Question About Songthaews

JayBird

22 minutes ago, JimCrane said:

is that possible to do from jomtien beach to walking street, or all they all private hires? 

You can talk to any bus, preferably an empty one, to ask for a charter. But the ride from Jomtien beach road to very close to Walking Street is 10 baht so don't know why you'd want to. 

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Sometimes empty ones pass you by because they are going to a depot place where they queue and then load up with passengers when it is their turn.

It's mostly that they're looking for charters ... 

Sorry my eyes have glazed over.

1) which number would I take to go to the Sunday market in Naklua from 2nd Road?

2) Are they currently only picking up passengers from official bus stops?

Thanks

On April 29, 2017 at 2:15 PM, JimCrane said:

is that possible to do from jomtien beach to walking street, or all they all private hires? 

That is a regular route and there are usually tons of them. When you see the first McDonalds on 2nd road you can get off and head west down Soi 16 to Walking.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Sorry my eyes have glazed over.

1) which number would I take to go to the Sunday market in Naklua from 2nd Road?

2) Are they currently only picking up passengers from official bus stops?

Thanks

1. No number, but if you board one at the northbound queue at Pattaya Tai - Second Road, then they will go all the way to Naklua Market on Sunday.

2. No

Anectodal, I know, but today I caught a baht bus by Jomtien Complex and once he passed Pattaya Tai, he only stopped at the marked red bus stops.  Some people were confused (upset?) that after they rang the buzzer he continued a distance down the street before stopping.  But, each time he stopped, it was one of the red bus stops.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:14 AM, TaaSaparot said:

1. No number, but if you board one at the northbound queue at Pattaya Tai - Second Road, then they will go all the way to Naklua Market on Sunday.

2. No

Thanks!

On 4/29/2017 at 2:51 AM, hawker9000 said:

A baht bus can become a private hire the moment somebody talks to the driver and negotiates a fare for a specific destination.  Anyone already on the baht bus gets to get off at that point AND pay their 10B.  'Doesn't really happen all that often, but it can & does. (I know I know ,,, but we're talking about the cheapest transportation on the planet; it's bound to have its quirks.)

The baht busses you see parked bumper-to-bumper with passengers waiting in them will depart when the driver sees that it's full.  Don't be surprised if you hop on an empty one you see waiting like this and the driver comes back to negotiate a taxi fare:  just hop back off and walk a little ways up the route until you can flag one down the regular way.

Yes. I was alone in a baht bus when a Chinese tour leader negotiated a trip to the hotel for his tour. 

I was thoroughly abused by the Chinese started with the middle aged woman who was the first to board. She shoved me and the other trash to one end of the seat. After I got off they taunted me. Lovely people.

It's now official! (after a lot of ups and downs)

I've seen this sign on a number of busses now. People who understand Thai understand what they've tried to do with this translation... others are probably a bit confused...

Anyone who read Chinese and can decipher  what it says at the bottom? More gibberish?

dd2res.jpg

It may be "official" but still mostly ignored by drivers.

I can understand some drivers may feel more strongly about complying because they might have been among the drivers hit with punishment during the previous enforcement period. 

Edited by Jingthing

Agreed, I think the police must have been fairly active giving out tickets at the entrance to Walking Street. Seems that Beach Road is not backed up all the way to Central nowadays (...nights)

Fixing some bottlenecks is good, but trying to redesign the whole transportation system for the city is another thing. Market forces have created the city and it's unique transportation system. Stop the tampering, I say.