Singha Light now 4.5% alcohol

Guderian

21 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I have tried contacting Boown Rawd in the past via email with no response what so ever, however when I could get no response from the email I went to their Facebook page and sent a message there, I got a response in a day or so.

Well what was the response??

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/2/2017 at 9:52 AM, Guderian said:

Adding lemonade to a Light beer isn't going to do your waistline much good.

Singha Light contains only about two thirds the calories  of the 5% Thai beers. If that helps.

Here's the official Singha Light webpage:

http://www.singha.com/singhalight/home.html

Only shows the old bottles and there's  no mention of the change to 4.5%.

In fact, there's a notice in Thai about a 4% beer but that isn't the old or new versions, so what on earth are they going on about? What a waste of a website.

Edited by Guderian

46 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Here's the official Singha Light webpage:

http://www.singha.com/singhalight/home.html

Only shows the old bottles and there's  no mention of any changes. In other words, the Boon Rawd brewery website is a complete waste of time.

It does state it is 4% alcohol but 3.5% rounded up is 4 I suppose.

We just noticed this official site Singha beer says 3.5 % been a regular fan for 2 years . reckon this is counterfeit beer tastes shit and gives you a formaldehyde instant hangover avoid at all costs . If you are in a bar show them the singha beer site and refuse to buy it ask for a free replacement  Singha Light is 3.5 % period 

Was lucky and managed to get some bottles of the 3,5% at nearby 7-11.
Quite surprised as they usually have high turnover of product but probably not of Singha light it seems.

2 hours ago, ddraig92 said:

We just noticed this official site Singha beer says 3.5 % been a regular fan for 2 years . reckon this is counterfeit beer tastes shit and gives you a formaldehyde instant hangover avoid at all costs . If you are in a bar show them the singha beer site and refuse to buy it ask for a free replacement  Singha Light is 3.5 % period 

I tried one bottle and agree about the taste, I thought it tasted like it had been made from rye like the old UK colt 45 but not tasting quite as strong. When 3.5% light disappears I will be drinking 5% normal Singha, don't even think about Tiger light at 4.1% it's even more disgusting than the new light.

Just back from BigC and noted that the large bottles are now 52 (prev 48) and the small 32 (prev 28). Possibly someone did not feel that 3.5% was generating enough duty/tax so suggested the increase. For the moment it does not affect me as the local wholesalers supplying the bars seem to have adequate stock of the old gear.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:21 PM, sandrabbit said:

I tried one bottle and agree about the taste, I thought it tasted like it had been made from rye like the old UK colt 45 but not tasting quite as strong. When 3.5% light disappears I will be drinking 5% normal Singha, don't even think about Tiger light at 4.1% it's even more disgusting than the new light.

I used to like Tiger Light. Just goes to show.

A friend got a phone call from the Singha publicity department after sending them an email asking the reasons why they changed  Singha Light. It seems they did a survey and people said the alcohol content was too low, I presume the survey was conducted amongst Thai and didn't include any foreigners. When he tried to tell the caller that so many of his friends (us expats) really liked the beer because of the lower alcohol content she just said she wasn't management and he had the same reply when stating it was pointless having 2 beers similar in alcohol content. It's game over so I'll drink something else other than the new Singha light when the places I frequent have run out. I was also told a friend bought 18 cases of Singha light cans from Makro because he likes it so much.

Interesting one that. So they took note of the ones who don't buy it because of the low alcohol and ignored the ones who do buy it because of low alcohol. Well I won't drink any Singha when the current stocks of Light run out. Probably do as previous, Tiger Light when I can get it, Leo, Tiger, Heineken or whatever when I can't.

Might go to the place nearby that does Chang Draught, I like that but can't take to the bottled stuff.

Also knocks my theory into a cocked hat. :sad:

Edited by rott

18 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

A friend got a phone call from the Singha publicity department after sending them an email asking the reasons why they changed  Singha Light. It seems they did a survey and people said the alcohol content was too low, I presume the survey was conducted amongst Thai and didn't include any foreigners. When he tried to tell the caller that so many of his friends (us expats) really liked the beer because of the lower alcohol content she just said she wasn't management and he had the same reply when stating it was pointless having 2 beers similar in alcohol content. It's game over so I'll drink something else other than the new Singha light when the places I frequent have run out. I was also told a friend bought 18 cases of Singha light cans from Makro because he likes it so much.

Not much of a surprise as Thais are more concerned with beer's strength than taste. With all the local beers here there's not one very good one only a few that are just drinkable.

I'm concentrating on stocking up with the 3.5 Singa Light. My local Big C still has the large bottles of the old stuff and I've found a supermarket that still has supplies of the old cans - not telling though. Haven't decided what to drink when supplies run out as I agree with those who feel Tiger Light is awful.

The other aspect to this is that the old Singha Light had the lowest calorie content as well as the lowest alcohol content. Now they've jacked up the alcohol by 30% does anybody believe that it's still got the lowest calorie count? They probably asked the Thais who said that as well as more alcohol it needed more sugar to make it taste decent.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

The other aspect to this is that the old Singha Light had the lowest calorie content as well as the lowest alcohol content. Now they've jacked up the alcohol by 30% does anybody believe that it's still got the lowest calorie count? They probably asked the Thais who said that as well as more alcohol it needed more sugar to make it taste decent.

Easy to calculate on the basis of alcohol content:

330mls 3.5% by vol contains 11.55 ml (~9.1g) ethanol, at 7 cals per gram = 63.9 calories from alcohol

330mls 4.5% by vol contains 14.85 ml (~11.7g) ethanol, at 7 cals per gram = 82.1 calories from alcohol

Have to guess how much other stuff is in it.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:11 PM, sandrabbit said:

That's why we're individuals, it was also the same price in Big C as normal Singha. 

In your BigC the Light is the same price as the normal Singha? That is a large increase, in mine the normal Singha is 59. So that would make it a rise of over 20%.

Not much of a surprise as Thais are more concerned with beer's strength than taste. With all the local beers here there's not one very good one only a few that are just drinkable.
I'm concentrating on stocking up with the 3.5 Singa Light. My local Big C still has the large bottles of the old stuff and I've found a supermarket that still has supplies of the old cans - not telling though. Haven't decided what to drink when supplies run out as I agree with those who feel Tiger Light is awful.

Good point with the alcohol content.
Many people I ask about their favourite beer say Chang because of the slightly higher alcohol content.
Same goes for liquor, many just drink whiskey because it's strong and cheap but dislike the taste. Duh... [emoji36]

I was talking about Tiger light not Singha light pricing.

'In your BigC the Light is the same price as the normal Singha? That is a large increase, in mine the normal Singha is 59. So that would make it a rise of over 20%.'

Edited by sandrabbit

9 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I dont undertsand whyyy. Im a huge singa light fan. It is nice having a couple of beers without feeling to woozy. 4.5% is full strengh... u cant call it light anymore..

plus it tastes awful, I don't know anyone who likes the taste of the new Singha light.

1 hour ago, 7000gods said:

This is rather lovely....115bht.

20170518_124415.thumb.jpg.3b3fac7da0da167eaebb39f5edfe2f20.jpg

I like Leffe but it's 180 baht a bottle in our local bar and it's too easy to drink, it doesn't taste like a high alcohol beer.

Agree with the majority on here, not happy about the changes to the old Singha light going from 3.5 to 4.5 % the taste has changed as well and not for the better.

I have been trying to drink Tiger light, but, find it so hit and miss, bars with high turnover seem ok, but others with older slower moving stock seem to have Tiger light that is going off, the taste from one bar to another is just too different.

Hopefully the brewery will receive enough feedback through lower sales of new product to revert back to the old singha light, .....I wont hold my breath though!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been back in Britain for the last month and will return to Thailand in 10 days and  I haven’t been much bothered about the loss of my favourite Thai beer.

So may I ask people who were drinking the 3.5% alcohol Singha Light before what they have switched to since the alcohol content went up to 4.5%?

• - did you stick with the new, less light Singha Light?
  • -did you switch to another lightish beer like Tiger Light?
  • -did you take to watering down the beer with something like lemonade or ice to reduce its strength?
  • -did you give up on Light beers and change to a standard strength 5% beer, but maybe a lowish calorie content one like San Mig Light?
  • -did you give up drinking beer?

I’m curious as perhaps somebody has found a good alternative to the old beer and they’d let us share it?

Thanks.