BMA backs away from street food ban, but adds conditions

webfact

BMA backs away from street food ban, but adds conditions
By The Nation

a847ba2726d8df0216a21676aa23a992.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Street food vendors in Bangkok will still be allowed in small alleys and designated areas, but they have to be properly managed to prevent negative impacts on other people, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has announced.

In s press conference on Thursday morning, Wanlop Suwandee, chief adviser to the Bangkok governor, said street vending in China Town’s Yaowarat and Khao San Road would still be allowed in zoned areas.

“The BMA plans to promote Yaowarat and Khao San Road as major tourist attractions in Bangkok. Street food and street vendors are still allowed in the zoned areas, as we are trying to make the areas tidy and clean, but sellers must comply with the law,” Wanlop said.

He added that street food vendors operating in small alleys would still be allowed, with the condition that they must not cause difficulties for other people.

The BMA also acknowledged that street food was integral to the soul of the city.

However, he said street food vendors would not be allowed to operate anywhere they chose, as was the practice in the past, because Bangkok had become a crowded city.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312815

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-20

I don't know why Thais come out with really stupid, unpopular ideas and then immediately do an abrupt about face to get to something approaching common sense once the general populace start screaming.

We had it with the pick up trucks, with policy changing by the hour, and now on a matter of great importance to many people and the city itself, we are getting it again.

And Given Bangkok has been voted the best street food in the world, trying to get rid of it would be most unwise.

"U Turn" after "U Turn" .  anyone keeping count?

All of us!

Dreaming!

"Thank god that the Thai authorities are not implementing any new major transport infrastructure projects! There would be so many ‘U Turns’ they would never get anywhere!"

Waking up!

What a nightmare!

They are!:shock1:

Edited by scottiejohn
edit

6 minutes ago, nuakmuaynina said:

I have never once been to Khao San Rd, nor do I intend to, far more interesting places in BKK.

I've lived here since 1992 and have been to Khao San once and Patpong about 4 times.  Enough for me!

1 hour ago, cunningstunt said:

Food carts in side sois cause total chaos. There is barely enough room for 2 lanes and they show up and you have one lane!

Lucky I live next to a bts and don't put up with it.

This is Thailand (TiT) i'm sure there is lots of room for you in your home country to walk the footpaths at will, airlines leave everyday.

people complain about immigrants wanting to change their adopted country, now non immigrants want to do it.

This is Thailand (TiT) i'm sure there is lots of room for you in your home country to walk the footpaths at will, airlines leave everyday.

people complain about immigrants wanting to change their adopted country, now non immigrants want to do it.

I guess you got agitated and did not read my post properly , the bit about I live next to a bts and doesn't affect me.

It clearly doesn't effect you either, out of sight out of mind eh?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't know why Thais come out with really stupid, unpopular ideas and then immediately do an abrupt about face to get to something approaching common sense once the general populace start screaming.

We had it with the pick up trucks, with policy changing by the hour, and now on a matter of great importance to many people and the city itself, we are getting it again.

And Given Bangkok has been voted the best street food in the world, trying to get rid of it would be most unwise.

Its a standard tactic all over the world.. bring something up that shocks everyone .. then come back with a milder version and get done what you really wanted to do.

How much salary do you want (most would say more so there is negotiation room). This is similar. 

2 hours ago, cunningstunt said:

Food carts in side sois cause total chaos. There is barely enough room for 2 lanes and they show up and you have one lane!

I'll bet quite a good proportion of Thai life gets on your tits by the sounds of it. 

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Spot on. So many of these TV posters moan endlessly about Thailand and why 'can't it and the people do things as we do at home'; yet...they're the first to bitch about immigration in their home country ruining things and bleating on about how immigrants don't integrate. 

I'll bet quite a good proportion of Thai life gets on your tits by the sounds of it. 

OMG lol.

I don't drive.

Did I say I want to change anything. Step back from the Hong tong my good friend

What's stressing you out dude? It's an open forum you can talk.

What is wrong with having street food in areas that can be cleaned properly once a day rather than everywhere where someone can set up a street side cart where there is no running water and no where to dump rubbish except in the gutter.

I don't eat street food, in fact I rarely eat Thai food, neither hold any appeal for me visually or taste wise.

Let it stay, let it be local but at least let it look and feel clean.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't know why Thais come out with really stupid, unpopular ideas and then immediately do an abrupt about face

It's not really Thais, but Thai authorities who relish doing what you described, and here is why:

'cause that's the way, ah-huh ah-huh, they like it, ah-huh ah-huh... (KC and the Sunshine Band)

16 hours ago, steve187 said:

The Thai Govt. approves the law and the self oppinionated like you choose not to respect. Get back under your rock. 

18 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Well this is a little better but there is a hell of a lot more to

Bangkok than Yaowarat and Khao San Road....... 

I do my best to avoid Khao San Road...

Khao San Road should be pedestrians only anyway. There's no need for vehicles to pass through there, excepting delivery trucks. 

17 hours ago, nuakmuaynina said:

I have never once been to Khao San Rd, nor do I intend to, far more interesting places in BKK.

In your opinion, but you might have noticed that it appeals to a huge number of others. So although the rules won't affect you,. they affect tens of thousands of others.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

because Bangkok had become a crowded city

Ummmm.....and so it was when I first came here almost 40 years ago!!! It was single file down Silom at night then until recently (except for "footpath works" adjacent to Sala Daeng BTS

19 hours ago, cunningstunt said:

The carts were there long before the cars, generations of families have been cooking on the streets, it's the traffic that needs sorting, motorists using side streets as 'rat runs'

Here is the fundamental problem with this Country, they are weak on policy. They introduce something, there is opposition to it, they wait, more opposition then they change the policy. From seat belts and riding in the back of pickups to street food and everything else. There seems to be this "let's throw it out there and see what happens" type of Governing. This is not NOT leading or Governing, it's popularity contest!

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's because they act before they think. The ability to recognize cause and effect, think critically, plan in advance of things happening, are not developed in the current education system or culture. This manifests itself in lots of ways which seem strange to us with our different education and culture. 

Examples are scenarios like this, always being late - often because they never think to allow enough time, never worrying about maintenance - no need till it's broken, etc etc etc.

Not right or wrong, just different.

Then add in the all import "face" and the always looking for a way to make an extra bit of money for doing nowt motivator and voila.