Young inventors win with 'Clean Boat'

Young inventors win with 'Clean Boat'
By The Nation

a9ba1d888d79236b4883847522fbc12a.jpeg

The winning team from Suankularb Wittayalai Nonthaburi School invented a Clean Fuel Energy Boat for water conservation in the Thailand Junior Water Prize 2017.

BANGKOK: -- WHIZ KIDS have come up with a number of clever inventions for water conservation at the Thailand Junior Water Prize 2017 contest.

The Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST) has organised the annual competition since 2011 with the aim of encouraging young people to conduct research and apply their findings in practice.

“We focus on water conservation because a water crisis is imminent. It is important that we save and conserve water. We must seriously raise such awareness among youths too,” IPST chairman Assoc Prof Tatchai Sumitra said.

This year’s top prize went to a team from Suankularb Wittayalai Nonthaburi School, who created a Clean Fuel Energy Boat.

The invention dreamed up by the team of Piranat Meechai, Paramet Mahasakpitak and Napat Yodrak serves as a boat to dispose of waste floating on the water surface and to test water quality. Fitted with special equipment, it can automatically make visual recordings upon detecting any irregularity in water sources and send data to relevant officials. The smart boat uses only green energy, including solar power and hydro power.

The winning team will travel to Sweden, all expenses paid, to attend the Stockholm Junior Water Prize 2017 event in the capital.

The first runner-up in the contest was a team from Suratpittaya School –Chidchanok Inkaew, Pattadon Namwongwao and Kasidej Sukkwai – who worked together in developing an innovation for cultivating mangrove forests.

Their cone-shaped device significantly boosted the germination rate of mangrove seeds. The invention was awarded second prize because mangrove trees are key parts of mangrove forests, which protect water resources.

The second runner-up team hailed from Chachoengsao. Thirapat Tiangkool, Nopparat Phu-oun and Kobkiat Ounkaew from Phanom Sarakham Phanom Adulwittaya School developed a coconut-shell innovation to shield plants from direct exposure to the sun, reducing water usage at farms by more than half.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314516

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-08

it can automatically make visual recordings upon detecting any irregularity in water sources and send data to relevant officials. The smart boat uses only green energy, including solar power and hydro power.

We don't need an automatic boat to tell us the rivers/sea's are full of plastic soup. Just build a boat who cleans it, don't need to go to Sweden to tell them you built a boat with some sensors on green energy. The Thai think we don't have green energy in W-Europe??

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

it can automatically make visual recordings upon detecting any irregularity in water sources and send data to relevant officials. The smart boat uses only green energy, including solar power and hydro power.

We don't need an automatic boat to tell us the rivers/sea's are full of plastic soup. Just build a boat who cleans it, don't need to go to Sweden to tell them you built a boat with some sensors on green energy. The Thai think we don't have green energy in W-Europe??

I suggest you read the actual article before going on the usual Thai bashing bs - "serves as a boat to dispose of waste floating on the water surface..."

I mean god forbid you actually say something positive about some kids doing a really great project and applying themselves to problem solving. 

54 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I suggest you read the actual article before going on the usual Thai bashing bs - "serves as a boat to dispose of waste floating on the water surface..."

I mean god forbid you actually say something positive about some kids doing a really great project and applying themselves to problem solving. 

Well good reporters would have showed us their boat so we can see what they developed.

I don't have high hopes though, in BKK they still sweep the roads by hand while they do have sweeptrucks around. And there's still loads of sand on the roads.

Waste disposal boats is nothing new nor special so the real invention has to be in using smart ways to scoop it out of the water and getting rid of it. Probably they will just burn it and it would be fun to hear them telling that to a person from Sweden.:partytime2:

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

They are just kids who zero in on a problem. Give em time. It took me years after retirement to figure out how the government was screwing me most of my life and ditto for governments around the world. Give the kid a shot at life his next project may be a plastic bag sweeper. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Well good reporters would have showed us their boat so we can see what they developed.

I don't have high hopes though, in BKK they still sweep the roads by hand while they do have sweeptrucks around. And there's still loads of sand on the roads.

Waste disposal boats is nothing new nor special so the real invention has to be in using smart ways to scoop it out of the water and getting rid of it. Probably they will just burn it and it would be fun to hear them telling that to a person from Sweden.:partytime2:

It's a freaking science project from school kids! I If only they would listen to you, hey?