Poll: Thais agree with pick-up seating ban - but few will obey entirely

webfact

Poll: Thais agree with pick-up seating ban - but few will obey entirely

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- A public opinion poll has shown that Thais are generally in agreement with plans to prohibit sitting in the back of pick-ups.

But only 17% would obey the newly enforced regulations to the letter, reported Thai News Agency.

A Nida Poll found that some 83% of respondents broadly agreed with the new rules saying that would help to save lives.

But more than half of those felt there should be a consultative process and some adjustment to the regulations rather than an all out ban.

This might include limiting enforcement to certain roads and with a certain number allowed to be in the back or in the cab of pick-ups.

The poll showed that usage and ownership of pick-ups affected almost three quarters of the Thai population with two-door vehicles in the vast majority.

But many expressed confusion about the law, with 63% stating that they did not know that it had been illegal before to sit behind the driver in the cab of a two door pick-up.

The authorities have said it was always law and this is a storage space and any other use such as carrying passengers is and has always been illegal.

Only 17% of respondents said they would completely obey the new laws.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-24

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Only 17% of respondents said they would completely obey the new laws.

I don't see the death toll coming down significantly, any time soon then. They're just crazy. 83% agree it is a good idea that will save lives, but they just don't care enough about their own lives to actually comply?

So much depends on where and when the poll was taken, who were the people polled and what questions were asked. You need to know what result you want before you ask any questions and who you are targeting.

If it was taken in the cities on middle and upper class Thais, then the result was predictable.

If the poll was taken on poor Thais in rural Thailand the result would be the opposite.

I think it is sometimes forgotten that we are living in a developing 3rd world country... 1 pickup truck in a family is a luxury.. many can not afford more than a motorbike..  they know filling the back of the pickup is dangerous as they know 4 on a motorbike is dangerous.. but when that is all they have what else can they do?..  Things must and will change but this is a very difficult transition for many poor families to deal with..  they are not stupid... just poor...

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So much depends on where and when the poll was taken, who were the people polled and what questions were asked. You need to know what result you want before you ask any questions and who you are targeting.

If it was taken in the cities on middle and upper class Thais, then the result was predictable.

If the poll was taken on poor Thais in rural Thailand the result would be the opposite.

5 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I think it is sometimes forgotten that we are living in a developing 3rd world country... 1 pickup truck in a family is a luxury.. many can not afford more than a motorbike..  they know filling the back of the pickup is dangerous as they know 4 on a motorbike is dangerous.. but when that is all they have what else can they do?..  Things must and will change but this is a very difficult transition for many poor families to deal with..  they are not stupid... just poor...

Yes absolutely.  Given that it is a Nida Poll. conducted by telephone sampling taken from their own database, I doubt that it reached many of those who are most affected by this sudden decision to enforce this legislation.

Hurtling along a busy elevated expressway or down a motorway at 120kph with 4 in the back of the truck is obviously dangerous. Almost invariably in such areas and for such journeys there is an alternative - public transport - less fun, less convenient but it exists.

Trundling down a rural road at 60kph much less so. As Laza says very many, especially in rural areas have little option. There is often no public transport.

Sensible regulations, taking this into account, along with fair enforcement, (which does not include cash harvesting operations conducted  clad in dark glasses and a surgical mask) would solve the problem. However...

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And so, the poor should be excused from the Law and should behave like those in Africa?

12 minutes ago, trogers said:

And so, the poor should be excused from the Law and should behave like those in Africa?

Perhaps the way in which the law should be drafted, and subsequently enforced, should take into account the reality of the situation.

15 minutes ago, trogers said:

No but if you want an equal society there has to be some give and take.

At this time in Thailand the rich always take and the poor have to give, like it or not.

If this law is to be applied fairly then the government who wish the law to be applied should provide public transport as an alternative BEFORE enforcing an unenforceable law.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

No but if you want an equal society there has to be some give and take.

At this time in Thailand the rich always take and the poor have to give, like it or not.

If this law is to be applied fairly then the government who wish the law to be applied should provide public transport as an alternative BEFORE enforcing an unenforceable law.

Even rich countries have their poor...and it would seems traffic laws in these countries are not being applied fairly then...

Thai road policy is that one has to learn to 'drive' while on the road, what that means is that we are all glad to be save and sound when we arrive home .

Secondly police is there to make report and collect fines, enforcing road rules is 'not done'

Thirdly most Thais see the road as a private playground, with no room for others.

And last but not least.......the ones who just scolded a person who dared pointing court the rules of the road, are equally the opinion that accidents, even with death, are 'bad luck; sign....not road signs!!

After all....road rules are to collect.....................Money!

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

Yes, they are stupid. 

What else can they do? Take the bus, take the train, not drive like a maniac, stop speeding, stop at red lights, stop overtaking in dangerous areas, stay sober, stay off the phone while driving, and make other tough choices that will save the lives of your family.

Tossing your family into the back of a truck is a choice.

What did they all do before they bought a truck?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't see the death toll coming down significantly, any time soon then. They're just crazy. 83% agree it is a good idea that will save lives, but they just don't care enough about their own lives to actually comply?

hi darksidedog

with no viable alternatives what choice have the poor people got but to maximise their transportation resources.

People carriers!

Are pick ups that much of a necessity?

I'm sitting at Jimmy's sports bar in Buri Ram, and can see countless pick ups passing by with nothing loaded into the flat beds.

More, for show than for the purpose pick ups are designed for.

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

..........but when that is all they have what else can they do?..  ...........

Buy a bicycle or walk as they did before...

Yesterday I was in Khon Kaen and with a friend of mine went to Central Plaza for a lunch.

At the 4th floor there are many japanese restaurants, pizza and so on...the minimum for a meal is about 3/400 baht for one people;

All the restaurants were full ;many with a queue ..

99,9% thai people...

I don't think they are poor people

And about people in the bed of pickup..

They agree if it's for other people but not for them..

The same as they do on the roads;

they are alone;

other people don't count ...

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Even rich countries have their poor...and it would seems traffic laws in these countries are not being applied fairly then...

No, they are not.

A ticket for speeding of 200 euro for a rich person is peanuts, for a poor person is more than half his weekly wages.

I know, I know, everybody is the same for the law, although I doubt that very much.

2 minutes ago, hansnl said:

No, they are not.

A ticket for speeding of 200 euro for a rich person is peanuts, for a poor person is more than half his weekly wages.

I know, I know, everybody is the same for the law, although I doubt that very much.

But there is an equitable solution - Don't speed...

Just now, hansnl said:

No, they are not.

Go to Switzerland and u will change your appreciations about speeding tickets..

About 20 years ago a rich man from Sweden had to pay 1 million swiss francs for speeding on Swiss motorways.

You pay according to your income .

And in many civilised countries if you go too fast, even the ticket is peanuts for rich people, you cannot continue with your car; it's seized by the police.

25 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Buy a bicycle or walk as they did before...

Yesterday I was in Khon Kaen and with a friend of mine went to Central Plaza for a lunch.

At the 4th floor there are many japanese restaurants, pizza and so on...the minimum for a meal is about 3/400 baht for one people;

All the restaurants were full ;many with a queue ..

99,9% thai people...

I don't think they are poor people

And about people in the bed of pickup..

They agree if it's for other people but not for them..

The same as they do on the roads;

they are alone;

other people don't count ...

....you saw people eating expensive food.. therefor there are no poor people..'... now there is logic for you   duh!

53 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Yes, they are stupid. 

What else can they do? Take the bus, take the train, not drive like a maniac, stop speeding, stop at red lights, stop overtaking in dangerous areas, stay sober, stay off the phone while driving, and make other tough choices that will save the lives of your family.

Tossing your family into the back of a truck is a choice.

What did they all do before they bought a truck?

bullock-cart-pattaya-thailand-AMTW7K.jpg.d3258a214e41c9318741168548707522.jpg

2 hours ago, trogers said:

First of all, get off your high horse.

Secondly, what's wrong with Africa or the behavior of Africans? Their culture may be different to that of Thailand, the rest of Asia and the west, but that doesn't make them inferior. Each culture is unique. Respect them.

Thirdly, I see where you are going with your comment. You're another one of these "it's better in the west, why isn't the whole world like us?" types. Your arrogance and the implied imperialistic message sickens me.

Moreover, I don't think that Thailand can "learn" anything from the west in this regard. Westerners love their nanny state governments too much. There are so many dumbed down idiots who think that the government always knows the best solution to every problem.

You know what? They don't. Your average Thai is smart enough to know the risks of transporting passengers in the back of a pickup. If he/she drives normally and doesn't cause an accident or is not the victim of an accident, then nobody in the tray of a pickup will get injured or killed, period. Similarly, passengers can and do get injured and killed in accidents when sitting inside vehicles too. Having passengers in the rear of a pickup doesn't cause accidents. Accidents are caused by dangerous driving, fatigue, speeding, drink driving and driving against the flow of traffic. If these issues are addressed, then the accident rate will drop without needing to change the whole lifestyle of the Thai people.

If this law is implemented (though every few days the government changes it's mind) it will be a disaster for the Thai people and the economy. Pickup sales, particularly of 2 door extended cabs will plummet, the whole pickup manufacturing industry will likely suffer as a result. How will construction and agricultural workers get to work? Who will pay for the buses, vans and other types of vehicles necessary to transport these people to work and back home? Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass this will be for ordinary people?

Get it right. Laws are never made in the interests of ordinary citizens. They're made in order to increase government control. An extremely worrying worldwide trend that if remained unchallenged, will result in tyranny and slavery in decades to come. If Thailand becomes more like the west, it will cease being the country we know and love. I just hope I'm not alive then to see that happen.

57 minutes ago, pentap said:

People carriers!

Are pick ups that much of a necessity?

I'm sitting at Jimmy's sports bar in Buri Ram, and can see countless pick ups passing by with nothing loaded into the flat beds.

More, for show than for the purpose pick ups are designed for.

2 door pickups are about the cheapest transport to buy and when you have to, can cart tons of stuff or you can cram a lot of folks in them.....

But, depending where you live, the connecting road is a big motorway like Rama II with many places where there are no parallel routes.

It's the motorway or nothing.

Public transport is a joke. The local songtaus stop running in the early evening......

Having said that, they very often drive far to fast, but on a motorway you have to because of other traffic.

Lose, lose?

11 minutes ago, jimster said:

First of all, get off your high horse.

Secondly, what's wrong with Africa or the behavior of Africans? Their culture may be different to that of Thailand, the rest of Asia and the west, but that doesn't make them inferior. Each culture is unique. Respect them.

Thirdly, I see where you are going with your comment. You're another one of these "it's better in the west, why isn't the whole world like us?" types. Your arrogance and the implied imperialistic message sickens me.

Moreover, I don't think that Thailand can "learn" anything from the west in this regard. Westerners love their nanny state governments too much. There are so many dumbed down idiots who think that the government always knows the best solution to every problem.

You know what? They don't. Your average Thai is smart enough to know the risks of transporting passengers in the back of a pickup. If he/she drives normally and doesn't cause an accident or is not the victim of an accident, then nobody in the tray of a pickup will get injured or killed, period. Similarly, passengers can and do get injured and killed in accidents when sitting inside vehicles too. Having passengers in the rear of a pickup doesn't cause accidents. Accidents are caused by dangerous driving, fatigue, speeding, drink driving and driving against the flow of traffic. If these issues are addressed, then the accident rate will drop without needing to change the whole lifestyle of the Thai people.

If this law is implemented (though every few days the government changes it's mind) it will be a disaster for the Thai people and the economy. Pickup sales, particularly of 2 door extended cabs will plummet, the whole pickup manufacturing industry will likely suffer as a result. How will construction and agricultural workers get to work? Who will pay for the buses, vans and other types of vehicles necessary to transport these people to work and back home? Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass this will be for ordinary people?

Get it right. Laws are never made in the interests of ordinary citizens. They're made in order to increase government control. An extremely worrying worldwide trend that if remained unchallenged, will result in tyranny and slavery in decades to come. If Thailand becomes more like the west, it will cease being the country we know and love. I just hope I'm not alive then to see that happen.

What's wrong with Africans? They hold the number one spot for traffic fatalities. Thailand is following a close second...

Perhaps Thais need just to work a little harder with nudging from foreigners such as you to claim the number one spot?

33 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

On my way back home just now I was passed by a pick up carrying 8 soldiers in the back. 

I see you have a problem of not recognizing soldiers as the good people and exempted from prosecution. They can be unusually wealthy, beat up conscripts, extra judiciary killings, alleged corruptions but nevertheless still Khun dee and the country need them for next 20 years.