Thai wife shopping for new pickup

Gary A

We are also shopping for a New Pickup.

Already spoken to Mitsubishi and Isuzu, but Mitsubishi only lets you test drive for max 10 minutes and that is IMHO way too short for a decent test drive.

Isuzu on the other hand is more then willing to let you have a decent test drive.

But Mitsubishi offer (at the moment (and haven't spoken to Toyota yet)) the biggest discount and most freebies (Free insurance for example which Isuzu doesn't offer)

Next stop next week is Toyota.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are also shopping for a New Pickup.

Already spoken to Mitsubishi and Isuzu, but Mitsubishi only lets you test drive for max 10 minutes and that is IMHO way too short for a decent test drive.

Isuzu on the other hand is more then willing to let you have a decent test drive.

But Mitsubishi offer (at the moment (and haven't spoken to Toyota yet)) the biggest discount and most freebies (Free insurance for example which Isuzu doesn't offer)

Next stop next week is Toyota.

Once you decide on the model, then I recommend you go to different showrooms and see who offers you the best deal. You will see they are very keen and will offer you more. The minimum you should get is red plates, insurance, full tank, film+car decoration, some discount on the price and maybe some other freebies. Just don't settle quickly. I had 3 Toyota showrooms involved when buying my car.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Robert24 said:

Once you decide on the model, then I recommend you go to different showrooms and see who offers you the best deal. You will see they are very keen and will offer you more. The minimum you should get is red plates, insurance, full tank, film+car decoration, some discount on the price and maybe some other freebies. Just don't settle quickly. I had 3 Toyota showrooms involved when buying my car.

Thanks, but yes that is what we are planning to do, we just have started looking.

My guess is that dealers know when you are a cash buying customer they tend not to like this but are willing to offer more discounts to people who buy the car on finance, but that is just guessing.

We haven't talked to Toyota yet, but the favorite at the moment (of the ones we looked at) is the Isuzu V Cross MAX 4x4 but as said with this one No Free Insurance, but an extra discount of 20k because we are from the same province as the dealer :huh:. I already talked to our insurance and the Insurance premium for that car is 24k (1st class). Wait time for this model is btw 1 Month.

Next week we will go hunting again ;)

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thanks, but yes that is what we are planning to do, we just have started looking.

My guess is that dealers know when you are a cash buying customer they tend not to like this but are willing to offer more discounts to people who buy the car on finance, but that is just guessing.

We haven't talked to Toyota yet, but the favorite at the moment (of the ones we looked at) is the Isuzu V Cross MAX 4x4 but as said with this one No Free Insurance, but an extra discount of 20k because we are from the same province as the dealer :huh:. I already talked to our insurance and the Insurance premium for that car is 24k (1st class). Wait time for this model is btw 1 Month.

You are right about the "finance" thing and freebies.

10 hours ago, MJCM said:

I bought a new 2015 Isuzu V-Cross and got the first year of insurance as well as a 45,000 baht discount. I saved 15,000 baht between two dealers.

13 hours ago, Gary A said:

I bought a new 2015 Isuzu V-Cross and got the first year of insurance as well as a 45,000 baht discount. I saved 15,000 baht between two dealers.

Hi Gary ... How is the choosing going ... she has made her mind up yet ...:smile:

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Hi Gary ... How is the choosing going ... she has made her mind up yet ...:smile:

Since the old Nissan Frontier was probably the best vehicle I ever owned, she wants to have a long look at the Nissans. The Mitsubishi is still on the top of her list. She appears to have cooled off a bit and remarked yesterday the the Ford Focus is still a pretty nice car and we can afford to keep it repaired. The car has only a bit over 70,000 kilometers on it. I'm keeping my mouth closed. :sleep:

19 hours ago, Gary A said:

We have been to 2 Isuzu dealers (both I must say are in the same province) and they both said "No Free Insurance". But we are not deterred by this and are going in the next couple of days (I hope as the school season is starting soon) to dealers in the neighboring province (only a 70km drive ;) )

Edited by MJCM

We have been to 2 Isuzu dealers (both I must say are in the same province) and they both said "No Free Insurance". But we are not deterred by this and are going in the next couple of days (I hope as the school season is starting soon) to dealers in the neighboring province (only a 70km drive [emoji6] )

Yes ultimately it doesn't matter which dealer you buy it from. Get it from the one with the best deal.

Update. We have been to Toyota.

A longer test drive no problem whatsoever, need one day max notice.

Looked at the Revo 4x4 2.8. They initially offer 50k discount.

The 50k you can spend however you want, for example insurance comes out of that 50k discount but also liner, film etc etc.

IMHO not really a good deal, but this was the first dealer.

2 things that we didn't like from the Revo at 1st glance.

1- that big ... screen in the centre console
2- only the drivers seat is electronically adjustable the front passenger seat you have to do it manually, that is a real disappointment for a car with a price tag well over a Million THB

Waiting time is 2.5-3 weeks max and real license plates take about the same

So Isuzu V Cross is still the number 1 for us

Toyota did offer her a 30,000 baht discount plus the first year insurance. Toyota has called her several times. They wanted to give her a large screen TV and a lot of plastic trim junk in lieu of the discount. We don't need a large screen TV nor any of the trim junk. A bed liner was also included.

I have busted my own bubble about the VCross :annoyed:

The Isuzu sales guy called and asked if we are interested and just out of curiosity/seeking confirmation I asked him if both the driver and the passenger seat are electronically adjustable and to my UTTER surprise he said NO, only the Drivers seat is electronically adjustable.

A typical Som Nam Na thing this as it states it also in the brochure, but one thing (in my own defense if I may) is that the brochure is only in Thai and my Thai reading is not sufficient enough :whistling:

The Isuzu sales guy called and asked if we are interested and just out of curiosity/seeking confirmation I asked him if both the driver and the passenger seat are electronically adjustable and to my UTTER surprise he said NO, only the Drivers seat is electronically adjustable.

A typical Som Nam Na thing this as it states it also in the brochure, but one thing (in my own defense if I may) is that the brochure is only in Thai and my Thai reading is not sufficient enough :whistling:

I think all the top end trucks are set up like that, aren't they?

At least if you discard the Isuzu, you won't end up with worst riding of the bunch.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

At least if you discard the Isuzu, you won't end up with worst riding of the bunch.

Did you ever own a Isuzu V-cross ? Surely not.

Did you ever own a Isuzu V-cross ? Surely not.

We use my wife's uncle's one sometimes when in Udon. It's a 2-3 years old now and definitely a dig step down from our Ranger in every department. My wife is especially unimpressed by it.

I've not seen anything from Isuzu over the last couple of years that would close the gap by very much.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I really do not understand this. Because only the driverseat is electrical adjustable you discard the VCross ?
The main reason why only the driverseat is adjustable is cost.
The reason why the driverseat is easy adjustable is because at time, when driving, you maybe want to change your position behind the wheel, and/or because it is an pickup, the vehicle is likely to have more then one driver and therefore it is comfortable and easy to adjust the seat.

The Ford Focus has the driver's side electric seat. It does not have a memory so it is actually a pain. Slow moving. I try not to drive the car unless absolutely necessary.

The V-Cross has a manual driver's seat. The height is apparently hydraulic. It has a handle on the side to raise or lower it. A lever adjusts forward and back and the seat moves very easily. The backrest also has a lever and adjusts easily.

If the electric seat doesn't have a memory, I'd much prefer a manually adjustable seat. Much quicker to get the Isuzu seat back to where I want it.

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

We use my wife's uncle's one sometimes when in Udon. It's a 2-3 years old now and definitely a dig step down from our Ranger in every department. My wife is especially unimpressed by it.

I've not seen anything from Isuzu over the last couple of years that would close the gap by very much.

Pretty spot on ... however when the New D-Max came out in 2012 the TOR V-Cross was somewhat ahead of it's competitors. Now the Ford is pretty much in the same position if you can ignore the service side.

Next Monday my EV T+ goes in for it's 18 month service ... here's hoping .......:smile:  

The Ford Focus has the driver's side electric seat. It does not have a memory so it is actually a pain. Slow moving. I try not to drive the car unless absolutely necessary.

The V-Cross has a manual driver's seat. The height is apparently hydraulic. It has a handle on the side to raise or lower it. A lever adjusts forward and back and the seat moves very easily. The backrest also has a lever and adjusts easily.

If the electric seat doesn't have a memory, I'd much prefer a manually adjustable seat. Much quicker to get the Isuzu seat back to where I want it.

Agreed. Electric seats are a pita.

My missus is 5' I'm well over 6' - a manually adjustable seat is much quicker and easier for us. Same goes for electrically foldable rear seats and tailgates.

14 hours ago, tonboy said:

I really do not understand this. Because only the driverseat is electrical adjustable you discard the VCross ?
The main reason why only the driverseat is adjustable is cost.
The reason why the driverseat is easy adjustable is because at time, when driving, you maybe want to change your position behind the wheel, and/or because it is an pickup, the vehicle is likely to have more then one driver and therefore it is comfortable and easy to adjust the seat.

No No No.

Don't forget we are willing to buy a car with a price tag well over 1 Million THB and not a loaf of bread. So if we are going to spend that amount of money we want everything to be perfect. Wouldn't you ?

V Cross is still the Number 1 for us.

The Triton is surely in last place as we have tried and we can't get a longer test drive then 10 minutes and that test drive is a MUST for us. A guy in the village has the "OLD" Trition and we have driven that, and we didn't like it, but the Sales person told us that the ride quality of the "NEW" Triton is a lot better (that's what the sales lady said, but I feel that's what she has to say to make a sale ;) )

On 5/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, MINIMIGLIA said:

Gary go to the Mitsubishi dealer in Prukadun they are very good for negotiations.

It looks like a ride to Pukradung to see about the Mitsubishi is in order. But, another development. Isuzu is back up to the top of the list if she orders one. The two door extended cab Hi-Lander can be ordered with the automatic transmission and a leather interior. It is 100,000 baht cheaper than a Toyota that doesn't have a leather interior or keyless ignition. Toyota is out because the interior is too ugly and too expensive for what you get.

On 2017-5-3 at 7:16 PM, JaseTheBass said:

Another informative post from our duty Ranger fan boy. Your other half sounds as knowledgable as you when it comes to motoring stuff. As for the dude going on about electric seats, your buying a truck, want bells/whistles buy a Camry or Accord.

1.2 mill Baht for something with leaf spring suspension. Fools and their money. 

Another informative post from our duty Ranger fan boy. Your other half sounds as knowledgable as you when it comes to motoring stuff. As for the dude going on about electric seats, your buying a truck, want bells/whistles buy a Camry or Accord.
1.2 mill Baht for something with leaf spring suspension. Fools and their money. 

Not my fault the Isuzu is bottom of the pile.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

5 hours ago, Kumiankka said:

Benz is introducing its pick-up line next autumn. Wonder if they will be available @ Thailand?

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A3003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I think I read somewhere that will be produced in Brazil?  Dunno, could be wrong.  But the Benz is based on the Nissan, and the Navara seems about as popular as a turd in a fruit salad in Thailand - and they don't seem to be able to get the coil spring rear suspension right.

Of course, once it has the three-pointed star on the bonnet / hood, all will be forgiven!  

7 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not my fault the Isuzu is bottom of the pile.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

It is near bottom of the pile in bells and whistles, no doubt.  But it is on my short list coz it dominates in Thailand out in the sticks.  If I was buying in Oz I'd be getting a Ranger or a Navara, no doubt.  But for Isaan?  Isuzu.  Or a Toyota if I wanted to burn an extra B150k or so.  Horses for courses. 

I think the resale value of the Rangers says it all - low demand on the second hand market.  Why might that be?  

It is near bottom of the pile in bells and whistles, no doubt.  But it is on my short list coz it dominates in Thailand out in the sticks.  If I was buying in Oz I'd be getting a Ranger or a Navara, no doubt.  But for Isaan?  Isuzu.  Or a Toyota if I wanted to burn an extra B150k or so.  Horses for courses. 

I think the resale value of the Rangers says it all - low demand on the second hand market.  Why might that be?  

Just curious, what is in high demand in the second hand market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, what is in high demand in the second hand market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the second hand market and primary market are similar. Low demand for Ford Rangers. High demand for Isuzu and Toyota. In addition the resale value for Ford Rangers is very low similar to Chevrolet. So if you believe in Ford or Chevy cars, buy a second hand one, you can get very good deals.