Phuket boy, 15, and mum survive motorbike slam into back of 10-wheeler

webfact

Phuket boy, 15, and mum survive motorbike slam into back of 10-wheeler

Eakkapop Thongtub

1492686922_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers arrived to find Andaman, 15, and his mum Ms Prapa, 42 – and their motorbike – all jammed under the truck. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 15-year-old youth and his mother escaped serious injury earlier today (April 20) after the youth fell asleep while driving the motorbike, which slammed into the back of a 10-wheeled truck parked by the side of the road.

Police were called to the scene, in front of Wat Srisoonthorn (Wat Lipon) on Thepkrasattri Rd, at 2:30pm.

Thalang Police and rescue workers arrived to find a Yamaha Fino jammed under the truck.

Also jammed under the truck were 15-year-old Andaman Tunpeuan and his mum, Prapa Chumak, 42.

Standing by beside the truck was its driver, Sunya Paenson, 42.

“I delivered goods to a customer near Super Cheap in Rassada this morning and I after I made the delivery I started to fall asleep at the wheel, so I pulled over to take a nap. That was at about 8-9am,” Mr Sunya told police.

Full story:  http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-boy-15-and-mum-survive-motorbike-slam-into-back-of-10-wheeler-61849.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-21

I'm extremely concerned about the level of narcolepsy in Phuket, i'ts rating right up there with 'the road was wet' and 'brake failure'. 

Is it just endemic to the Province or country-wide?

One driver pulls over because he is tired- the other ploughs into him because he is asleep!

Teenagers should not be allowed to drive motorbikes.

Just increase the sawngthaew services and raise the legal driving age to 20.

Anyone under 20 should be punished with hefty fines and confiscation of the motorbikes.

Crack down on them teens, they are dangerous.

Lots of people are falling asleep behind a wheel because there is little to no education in real driving scenarios 

Sure lots of rules but nothing about sleepiness  and driving .

On top of that people here let their unlicensed children drive bikes and cars

How stupid is that ?

9 hours ago, survivalblue said:

Teenagers should not be allowed to drive motorbikes.

Just increase the sawngthaew services and raise the legal driving age to 20.

Anyone under 20 should be punished with hefty fines and confiscation of the motorbikes.

Crack down on them teens, they are dangerous.

how do you feel about the ten and 12 year olds I see racing around? :post-4641-1156694572:

4 hours ago, oldgent said:

how do you fall asleep riding a motor cycle and its only 2.30pm. lucky to be alive

I think 'fell asleep' was code for. 'Wasn't paying attention, saw truck too late, applied brakes too hard and off we came'. At least they were wearing crash helmets. That's one saving grace.

Lucky pair. Hope they've learned their lesson.

Edited by Moonlover

It's easy said to lift the legal scooter driving age from 15 yr to 20 yr (which would be exceptional in international comparison). Even in European countries you can usually drive a (speed limited) scooter with 16 yr or so.

Many elder students/pupil depend heavily on scooter due to the meager/overcrowded public transport.

The outcry would be as loud as with the "no passengers on back of pickup".

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Probably been up all night playing cards & drinking as most 15 yr olds do !

Probably going to school in daytime and helping his mother working the rubber land starting at 1.30am. You guys have no plan how many poorer children/teens have to support the family to make a living.