Tomatoes

Has anyone tried to grow tomatoes and chillies in pots here?

Got some tomato and chilli seeds from the uk.

started them off in plastic pot and then transplaned to big pots.

they grew but were very 'leggy'.

Flowered and then the flowers fell off but no fruit.

The soil in white bags purchased from a garden centre didn't seem very good, not all like the coir compost I used in the UK.

Anybody got any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

I live in Kata if thats any help.

Many thanks

Charlie has already moved your topic to the correct Forum - here.

Tomatoes love full sun, and lots of water... but not wet feet.

Use good draining soil and mix some coconut fibre with it to create a free draining mix... and water it well.

/Edit: a search of the Forum produces quite a number of topics discussing tomatoes - see here.

We  - that is my wife - grew some Ailsa Craig Tomatoes, which we've just finished eating. They were so good.

Grew them in pots with the white bag soil, but they were very leggy.

Lazada has various bags of soil, might order some later.

Not sure about the bags of soil and types of. I lost a few plants using the very black type of bagged soil, it tended to go quite sour and smelled a bit like poo!!

After I mixed it with chopped coconut husk and gravel I managed to save the last two ghost chilli plants. All the rest rotted.

Don't know if that helps.

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I lost a few plants using the very black type of bagged soil, it tended to go quite sour and smelled a bit like poo!!

After I mixed it with chopped coconut husk and gravel I managed to save the last two ghost chilli plants. All the rest rotted.

Soil should not smell sour... that sounds like poor drainage and would have given your plants "wet feet" therefore they rotted.

The gravel and coconut husk/fibre would have helped significantly with the drainage.

16 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Soil should not smell sour... that sounds like poor drainage and would have given your plants "wet feet" therefore they rotted.

The gravel and coconut husk/fibre would have helped significantly with the drainage.

The soil was actually well drained but sort of went solid. The stuff still in the bags did smell quite badly of poo when opened. God knows what was in it.

??

I generally add some sharp sand to this bag soil you buy... or if available in your area rice husks would help also. Usually about 20% or so by volume

The soil should not create a firm ball in your had if you squeeze to...

Add pebbles/ rock / broken pots at bottom of pots to cover but not block drain holes, to help with drainage. 

If the soil smells sour, it may have been in a wet location for too long (during rain or floods) 

• 2 weeks later...

This is primarily a pets forum, with an occasional plant topic.  The best experienced grower discussions are in the Farming in Thailand forum and Organic subforum. Search there for a multitude of tomato discussions over the last few years.

Archived