BMA bans all street food across Bangkok this year

webfact

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, comeondoit said:

This again is one of the typical green table decisions of people with the power and money ( there have been numerous examples recently, e.g. the beaches, the pick up carrying passengers, a tourist minister saying to ban the sex industry and so on ) , who never are eating street food and once more again they are empting the bath including the child in it. Why they cannot do something by just fighting the abuses, giving some rules and enforcing these rules? That is pure dictatorship, the bad results of losing the job is not hitting those well paid people.....I am sorry for Thailand, they slowly dismantle the country from things which are unique and may tourists are coming for

Yes how dare they protect the lifes of passengers in the back of a pick up right?

It seems as if Bangkok is following the London model of gentrification. Which has seen historial working class areas lile Hackney and Shoreditch beutified and redesigned. Driving up house prices and rents making it unaffordable for the locals. 

Is Bangkok going to become the hipster hub of the East. Thai men sporting lumberjack shirts and beards while drinking deconstruted coffee??? 

Totally agree, and this scheme has failed totally...
The only ones who profits are land owners or real estate developers [emoji36]

3 minutes ago, chado said:

I think they should do it, the more horrible -- the better. they'll see the consequences of their regulations pretty soon -- decline of tourists, more poverty and .... cheaper prostitutes as a result.

Yes cheaper prostitutes its great how you are still able to see benifits for your self in everything even when the topic is streetfoods.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes cheaper prostitutes its great how you are still able to see benifits for your self in everything even when the topic is streetfoods.

To be honest most of the prostitutes catering to the "farang" market are probably rich enough to eat mall foodcourt food, so are unlikely to drop their prices.:sad:

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

To be honest most of the prostitutes catering to the "farang" market are probably rich enough to eat mall foodcourt food, so are unlikely to drop their prices.:sad:

Mate i don't know but the 2 topics have not much to do with eachother.I assume the poster likes to eat streetfood while thinking about prostitutes?

They should allocate an area in or close by the area they already occupy and let them trade there. Love or hate them, street food sellers it is a intricate part of Thailand. Without them Bangkok becomes just another faceless city.

Edited by gandalf12

2 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Some real winners running this place. They have no idea what makes thailand good and why people come here . 

Cnn just told them whats great about bangkok. 2 years in a row.

This government does not care about tourism or its people. 

Tanks and submarines baby. Hooya

I thought I heard that CNN was fake news...I guess CNN is fine when it serves a specific agenda when needed........

2 hours ago, doremifasol said:

I couldn't care less about Thai street food which I stop buying

some 10 years a go. Buying street food in Thailand  equals to me

as overdosing on MSG, sugar and oils. 

No thanks

David Thompson is an Australian Chef, author and world authority on Thai food having been voted  n#1 thai chef and cooked for the palace.  He owns a number of resturants around the world including in Bangkok.  He produced and presented a 12 part series for aust t.v totled thai street food, good from across the country not just bkk.  He described it as his passion and inspiration and the best food.  The heart and life of thai culture.  Cheap nutritious and vital for Thai economy.

No thanks

I'll tell you a secret: you can ask them not put sugar and msg. No thanks.

20 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You've confused cause and effect.

Everytime it is the @#$%^&* same in Thailand.

There is no grey, there is only black and white: we let everything go, totally unregulated or we totally cut it down to zero!

Same with the beach chairs and cheap restaurant on the beaches!

For decades, we don't give a sh1t and suddenly, we just tear everything down (and allow to build it up again, after money is paid under the table).

Sit down, come up with some sensible regulation (hygene my @$$!)!

No thanks

You are aware though, that whatever YOU think, might not be interesting, because literally millions of Thais think different!

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

I must say that walking (actually walking, not slowly shuffling thru the gauntlet) on Sukhumvit from about Soi 7 to Nana is SO much pleasanter now that that the sidewalk vendors have been cleared out.

Ah just like home the way you like it

Can someone protect the people and BKK from such idiotic ideas? Guess there are many other important problems to solve.

Every time I'm in BKK, most of these places are crushing full. And I prefer to eat in there too. Many people, no matter what stand, are there to eat and are dependent on these street restaurants. Mostlikely these BMA guys too.... 

And a lot of these kitchens offer real good food. If not avoid it and choose another one.

One of my good friends and his family own such a transportable kitchen, they are close to my home and I eat there almost every day. Good food, good selection, every day different dishes, I NEVER got sick and for 50 Baht I am more than full.....  it is of course cheaper than restaurants (mostly closed when I want my lunch) and it is cheaper than cooking yourself if you live alone and when you're busy with work. 

I hope the city where I live will not come up with such idiotic ideas.

23 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Mate i don't know but the 2 topics have not much to do with eachother.I assume the poster likes to eat streetfood while thinking about prostitutes?

Not really: no streetfood -> more people without a job and being able to make a living -> more ex steet vendor women would have to find other way to make a living -> some of them would have to become a prostitute, at least do it from time to time. How else can it be?

How CNN can make such an announcement defies my logic. The report in my opinion is an insult to many other great cities.

Diverse plus great tasting food can be found in numerous cites world wide, served outdoors, in appropriately run and conducted businesses.

Many street vendors in BBK create mess and pollution. Block or restrict the public rights of way making navigating the pavements very dangerous at times, especially for the elderly, infirm or parents/guardians with young children or infants.

The food is normally exposed to bacteria, pollution and prepared/cooked, stored inadequately.

Bangkok is a major city, not an open street market. It's time business owners wise-up and insure they provide a clean, hygienic and safe environment for their customers, plus tourists

For so long, it's been far too an Irresponsible way of making a living.

Whilst at it, get rid of those annoying street vendors selling t-shirts, socks and the rest of the cxxp etc, who also infringe on people's right-of-way. They too make the city resemble a filthy, uncontrolled, open market place you'd normally find in very rural villages, and in my view, they too also seem to think that they have special rights and privileges!

Greedy! Comes to my mind. Clean the city up. I'm in full support of this move. Make Bangkok a clean and safe place to enjoy. It can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

why all this bullshit

just tell all tourists please leave thailand, that is where all this new rules lead to

thailand must have a shitload of money stashed away,somewhere

but none of the thai people i know have it

where is this pot of gold???

45 minutes ago, MobileContent said:

Looks to me they want to get rid of the people of Isaan to send them back upcountry. Most street vendors I know are from isaan and if their are no opportunity for them they will have to return back to the provinces.

But there is nothing for them at home. I think it is more likely many will be forced to turn to hustling and petty crime.

14 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Ah just like home the way you like it

Obviously you haven't lived in the area and had to deal with the issue daily. Do that and you'll understand perfectly.

6 minutes ago, pentap said:

How CNN can make such an announcement defies my logic. The report in my opinion is an insult to many other great cities.

Diverse plus great tasting food can be found in numerous cites world wide, served outdoors, in appropriately run and conducted businesses.

Many street vendors in BBK create mess and pollution. Block or restrict the public rights of way making navigating the pavements very dangerous at times, especially for the elderly, infirm or parents/guardians with young children or infants.

The food is normally exposed to bacteria, pollution and prepared/cooked, stored inadequately.

Bangkok is a major city, not an open street market. It's time business owners wise-up and insure they provide a clean, hygienic and safe environment for their customers, plus tourists

Whilst at it, get rid of those annoying street vendors selling t-shirts, socks and the rest of the cxxp etc, who also infringe on people's right-of-way. They too make the city resemble a filthy, uncontrolled, open market place you'd normally find in very rural villages, and in my view, they too also seem to think that they have special rights and privileges!

Greedy! Comes to my mind. Clean the city up. I'm in full support of this move. Make Bangkok a clean and safe place to enjoy. It can be done.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. One thing, though - how do you suggest those affected make a living in the future?

13 minutes ago, chado said:

Not really: no streetfood -> more people without a job and being able to make a living -> more ex steet vendor women would have to find other way to make a living -> some of them would have to become a prostitute, at least do it from time to time. How else can it be?

I think they can maybe find a job as a staff in an indoor restaurant.your prostitution assumption is very speculative to say the least.

12 minutes ago, pentap said:

I sure dont want to live in your ultra clean ultra sanitized

ultra boring dream city...

For the sake of a better word, the BMA should have the smart to use the word "reorganize" rather than "ban". There are merits in reorganizing the street vendors to certain locations for reasons of  hygiene, traffic, safety and overall eating experience. BMA should also toughen the enforcement of laws to eradicate  illegal payment to the police and BMA officers. 

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I think they can maybe find a job as a staff in an indoor restaurant.your prostitution assumption is very speculative to say the least.

All the street vendors can get jobs at Starbucks,Mcdonalds

and Pizza Hut.....Or maybe jumping off a bridge would be better?

Edited by fforest1