Why does it seem impossible to get a decent mixed drink in Thailand?

Ahab

We normally drink beer but occasionally feel like a mixed drink. We have ordered mai tai's, martini's, and even something as simple and a gin and tonic but all seem above the bar tending skills of anyplace we have visited here. When we ordered the gin and tonic the bar person broke out a menu book for the drink. It consists of four ingredients (one of them is ice), gin, tonic, and a wedge of lime. The drink we eventually received was nothing like a simple "gin and tonic". We have since given up and just buy the ingredients at Tops or Big C and make our own when we are in the mood.

Edited by Ahab
Spelling

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

The drink we eventually received was nothing like a simple "gin and tonic".

Should of asked for no ice, gin alone in the glass with slice and a separate cold tonic for you to pore to your taste.

It can be done. :thumbsup:

Usual common mistakes are.

Glass is too small or the wrong type for the drink 

Not enough ice

Mixers not kept chilled

Mixers re-capped and flat

Cheap non branded spirits / wrong measure / incorrect ratio to mixer

No lemon/lime slice

Most Thai bar staff seldom drink ( anything but beer, whiskey or lao khao )

So have no idea about how a mixed drink is meant to taste or be presented. Even some of the decent hotel bars struggle to present a decent drink.

Best to make your own at home... 

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Should of asked for no ice, gin alone in the glass with slice and a separate cold tonic for you to pore to your taste.

It can be done. :thumbsup:

Yes asking for a " drink kit " and assembling your own is often the only way.

I've been watched with open curiosity by the bar staff who have then attempted to copy my recipe on my second order.. priceless

mixed drinks in Thailand are simply hit and miss, many only use a half measure in a tall glass with the mixers so you do not taste it at all then others use a full measure in a short glass so it tastes too strong or as mentioned above use hot mixers or flat ones. The only times I have had something that resembles what I want to drink is when I have supervised the bar staff and told them what and how to mix it.

3 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Thais like to order a whole bottle of whisky to share then mix themselves.

LOL yes. In a bar i go in a Thai lady has her own bottle of JW Gold Label and mixes this with ice, water, soda and Pepsi. Still manages to get through it though.

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Same reason why it's impossible to get a steak cooked the way you like it (unless you like it well done).

Never had a problem at Arno's.  Then again, some people don't want to pay for a steak, either.

23 hours ago, Ahab said:

I wa not aware you could order mixed drinks at 7-11, are they inexpensive?

You should be able to get a simple mixed drink in any bar. Gin Tonic (thats how they recognise the words, no 'and') whisky coke, vodka tonic etc. We had two bars in Patts and all our girls were able to pour the normal mixed drinks. Even a Jeager Bomb, or tequila was within their capabilities. But when i trie to introduce, Harvey Wallbanger's and Tequila sunrises into the bar, they freaked, never had a clue.So in the end i took the Grenadine and the other stuff (forgot the name) back home.

If you ever travel to the Islands, then Koh Chang's Kaibee Beach has a number of cocktail bars and you can get an 'Orgasm, or a Screwdriver, quite easily. However, its a bloody long way to go just for a drink,innit?

Most of the shots here a 25ml as a US shot is 30ml so that is like over 17% less ,  you are getting screwed on the shots and then you getting screwed on the exchange rate. Also you will get screwed at the Airport , that will be 800 baht to go to Sukhumvit  soi 20 sir , welcome to Thailand after your 23 hour flight. I need a drink after writing this post. 

6 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Most of the shots here a 25ml as a US shot is 30ml so that is like over 17% less ,  you are getting screwed on the shots and then you getting screwed on the exchange rate. Also you will get screwed at the Airport , that will be 800 baht to go to Sukhumvit  soi 20 sir , welcome to Thailand after your 23 hour flight. I need a drink after writing this post. 

Why bother being here of coarse everything in America is bigger faster  go back u will like the 160 kg breed

6 minutes ago, mikecha said:

Why bother being here of coarse everything in America is bigger faster  go back u will like the 160 kg breed

What you correctly determine is Thailand is all about getting screwed - sadly it is a pastime that ends with most of the screwing being the latest you desire.

Coming from experience of 20 years bartending and 12 years of owning a bar here the main issues are not using proper amount of spirits, reusing flat mixers, shaking carbonation out of drinks not meant to be shaked and buying the absolute cheapest bottle sold.  Most cocktails need 45ml minimum to achieve the proper taste.  I find Thais and Burmese can be taught to make a decent drink once you allow them to pour the proper amount of booze but it is very hard to get them to throw out warm flat mixers.  I am constantly coming in the bar and tossing half full bottles of soda and cans of coke that have been open for hours. 

The staff feels like they are helping the owner by using less spirits and using old mixers but they dont realized they have just sold that customer their last cocktail in your establishment. 

The question speaks for it self. If you not want a bad drink and can ask why other people can´t make it, must just mean that you are a professional bartender!
Let me just ask you when DIAGIO lost thier grip on you?

If you can´t do it, just keep quiet and turn to beer. See, problem solved!

I  would suggest to choose next time another bar ...

http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/diageo-world-class-thailand-winners-announced

http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/thai-bartenders-just-proved-best-southeast-asia-regional-bartender-competition

https://www.pressreader.com/thailand/the-nation/20170320/281492161134096

However, I have to admit, in an Isaan village, Nana Plaza or Walking Street, it might be difficult to find a good bartendy ;-)

sheet, Im glad I dont drink alcohol................mind you go into any Mcdonalds and ask for a "Caramel Cream Frappe" and they will serve you a "Caramel Frappe"  which is coffee and totally different ( I dont like coffee), even when the wife orders it in Thai they still ferk it  up, 8-10 times its  wrong and all from the same branch or even ordered by phone, tried another branch in another town, same problem, and then they simply tip the wrong one down the drain.

Incredible!

Dare you to try it and see what you get

The last time I did this  I  went behind the counter to the menu board, put my finger on the item to show them EXACTLY WHICH ONE, the guy then calls another woman over and shows her, what do i get ferking Caramel Frappe bluddy  coffee, took it back and let them go thru it all again.

I know its wrong as one is 120 baht the other 125  baht, this is the first way to tell them theyve got it  wrong, even then when they get the right price 120  baht, they mix  the wrong drink

Edited by kannot