Red PlateTicket

Going through a toll booth police were stopping everyone.  Our car was new with a red plate.  They checked the book you are required to carry when you have a red plate and found that we had not written in the book where we were going.  I was not aware that was required, but my wife was.  Dealer made her aware at the time of purchase, but said local police do not inforce.  My first thought was if you want to know where I am going ask me.  Why must it be written in a book?  So many times I have wonder why because it is not what I am use to.  Usually later I understand why and it makes sense.  This one I am not sure if it will ever make sense.

Another law to do with the red plate is you are not allowed to be out past 6 PM.  That one still does not make sense.

Here are a couple of laws that have past recently or will past that do not make sense to me.  When I first heard them I thought no way they could be true, but best I can tell they are real laws.

Passengers are not allowed in the back seats of extended cab pickups.  

Passengers are no longer allowed to ride in the bed of pickups.

Guessing, but I think these laws were an over reaction to one or two bad accidents.  Instead, IMO they should focus their attention on motorbikes, which account for 75% of road deaths, driver education, mini buses that are nothing more that pickups with toppers overloaded with children when school lets out.  Often I see these mini buses with school children packed  in like sardines some hanging off the back.  I don't understand how the law and parents allow that.

Just saying.

Laws are laws comments are fair enough but, it is also extremely hard to get a clear answer as to what laws are in place and often one province or policeman will envoke a law that many others do not. There is a clear lack of consistency, and also why would you even ask the question of whether you need a passbook to move from one province to another with a new vehicle it is not exactly the first thing that crosses your mind for most us. Going to a different country maybe

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just now, Anythingleft? said:

Laws are laws comments are fair enough but, it is also extremely hard to get a clear answer as to what laws are in place and often one province or policeman will envoke a law that many others do not. There is a clear lack of consistency, and also why would you even ask the question of whether you need a passbook to move from one province to another with a new vehicle it is not exactly the first thing that crosses your mind for most us. Going to a different country maybe

How the laws are policed from province to province does not come into it, The law in regards to red plates is clear and has been around for a while.

How the laws are policed from province to province does not come into it, The law in regards to red plates is clear and has been around for a while.

I wasnt made aware of it by my dealership and got stopped and fined in Ratchasima. Wasnt something I was aware of until that point

Just now, Anythingleft? said:

I wasnt made aware of it by my dealership and got stopped and fined in Ratchasima. Wasnt something I was aware of until that point

As I said earlier. Ignorance does not equal immunity.

Stupid law, Why cannot the transport authority keep a supply of ordinary black on white plates and just register them to new vehicles when they are required and you could drive your new vehicle anywhere in Thailand without being hassled

Quite often when dealers have a lot of sales they use fake red plates with no book, its happened to me twice and they only replaced them with genuine red plates after i complained to the sale manager

30 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Stupid law, Why cannot the transport authority keep a supply of ordinary black on white plates and just register them to new vehicles when they are required and you could drive your new vehicle anywhere in Thailand without being hassled

Quite often when dealers have a lot of sales they use fake red plates with no book, its happened to me twice and they only replaced them with genuine red plates after i complained to the sale manager

its not the lack of black plates, its the dealers, they want to delay registering, for their own reasons. be the plates green, blue or black

14 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Because in that case the dealer has to pay up.

Thus whole plate saga is a real weird one.  I cannot for the life of me understand why either the Land Transport office or perhaps the Post Office cannot undertake new registration of vehicles.

Either one can have a supply of plates ready, and when a customer or agent arrives requiring new plates it makes life a lot easier and faster.  Naturally all paperwork has to be in order.

Works very easily in NZ.

4 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Thus whole plate saga is a real weird one.  I cannot for the life of me understand why either the Land Transport office or perhaps the Post Office cannot undertake new registration of vehicles.

Either one can have a supply of plates ready, and when a customer or agent arrives requiring new plates it makes life a lot easier and faster.  Naturally all paperwork has to be in order.

Works very easily in NZ.

To my knowledge there is nothing stopping anyone from registering the vehicle themselves once the paperwork has been done at the dealership thus avoiding red plates altogether.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

To my knowledge there is nothing stopping anyone from registering the vehicle themselves once the paperwork has been done at the dealership thus avoiding red plates altogether.

Ah ... not quite correct I think. There are two options ...

1 ... the dealer registers the car at the LTO

2 ... you register the car at the LTO.

For 1 ... you get red plates the day you collect the car and the dealer will go to the LTO and register the car at a later date. I believe the delay is associated with the dealer paying some sort of tax and getting a piece of paper to take to the LTO. Honda wanted 4500thb to register my wife's car, she said no I will do it myself.

For 2 .. you get red plates the day you collect the car ...  the dealer has to go to the LTO to get an 'allowance' letter to give to the purchaser. The purchaser can then go to the LTO to register the car and obtain a number plate. The dealer still needs the 'tax paid paper' before he can go to the LTO.

If you wish to register the car in a difference Province to the one that the dealer uses ( as is my wife's case) then you also need another bit of paper (I think or the same bit of paper with extra writing on) which the dealer previously got from the LTO to allow you to do this.

My wife now has the required bit of paper. She has now chosen a 'lucky number' and is waiting for it to become available. So we could get fined if Mr BIB asks why are you still on a red plate. There is an Office in the LTO where you can peruse available numbers ... they release numbers in blocks of about one month.

We fill in the Red Plate Book (Brown Book) for every journey ... use a rubber and pencil so only takes a few seconds to do.  

This is the first time than any dealer has wanted paying for doing the registration. There is always a returnable deposit for the Red Plates. 

There is No Way to avoid Red Plates and of course most don't want to either.:smile: 

I was under the impression that red plates are simply "dealer plates" which allow vehicles to be driven if not registered or insured by the dealer. It has evolved into what it is because people wish to drive around with red plates to show their network that they have a new vehicle.

That and of course the dealer hasn't paid the tax on the vehicle. 

4 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Works very easily in NZ.

Works in Australia as well, i have been told its to do with the dealer having to pay the manufacturer for the vehicle as soon as it is sold instead of having the vehicle on credit for a agreed period, i do not know if this is correct

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Works in Australia as well, i have been told its to do with the dealer having to pay the manufacturer for the vehicle as soon as it is sold instead of having the vehicle on credit for a agreed period

Yes I think that you are correct in it being the car maker and not Mr Tax ...

In LOS you have 30 days on a red plate...If the dealer doesn't come up with the white plates or you are waiting for a special number you go to the LTO and explain stuff, they will give you a bit of paper with a stamp on it to show the BiB....I have done it...

6 minutes ago, transam said:

In LOS you have 30 days on a red plate...If the dealer doesn't come up with the white plates or you are waiting for a special number you go to the LTO and explain stuff, they will give you a bit of paper with a stamp on it to show the BiB....I have done it...

Yes Trans ...apparently we have that piece of paper ...I live in a dark world :sad:

Not interested in driving around on red plates, a lot of people do like driving on them i know both Thai and farang, i call it the look at my new truck/car/bike syndrome 

I just want my regular plates as soon as possible so i can drive where and when i want with no hassles from the police, salesman told me a 20 day wait for them for the time they received the official letter confirming my address from immigration   

We went through the same thing last year.  Got a lecture at two different stops.  That was it.  Both times they sent us on our way.  I had no understanding prior to the first stop.  The wife refused to play their game and we just ignored it.

I've never been stopped by the BIB for having red plate before, be it driving after hours or driving in other provinces. Sure, the law has been there for ages, but enforcement really depends on who you encounter. I won't complain if I was stopped and fined since the law is the law and I've broken the law at my own risk. I would put my complain with the system that cause me to drive with the red plate while waiting for my white plate. 

From my understanding, the delay comes from the following possible reasons:

1. Dealer reluctant to pay the money to the manufacturer. I've heard that dealer are given a certain amount of time to sell the car without paying the manufacturer. As soon as the car is sold, they should have used the paper work to register the car.. But, why would you do that if you got a interest free loan in the form of money received from the car sold? So they would take that money and use it for awhile before they finally register the car and pay the manufacturer. 

2. Dealer wanting to register the cars sold for a particular time frame together.. Thais and their systems means that most things has to be done in-person. It cost time and money to send someone to go to the DLT to register a new car, so the most economical way of doing things would be to gather them up and register them at the same time. Which explains why a dealer may have running plates (if the owner dint pick a number). Thailand 4.0 my foot.... 

3. Picking of plate number. Some people just love to pick their number. Seems like the DLT makes plates in running order.. So if you want that fanciful number, keep on waiting !

3 minutes ago, patyh said:

I've never been stopped by the BIB for having red plate before, be it driving after hours or driving in other provinces. Sure, the law has been there for ages, but enforcement really depends on who you encounter. I won't complain if I was stopped and fined since the law is the law and I've broken the law at my own risk. I would put my complain with the system that cause me to drive with the red plate while waiting for my white plate. 

From my understanding, the delay comes from the following possible reasons:

1. Dealer reluctant to pay the money to the manufacturer. I've heard that dealer are given a certain amount of time to sell the car without paying the manufacturer. As soon as the car is sold, they should have used the paper work to register the car.. But, why would you do that if you got a interest free loan in the form of money received from the car sold? So they would take that money and use it for awhile before they finally register the car and pay the manufacturer. 

2. Dealer wanting to register the cars sold for a particular time frame together.. Thais and their systems means that most things has to be done in-person. It cost time and money to send someone to go to the DLT to register a new car, so the most economical way of doing things would be to gather them up and register them at the same time. Which explains why a dealer may have running plates (if the owner dint pick a number). Thailand 4.0 my foot.... 

3. Picking of plate number. Some people just love to pick their number. Seems like the DLT makes plates in running order.. So if you want that fanciful number, keep on waiting !

No.3

Yep you can order the number at LTO, you have to wait if the number you want has been allocated that month, if you are lucky it maybe available the next month on their system. They will give you a "pass" for the BiB.  Cost me 500bht for my number.."1"..

As with so many things in Thailand it doesnt really matter what the "law" does or doesnt say, its what is enforced, where and by whom. The answer will probably be different dependent on who, where and when you speak to them. TIT no consistency.

Had red plates on my new car and got pulled a few times by the police

The first time i got pulled i got a 200 bht fine for not filling in the brown book, but nobody told me to, the dealer just said keep it in the car

After that i liked being pulled, just to see the disappointment on their faces when i showed them the completed book

But never knew about the no driving at night, but lucky the police don't seem to like working in the dark

Had to wait for nearly 5 weeks for my new plates, which was ok till i found out i could not drive over the bridge to Laos with the red plates on the car

But what i could not understand was when we had to take the car to the DLT to have it weighed before they would release any new plates for it Surely the dealer could have just told them the weight

Archived