Pattaya beach umbrella and lounger operators furious at new regulations

snoop1130

Pattaya beach umbrella and lounger operators furious at new regulations

18199145_1518057928215136_1730502550390547981_n.jpg

Umbrella and lounger operators on Pattaya And Jomtien beaches are furious about planned new regulations to limit their operations.

The plans announced several weeks ago and confirmed at a Pattaya Council meeting last week are designed to return the beaches to the public in line with the government's aim to return happiness to the people, said Sophon Cable on Facebook.

The main thrust of the plans is to ban the operators on Wednesday and Thursday - en extra day from previous regulations. Food preparation is also set to be banned as will be the set up of tables to facilitate eating.

Operators will be asked not to set up chairs until tourists come along. And all equipment must be removed by Tuesday night for cleaners to work on the beach and henceforth after each day of operation.

The leader of a group representing the operators has said that all this is very unfair to his members. Sanan (no surname supplied) said that the government were acting as though the operators were rich and could simply afford the loss of business.

He said that they had seen a steady decline in their business in recent years. Now, despite following regulations introduced over the years without complaint, this was a step too far.

He asked the council to reconsider especially the two day ban on operations that would seriously impact his members, Sanan said.

All operators are set to be able to inhabit one pitch in future. This will be limited in size to 9x7 meters and areas of operation are set to be reorganized and more limited in future.

Source: STV Pattaya - https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/1518058058215123

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-5-3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Operators will be asked not to set up chairs until tourists come along. And all equipment must be removed by Tuesday night for cleaners to work on the beach and henceforth after each day of operation.

Sounds like progress.  Thai people hate progress.

First of all, the operators all act as if they have the right to be there and it's their beach! It is the King's beach.  There are other alternatives and frankly I don't give a rip about their losing baht.

In most places in America, for example, operators are allowed to provide chairs and umbrellas AT THE REQUEST OF AN INDIVIDUAL.  This makes more sense than outright banning of umbrella and chair operators in a given area. I myself would have liked to have an individual spot where I could have an umbrella and a chair so that I could both sunbathe and, when I so choose, to be sheltered from the sun under the umbrella. I hope in the future that the beaches are returned to the people and the King. 

As for food, no table and chairs are necessary. The few people who will miss a meal will soon find other ways to satisfy their needs. Drinks could be still sold on the beach if there was a good way to guarantee clean up.  Food and scraps are tossed into the sea and no one is there to clean up. Nor are there sufficient waste cans for those few who do clean up after themselves.  The government would do well to advertise for cleanliness in all aspects of life. Some of the non used or undeveloped lots and many canals are full of debris also. 

There is ample room for people who want to sit on chairs and for those who don't. There will be no choice for 2 days out of 7. It is interesting to note that beach chairs are welcome at weekends and long holiday weekends, when Thais descend on the city. Monday was packed to capacity on the beach chairs with Thais; including many with farangs; in their thousands spending plenty on food and drinks. If vendors are driven away there will have to be a rethink on policy similar to the current change in Phuket.  Beach chairs were banned there, but are now coming back.

7 minutes ago, liberty9133 said:

As for food, no table and chairs are necessary. The few people who will miss a meal will soon find other ways to satisfy their needs. Drinks could be still sold on the beach if there was a good way to guarantee clean up.  Food and scraps are tossed into the sea and no one is there to clean up. Nor are there sufficient waste cans for those few who do clean up after themselves.  The government would do well to advertise for cleanliness in all aspects of life. Some of the non used or undeveloped lots and many canals are full of debris also. 

All operators pay rent; they do not own the beach. Anyone sat at a table gets a rubbish bin and smokers all get ashtrays. Food scraps are not thrown in the sea. There are big blue bins on the prom and all rubbish goes in them. Operators keep their pitches clean; they want to attract customers.

Absolute farce from city hall stupid farcical imbecilic and everything inbetween.....so tell us city hall where do we put all the non food items previously put on tables for starters

Come out and tell the truth you dont want tourists here at all. You're doing a mighty fine job of doing it currently. Can you just imagine a greek beach operator saying sorry sir you cant sit in the sun on your chair lol

These people are <deleted> simple as

37 minutes ago, liberty9133 said:

First of all, the operators all act as if they have the right to be there and it's their beach! It is the King's beach.  There are other alternatives and frankly I don't give a rip about their losing baht.

In most places in America, for example, operators are allowed to provide chairs and umbrellas AT THE REQUEST OF AN INDIVIDUAL.  This makes more sense than outright banning of umbrella and chair operators in a given area. I myself would have liked to have an individual spot where I could have an umbrella and a chair so that I could both sunbathe and, when I so choose, to be sheltered from the sun under the umbrella. I hope in the future that the beaches are returned to the people and the King. 

Completely wrong on every level close to comedy gold in fact

The local administration is wholly to blame......not only in Pattaya, but all beaches!

They are the ones that "allocate" a space, with fee of course, to beach operators.

As all beach land is owned by the crown, it's essentially illegal to rent out.

The army is making the changes as the local administrators have never wanted to cut off the hand that feeds them.....!

Edited by ChrisY1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Food preparation is also set to be banned as will be the set up of tables to facilitate eating.

Isn't that what most Thais love to do at the beach, sit with family and friends and eat seafood. So how is that bringing happiness to the people?

42 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Isn't that what most Thais love to do at the beach, sit with family and friends and eat seafood. So how is that bringing happiness to the people?

Don't forget the whisky...

Weren't expecting them to be happy about it.

Turning public space into your own money spinning venture is fraught with risks, particularly when you abuse people who want to use it as public space.

Umbrellas up.... Umbrellas down.....

All this flipping is doing no good whatsoever.

Pattaya beach is horrible. It's dirty, rat invested and packed with unsightly umbrellas and chairs.

If they want Pattaya to be a "family" destination, then it needs changing.

Unfortunately, as usual, it's the people making money out of this that make the decisions. Or don't make decisions.

Just look at all the motorbikes for hire all along beach road, effectively taking up all parking places.

How can they get away with this? - baht to city officials....

Just spent a couple of weeks in Patong and the beach is a real tourist area, its clean, few but sufficient umbrellas and looked fantastic. Pity about the brown slick but I guess thats a work in progress. Btw, Bangla is just a sanitised shadow of its former self. Pity but maybe clean beaches and cleaned out Bangla has a connection........................

I find it overly restrictive banning them two *consecutive* days.  For those beachgoing vacationers who want to sit under the umbrellas, it might be more palatable to do it on non-consecutive days?  e.g.  They could forgo the beach on Tuesday & Thursday, but still go on Mon/Wed/Fri.  Under the current proposal, if they arrived on vacation on Tuesday afternoon, they'd not be able to go to the beach until the third day.  Similarly, if they were departing Pattaya on Friday, they'd lose the last couple days of beaching it.

What a load of juvenile rubbish is written here by people who never go to the beach.Please try to understand this: if the 'people' did not want the vendors there, then they would not open !

For those who want 'happiness to the people' there are kilometres upon kilometres of uninhabited beach along the coast.

I can only speak about Jomtien and not Pattaya beach (do you see what I did there? --- speaking only from personal experience).

For those I mentioned above, let me give you some information --- the beaches ARE cleaned daily after operation AND early morning by the vendors.

No food or rubbish is thrown into the sea.

Each table is provided with a small table and rubbish bin and as, mentioned before, ashtrays if required.

Now a challenge to all those who object so vociferously about tourists relaxing on the beaches --- please venture out from behind you keyboard on a Wednesday and provide us with photographic evidence of the municipality cleaning the beaches on any Wednesday.

Brain dead idiots... in high season no available chairs... better to install toilets and showers. No way to sit on the sand soaked by dog urine and melting on the sun...

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Weren't expecting them to be happy about it.

Turning public space into your own money spinning venture is fraught with risks, particularly when you abuse people who want to use it as public space.

This post and others like it are written by a very unpleasant lot...

Who have not given any thought to what they write...

There is already a 50/50 split between open beach and vendors..

Good for everyone.

Has anyone noticed that Pattayas ocean water is filthy..The color

of the water is between black and gray...The water is almost not

fit for swimming...Also did anyone notice most of the shade trees

were cut down in 2013...

Point being there is <deleted> absolutely nothing good on Pattaya

beach for tourist,expats or Thais EXCEPT THE BEACH CHAIRS

AND UMBRELLAS...Nothing nothing at all....

STOP blabbering on and on about reclaming the beach for nature

that boat sailed 30-40 years ago....You cant have a natural beach

with black putrid water...Pattaya beach is a dump there

is nothing to save EXCEPT for the beach chairs and umbrellas..

Is this so hard to understand..

Edited by fforest1

25 minutes ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

Yes, in order to leave no other choice to people than using thei service. They just want to take over the place as they did before

Actually the beach is about 50% open beach everyday.... 

22 minutes ago, mok199 said:

I think the end game,  is tighter control of the food and beach umberella vendors...

Its all very strange...The beach vendors operate a very low

profit business..They put in long hours for very little money..

There is not much fat to trim like in a GoGo bar....

I don't see what they want to accomplish sense half

the beach is already cleared...
With-out the chairs and umbrellas the beach will be unusable

for most people during the day.....

What little shade there is now is mostly hogged by the

beach road riff-raff....

Pattaya beach is bad enough as it is...With-out the 

beach chairs and umbrellas it will be intolerable during

the day...

Edited by fforest1