Demolition crews move in to demolish South Pattaya "boutique hotel"

webfact

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Always amazes me how little it costs to demolish a place here....same on that building down at Ballihai Pier. 

Can' t begin to imagine what it would cost to take down a 13 story back home......the dynimite alone would cost that?

They'll probably save on costs by having a labourer light the six inch fuses.

I have to call B.S. on this one.

This hotel was ordered to remove the extended floors about three years ago.

The demolition on the top of the hotel has been like this for the past three  or four months.

No one knows who authorized the extended floors to be built.

There was enough activity to attract the authorities attention when construction was started, and could have been stopped. It took several month to complete.

41 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

They'll probably save on costs by having a labourer light the six inch fuses.

Should go for the Fred Dibnah method, knock big holes in the ground floor supporting walls and fill with wooden trusses, then set fire to them.

40fernbank4.jpg.6343d1fd32acb4191a5223a3b0865567.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Balance said:

I doubt if there is a controlled explosion demolition firm in Thailand.  I think they take them down from the top by hand.

..Im sure the 'rocketeers' from Isaan will give them some tips.

9 hours ago, Balance said:

I doubt if there is a controlled explosion demolition firm in Thailand.  I think they take them down from the top by hand.

What would make you think that??? :vampire: 

The middle building in pic #1 is where 4 died during the demolition this past December...next to the Wells International School on Sukhumvit Rd. Look closely in pic #2 and a second man is on the rollers of the power shovel! :shock1:5909bb0c75582_DSC03224(Large).JPG.397e9b63746553e2bc957ff5b0da4755.JPG5909bb09e3ea4_DSC03354(Large).JPG.6c110056c41e6e7caf654d7536affa0c.JPG

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And a whole Central Festival parking garage with a Hilton Hotel on top happily erased the sea views on the north side

Nothing new in that. Cf. Saranchol/Sky Beach in Wong Amart.

It's bugger all to do with the rules.

Well, no, given the lack of rules. Reminds of that scene in Butch Cassidy about "rules in a knife fight."

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

U can block others  as long as the building permit matches the number of floors.building permit for a 7 story building and a building permit for a 30 story building is not the same.

Exactly. If you want to own the view you have to own all the property in front of you.

• Like 2

Glad I am not invested in the Jomtien Holiday Group!

Despite what some may "claim", investing in property DOES have its risks. One of the many risk factors to be considered is political risk, be it central Government politics or local area politics!!

52 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Glad I am not invested in the Jomtien Holiday Group!

Not publicly listed, so I think you had not much chance of doing that. You may short property and construction-related stocks on the SET, however, as so many of our ace TVF Real Estate Analysts are doing. ;)

Despite what some may "claim", investing in property DOES have its risks.

Please cite a post or reference where someone said investing in property has no risks. I don't think there are any. But this discussion belongs in one our many threads devoted to this delicious subject.

2.9mn is one thing, but 6 ....SIX.....months??

Gather a crew of 50 Cambodians, Laotians and/or Birmese. 

Give them 20k and on 10k on top if they succeed to get the job done in 2 months.

Time is money......even in Thailand

On 5/3/2017 at 3:28 AM, Toshiba66 said:

I find this story really frightening. They virtually doubled the height of the building. Were the footings and engineering able to permit the extra weight? How many other buildings are like this in Thailand? Its a wonder the thing didn't fall down by itself.

When the Siren bar complex at the beginning of Walking Street wanted to fully utilise the upstairs, they added an inch or two of cement to the base of the columns in the bars below to "take the extra weight".

Only up to about 3 feet of course, they didn't want to waste too much precious material.

Engineering survey ? Not a chance.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 8:15 AM, Balance said:

That's right.

Place near the condo I was staying in had a tractor demolishing the top floor. Must have been a big crane to get it up.

Anyway, good on them for knocking it down. Illegal building must be the bane of Pattaya.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is it about W S that you want it demolished?

No one is forcing you to go there, or even to go to Pattaya.

The illegally built building encroaching on the beach that have been due for the chop for the last 20 odd years.

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

The illegally built building encroaching on the beach that have been due for the chop for the last 20 odd years.

You can make that 30 years, at least.

Without them, there would be no W S, hence no money, so unlikely to happen. 

Not saying it won't, but unlikely as "influential" people don't like losing money.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. If so, apologies.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is it about W S that you want it demolished?

No one is forcing you to go there, or even to go to Pattaya.

Well its nicer if it becomes an integrated green  park and marina boulevard pedestrians zone only.all  buildings that are beach overcrowding should be flattened for this purpose.

Edited by Destiny1990

On 5/3/2017 at 10:14 AM, mark01 said:

Always "selective" enforcement of building regulations.

Apply to all or none at all.

First, selective enforcement to set example and always followed by passing around empty brown envelopes in the vicinity and targeted enforcement on the ones  who did not fill them with green

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well its nicer if it becomes an integrated green  park and marina boulevard pedestrians zone only.all  buildings that are beach overcrowding should be flattened for this purpose.

No. It's nicer if they lifted all the closing hour and nudity restrictions. And offered free beer as well. :smile: And while we're at it, they should also mandate lower noise levels in the go-gos and insist that at least 20% must play rock 'n' roll. Furthermore, each member of a Chinese tour group must buy at least one drink in a go-go. These measures would boost tourism to a degree beyond TAT's wildest exaggerations whereas a sterile generic "integrated green park" replacing the current buildings would have the opposite effect.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can make that 30 years, at least.

Without them, there would be no W S, hence no money, so unlikely to happen. 

Not saying it won't, but unlikely as "influential" people don't like losing money.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. If so, apologies.

Pattaya was thriving when WS was a dirt track with a beach, it was the greed of the corruptible that allowed the corrupter's to mussel in on an already thriving flesh trade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No. It's nicer if they lifted all the closing hour and nudity restrictions. And offered free beer as well. :smile: And while we're at it, they should also mandate lower noise levels in the go-gos and insist that at least 20% must play rock 'n' roll. Furthermore, each member of a Chinese tour group must buy at least one drink in a go-go. These measures would boost tourism to a degree beyond TAT's wildest exaggerations whereas a sterile generic "integrated green park" replacing the current buildings would have the opposite effect.

Parks are very appreciated and everybody enjoys it from young to old.The ratio bars parks in Pattaya are out of balance?

Edited by Destiny1990

6 months to demolish?  ridiculous.  Of course it all depends on how many people you put on the task and how well they work.  It should not take too long to rip out all the fixtures, interior walls etc. even if not wrecking balling the place.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:57 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Thou jest. This is Pattaya. There will never be a park for the people. As seen on the beach walkway, it will be designed to put up stalls for selling c**p, so no one will be able to use it in  the way you desire anyway. There used to be a lovely walkway to the lighthouse, then they rented it out to the speedboats for parking and it's destroyed now.