Dwindling Options

Being an old fart, drilling in my nose and scraching my ass takes up most of my time. Still I managed to find time to do some research, concernig "if not Thailand for retirement, where else"? I have considered:

- Political stability
- Infrastructure (including health services)
- Climate
- Personal safety
- Visa situation
- Cost of living

For me, Thailand came up first. Note: The same research I did some 5 years ago, offered 2 to 3 alternatives. Had to eliminate those alternatives as of now. Ergo: Dwindling options. I was not expecting this.

So, before pulling up stakes in Thailand, make sure that the pasture of the new destination is still as green as it was 5 years ago. It may have changed.
Cheers.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

think the key to enjoying thailand is not spending the whole year there and not getting trapped there. i wanted to leave for a while but owned a house in pattaya that took years to sell. i started to get bitter. i will move back to thailand in the future but will stay mobile. i will just rent a condo and not work.  thailand is still my preferred choice of country to live for most of the year. i did a trip to cambodia last year and it would probably be a distant second best place to live. always interesting to hear from people who have tried or who are living some where else after leaving thailand.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

6 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

think the key to enjoying thailand is not spending the whole year there and not getting trapped there. i wanted to leave for a while but owned a house in pattaya that took years to sell. i started to get bitter. i will move back to thailand in the future but will stay mobile. i will just rent a condo and not work.  thailand is still my preferred choice of country to live for most of the year. i did a trip to cambodia last year and it would probably be a distant second place to live. always interesting to hear from people who have tried or who are living some where else after leaving thailand.

Interesting for me to read your post. I feel like taking a "break" from Thailand myself after 16 years here, things are not going good between myself and my partner of about 8 years but am finding it real difficult to sell my house (and a condo). Like yourself I find my attitude getting a bit bitter, not because Thailand has changed, I'm aware it is myself that is changing due to the "trapped here" feeling I have.

She ( my partner) is living in the house while I live in a condo in Patts.

At 68 now I also find myself doing a lot of "looking back" and thinking of how I want to spend my remaining years on this beautiful planet ( at least before the people on it started to go crazy).

8 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Interesting for me to read your post. I feel like taking a "break" from Thailand myself after 16 years here, things are not going good between myself and my partner of about 8 years but am finding it real difficult to sell my house (and a condo). Like yourself I find my attitude getting a bit bitter, not because Thailand has changed, I'm aware it is myself that is changing due to the "trapped here" feeling I have.

At 68 now I also find myself doing a lot of "looking back" and thinking of how I want to spend my remaining years on this beautiful planet ( at least before the people on it started to go crazy).

Don't let "externals" get you down. At our age, everyday is a present. I just think of those who didn't make it to this age, and those with serious health issues. Thailand can be good or bad, but that feeling of gratitude for another day lies within ourselfves. 

9 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

People on it were far more crazy in the past.

31 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

think the key to enjoying thailand is not spending the whole year there and not getting trapped there. i wanted to leave for a while but owned a house in pattaya that took years to sell. i started to get bitter. i will move back to thailand in the future but will stay mobile. i will just rent a condo and not work.  thailand is still my preferred choice of country to live for most of the year. i did a trip to cambodia last year and it would probably be a distant second best place to live. always interesting to hear from people who have tried or who are living some where else after leaving thailand.

I worked that out after a few visits. Thai culture is fun for a few months. After that it gets annoying. Cheap rentals galore. No need to buy something that may take a year or more to sell for a decent price. These 6 month multi entry visas are the way to go.

1 minute ago, BigKahuna said:

I worked that out after a few visits. Thai culture is fun for a few months. After that it gets annoying. Cheap rentals galore. No need to buy something that may take a year or more to sell for a decent price. These 6 month multi entry visas are the way to go.

yea 6 months a year would be perfect. from what i hear the METV are a bit tricky but great if you have managed to make them work.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

yea 6 months a year would be perfect. from what i hear the METV are a bit tricky but great if you have managed to make them work.

Another option is build a base in Malaysia which has better visa free options then hop over to Thailand for 30 days every couple of months.

I know two couples who have chosen Vietnam over Thailand in the last few months. I didn't get in their face about asking why but I think the visa thing and buying property was a factor.

Both of these couples were retiring and quite well off.

40 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

You have hit on what I consider the most important issue, mobility. I know far too many who have buried themselves here with property and businesses the  costs of which they can only hope to recover if they want to leave.

As far as swissie's criteria list:  

Political stability--well several juntas and martial law changes later, still stable
Infrastructure (including health services)--admittedly, pretty good
Climate--not impressed, plenty of other places; I am from Florida
Personal safety--not so safe here; been robbed, threatened with a gun, run-off the road
Visa situation--pretty dismal, there are many places where it is far simpler
Cost of living--comparable to many others

It seems infrastructure is the only sure positive--for the old codgers, this may be most important

So, I think it depends upon you, what you want.

27 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

dont let it get you down. i actually had 2 houses and sold them both on the bahtnsold website. i have put a deposit on a condo but i am going to walk away from it as i would rather rent in the future.  was not easy selling the houses but a big relief when i got payment for them in the bank. living with a thai partner is far harder than living with a western one. many guys want a younger better looking girl which is easier to find in thailand but from what i have seen it is generally not worth the hassle and expense. good luck selling your house. not sure how you will go about it with your girl living in it but you may have to cut your losses and dump it. probably best to accept anything you get for it is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You have hit on what I consider the most important issue, mobility. I know far too many who have buried themselves here with property and businesses the  costs of which they can only hope to recover if they want to leave.

As far as swissie's criteria list:  

Political stability--well several juntas and martial law changes later, still stable
Infrastructure (including health services)--admittedly, pretty good
Climate--not impressed, plenty of other places; I am from Florida
Personal safety--not so safe here; been robbed, threatened with a gun, run-off the road
Visa situation--pretty dismal, there are many places where it is far simpler
Cost of living--comparable to many others

It seems infrastructure is the only sure positive--for the old codgers, this may be most important

So, I think it depends upon you, what you want.

after 10 years of living in thailand i have never felt unsafe.  the visa situation is very good for over 50 year olds. the climate is good as i like it warm. thailand stacks up pretty well. the major down side i see is keeping occupied. i see people doing silly things like opening bars because they are bored.

after 10 years of living in thailand i have never felt unsafe.  the visa situation is very good for over 50 year olds. the climate is good as i like it warm. thailand stacks up pretty well. the major down side i see is keeping occupied. i see people doing silly things like opening bars because they are bored.

I too have lived here 10 years, been visiting for 50 years, so am also over 50. I think the visa situation sucks--continually changing with more hoops through which to jump. Warm is normal in many countries. I have no problem keeping occupied. And, I have been lied to, cheated on and treated like dirt--and robbed, threatened, and endangered. 

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

I too have lived here 10 years, been visiting for 50 years, so am also over 50. I think the visa situation sucks--continually changing with more hoops through which to jump. Warm is normal in many countries. I have no problem keeping occupied. And, I have been lied to, cheated on and treated like dirt--and robbed, threatened, and endangered. 

what part did you live in? i was on samui for a year before doing 9 years in pattaya. i never had any safety issues. i found after a while i did not mix with thais any more. it was not a conscious decision, it just ended up that way. only problems i had were run of the mill issues with owning property and a business. i stayed single up to the point of getting DNA results for my son. think being single generally means having a better life in thailand.

what part did you live in? i was on samui for a year before doing 9 years in pattaya. i never had any safety issues. i found after a while i did not mix with thais any more. it was not a conscious decision, it just ended up that way. only problems i had were run of the mill issues with owning property and a business. i stayed single up to the point of getting DNA results for my son. think being single generally means having a better life in thailand.

I too have been to Samui and Pattaya, but try to stay away from the tourist areas to live.  I like to mingle with the locals; have some good friends here. I am married, but not to a Thai; I think that may affect the opinions many Thais have of us versus farangs married to Thai women.

It seems to me there is a big difference in contentment between people who choose to live in Pattaya and people who live upcountry. It is easy to imagine a strain on relationships when you live in Pattaya... I understand the illusion of ownership that appeals until you want to sell, and the excitement that would surely wane with the years... 

Living upcountry you are more immersed in the gentleness of the culture. I knew when I built my home that it was a gift to my wife and never considered it otherwise. 

But when people voice complaints about living in Thailand, I often wonder where they are located, as in my opinion, Pattaya barely resembles Thailand and also their economic situation. Surely, I sympathize with those who feel trapped here, but wouldn't they be economically trapped anywhere? 

So, OP,  yes, I agree that most people are better off here, and often times, if they suffer mistakes, it is of their own doing. 

10 hours ago, swissie said:

For me, Thailand came up first. 

Me too,  my 2 bahts worth.

1. Political stability - ...Yeah not bothered much, better with Army in charge though IMO.
2. Infrastructure.- ...OK but too much going on at the same time.

3. Health services -... Excellent Gov hospital where l live,   have Thai health insurance now too. 
4. Climate - ...OK a bit hot this time of year but l've acclimatized fairly well,  don't like the cold and damp.
5. Personal safety - ...Never felt threatened here seen enough in other countries worse.
6. Visa situation -..Maesot was always OK but the journey could be a pain but immigration 15 mins away now.
7. Cost of living - ..Fraction of what it was in UK for me even 12 years on.

I presume you have checked the International Living site?   If so, this link is redundant, 

https://internationalliving.com/countries/nicaragua/retire-in-nicaragua/

Central America does seem to offer some options though, and of course there are Spain and Portugal??

Does the cost of living have to be the same or less than Thailand, or can you up your budget, and still have enough dosh?

Good luck

Edited by F4UCorsair

For me, the biggest obstacle to retiring to Thailand is the 60 hour round trip to visit family back home.  (Or having them come visit me in a tropical haven)

Having spent the past 30+ years as a corporate gypsy, I've gotten accustomed to renting instead of owning simply because the cost of selling exceeds the benefits of owning if it's only for a few years.  Once the emotional stigma of renting was no longer an issue, the benefits of renting really shine through for me.

Every place I've ever lived had its goods and bads, and my attitude was usually the difference between whether I enjoyed living there or not.  There's a few places I wouldn't want to go back to, and a short list of places I'd settle down even if it wasn't contingent on a paycheck being mailed to me.  Thailand would be okay, but I'd definitely move from downtown BKK, where I've lived for 6 years just to be close to the office,  If only it wasn't 30+ hours and $1000-2000 away from family.

36 minutes ago, smotherb said:

what visa hoops pray tell? 800k in the bank 15 years ago, 800k now. no change at all.

Sorry when it is over 90 degrees at 6pm, that is not good climate....

thailand is fine part time but needs to be integrated with civilized living during a part of the year....

air BNBs are now a great option to stay in a western country on a short term rental...or buy a townhouse in one's desired country and do a combo living there/BNB rental...

Just now, cardinalblue said:

Sorry when it is over 90 degrees at 6pm, that is not good climate....

thailand is fine part time but needs to be integrated with civilized living during a part of the year....

air BNBs are now a great option to stay in a western country on a short term rental...or buy a townhouse in one's desired country and do a combo living there/BNB rental...

You live in an oven?  No human can live in 90 degree heat.

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Political stability
- Infrastructure (including health services)
- Climate
- Personal safety
- Visa situation
- Cost of living

Probably agree on number 5...just got back from a stay in Malaysia had not been there for 8 years and was quite surprised to find it cheaper in many things--I know the ringget has done a dive-- (I stayed at a well known hotel group which have hotels in BKK they are more expensive in BKK then KL) most clothing was cheaper & sizing is correct. Big discounts at a lot of places for pensioners including travel--some free- (they dont even ask for proof a lot of the times) 1/

All in all Malaysia quite nice, but being Mainly Muslim--its not exactly a party place.

I dont know why people complain about Visas in Thailand (if you are over 50) ---what is the problem--90 days is now done on line--if you dont have the initial funds for the 1 year then go to an agent, I have friends that do---(not allowed to expand on that are we) --so how many hoops is that to jump through ?

Infrastructure  in Thailand is very good for Asia---I mean you have to travel Asia to realise this, there are places like Pakistan --India that send a rocket to Mars, have nuclear weapons but not even a system for their people to get around no underground no BTS roads and train service do not even meet up with anything Thailand has.

I now live in Issan so the climate can be a bit harsh in the hottest months.

Personal safety---maybe because I live in Issan it doesn't seem to be an issue--I can think of a lot of resentment that people in other countries would have if a surge of richer people came in started taking the female population with the $$$ attraction....(it happen in the UK in the war years with the Americans)

My biggest draw back in Thailand is the language---especially now I live rural, I understand that's more my fault then theirs, but it just seems that if I was speaking to a Russian/German in Australia and he had very limited English we would work out roughly what his needs were.... OK my tone is wrong when I ask for something --but most Thais do not seem to try---my wife comes up and says what to me sounds the same and gets it----so I could not be that far off

1/

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/money/2014/04/14/save-more-with-senior-citizen-discounts/

12 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

You live in an oven?  No human can live in 90 degree heat.

Farenheit, not Celsius!!   90F = ~ 32C.    

That's way too hot for me ongoing.   I can take a bit of it, but not day in , day out.

I agree that climate is a predominant factor in choice of place.

Has the OP considered Baguio in the Philippines, apparently lot of expats, and a very nice climate.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I like Thailand and humidity gets bad sometimes but I don't like cold back home. If I could I would move to Spain. Lived there for year when I was working. But exchange rate then was bad and thailand exchange rate isnt getting better either.