Rain-making operation ordered to ease impacts from freak storms

webfact

Rain-making operation ordered to ease impacts from freak storms

IMG_1284.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Artificial rain-making units in the North have been instructed by the Agriculture Minister Chatchai Sarikalya to help ease impacts from freak storms which have caused extensive damages to many residents in the past several days.

Mr Surasee Kittimongthon, director-general of Royal Rain-making Department, said on Sunday that the agriculture minister was very concerned with residents in the northern provinces from impacts caused by freak storms, especially hailstorms.

He said that rain-making operation on Saturday in Samoeng and Mae Chaem districts of Chiang Mai was successful in curbing hailstorms which usually come with freak storms.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rain-making-operation-ordered-ease-impacts-freak-storms/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-08

"He said that rain-making operation on Saturday in Samoeng and Mae Chaem districts of Chiang Mai was successful in curbing hailstorms which usually come with freak storms."

Difficult to prove a negative isn't it? Now if they were 100% sure hailstorms were avoided......maybe the jail just didn't fall where they were looking.

I don't believe anything what they are saying. How do they know that on Saturday should've been hail and thanks to them there was no hail. Usually after heavy storms with hail there is a break in vertical cloud formation. Maybe on Saturday the vertical cloud formation was less severe. I'm quite skeptical with these rain making units.

1 hour ago, Thunder26 said:

I don't believe anything what they are saying. How do they know that on Saturday should've been hail and thanks to them there was no hail. Usually after heavy storms with hail there is a break in vertical cloud formation. Maybe on Saturday the vertical cloud formation was less severe. I'm quite skeptical with these rain making units.

If Mr Surasee Kittimongthon, director-general of Royal Rain-making Department, says the hailstones were curbed, consider them curbed.  TiT

J.T. Steiner of the New Zealand Meteorological Service concluded in Weather and Climate (1988), 'Can We Reduce the Hail Problem' that "carefully designed scientific experiments have not demonstrated any reduction of hail resulting from cloud seeding. .... There is no method capable of totaling suppressing hail.' A notable observation was that decisions on undertaking weather modification activities are not necessarily made by scientists. Studies did not consider Thailand hail prevention using cloud seeding data. So maybe Thailand's efforts are "unique."

1988_hail_study_steiner.pdf

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

J.T. Steiner of the New Zealand Meteorological Service concluded in Weather and Climate (1988), 'Can We Reduce the Hail Problem' that "carefully designed scientific experiments have not demonstrated any reduction of hail resulting from cloud seeding. .... There is no method capable of totaling suppressing hail.' A notable observation was that decisions on undertaking weather modification activities are not necessarily made by scientists. Studies did not consider Thailand hail prevention using cloud seeding data. So maybe Thailand's efforts are "unique."

1988_hail_study_steiner.pdf

Are you saying they are conning us? How terrible. Who can you believe in anymore. 

For a start these storms are not "freak" in any way shape or form, though varying in intensity at times.

Just normal rainy season storms caused by the very hot  sun which makes the ground  heat up intensively and this heats the air, which then rises and forms Cumulonimbus clouds [thunderstorm causing].

Hail can develop, but not always, it depends on a few inputs ,one of which is the vertical formation of the clouds creating updrafts which  depending on strength  can carry droplets of water higher and higher until they freeze and small hail is formed  and if the updrafts continue this hail picks up more and more layers of water which freezes and enlarges the hailstone until the point where gravity wins and the hail falls to ground.

No way that is logical ,can seeding the clouds alter this natural occurrence .

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

If Mr Surasee Kittimongthon, director-general of Royal Rain-making Department, says the hailstones were curbed, consider them curbed.  TiT

UUUUUU NOOOOO UNNNEERRRSTAAAAN THAI PEE POLE........:wai:

Isn't that like the practice of starting "backfires" to avoid fires from other sources in a National forest

it may work, but it seems better to avoid the whole process in the first place, if possible.

Hail usually results from violent wind updrafts that carry water droplets up tp altitudes where they freeze to ice crystals and fall as hail.

I suppose there could be some value at preventing thunderstorms  from getting to that violent updraft state, but I'm not sure the idea is really practical.

Nobody believes me, but I have been driving in golf ball size hail stones in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Man proposes, God disposes as the saying goes.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Isn't that like the practice of starting "backfires" to avoid fires from other sources in a National forest

it may work, but it seems better to avoid the whole process in the first place, if possible.

Hail usually results from violent wind updrafts that carry water droplets up tp altitudes where they freeze to ice crystals and fall as hail.

I suppose there could be some value at preventing thunderstorms  from getting to that violent updraft state, but I'm not sure the idea is really practical.

Nobody believes me, but I have been driving in golf ball size hail stones in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Man proposes, God disposes as the saying goes.

Back burning is a very sensible option in my country Australia.As a former volunteer bush fireman we used it to snuff out fires that were burning towards us.

Fires start for a variety of reasons some deliberately lit ,lightening strikes ,wayward cigarette butts being tossed out of vehicles etc etc.

I have never bought into rain making procedures.I remember some time ago planes taking off to do cloud seeding when there was not a cloud to be seen.

As for preventing hail...I can only say "youre dreaming"  Dumping loads of chemicals into the air for me is not a good idea.