Watch Repair?

Rasseru

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a shop or person in Chiangmai for having old mechanical watches repaired.

You could try the big clock / watch shop a few doors west of the Bangkok Bank on Thapae Road. (between the BB and Kamphaengdin and probably closer to the pharmacy on the corner)

They had 3 - 4 "watchmakers" there when I got a new battery fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Rasseru, I had a Tag fixed in the place mentioned by JBG last time home and used the last one as you walk with the traffic. They have a circular desk at the front that sells straps and sunglasses and the watchmaker is just inside the door and was astounded when I was given a 1 year written guarantee!!

Needless to say the shop is recommended.

For the record, meaning for the benefit of anyone who comes along later and finds this thread by searching for "watch repair" or the like, I took my watch to be repaired at the last place mentioned, and was more than satisfied.

also there is a watch repair person within robinson's at central airport. very professional and cheap. its at the watch selling dept. just ask for the watch repair and they would lead you to his booth. had mine repaired within 15 minutes for 500 baht. cracked glass on the watch.

easy while you do your shopping.

The place mentioned above, about two doors towards Nawarat Bridge from the AIS offices, is certified to repair Rolex and most big Swiss watch brands. (I think the only place in Chiang Mai so certified.) They are more expensive than the little watchmenders' stalls scattered around, and probably not the right place to go for a new battery for your Night Bizarre or Patpong "Lolek", but can't be beaten for repairs to the genuine article. The opticians in the same shop are among the best in town too.

> There is a FEw watch shop along the ROAD Toward RAjaPhet UNI ..

Just before the juction of the Chang puek Bus station . near the White Elephant .

. Should not be hard to spot ..

i see alot of brand watched sticker around ..

What the brand . Unless if you are having a Patek or a WTC . i think there can handle it well.

if you just want to repair a copy . then any shop will do whhaha

to think of it .. my family believe that SEIKO 5 is a good watch .

• 2 months later...

I want to add three more endorsements of the watch repair shop on Thapae Road that was first recommended on this thread by john b good and recommended again later by p1p.

First, in addition to their having done a great job repairing my watch, the fact that they were able to repair it at all was particularly impressive in that the watch was an unusual and very old Tiffany pocket watch.

Second, they do excellent repair work on glasses too. Earlier this week I broke one of the temples (or side pieces) of my wire-framed glasses, snapping off what is a very thin piece right at the hinge. I went back to the same shop to find out whether they could replace the temple. They told me they did not have the part and did not think they could get one, but volunteered that they could try to repair it. They made it clear that it was an iffy proposition and they could not guaranty success -- which surprised me far less than their thinking it even worth trying -- but they said they would give it a go and I could come back in two days to find out how they had managed. Well, lo and behold -- or should that be lo and beheld? -- I went back yesterday to find that they had succeeded marvellously well in what was obviously a very difficult and painstaking welding job. And for which they charged me all of 150 baht.

Third, they are really lovely people. That said, however, the longer I live in Chiangmai, which I have done now for only a little over seven months, the more my experience teaches me that it is far harder to find people here who are not lovely than otherwise, so this last endorsement may not be a particularly powerful one.