Citizens file police complaint over missing plaque

webfact

Does this furore strike anyone else as grossly silly? Destroy our constitutions, sabotage our elections, limit our representation, put a vise on our freedom of expression. Fine. We won't raise a fuss. Remove the 1932 plaque. NOT THE PLAQUE! Time for concerned citizens to jump into action!

Stubbornly, I continued my search for the date when the original plaque was installed, saw how the news of its mysterious disappearance went around the world, and finally found that the plaque was originally put in place in 1936:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/04/15/1932-revolution-plaque-important/

Thank you, Khaosod English.

Edited by Puccini

4 minutes ago, debate101 said:

Does this furore strike anyone else as grossly silly? Destroy our constitutions, sabotage our elections, limit our representation, put a vise on our freedom of expression. Fine. We won't raise a fuss. Remove the 1932 plaque. NOT THE PLAQUE! Time for concerned citizens to jump into action!

Politicians especially the one from the party that proudly associate themselves as democratic should speak out. The oldest party in the country has roots in the form of members of the Khana Ratsadon who laid the plague and a member was the past leader of the Dem Party. We well know where the present leader allegiance with his silence.

6 hours ago, nikmar said:

The police were also keeping guard.

No, it was Sgt Schultz! :cheesy:

Okay for those who may not understand the joke - from a TV comedy about a German POW camp where a character, Sgt Schultz, was always saying: "I know nothing".

Edited by lvr181
Clarification

1 hour ago, debate101 said:

Whatever it takes.  History has shown that it's comparatively minor act to spark something much bigger in the face of gross injustice.  One poor man in Tunisia who's fruit cart (his source of income) was seized by police set himself on fire, and in doing so he set great swathes of the Middle East and North Africa on fire. 

Whatever it takes.  History has shown that it's comparatively minor act to spark something much bigger in the face of gross injustice.  One poor man in Tunisia who's fruit cart (his source of income) was seized by police set himself on fire, and in doing so he set great swathes of the Middle East and North Africa on fire. 

Exactly! Which is why we use the term, "The straw that broke the camel's back". It's only one small thing, one final straw as it were, piled on top of a heap of injustices that will bring the whole system crashing down. Is the plaque the final straw? Probably not, but the straw is out there somewhere in the not too distant future. Prayuth would be wise to realise that he's run out of "Delay the election" cards.

14 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Exactly! Which is why we use the term, "The straw that broke the camel's back". It's only one small thing, one final straw as it were, piled on top of a heap of injustices that will bring the whole system crashing down. Is the plaque the final straw? Probably not, but the straw is out there somewhere in the not too distant future. Prayuth would be wise to realise that he's run out of "Delay the election" cards.

It certainly will not be the final straw. On one hand you have a more or less docile public. On the other, those who are quite prepared to kill anyone who does get too far out of line. Add to that the knowledge of those who are most likely behind it and how the junta will HAVE to put this one to bed by literally any means necessary. You aren't going to see me out in the streets, not given the stakes which are being gambled by the establishment. Somchai the bus driver is not that stupid either...

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I don't think this is going to be it though. For one thing, it's quite murky what the plaque itself represents. It seems that, far from being a celebration of a glorious people's/mass revolution (that intention, even if it had existed at the time, which is doubtful, got nowhere quickly), the plaque, installed some years later, was a ploy to legitimise the military dictatorship that quickly developed after the 1932 coup (as was the so-called Democracy Monument).

So the plaque is not actually what democracy activists night idealise it to be, but it actually marked the advent of the elite power system that persists today. It was a bit of PR to make the military/elites look good in the eyes of the people. One might even argue that as the elites put it there in the first place, they have the right to 'adjust' it to suit current circumstances, and even that the new plaque is actually less deceptive.

I'm no expert on Thai history. Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding this.

Edited by ddavidovsky