Prawit crosses swords with Yingluck over state spending

webfact

Prawit crosses swords with Yingluck over state spending
By The Nation

7c811de49031fc8684fcea11b26031ad.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan on Friday got involved in an online argument with former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra over state spending, comparing the rice mortgage scheme to the submarine purchase.

Both rebuked each other, claiming the other have caused more damage to the state.

Yingluck questioned on Facebook whether the damage done to the state budget by the Prayut government’s submarine purchase was any different from her rice mortgage scheme, that she is facing charges under by the Prayut government.

Prawit responded saying that the money lost in Yingluck’s rice mortgage scheme could have purchased as many as 50 submarines. 

He said instead of posting on Facebook, Yingluck should cooperate with officials and answer all the questions surrounding the scheme. 

The Navy would hold a press conference on Monday to clarify all issues concerning the submarine purchase, Prawit said.

The Navy has proposed buying three submarines, and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said it’s was the two purchases with one given as a free bonus.

The Cabinet has approved the purchase of one submarine, priced Bt13.5 billion. The total budget is set as Bt36 billion. 

Questions have been raised over the need for the country to have submarines while the economy is sluggish.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313666

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-28

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prawit responded saying that the money lost in Yingluck’s rice mortgage scheme could have purchased as many as 50 submarines. 

50 X 13.5 Billion is 675 Billion. Mr. Prawit is telling lies. The loss was extensive, but only around a quarter of that and largely due to a serious fall in rice prices globally.

http://www.benarnews.org/english/news/thai/rice-price-12152016141035.html

Regardless, seeing the pair of them squabbling over who did what is quite pathetic.

A significant difference, is that, despite its deficiencies, the money spent for the rice scheme did not go into Chinese pockets (except maybe for some Chinese Thais :wink:). So there was a multiplier effect on the economy.

Apples and pears have been compared. Rice scheme stay local and money circulated internally. Buy submarines tax payer money flow out to China and generate zilch economic activities for Thailand. If this is a football match, score 1 for the rice scheme and 0 for the submarines. Don't expect Prawit to understand economic.

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Can't say I have much time for either of them, although one is certainly better looking than the other!

Is this a game, do we have to guess which one you think is the most attractive?

Go on tell us, we think any less of you either way!

19 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Is this a game, do we have to guess which one you think is the most attractive?

Go on tell us, we think any less of you either way!

Even if she does scrape by on only about 2 million baht a month, she still manages to look classy even when she's talking to her 'shrooms.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Apples and pears have been compared. Rice scheme stay local and money circulated internally. Buy submarines tax payer money flow out to China and generate zilch economic activities for Thailand. If this is a football match, score 1 for the rice scheme and 0 for the submarines. Don't expect Prawit to understand economic.

ah, but did it stay in Thailand and in whose pocket, certainly not the farmers, circulated internally with the ptp and their mates would be more like it. Even though the sub deal is pretty strange at least they will have 4 subs for the money spent, with the rice deal they got absolutely nothing but rotten rice and a huge amount of missing money. All this does is shows how silly she is to try to compare the two but then again we already know her total lack of intelligence.

1 hour ago, seajae said:

ah, but did it stay in Thailand and in whose pocket, certainly not the farmers, circulated internally with the ptp and their mates would be more like it. Even though the sub deal is pretty strange at least they will have 4 subs for the money spent, with the rice deal they got absolutely nothing but rotten rice and a huge amount of missing money. All this does is shows how silly she is to try to compare the two but then again we already know her total lack of intelligence.

Ah, the tax revenue and GDP were highest during her tenure. The reserves were high and we have trade surpluses. Yes the money was circulating internal and the multiplier effect was working. Soldiers just don't make good economist. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Ah, the tax revenue and GDP were highest during her tenure. The reserves were high and we have trade surpluses. Yes the money was circulating internal and the multiplier effect was working. Soldiers just don't make good economist. 

The money was circulating into corrupt politicians pockets. The tax revenue came from the poor. The abysmal failed rice scheme where rotten rice was classed as A1, where rice warehouses were looted, pledges of free computers to children were never going to happen, where the rural farmers lost massive amounts because they borrowed money on totally failed corrupt promises, this which (spelling deliberate) deserves to do hard time in a penitentiary. She does get by on 2 million a month and you wonder why she is loathed by all, except those that had their snouts in the trough with her. Shame on anyone who defends her. At least I am seeing major infrastructure reform in my area, something that previous so called democratic parties promised but never delivered. I don't believe in any politicians, at least the killings and murder have ceased and maybe the political parties can reflect that they are supposed to represent everyone, not just their cronies.  

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The Navy has proposed buying three submarines, and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said it’s was the two purchases with one given as a free bonus.

The Cabinet has approved the purchase of one submarine, priced Bt13.5 billion. The total budget is set as Bt36 billion. 

the first sub is 13.5 billion, one sub is a gratuity, leaves the other at 22.5 billion...

that's nearly 10 billion more than the first sub - must be the extras

50 X 13.5 Billion is 675 Billion. Mr. Prawit is telling lies. The loss was extensive, but only around a quarter of that and largely due to a serious fall in rice prices globally.
http://www.benarnews.org/english/news/thai/rice-price-12152016141035.html

Regardless, seeing the pair of them squabbling over who did what is quite pathetic.

Who knows how many they could get for free if they paid the same amount as rice loss costed.

16 hours ago, seajae said:

What a pathetic statement. Perhaps they can sell the subs on for maybe a profit to a nation more in need of them, Laos for example.

14 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

The money was circulating into corrupt politicians pockets. The tax revenue came from the poor. The abysmal failed rice scheme where rotten rice was classed as A1, where rice warehouses were looted, pledges of free computers to children were never going to happen, where the rural farmers lost massive amounts because they borrowed money on totally failed corrupt promises, this which (spelling deliberate) deserves to do hard time in a penitentiary. She does get by on 2 million a month and you wonder why she is loathed by all, except those that had their snouts in the trough with her. Shame on anyone who defends her. At least I am seeing major infrastructure reform in my area, something that previous so called democratic parties promised but never delivered. I don't believe in any politicians, at least the killings and murder have ceased and maybe the political parties can reflect that they are supposed to represent everyone, not just their cronies.  

Major infrastructure reform????? Bullshit, and spending billions on subs which will be better equipped with wheels rather than periscopes is hardly infrastructure reform. Why not spend the billions on the electrical distribution system which is pathetic, both in a visual and user sense? There are many other areas as well, roads, traffic control, etc etc.

16 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Your rant made dramatic reading but really is full of false facts and should be corrected.

The free computer happened in 2012 and given to Grade 1 schools. The junta stopped the program and asked the schools to return the computers and promised that they will use the money to build smart schools. That was last we heard and yes no smart schools were built.

The infrastructure projects were from the previous government. Now you are claiming the credit for the junta. Hilarious. 

If there were corruptions in the rice scheme whether government or private, prosecute them but I have heard few. She was prosecuted for malfeasance not corruption. 

Now can you rant about the current junta reckless purchase of military hardwares, depleting the reserves, cronyism, nepotism, unusual wealth, alleged corruptions, lavish spendings, police state and the inability to stop bombings and killings in the South. 

Instead of spending all this money on submarines with dubious operational roles, I think it would be far better to buy several fleets of armoured cars for the Thai Soldiers carrying out security duties in the far South.  Hopefully it would reduce the death toll.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Submarines on offer 3 for 2 was just too good a bargain to miss .....

I just love Thailand..

can't wait for the U.S.A trade talks.

Indeed. Buy 2, get 1 free. Just like the Evian offer at Tops. Surely they would have been negligent to refuse the offer only to see the likes of Laos, Nepal or Botswana snap them up instead.

The pressure is mounting against the sub purchase

My guess is the only ones that are pro subs are is the Navy and our exalted Leader

I have not come across anyone thai or otherwise that wants Thailand to buy submarines

If we had North Korea at our doorstep then maybe but N K is a long way off and I doubt the USA China or Russia are going to launch covert actividits in the oceans surrounding Thailand

It will be interesting to hear the reason the Navy thinks they need subs Oh yes to combat Drug Smuggling ( You dont need subs for that)

hahahahahaha, computers bought, you mean the cheap crappy chinese garbage that stopped working almost immediately. They paid way too much for the crap they got, many student never even got them and those that did couldnt use them as they would not do what was promised. It was a huge waste of time and money, if you are going to defend it then you are just as sorry as they are. While I may not like the idea of the subs, as I said at least they are able to do what they are meant too unlike the so called computers

19 hours ago, seajae said:

If she dyed her hair blond I would marry her.