Beware airline using your credit card details

AlfUK

I found out that my ex girlfriend managed to book a flight using my credit card details kept on file by a Thai airline.

I do not want to mention the company by name but it certainly took the smile from my face.   How can they do this?  My UK bank said it was fraud and I could get the person arrested.   However, the amount is not large and I do not want an ex girlfriend arrested so will let it go only to change my credit card.   Has anyone else had the same experience?  Thanks.

don't really understand the OP's message.

If she used your card details and obtained the air ticket then it's fraud but you are going to let it go.

Maybe she did it online and used all your details.

Most folks I imagine are quite cautious with their credit cards as i am,  however she must have had access to them at some stage.

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

don't really understand the OP's message.

If she used your card details and obtained the air ticket then it's fraud but you are going to let it go.

Maybe she did it online and used all your details.

Most folks I imagine are quite cautious with their credit cards as i am,  however she must have had access to them at some stage.

No she has never had access to my credit card details.   Her name was in file with the airline.  We had flown together before using the same credit card details.

1 minute ago, AlfUK said:

No she has never had access to my credit card details.   Her name was in file with the airline.  We had flown together before using the same credit card details.

hmmmm ... right ,  that is strange as she absolutely should not be able to just contact and book and pay for a ticket just because her name was a passenger that a previous ticket was on and use the same card as before.   The airline has some explaining to do.

File?

Are you talking about an online booking? where she logged into your account on the airline website and you had previously ticked 'store my credit card details for future flights'?

Edited by ladada

44 minutes ago, ladada said:

File?

Are you talking about an online booking? where she logged into your account on the airline website and you had previously ticked 'store my credit card details for future flights'?

I think she went to the airline booking office, requested a flight and as her name was on record along with my credit card details they must of assumed that the credit card used in the past should be used again.  I have booked flights in the past with the now ex-girlfriend and the airline used my credit card details, using her phone number, address and ID. 

1 hour ago, Rob13 said:

Think I'd be on the phone with the bank requesting new cards. An ex running around loose with your credit card info.can't end well. 

Important advice.

Whatever happened here, your CC is "burned".

I have never selected to setup a profile on the airline websites that I use.

So I can't tell whether they really store the complete CC details incl. CVV!!! (hard to believe).

I always reenter the details to a secure site of the bank.

The airline site does not get the details, just a confirmation from the bank site.

Would be quite easy to do I imagine without needing to know your C/C details, all that would be needed would be your pin and passwords (the C/C details would already registered).

I also use a well known International flower delivery service.....same applies there..

50 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I might be wrong, but ! I thought the credit card used to purchase the ticket had to be presented at airline counter when checking in ???

They seem to have stopped doing this although the disclaimer still litter the checkout pages of most airlines, i've not been asked in the last 10+ flights on various directly booked airlines, possibly they still do when the card isnt second stage authenticated (is there a better phrase) by Verified by Visa or Mastercard Securecode or SMS OTP for thai banks as I think with these the merchant is indemnified  from charge backs due to fraud/theft so they dont care, I could be wrong. It would seem in this instance the OP card wasn't second stage authenticated though. 

58 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I might be wrong, but ! I thought the credit card used to purchase the ticket had to be presented at airline counter when checking in ???

In principle. But in practice, it is hardly ever checked or, as it happened to me once when I did not have the CC with me, they are happy if you just tell them the last digits.

I often book online with the orange company that shall not be named, and it cannot be done without typing each time the CC number and CVV - they are not stored for online bookings. The ex must have managed the booking by talking to a human who must have been cutting some corner. Ergo, the OP has a good case to argue with the airline and have the ticket cancelled, regardless of reporting the ex to the police.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Sometimes they do; sometimes not.  If you're one of their frequent fliers probably more often not.  If what the OP experienced happened to me, I'd call my CC issuer and report it as fraud.  (Some issuers might require a police report though, and if Thai-issued all bets are off...). You want to get that CC cancelled!

Edited by hawker9000

Many sites, NOT just airlines, offer the service of saving credit card details, for next reservations. Agoda, booking.com..... I use both sites for booking hotels and my credit card details have been saved for these last 5 years. No harm done, never experienced a prob. Why ?? each time i book, I have to confirm with my 2 passwordS and other details that no one knows !!!

Again sites offer this service and you can always refuse by clicking NO, when getting this offer of saving card details

Last time you or.... booked a flight, you MUST have clicked on YES instead without paying attention to what you agreed to by clicking yes.....

Edit**  norwegian.com has my cc details too since 2010. it's the airline i use on all my trips in Europe

Edited by Los Luver

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

no !! I always book online and direct with the airline company. Never showed my credit card when checking in.

Interesting. You don't really know if she went to the airline office and booked in person or made an on-line booking having copied all your credit card details?

If one. It would be very surprising if the air line personnel would do this. Whatever the circumstances it is most unusual to allow someone to use someone else's credit card or charge something to someone else's like this. They would be aware of the potential risk of fraud. 

If two, then the air lines normally ask that the credit card used for the booking must be shown when checking-in, where the name is different to that of the passenger.

So apparently she booked a ticket which was billed to your card, checked-in with a different name to that on the card, and the air line staff never once questioned it?

Something not right.

11 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

no !! I always book online and direct with the airline company. Never showed my credit card when checking in.

That's because the name on your passport is the same as the name on your credit card, which is the same as the passenger name you used to make the booking.

If the credit card is in a different name most, if not all airlines' check-in staff will ask to see the credit card. If it's not produced they will deny boarding or ask that an alternative card you have with you is swiped. Once the original transaction clears you can get the second charge credited but have to go to the airline office to do so.

I had this with Qatar when travelling on a ticker provided by a company in Manila. The CEO used her own card when booking the flight. I wouldn't let them have my card so they took me off the morning flight and put me on the evening one. I had to call Manila and the CEO had to go to the Qatar office there. She then emailed me their approval form which I had to print out. Even then the check-in staff here weren't happy and I had to escalate to senior staff to get clearance.

That's why I'm a tad surprised with this story.

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

where the name is different to that of the passenger.

The problem with that is there are many people with same name, esp when debit, I've met countless "SCB DEBIT PLUS" and "BE1st VALUED CUSTOMER", more popular than John Smith

Sorry,

I regularly book online as do many others here but even records I have stored or saved in my computer or on an airline website are no good unless I put in the three digit pin code as well when I make the booking.Also, when they are on an airline website, it is usually a load of xxxx's and just the last four numbers.I don't think they have access to full card details.

I cannot actually see her walking into an office and booking a flight using previous details at all. There are too many questions she would have to answer to satisfy the staff if she did not have the physical card,  in all likelihood, which she would be unable to do.

You didn't give a second/ additional card to her, did you, and then cancel it? Sometimes they get through on smaller amounts.

11 minutes ago, ladada said:

The problem with that is there are many people with same name, esp when debit, I've met countless "SCB DEBIT PLUS" and "BE1st VALUED CUSTOMER", more popular than John Smith

Did you ask them if they were asked to show their debit card as well as ID at check-in?

But debit cards transact at once. So are these checks about security and / or money laundering compliance or simply the airline making sure they get the money!

Edited by Baerboxer

47 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's because the name on your passport is the same as the name on your credit card, which is the same as the passenger name you used to make the booking.

If the credit card is in a different name most, if not all airlines' check-in staff will ask to see the credit card. If it's not produced they will deny boarding or ask that an alternative card you have with you is swiped. Once the original transaction clears you can get the second charge credited but have to go to the airline office to do so.

I had this with Qatar when travelling on a ticker provided by a company in Manila. The CEO used her own card when booking the flight. I wouldn't let them have my card so they took me off the morning flight and put me on the evening one. I had to call Manila and the CEO had to go to the Qatar office there. She then emailed me their approval form which I had to print out. Even then the check-in staff here weren't happy and I had to escalate to senior staff to get clearance.

That's why I'm a tad surprised with this story.

I just don't get it

Once I used my girlfriend's card to book a ticket to Los with Qatar airways. No body asked me about anything  !!!!

Edit** perhaps you talk about using a card for booking and then using yours to pay.

I always pay when i make a booking, so the same card.

Edited by Los Luver

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

In principle. But in practice, it is hardly ever checked or, as it happened to me once when I did not have the CC with me, they are happy if you just tell them the last digits.

I often book online with the orange company that shall not be named, and it cannot be done without typing each time the CC number and CVV - they are not stored for online bookings. The ex must have managed the booking by talking to a human who must have been cutting some corner. Ergo, the OP has a good case to argue with the airline and have the ticket cancelled, regardless of reporting the ex to the police.

I think we are talking about the same airline the one that took the smile from my face   My feeling is that she booked the flight at the airline counter in Ubon and knew one of the staff.  I have tried contacting someone from the airline.  Seems impossible to get through to a living person.   The price was 1600 baht so not really worth the hassle.  I have a new credit card now so it will not happen again.  All I really wanted to do was to alert members of the Thaivisa forum