Dwindling Options

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think it was AARP that recommend a town in Panama as its #1 choice. So, went to check it out.  No way. Middle of nowhere. Dog poop on the sidewalks.  Only one small grocery store.  We planned to spend a few days there,  but got back on a bus and left.  Panama city has many issues also. 

JT will probably be by shortly. I think he was looking at Ecuador. My recommendation is to go check the place out. Nothing like experiencing it first hand. Preferably as an expat. Things change considerably when you live somewhere full time versus just a week or so. 

I've been to 92 countries so far.  Still haven't found the perfect one! 5555. In Malta tomorrow,  but it's not an option now due to visa changes.

Tenerife.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Have you checked out Spain? What did you think (briefly)?

We love Spain. Not sure I'd want to live there permanently. But for short stints,  it's lovely.  Same with Portugal. 

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

That website is pretty biased towards places they sell property. Some fair info if you understand what they are pushing. But I wouldn't rely on it.

We were in Nicaragua several years ago. It's a no go for many reasons.

For me,  I'm getting tired of the hot weather. Thailand is fantastic from November or so until the end of March or so. We're back to leaving for around 4 months every year. No place in particular. Currently in Cyprus and it is lovely. Restaurants galore, cheap wine and beer and groceries.  great deals via  AirBnB. Very good public transport also. Wouldn't want to live here full time,  but for a bit,  it's  great . Lovely places to walk also!

Interesting thread.

Do you just close up your house for the time away or do you have anybody looking after it?

9 minutes ago, topt said:

Do you just close up your house for the time away or do you have anybody looking after it?

We have people who live there while we are away. Not cheap,  but everything is in good order when we get back. 

A friend use to close up his condo for 6 months.  He said it was tough due to mold, etc. No easy answers. Unless you have a lot of money! 

Edited by craigt3365

Thailand has changed so much in the last 20 years....I find myself spending more of my out of country time in Costa Rica but still stay several months a year in Pattaya. There are so many condos for rent, (very reasonable) I will never buy there again. 

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

We have people who live there while we are away. Not cheap,  but everything is in good order when we get back. 

A friend use to close up his condo for 6 months.  He said it was tough due to mold, etc. No easy answers. Unless you have a lot of money! 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

It seems to me there is a big difference in contentment between people who choose to live in Pattaya and people who live upcountry. It is easy to imagine a strain on relationships when you live in Pattaya... I understand the illusion of ownership that appeals until you want to sell, and the excitement that would surely wane with the years... 

Living upcountry you are more immersed in the gentleness of the culture. I knew when I built my home that it was a gift to my wife and never considered it otherwise. 

But when people voice complaints about living in Thailand, I often wonder where they are located, as in my opinion, Pattaya barely resembles Thailand and also their economic situation. Surely, I sympathize with those who feel trapped here, but wouldn't they be economically trapped anywhere? 

So, OP,  yes, I agree that most people are better off here, and often times, if they suffer mistakes, it is of their own doing. 

I am like you Ken. I have been in and out of Thailand working, relaxing and retired since 1993.

I don' own a condo nor a house. The house and 25 rai of land are in my wife's name and were a gift from me to her and I have no interest in owning either. I will be 73 this month and when I die if I did own it it would go to my wife and son anyway.

I finally retired to Thailand 8 years ago and have no desire to live anywhere else in the world. Even after the currency drop last year we still live comfortably though Chivas Regal and T bone steaks are not on the daily menu any more.

I get my exercise most days by cutting the grass around the house and my wife's old shop, plus I also do my neighbours grass cutting too, but only for an hour a day as it is too hot.

I bake my own bread, make a lot of western food for myself.

I read a lot.

I sometimes wish I could find the time to be bored but I have too many other positive things to do with my life and I gladly take every day that I get to me with my wife and 12 year old son.

I certainly wouldn't swap it for living in a rented place in 2 o3 different countries.

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am like you Ken. I have been in and out of Thailand working, relaxing and retired since 1993.

I don' own a condo nor a house. The house and 25 rai of land are in my wife's name and were a gift from me to her and I have no interest in owning either. I will be 73 this month and when I die if I did own it it would go to my wife and son anyway.

I finally retired to Thailand 8 years ago and have no desire to live anywhere else in the world. Even after the currency drop last year we still live comfortably though Chivas Regal and T bone steaks are not on the daily menu any more.

I get my exercise most days by cutting the grass around the house and my wife's old shop, plus I also do my neighbours grass cutting too, but only for an hour a day as it is too hot.

I bake my own bread, make a lot of western food for myself.

I read a lot.

I sometimes wish I could find the time to be bored but I have too many other positive things to do with my life and I gladly take every day that I get to me with my wife and 12 year old son.

I certainly wouldn't swap it for living in a rented place in 2 o3 different countries.

Where do you live?

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Sorry when it is over 90 degrees at 6pm, that is not good climate....

thailand is fine part time but needs to be integrated with civilized living during a part of the year....

air BNBs are now a great option to stay in a western country on a short term rental...or buy a townhouse in one's desired country and do a combo living there/BNB rental...

Back in Texas, I remember it being 101 at 10 pm. 90 degrees is like a dip in a cool spring.

It's not difficult living in Thailand, provided one exercises some common sense, e.g.

Defensive driving

Rent, don't own

Keep most assets in the home country

Stay cool, avoid aggressive behavior in yourself and others. Nobody gets hurt being polite.

Pay agents for the bureaucratic crap

Learn enough Thai to communicate effectively

I've lived here 8 years now. I've never been robbed or threatened. I've had a couple of small scams which amused me more than annoyed me.

I can live here quite well off investment income without eroding my capital base. Couldn't do it in the UK, USA , Australia or New Zealand.

9 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

It's not difficult living in Thailand, provided one exercises some common sense, e.g.

Defensive driving

Rent, don't own

Keep most assets in the home country

Stay cool, avoid aggressive behavior in yourself and others. Nobody gets hurt being polite.

Pay agents for the bureaucratic crap

Learn enough Thai to communicate effectively

I've lived here 8 years now. I've never been robbed or threatened. I've had a couple of small scams which amused me more than annoyed me.

I can live here quite well off investment income without eroding my capital base. Couldn't do it in the UK, USA , Australia or New Zealand.

Best advice is number 5.  If you don't do number 5, you won't be here long enough to do the rest.

This is a good subject.  I live and work in Thailand for about 4 1/2 years and was transferred here from Singapore by my company.  I liked Singapore after living there for 25 years.  I did not always like it, it took many years to figure out how to like living there.  The biggest downside for me there was the cost of living well.  The biggest downside here in Thailand is my Filipino wife's jealousy issues about imaginary Thai girls that seem to be meeting me at doctor appointments or meetings with clients in Bangkok, none of which I have yet to actually meet!  And I do mean the Thai girls!

And after almost 30 years in South East Asia, I miss the seasons. There is almost a fall and spring for about a week or 2 in Pattaya most Decembers or there about, this 36 degree temp though gets old fast for me! Perhaps if I could open a branch office on the top of Khao Yai I might like it better! 

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:
7 hours ago, helloagain said:

For the initial writer of this post it would help to know what is your country. Then we can offer help

My guess is that Swissie isn't from Canada, but that's just me, and I've been wrong before.

i think Swissie is from Papua New Guinea.

Spent time in Nicaragua. Can be dangerous in the capital Managua in some areas at night. Most people opt for the coast. Personally I like Omatepe, the island in Lake Nicaragua. Very peaceful, and you can be on the mainland in Granada in an hour.

But second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti being first which says it all. Friend currently living in Ecuador because he has a year ban here from four day overstay. But Spanish is his first language, so not difficult for him. 

I liked Portugal very much, but I was just a tourist. If I had to leave here I would opt for Vietnam. Loved Hue and Hanoi, but friend said it can be gray a lot of the time. So might as well live in England. Personally I live on a quiet beach in Phuket, and I find it very much like Hawaii which would be my first choice.....but for the prices, a lot of stuff is imported there.  You also have to fly for at least five hours to reach the mainland which is a pretty long time in my opinion even if you just went for a short visit. When I worked at Club Med there I asked a Hawaiian women if she had been to the mainland.....and she said, "Why would I go there?" Good point.

I think like water we find our own level that works for us in whatever country we decide to call home.

5 hours ago, impulse said:
5 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Thailand is hard to beat for the money. 

True, but that differential seems to be eroding away as globalization equalizes the cost of lots of things that used to have no export market.

as far as i am concerned no income/capital gains tax generated by investments abroad compensates ANY cost increase due to globalisation. of course that does not apply to IRS slaves.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:
4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Tenerife.

Need to check it out!  A friend also raved about the Canary islands?

income tax and expensive property :angry:

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

as far as i am concerned no income/capital gains tax generated by investments abroad compensates ANY cost increase due to globalisation. of course that does not apply to IRS slaves.

Now you're just being mean...

5 hours ago, sgracer said:

biggest downsides to thailand are the heat (I don't mean march - may either) and the carnage on the roads.

The thing about the heat which has started to worry me is the impact it has on being able to stay physically active and on sleeping soundly. I recently spent a month in Lyon, France. I took long long walks and hikes every day in wonderful 60 degree weather, something that's pretty challenging in 90 degree weather.

9 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

think the key to enjoying thailand is not spending the whole year there and not getting trapped there. i wanted to leave for a while but owned a house in pattaya that took years to sell. i started to get bitter. i will move back to thailand in the future but will stay mobile. i will just rent a condo and not work.  thailand is still my preferred choice of country to live for most of the year. i did a trip to cambodia last year and it would probably be a distant second best place to live. always interesting to hear from people who have tried or who are living some where else after leaving thailand.

Cambodia, distant second best.............Okay I'm down with that, but when I am in Cambodia I sleep with one eye open.  I feel much safer in Vietnam.   :sorry:  I lived in Cambodia for 2 years  working there, always seemed to be looking over my shoulder, something about the Khmer I just don't trust, but that's just me.  I currently spend six months a year between Vietnam and Thailand.

On 2017/5/3 at 6:28 PM, BigKahuna said:

Another option is build a base in Malaysia which has better visa free options then hop over to Thailand for 30 days every couple of months.

Yes, it's a good idea because malaysia cost of living is almost the same as Thailand, in fact some things are better quality and value than Thailand. Mcdonald is cheaper for a start though I don't eat those craps. You will not get problem with rental long terms because all the rent contract are in English language and real estate agent is strictly control by laws not like in Thailand. Malaysia and Singapore house owner don't try to rip you off because it's risky, generally they follow the contract terms and conditions.

6 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Cambodia, distant second best.............Okay I'm down with that, but when I am in Cambodia I sleep with one eye open.  I feel much safer in Vietnam.   :sorry:  I lived in Cambodia for 2 years  working there, always seemed to be looking over my shoulder, something about the Khmer I just don't trust, but that's just me.  I currently spend six months a year between Vietnam and Thailand.

i have only spent a week in vietnam and i have to say i had a pretty good time. it is certainly another good option but i am not sure how visas work there. one thing that put me off was trying to bring a girl back to the hotel required the hotel owner to go register it with the cops. i am gun shy of anything to do with cops in asia. ended up renting 2 rooms in a different hotel. one for me and one for her. nice to soil one set of sheets and sleep in another room with clean sheets.