Change extension of stay from Marriage to retirement

Today went to Immigration {Kanchanaburi} to ask about changing from extension of stay based on marriage to retirement , last 12 months I have been in Thailand based on Marriage. Reason being for why I wanted change was retirement a lot easier regards paper work etc and have the required funds in a Thai Bank.

Was told  that I would have to  leave the country and obtain a new non immigrant visa based on retirement. 

Not a big problem for me , as will do the marriage way again, just a lot more involved

Interested to know if this happens in other provinces currently, as have read (only read) that one could change the reason of stay on there passport stamp

3 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Wrong information from them. 

You just change the reason for application next time round.

You have also posted in the wrong forum which is why you have had no replies.

Maybe but when I, some time ago, decided to try and change from retirement to marriage

extension the lady in charge, at the time, in Phuket imm. Office told me exactly the same

thing i.e. that I would have to obtain a new non O from outside the country to change from

retirement to marriage extension so unless things have changed, which of course is possible, 

it may not be wrong information from them?? 

4 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Maybe but when I, some time ago, decided to try and change from retirement to marriage

extension the lady in charge, at the time, in Phuket imm. Office told me exactly the same

thing i.e. that I would have to obtain a new non O from outside the country to change from

retirement to marriage extension so unless things have changed, which of course is possible, 

it may not be wrong information from them?? 

Yeah l would find it very strange as said before that immigration would have different rules around Thailand sounds like the DLT's scenario. :biggrin:

Sukhothai was under Masot imm office and l changed from retirement to marriage and went to retirement and back again to marriage no problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, selwonk said:

Today went to Immigration {Kanchanaburi} to ask about changing from extension of stay based on marriage to retirement , last 12 months I have been in Thailand based on Marriage.

Might be some confusion with the word "change."  You don't want to change your current extension but rather you want an extension based on retirement once the current extension expires.

There have been posts about some immigrations offices encouraging some applicants to opt for a retirement extension rather than continue with the marriage extension (supposedly because the retirement extension is less hassle for them as well as you).

Obviously different offices (and different officers) have different views on how thing can and should be done, but I would think when your marriage extension expires you could change the reason for applying for a new extension from one based on marriage to one based on retirement without needing a new visa entry.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

You use the same form, but change the reason for extension to "retirement", not "married to Thai national". On that first visit using the new reason, you will have to bring your wife. The officer will ask her if she understands and agrees with your new extension. Subsequent yearly extensions you can go alone.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Might be some confusion with the word "change."  You don't want to change your current extension but rather you want an extension based on retirement once the current extension expires.

There have been posts about some immigrations offices encouraging some applicants to opt for a retirement extension rather than continue with the marriage extension (supposedly because the retirement extension is less hassle for them as well as you).

Obviously different offices (and different officers) have different views on how thing can and should be done, but I would think when your marriage extension expires you could change the reason for applying for a new extension from one based on marriage to one based on retirement without needing a new visa entry.

Can be done. I changed from marriage to retirement about 4 years ago at Khon Kaen. With all the correct paperwork, easy as pie.

Just a hint: Always get a """" visa"""" ( extension of stay ) based on retirement if possible.  Consider the fact that marriages break, and your extension of stay would become invalid....plus.... LESS PAPERWORK!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Wrong information. I changed from marriage to retirement in Bangkok on the day i went to renew my extension based on marriage because the immigration officer advised me that it was easier. which was true. I was comcerned about getting a retirement extension because i work o/s on contract basis and they said no dramas to that. 

Thanks for your replies.

After speaking to them at immigration, they gave me the TM 7 form & this form as well which I only noticed this morning.

In my thinking Clause 1 seems to verify what I was told.

Cheers

IMG_5672.JPG

30 minutes ago, selwonk said:

Thanks for your replies.

After speaking to them at immigration, they gave me the TM 7 form & this form as well which I only noticed this morning.

In my thinking Clause 1 seems to verify what I was told.

That is the standard acknowledgement they should have everybody complete and sign when they apply for the extension (completed and signed 9 of them).

Number one means a change of the reason for the extension which means your current extension would end on the date you do it. In your case it would cancel your current extension based upon marriage and you would apply for one based upon retirement. 

It certainly does not mean you have to get a new visa.

That is the standard acknowledgement they should have everybody complete and sign when they apply for the extension (completed and signed 9 of them).

Number one means a change of the reason for the extension which means your current extension would end on the date you do it. In your case it would cancel your current extension based upon marriage and you would apply for one based upon retirement. 

It certainly does not mean you have to get a new visa.

Thanks for clarification, I believe I have been told the wrong info at Immigration,but this time I will apply again for the 12 month extension based on marriage as they were adamant that they were correct.

Cheers

On 5/2/2017 at 2:17 PM, Suradit69 said:

Quite. When I went to renew my marriage extension I was told that the rules had changed and that we must have witnesses again. I changed the application to retirement there and then, no objection from immigration, they just handed the docs back and sent me to another desk. I just handed everything over and they gave me back what they didn't want. Walked out about an hour later with retirement extension.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 8:50 PM, nchuckle said:

Just changed from marriage to retirement in Korat. They welcome and encourage it as easier for both them and you. 

Me too in fact they recommended to change from marriage to retirement because they ( immigration in Khorat) can grant it same day as opposed to having to send all the blah blah to BKK then MAYBE get it granted in three months.....