American Airlines apologizes for onboard clash over stroller

rooster59

American Airlines apologizes for onboard clash over stroller

By Barbara Goldberg

NEW YORK (Reuters) - American Airlines on Saturday apologized to a female passenger and suspended an employee after a video showing an onboard clash over a baby stroller went viral, in the latest embarassment for a U.S. carrier over how it treated a customer.

The clip, posted to Facebook on Friday by a bystander on the flight, shows a woman in tears with a young child in her arms, and a man emerging from his seat to confront a male flight attendant.

Facebook user Surain Adyanthaya, who put the video on his page, said in his post that the flight attendant had forcefully taken the stroller from the woman, hitting her with it and just missing her child.

"You do that to me and I'll knock you flat," the unidentified man tells the flight attendant.

The crew member then points his finger angrily and challenges the passenger to hit him.

The video shows the man eventually returning to his seat.

American Airlines said in a statement it was investigating the incident, which took place before the plane took off on a flight from San Francisco to Dallas.

"We are deeply sorry for the pain we have caused this passenger and her family and to any other customers affected by the incident," the airline said in a statement released early on Saturday.

The woman elected to take another flight and was upgraded to first class, the airline said.

Less than two weeks ago, United Air Lines found itself in a public relations nightmare when a video appeared online showing a 69-year-old doctor being dragged off one of its flights to make room for a crew member, sparking international outrage and policy changes by the airline.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-23

Airlines can treat us bad because in their silly defence eAch one of us could be a terorist so now we need to suffer in crampy seats bad food and bad service.Airlines will not hesitate to knock teeth out u mouth gosh lots been changed with these airlines

Who was complaining again about the lousy Thai air companies???

Used them alot already but still have all my teeth and they never made me cry.

Edited by Foexie

This "entitled" woman again???  Complete with backpack adorning someone's face.  You pay bottom dollar, bring on your packpack to block movement in the aisle and godknowswhat inconvenience to the person behind, and then expect to be treated like a princess.

Please, lady of zero dignity, stay away from cheap flights, or better still drive...lots of good straight roads in America where people like you can pretend you are Queen of the Road.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Airlines can treat us bad because in their silly defence eAch one of us could be a terorist so now we need to suffer in crampy seats bad food and bad service.Airlines will not hesitate to knock teeth out u mouth gosh lots been changed with these airlines

Cramped seats and bad service started long before the terrorist threat.

Having just flown economy class to and from the USA/Thailand, I can honestly say that passengers in many cases are selfish, rude and choose to disregard safety instructions (I imagine the stroller was a safety hazard on the flight, blocking aisles.). I empathize with the flight attendant in this situation, perhaps he could have acted a bit more calmly, but passengers need to know that they are the extension of the FEDS once you board that airplane and you need to follow instructions. I saw several rude and selfish people, including a woman who strolled the aisles asking people if she could rearrange seating so she and her daughter could sit together, after the flight attendant asked her twice to sit down. Another couple with a screaming child who claimed that they should be upgraded to first class because they thought there were empty seats there. People need to get a reality check...the world does not revolve around you !

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Cramped seats and bad service started long before the terrorist threat.

Well not much improvements from these airline in the last ten years.,example if u dare to bring 21 kg suitcase big problem now u need pay 200 usd!!!screw that

I Don't know the particulars of this case nor do I care to,

but it seems to me that if you have a stroller , you check them in as you enter the plane. they give you a tag, and at the end of the flight as disembark the plane , the stroller is returned to to you. And for good reason.  

So why did this woman expect to be treated differently, and if the flight attendant allowed her to do so , wouldn't he be derelict of his duty? If some one got injured from the stroller, wouldn't that some have a case against the airline and the flight attendant?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

How did she plan to take off that backpack, place her stroller in the overhead, and hold onto the child (not a baby)?  The man passenger threatening the steward; real brave guy when he is a head taller than the steward and better shape; at that point the guy was a terrorist, terrorized the steward anyway and those around them all.

The captain should have resolved the situation instead of just being a spectator until the very last moment where he did a little bit a little too late.

A stroller can be placed in the the hull until just before cabin doors closes for departure.....no matter what,ground crew can never be allowed to behave like that especially not onboard.