Is my Thai drivers license valid identification?

I routinely use my Thai DL to check into domestic flights - Never a problem. Have tried it with hotels a couple of times (just for the heck of it), and failed each time. This is probably due to the additional information mentioned in previous posts.

15 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

I routinely use my Thai DL to check into domestic flights - Never a problem. Have tried it with hotels a couple of times (just for the heck of it), and failed each time. This is probably due to the additional information mentioned in previous posts.

Whenever Hubby and I have traveled with a group of Thai people in Thailand, we've never been asked for our passports when checking into the hotel.  Just us white folks, yeah they want the passports.

2 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Whenever Hubby and I have traveled with a group of Thai people in Thailand, we've never been asked for our passports when checking into the hotel.  Heck, we've gone into Burma and Laos by van or boat with a groups of Thai people that included current and retired gov't employees and never been asked to show our passport.  Just been waived through.  I remember one expat guy in our group who was upset because he wanted to activate a new entry in his multi-entry visa in Mae Sot with one of these excursions and Hubby told him to put his passport away.  I think this was one of the times that Mae Sot wasn't open for in-and-outs. 

So your saying no one in the van had to get out at the border control. So no one had an exit stamp leaving g thailand. Or an entry stamp coming back in?

Here on Samui you get 50% residence discount at Coco waterpark if you have a DL with Samui adress.
You can also use it to get BKK Airways residents card.
I always ask if I can get residential discounts, half will.
Even try bars for discount beer, works sometimes.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Bottom line is This is Thailand some will accept D/L as ID some wont. As for police if stopped D/l usually does the trick. I also have pictures on phone of Passport and relevant Visa.As a back up if going long distances I also have photocopies of the same in the car with the insurance docs. Hotels again some will some won't on D/L trial and error like Joe I would say if going into a hotel carry your passport just in case. I Use the Foreigners pink ID card now that seems to work on everything you mentioned so far.

How does one obtain the pink ID card?

Just now, masuk said:

How does one obtain the pink ID card?

Plenty of threads on here about them basically first you have to get a yellow tabien book then your entitled to a Pink foreigners ID CARD. 

Best option to get started is first ask whoever has the blue book ie house master of the house your living in if they will allow you to have a yellow tabien. If yes go to your local Amphur ask what documents are needed for it . They vary from Amphur to Amphur.  

I have used my Thai DL to check into hotels, to rent room for a year , Internet line  , to get discount in zoo , parks etc.  

So yes it works in several places but I also bring a copy of my PP just in case.  

When someone asks for an ID I always try with the DL first . 

Edited by balo

I have a 2yr Thai car license from Korat, due to expire in June, and obtained on a 3 entry TV. I currently have a METV and recently went to IO div. 1 in BKK for a Certificate of Residence to renew my DL for 5yr, and was advised can only obtain one CR if on a Non-Imm 12 mth visa, with no exceptions. Printed in English on the counter at IO. Only option they gave was to obtain one from my Australia Embassy. Wouldn't be cheap one would expect. Is it only BKK with this tough new requirement, or are other provinces the same? 

4 minutes ago, owenm said:

I have a 2yr Thai car license from Korat, due to expire in June, and obtained on a 3 entry TV. I currently have a METV and recently went to IO div. 1 in BKK for a Certificate of Residence to renew my DL for 5yr, and was advised can only obtain one CR if on a Non-Imm 12 mth visa, with no exceptions. Printed in English on the counter at IO. Only option they gave was to obtain one from my Australia Embassy. Wouldn't be cheap one would expect. Is it only BKK with this tough new requirement, or are other provinces the same? 

Nothing new at Bangkok immigration it has been the same for many year now. They will not do them unless your are doing 90 day reports to them.

Some will issue one with a tourist visa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

So your saying no one in the van had to get out at the border control. So no one had an exit stamp leaving g thailand. Or an entry stamp coming back in?

Yup, that's right.  There were just two or three white people mixed in with local people on quick trips across the borders.  Nobodies passports were examined at Mae Sot. The van was just waved thru.  The Laos crossings were by boat and just for a few hours.  No one around to check passports.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Care to name a state that allows discrimination on ethnic grounds anywhere in the west...?

Many public attractions in the west extend discounts to local residents, senior citizens, students, etc.  We seem to think the "foreigner" here is "farang" pricing and it's not.  It's suppose to be applied to all foreigners, not just white skinned ones.  Besides I pointed out how the Thai Drivers License can be used to obtain a senior discount at the movies and I think it's pretty nice that they extend that discount to us old white people, too.

• Like 1

I carry a 5 year TDL, and copies of my passport including the visa page. So far, that seems to be sufficient.

I'm a bit paranoid about carrying my passport with me at all times. If it's lost or stolen, it would be a major PITA.

On 4/28/2017 at 1:26 PM, NancyL said:

Your TDL has your address on the back, in Thai language, so it's really handy to have on hand when you buy a major appliance and want to have it delivered to your home.  You may be asked to draw a map if it's not a major condo or other obvious address.

Also, the TDL is laid out just like the Thai people's ID, so it can come in handy in situations when you want to prove your age.  The low wage people at the cinema know exactly where to look on the card to determine you deserve the senior discount.

Plus, each province has it's own logo.  Here in Chiang Mai we have the pandas at the CM Zoo.  It makes our TDLs super cute.  Each province's logo is in the lower right corner.  Check out yours.

Yep mine issued in Phuket - has a Tuk Tuk logo lol

• Like 1

I have a lifetime Thai Drivers License that was issued in 1995, I never take my passport with me when travelling domestically, just copies of it. I have never been asked for it at any airport in the country. If asked for foreign ID,, I use my British licence. I know that according to the letter of the law foreigners are supposed to carry their passport and work permit with them at all times. I never have, they are too important to be lost. I have never been asked for ID in a hotel either, and when I have, the UK licence works just fine.

ahh nong khai :)

and nancys right !

my first and second 5 year driving licences both had a picture
of a panda on the bottom right corner  :)

dave2
5903ecbd12664_bordernongkhaifriendshipbridge15jan062006_0115_180647AA.jpg.bb86f3d1d0efdcbf2087ace75446c20e.jpg
5903ecf0198f9_graffitipandaelephantgirlsdancingsplash9nov1520151109_152044.jpg.86fc3f3ae9c0d28c137db3d2ef45127d.jpg

Maybe it's just the new 2 year temporary TDL that I got last year in Nong Khai. And no I'm not going to post it to prove it. I see no panda. Maybe I will get a panda when I get my next one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes i have felt that warm,generous feeling of people wanting to help.Except my amphur for Yellow book.

louse1953, my amphur was very helpful when we initiated the Thai Marriage and Yellow Book procedures. We already had our US Marriage Certificate. Even with a friend of my wife pushing all the paperwork, everyone took both procedures very serious and we did have details to attend to with the Marriage Certificate before dealing with the Yellow Book. In all, we had two trips to Immigration, three interviews with the 2nd in command, also two interviews and final approval from the big boss. A plus was a formal presentation of our Marriage Certificate with photos. All was handled in a very formal, serious, and professional manner. Maybe it was because my wife was a big Isaan regional boss before, they know the family, and her cousin works directly for the big boss. They stuck to the rules but it was very pleasent. Stamp after stamp after stamp on the paperwork and in the big books. I look forward to returning in two years for my Thai ID Card. Does 1953 mean you were also born in 1953?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

On 4/29/2017 at 0:40 AM, PoorSucker said:

Here on Samui you get 50% residence discount at Coco waterpark if you have a DL with Samui adress.
You can also use it to get BKK Airways residents card.
I always ask if I can get residential discounts, half will.
Even try bars for discount beer, works sometimes.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"You can also use it to get BKK Airways residents card."

Is that a discount card? If not, what benefits does it bring?