US travel ban a threat to tourism, David Cameron warns

webfact

US travel ban a threat to tourism, Cameron warns
By Nophakhun Limsamarnphun
The Nation

190b56a4e159575c917ffb49eebe071b.jpeg

Former United Kingdom prime minister David Cameron gives a keynote speech during the World Travel and Tourism Council Summit at a Bangkok hotel yesterday.

Former UK premier slams Trump’s policies as prayut calls for balanced approach to help combat terrorism

BANGKOK: -- FORMER UK prime minister David Cameron has urged the global tourism industry to work closely with governments and embrace new technology to boost traveller safety and cross-border security amid increased challenges.

In a keynote speech at yesterday’s World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC)’s summit in Bangkok, Cameron, who resigned from the premiership following the Brexit vote in June, said US President Donald Trump’s travel ban against six predominantly Muslim nations was the biggest problem facing the tourism industry, even though the ban had been stopped by US judges.

Thailand’s Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha also spoke during the opening ceremony, saying that the government needs to adopt a balanced approach in dealing with terrorism and other threats as the country last year attracted more than 30 million tourists, resulting in revenues of more than Bt2.52 trillion.

Regarding new technology, Cameron said governments should use more biometric data and other advanced systems to strengthen border controls and screen international tourists.

The former UK premier also highlighted the positive impacts of tourism on national economies as the industry accounts for about 10 per cent of global jobs and GDP.

For underdeveloped and developing counties, tourism’s trickle-down effects can change societies for the better in terms of stronger and more rapid economic growth and job creation.

Regarding Brexit, which his government had campaigned against, Cameron said the vote for Britain to leave the European Union could be seen as representing a reversal of globalisation as some people felt they were being left behind.

However, Cameron said he did not believe that globalisation was a failure but agreed it needed to change course. British voters wanted to leave the EU because they felt the pace of immigration went too fast and too far.

In this context, better technology was needed for border controls and the screening of international tourists, but the answer was not building a wall, as sought by US President Trump, Cameron said.

Biometric data and other technologies should be used in visa and immigration processes as freedom to travel as well as free trade were among the best measures to ensure peace, he said.

Overall, the global tourism industry needs openness while one of its biggest challenges is terrorism and extremism.

Cameron urged global leaders to boost their alliances with moderate Muslims to defeat extremists.

As a former premier, he said national security came first when there were threats and he also urged the tourism industry to work more closely with governments to tackle these issues, especially with regards to the use of new technology.

Prayut said environmental sustainability was another key issue facing the tourism industry in Thailand as the country relied significantly on tourism for jobs and economic growth.

He also said that his government had adopted the “Thailand-Plus-One” policy to promote its trade and investment as well as the tourism industry.

This means that Thailand is being positioned as a gateway to connect to other Asean countries, especially Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, to create a single Asean tourist destination.

This year is being dubbed the “Visit Asean 50 Year” to mark the regional grouping’s 50th anniversary when more than 120 million international tourists are expected to visit Asean countries.

Prayut said tourism could help reduce poverty and conflicts among nations while upgrading quality of life.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313467

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-27

3 hours ago, Crowes said:

Someone remind me why David Cameron is relevant still

As you can see here from his statement here,he can spout on about another country's action when he has no clue of what he is talking about but is quite about The UK's action as it moves forward in their next step in their world position because in The UK's involvement he again has no clue.

Yes, indeed, Mr Cameron is right.

The travel restrictions for certain muslim countries might be bad for terror "tourism'.

How those measures can be bad for tourism in general is a complete mystery to me.

Just now, hansnl said:

The travel restrictions for certain muslim countries might be bad for terror "tourism'.

How those measures can be bad for tourism in general is a complete mystery to me.

Because those measures stop the genuine tourist or traveler as well. And they are in the majority. So you stop 10,000 tourists, each of whom would have spent money, trying to stop one potential terrorist, who if determined enough, is probably going to get in anyway.

Trump has already had a chilling effect on foreign students. In Obama's last year there were 1 million+ nonimmigrant foreign university students in the U.S., with the Chinese being the largest group. Now Trump has everybody scared Americans are going to come gunning for them and the latest batch of undergraduate applications from China and India have dropped about 25%.

Because those measures stop the genuine tourist or traveler as well. And they are in the majority. So you stop 10,000 tourists, each of whom would have spent money, trying to stop one potential terrorist, who if determined enough, is probably going to get in anyway.

What percentage of tourists arrive from the countries on the list? What is the percentage value of their tourism spending?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

What percentage of tourists arrive from the countries on the list? What is the percentage value of their tourism spending?

Sorry. I am not here to do your research for you. I believe the idea of the forum is that when you make such a comment you provide a link to provide such data.

You are also though missing the point that people from countries not on the list, may well be influenced to ALSO not travel and spend money in the US.

3 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Trump has already had a chilling effect on foreign students. In Obama's last year there were 1 million+ nonimmigrant foreign university students in the U.S., with the Chinese being the largest group. Now Trump has everybody scared Americans are going to come gunning for them and the latest batch of undergraduate applications from China and India have dropped about 25%.

filtering out the corrupt and not wanted from coming to the US will not make a dent into it's tourist visitors and eligible foreign students,The percent of GNP of the US the tourist industry contributes is only 2.6% unlike other countries that depend on tourist as a large part of their income.

55 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

As long as one terrorist is stopped I cannot see the problem.

I guess the aftermath of an act of terror resulting in loss of life, wounded people and damage to property will cost more as tourism will bring in.

Putting profit before safety is rather inhuman.

I have seen too much of that.

The Trump advocated ban will cost the US billions of  dollars because people Worldwide are avoiding travelling to the US. That includes conventions and meetings which would have been held that are not; students that would be educated in the US and will go elsewhere and individual foreign families who will avoid the US- all because Donald Trump and his foolish minions want to place a travel ban on 6 countries in which no known terrorists have ever entered.  Saudi Arabia is not on the list and that country has contributed many terrorists to the US -most notably those who perpetrated the 9-11 attacks.  

Trump has made a complete mockery of the United States and as President should be removed for incompetence.

Well, he's just taking money to talk, something all ex-leaders seem to enjoy, even if no one wants to hear them. His close mate and confidant, on the other hand, seems determined to corner the market in job diversity - even those where he is eminently unqualified.

8 hours ago, hansnl said:

:clap2:Where have you been?  Lost at sea?  You have to look at other websites to get answers~that means effort~yes.

4 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The Trump advocated ban will cost the US billions of  dollars because people Worldwide are avoiding travelling to the US. That includes conventions and meetings which would have been held that are not; students that would be educated in the US and will go elsewhere and individual foreign families who will avoid the US- all because Donald Trump and his foolish minions want to place a travel ban on 6 countries in which no known terrorists have ever entered.  Saudi Arabia is not on the list and that country has contributed many terrorists to the US -most notably those who perpetrated the 9-11 attacks.  

Trump has made a complete mockery of the United States and as President should be removed for incompetence.

Yep

8 hours ago, Sealbash said:

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

As long as one terrorist is stopped I cannot see the problem.

I guess the aftermath of an act of terror resulting in loss of life, wounded people and damage to property will cost more as tourism will bring in.

Putting profit before safety is rather inhuman.

I have seen too much of that.

Get the facts first brother, and just think a bit.  Get some facts, and it will be apparent that you are not well informed

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Your rant shows your lack of knowledge of any of the situations so one must suppose that you are one of those Americans that votes blindly for your party and is angry that your leader didn't win (have you thought of going to Canada like the movie stars stated but backed out) or from the EU and again have no clue of whats happening outside of the rumor mill.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

FORMER UK prime minister David Cameron has urged the global tourism industry to work closely with governments and embrace new technology to boost traveller safety and cross-border security amid increased challenges.

Advise from the moron who thought he'd win a brexit vote.

Thanks, but no thanks.

How are the pig heads by the way Davey boy?

10 hours ago, hansnl said:

Judging by your second sentence, I'd say that's not all that's a mystery to you.

14 hours ago, Crowes said:

Someone remind me why David Cameron is relevant still

Relevant does not come into it, but the payment he got for the speech would keep you happy for two years living the high life

Part 2

Bt2.52 trillion from tourists but keeps on treating them as sH>> and sends them home in bodybags

On 4/27/2017 at 2:45 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Well, he's just taking money to talk, something all ex-leaders seem to enjoy, even if no one wants to hear them. His close mate and confidant, on the other hand, seems determined to corner the market in job diversity - even those where he is eminently unqualified.

Obviously SOMEBODY wants to hear him talk, else they would not be paying him to do so.