Thai wife shopping for new pickup

Gary A

Another informative post from our duty Ranger fan boy. Your other half sounds as knowledgable as you when it comes to motoring stuff. As for the dude going on about electric seats, your buying a truck, want bells/whistles buy a Camry or Accord. 1.2 mill Baht for something with leaf spring suspension. Fools and their money.   

We had a camry 2.4v when we lived in the city, but we changed that for a PJS when we moved to sticks because of the bad roads. I would be afraid to take the Camry out and loose a spoiler or side skirts.

We just want the Truck when we (for example) long haul and need to carry a lot of stuff, the PJS has just not enough luggage space for that. And btw the truck we are looking at is just over 1 million and a Camry is double that and still hasn't got the luggage space.

So please don't judge before you know all the details. :wai:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We had a camry 2.4v when we lived in the city, but we changed that for a PJS when we moved to sticks because of the bad roads. I would be afraid to take the Camry out and loose a spoiler or side skirts.

We just want the Truck when we (for example) long haul and need to carry a lot of stuff, the PJS has just not enough luggage space for that. And btw the truck we are looking at is just over 1 million and a Camry is double that and still hasn't got the luggage space.

So please don't judge before you know all the details. :wai:

I don't live in the country, but the local roads were bad enough for me to trade the Jazz in on an Isuzu, and now a Triton.

I don't live in the country, but the local roads were bad enough for me to trade the Jazz in on an Isuzu, and now a Triton.

+1. From our house to good tarmac is around 4 km and 60% of that is riddled with potholes and its getting worse every day (especially after heavy rains) some stretches you can't even evade them. Good luck driving that every day with a Jazz or a Camry and not sustain any damage in the long run.

During the holiday season, there are always those "low riders" that come from Bkk or whatever and come to visit family , they drive those cars only 2 times on these roads( 1 time coming into the village and the 2nd time when going back home) the rest of the time they borrow their family pickup

10 hours ago, moojar said:

the Navara seems about as popular as a turd in a fruit salad in Thailand - and they don't seem to be able to get the coil spring rear suspension right.

They had leaf springs in Thailand and the coils have just been done away with overseas too.

Not sure why it's not seeling that well. It's reasonably attractive (especially when compared to the Mazda, Mitsu or Toyota) and is second only to the Ford & Mazdas on the road.

They had leaf springs in Thailand and the coils have just been done away with overseas too.

Not sure why it's not seeling that well. It's reasonably attractive (especially when compared to the Mazda, Mitsu or Toyota) and is second only to the Ford & Mazdas on the road.

It's all about tax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^  

What is it about tax on the Navara?  Oh, having coil springs would attract more tax coz then it's not a "truck"?   That makes a certain amount of sense if you squint, look at it sideways and *don't* think it through properly.  

The Navara sold in Oz still have the coil springs on the dual-cab models btw - current reviews are talking about this year's "series II", how Nissan still haven't fixed the bottoming out / sagging under load issue.  Standard test load is 650kg.   http://www.caradvice.com.au/534526/2017-nissan-navara-series-ii-dual-cab-review/  They also say the Navara may underpin the next Generation of Mitsi Triton too.  That will be interesting to observe, they sell a lot of Tritons in Thailand. 

So, that's a good lesson shopping for a truck innit?  No point looking at the offshore models, they may not match the local models in key areas.  The Navara sold in Oz has 6 airbags (Thailand 2) and a newer 2.3l twin-turbo engine (Thailand 2.5l).  The last two are obvious but you may not notice the leaf / coil difference.  Not until it bounces you out of your seat on an Issan "road" that is.  :tongue:    It's just a shame some of the Thai websites are so poor - Isuzu's is a shocker.  

Is Subaru in Thailand? We've had two Subaru 4wd wagons here in NZ and love them..never saw any Subaru's in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes but not too many dealers and I read somewhere that the ones here are far inferior to 'western' models. Lots of horror stories in Thailand about their reliability on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk