Intending to leave the UK to live in Thailand. Help needed to know a few facts

Keith5588

20 hours ago, teddog said:

Say nothing to anyone,regarding status in TH,frozen pension etc....even your GP     only need to know and not everything....ps  do not be tempted to buy her a house either  you eventually will lose the lot

An elderly pal of mine spent 140,000 GBP (roughly 7 million baht) purchasing and renovating some properties near Pattaya for his Thai nearest and dearest. He's discovered she's been seeing a fancy man for the last few months and has just been given his marching orders.

It coincided with the time in his life when the last of his life savings had been exhausted on providing what he thought would be a future for himself and her. Even his friends never saw this coming and there are some Doubting Thomases amongst us.

You hear too many of these type of stories all the time and only a fool would pay them no heed.

He's just another lovelorn Falang who'll go back to Falangland broke in more ways than one and with his tale between his legs.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, berybert said:

Just use your brothers address for everything and you wont have to inform anyone of anything.

People will only know what you tell 'em so tell no one anything. Give it a year in Thailand before you make any major decisions.

1 hour ago, berybert said:

Please do not give out information that can lead to someone being put in jail.

Charity work needs a work permit.

I would rather get done by the British government for not declaring I am out of the country, than get done by the Thai government for doing charity work without a permit.

It was a real pain getting a work permit to hand out prizes at the Easter egg hunt ( not sure the kids understood Easter, but loads of presents and good food, music etc. )  for migrant children or doing a bit of fund raising for the children's  Rotary Christmas Bag appeal.

I even had to get a WP to attend various HIV / AIDS fundraisers and buy raffle tickets. 

I was not advocating he goes to work for charities- but get involved in fund raising - - get to know the people running the charities- you will get invites to functions and hopefully expand your social circle.

I am not a Rotarian and don't particularly wish to join - but know loads of people who are, Thai and expats; again it's a way of meeting some very pleasant people.

Its very important to build up a wide social circle- from every corner of the planet, you will always be busy. 

OP don't get put off by the work permit nonsense for helping out a bit. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

The biggest frauds are the British Government. Take them for all you can because that's what they do to you.

OK UK gov could be called deceptive changes but not illegal fraud,  it's just in my view for anyone trying to get an update increases in their UK annual pension by making out they live UK and not Thailand they will end up as a previous post remarked, something will kick out of an computer at some stage and the longer it takes to find out they will be in big doo-doo. 

It's not worth it to me anyway my cowboy days are done. :cool:

Edited by Kwasaki

10 hours ago, tomwct said:

You met a girl. Congrats that's what happens when you come to Thailand. You meet a girl and you pay her for her time. Happens everyday and they are easy to get along with as long as you have a pocket of cash. These are some tips for successfully retiring to Thailand. First, date many girls. Try one for a few months and go get another. Two, learn a little Thai. They will talk about you behind your back. Third, do not bring a lot of cash with you.because you'll be renting an apartment and/or a house for 2-3 years. Your first Visa will cover you for a year of retirement. Fourth, Do Not Buy Anything except maybe transportation, bike, motorcycle, or car. Put in YOUR NAME not the girl you just met! Fifth, do not retire to a Tourist Area, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, ect. You came to Thailand to experience Thailand, not the Go Go Bars. Try NE Thailand, Korat, Khon Kaen, ect. Sixth, Do Not Buy Anything until you decide to live here permanently and always seek help from fellow Expats who have lived here for a long time. Visit the villages, but stay no longer than 1-2 weeks. You do not want to live in your present GF's Village!

I'd say stay in a tourist area. Life in the boondocks will bore you blind. I've known several expats who moved out of Pattaya with their ladyloves only to regret ever having done so. There are lots of expats in Pattaya and it's easy to make friends there. 

Who wants to retire to some out of the way, boring dump where you'll have no one to talk to, no English language TV or newspapers, quite often no internet and everyone goes to bed at 10pm. 

I agree 100% about the GF's village, she'll be the governor. In Pattaya, Phuket etc you'll be your own boss.

7 hours ago, transam said:

That may have been your experience, sorry to hear it, but l can assure you many of us can tell a different story...:smile:

Of those who can tell such a story what has happened when their money ran out?

3 hours ago, transam said:

NHS ever turned anyone away if they have a NI number......?

NHS will never turn anyone away period. They abide, very strictly by the Hippocratic oath and anyone who needs urgent treatment, will get it. 

But. if they discover that you are not entitled to free treatment, and they do check, you will pay very dearly indeed. In London. a bed alone can cost you 800 GBP per night.

And that applies to UK citizens who have moved abroad as well as foreign nationals.

Edited by Moonlover
Add paragragh

36 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I'd say stay in a tourist area. Life in the boondocks will bore you blind. I've known several expats who moved out of Pattaya with their ladyloves only to regret ever having done so. There are lots of expats in Pattaya and it's easy to make friends there. 

Who wants to retire to some out of the way, boring dump where you'll have no one to talk to, no English language TV or newspapers, quite often no internet and everyone goes to bed at 10pm. 

I agree 100% about the GF's village, she'll be the governor. In Pattaya, Phuket etc you'll be your own boss.

Thai is the local language. Stay in the UK if you want to watch English TV and talk to poms.

44 minutes ago, clive dunstan said:

I read last month,can't remember where,it's estimated 2/3 of the british people living in spain have not informed either the uk or Spanish govts that they're living there full-time

Some of these people would be rich and travelling around.

money hasn't run out same lady for over 13 years living well and with in my means got 30 years least on the house and land but I will be long gone b4 then.

Pick the right lady and life is bliss it also  helps if she speaks good English and has no debts and only a step father and step brother, she earns her own money and she has never asked me for any $$$$ in 13 years.

She bought my old mazda 3 off me for cash 600,000 and it is still in my name today.

So they are out there if you are a good person you will get a good person back so my partner tells me. Also I have my own private pension tax free adjusted yearly. I do not qualify for a nz. one for I have been out of nz for more than 6 months.

Edited by whiteman

1 hour ago, transam said:

Well I have read the posts......Now this is absolutely true because I helped the old guy with paperwork...I have written the story before but here it is again...

An old fella near mes friend got sussed by the UK for living in LOS but using a UK address...Perhaps he was grassed up, I don't know. Shit hit the fan, UK wanted their money back and he now lives back in the UK cos he cannot give their money back...

My friend was doing the same thing and came clean a couple of years back with the UK saying he NOW lived in LOS...They came back with, yes, since 2008.........:shock1:

His pension was set at the 2008 level and he had to pay back the difference he received...

The same thing happened to an old chap we knew who was nearly 80! A relative unintentionally landed him in the brown stuff and he had to pay back  all his OAP increments for the years involved.

Just now, whiteman said:

money hasn't run out same lady for over 13 years living well and with in my means got 30 years least on the house and land but I will be long gone b4 then.

Pick the right lady and life is bliss it also  helps if she speaks good English and has no debts and only a step father and step brother, she earns her own money and she has never asked me for any $$$$ in 13 years.

She bought my old mazda 3 off me for cash 600,000 and it is still in my name today.

So they are out there if you are a good person you will get a good person back so my partner tells me

Correct. Good attracts good. Trash attracts trash.

42 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Thai is the local language. Stay in the UK if you want to watch English TV and talk to poms.

42 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

What do you do if you can't speak Thai. The vast majority of us reading this forum can't speak Thai let alone understand what's being said on a Thai TV program.

I can talk to Poms or anyone who can speak English, watch English TV as well as consorting with available pretty young women 24 hours a day, 7 days a week right here in my hotel in Pattaya. In fact I like talking to Poms and other nationalities, watching English TV and enjoying the company of pretty girls. Explain why I should want to stay in the UK?

When I require your advice on where I want to stay I'll contact you, OK.

Edited by yogi100

I wouldn't tell anyone "official" that you were leaving the uk for at least a year, then make your decision. Just say you are moving to your brothers address. The only down side is that HMRC will tax your rental income but if you are not working and have no salary the tax you pay will not be too much, it may even be within your personal allowance (depending on how much rent and other income that you may have. On the upside, remaining 'resident' means your pension will continue to be indexed, not frozen, and your NHS cover will continue should you need to return for health reasons in the future.

Edited by cme

I rented my apartment using a managing agent in London when I first came out to live in Thailand 10 years ago.

Every month I had the tenants complaining they needed something to be repaired or replaced. After one year I had made about 1% nett income based on the value of the place.

Decided to sell and used some of the money to buy a place here to live and another to rent  out, on which I get more than 5% and live nearby so can monitor any requests for repairs etc. to be done there.

Just now, lelapin said:

I rented my apartment using a managing agent in London when I first came out to live in Thailand 10 years ago.

Every month I had the tenants complaining they needed something to be repaired or replaced. After one year I had made about 1% nett income based on the value of the place.

Decided to sell and used some of the money to buy a place here to live and another to rent  out, on which I get more than 5% and live nearby so can monitor any requests for repairs etc. to be done there.

You can get 6% dividend yield on shares. No tenants. No repairs.

3 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

If you're 64 and She is <30 and you met in a BAR

stay in thr UK and save yourself lots of aggression 

and money

Nah @ 64 have a good time while you can just don't fall in luv.  :thumbsup:

That may have been your experience, sorry to hear it, but l can assure you many of us can tell a different story...[emoji2]

Completely right,i have many friends married to Thai women ,not one of them has been ripped off,none have horror stories,and most do not have to support the family, my wifes family in over 20 years have never asked for a bhat,, so dont listen to stories from people who have married the first bar girl who told them how handsom they were,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A couple of pieces of advice I would give to the OP, based on personal experience. Firstly, arrange for a utility bill (water is the obvious one) to be put in your name, either at your rented out property or at your brother's. Secondly, if it's feasible, I would bring your lady friend to live with you in the UK for 2 or 3 months before committing yourself. This would help you to ensure your compatibility, and also remove some of her inbuilt Thai prejudices and misapprehensions.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Have you ever heard of any UK born person getting turned away from any treatment in a UK hospital?

No hospital in the UK will turn you away for emergency treatment or otherwise but what they will do is 'bill you' at one and a half times the cost.

Edited by jamie2009
Mistake

Wow so many replies, a lot of good advice, thank you.

I stayed in Khon Kaen for the 4 months, I also stayed in Khon Kaen for 2 months over 1 year ago.

I had some friends there and most of the time played golf 4 days a week, plus swimming for the exercise. I don’t drink much alcohol.

Concerning the ladies, I did have 2 short relationships with Khon Kaen Thai ladies, I didn’t give them any money as they did not need any and they lived close to where I was staying. Both relationships were not right for a long term relationship, I think they were both nice honest ladies but not right for me.

I was then communicating with my present lady, a long story but although her family home is in Khon Kaen provence she was working in Bangkok. The problem was she was seemed more and more like the one for me (I am looking for a long term relationship), and she writes English very well. The problem is her working in Bangkok. She works in a factory and earns a basic 10,000 baht per month but she regularly does a lot of overtime and so earns 15,000 baht per month. She has given me the name of the company she works for and I have seen it in video calls. She has an older son who is married and has a job but she has to support her youngest son who is 15 and at school in Bangkok.

She managed to take 6 weeks leave from her work and to be with me in Khon Kaen.

Basically I would not want to live in Bangkok because I think the air is unhealthy, also I would not want her to work. Her son can stay in Bangkok in the same small house because other family live close.

What do I do?  We got along well. When we discussed money I straight away said I would give her the 15,000 baht per month, I think that is only fair.  It is within my monthly budget and renting out my house will help.

Is she honest with me?  I’m not sure, so far I think she is.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice, I now understand more than I did.

I had already decided never to spend money in Thailand that I would want back.

Been busy today so haven’t  telephoned HMRC yet

Thanks again

Keith

On 01/05/2017 at 8:20 PM, saakura said:

You stayed here for 4 months in total, meet a girl and decide to close down shop in UK and relocate to Thailand for being with her. Love you 'long time'

Why not? I came here for the first time in May 2012 for a holiday with my brother who was and still is married to a Thai. Moved here in August 2012 and have never looked back and couldn't be happier. Not everyone is a mummy's boy that can't take care of themselves.

well keith just a few rights or wrongs.first i lived in thailand on and off for 4yrs.sampling the local produce.

i took the plunge after a lot of research,that was 27yrs.ago still married and enjoying my life.

studying what you wrote i would say all us oldies would reconize maybe a red flag flying.

1 she writes good english,where did she learn that OR someone translated a letter for her.

2 working in a factory doing a lot of overtime.:shock1:

3 able to have 6weeks off work.so if she is doing a lot of overtime that means they are short staffed.

4 an older son or could be a brother? you must work that out for yourself.

5 a younger son in school in bkk. that is not cheap.

6 last one for now where does she live in bkk.that too is not cheap.

so take your time and do some research and DONT believe all what your told then MAYBE you might become one of us who have been very very LUCKY.

8 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

No hospital in the UK will turn you away for emergency treatment or otherwise but what they will do is 'bill you' at one and a half times the cost.

and how are they going to get it? Suppose it was someone with only a state pension?

8 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

Wow so many replies, a lot of good advice, thank you.

I stayed in Khon Kaen for the 4 months, I also stayed in Khon Kaen for 2 months over 1 year ago.

I had some friends there and most of the time played golf 4 days a week, plus swimming for the exercise. I don’t drink much alcohol.

Concerning the ladies, I did have 2 short relationships with Khon Kaen Thai ladies, I didn’t give them any money as they did not need any and they lived close to where I was staying. Both relationships were not right for a long term relationship, I think they were both nice honest ladies but not right for me.

I was then communicating with my present lady, a long story but although her family home is in Khon Kaen provence she was working in Bangkok. The problem was she was seemed more and more like the one for me (I am looking for a long term relationship), and she writes English very well. The problem is her working in Bangkok. She works in a factory and earns a basic 10,000 baht per month but she regularly does a lot of overtime and so earns 15,000 baht per month. She has given me the name of the company she works for and I have seen it in video calls. She has an older son who is married and has a job but she has to support her youngest son who is 15 and at school in Bangkok.

She managed to take 6 weeks leave from her work and to be with me in Khon Kaen.

Basically I would not want to live in Bangkok because I think the air is unhealthy, also I would not want her to work. Her son can stay in Bangkok in the same small house because other family live close.

What do I do?  We got along well. When we discussed money I straight away said I would give her the 15,000 baht per month, I think that is only fair.  It is within my monthly budget and renting out my house will help.

Is she honest with me?  I’m not sure, so far I think she is.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice, I now understand more than I did.

I had already decided never to spend money in Thailand that I would want back.

Been busy today so haven’t  telephoned HMRC yet

Thanks again

Keith

In basic negotiations you never concede money up front. You have just signalled to the other party that you are a soft target which means it could go from 15000 to 30000 just as easy.

If there is an age gap she would see an atm machine on legs.

Any relationship based on money rather than love is likely to fail sooner or later.

14 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Of those who can tell such a story what has happened when their money ran out?

Mine has, but still live a life that my UK chums would envy, and here a grown up working family that think l am a great bloke as they know mum is very happy with years of love and affection that they have never seen before...so that's my story..........:stoner:

11 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

and how are they going to get it? Suppose it was someone with only a state pension?

Regarding Jamie's comment 1st. This is quite true and I will add that these charges only apply if one is hospitalized. Accident and emergency services are free for all comers. Read more at:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/uk-visitors/visiting-england/Pages/visitors-from-outside-the-eea.aspx

As far Possum's comment goes, I'm trying, (and failing) to come up with a scenario whereby a British National, living in Thailand on just a state pension (is that even possible?) finds himself seeking treatment in an NHS hospital. If I were in that situation I wouldn't be able to afford the bus fare to Bangkok, never mind the air fair to London! So I think this is rather a moot point.

However, those who do think they might be able to 'slide under the wire', so to speak, should visit the following website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/recovering-the-cost-of-nhs-treatments-given-to-overseas-visitors

Edited by Moonlover

15 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The same thing happened to an old chap we knew who was nearly 80! A relative unintentionally landed him in the brown stuff and he had to pay back  all his OAP increments for the years involved.

I also know of a case like this. She was living in Egypt and using an elderly relative's address.

Her bubble burst when the relative failed to  receive his winter heating allowance and wanted to know why.

There are many ways one can be caught out and the authorities are becoming ever more vigilant. 

Beware of advice from 'bar stool lawyers' Keith.

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

well keith just a few rights or wrongs.first i lived in thailand on and off for 4yrs.sampling the local produce.

i took the plunge after a lot of research,that was 27yrs.ago still married and enjoying my life.

studying what you wrote i would say all us oldies would reconize maybe a red flag flying.

1 she writes good english,where did she learn that OR someone translated a letter for her.

2 working in a factory doing a lot of overtime.:shock1:

3 able to have 6weeks off work.so if she is doing a lot of overtime that means they are short staffed.

4 an older son or could be a brother? you must work that out for yourself.

5 a younger son in school in bkk. that is not cheap.

6 last one for now where does she live in bkk.that too is not cheap.

so take your time and do some research and DONT believe all what your told then MAYBE you might become one of us who have been very very LUCKY.

sorry keith but you have come a cropper at the first hurdle:sorry: you have broken the golden rule,by promising her MONEY before you start,unless her ex is paying her to look after her son,15,000bht.wont go far.

you need at least 50,000 a month.