And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

He has a point though, doesn't he. You claimed to be virtually destitute, but not too long ago bought a car for nearly a mil and admit you can afford the financial requirements to get your family to the UK later, which as you said ain't cheap. So you're not really skint at all, are you.

How does one describe the word skint. To you, you may be skint when you are down to your last couple of satang, to others it may mean down to the last million baht, but whichever, the decision has to be made to pull up anchor whilst you can still survive and have the cash to do so.

Mobi did not say he bought a 1m baht car, he said he had one that he now needs to sell on, what he does with his money is of no concern to you or others, the fact remains, he was reliable enough to have sufficient to cover his expenses to return to his home country and cover his family, and I consider that as noble.

if you trawl through through TV and, take the time to read his posts on his efforts to save a bar on the dark side. It may open your eyes on  the realities of life NOW  in Thailand  as compared to many years ago. Which most of you self confessed experts have no idea of .

please read, take in, understand and acknowledge what the experienced and very  articulate likes of Mobi put in writing ..... It may benefit you all.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DipStick said:

How does one describe the word skint. To you, you may be skint when you are down to your last couple of satang, to others it may mean down to the last million baht, but whichever, the decision has to be made to pull up anchor whilst you can still survive and have the cash to do so.

Mobi did not say he bought a 1m baht car, he said he had one that he now needs to sell on, what he does with his money is of no concern to you or others, the fact remains, he was reliable enough to have sufficient to cover his expenses to return to his home country and cover his family, and I consider that as noble.

if you trawl through through TV and, take the time to read his posts on his efforts to save a bar on the dark side. It may open your eyes on  the realities of life NOW  in Thailand  as compared to many years ago. Which most of you self confessed experts have no idea of .

please read, take in, understand and acknowledge what the experienced and very  articulate likes of Mobi put in writing ..... It may benefit you all.

Haha! Good rant and good effort. Skint means skint, end of story. And yes he DID say he bought the car. Bottom line, he is pleading poverty but he's NOT on the poverty line. Spin it how you want.

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Haha! Good rant and good effort. Skint means skint, end of story. And yes he DID say he bought the car. Bottom line, he is pleading poverty but he's NOT on the poverty line. Spin it how you want.

No, not end of story. He didn't plead absolute poverty but he gave the big financial reason in a later post:

But the truth is I'm only one major operation away from total impoverishment, and the only sensible course of action is to return to the UK, where I can receive free health care, get an enhanced pension (frozen for six years) and all manner of other benefits that people of my age are entitled to.

So that's not necessarily so skint. That implies a million baht in the bank besides the 400K needed for the marriage extension. But as he suggests, one major op would use up that 1M or more, leaving little with which to relocate afterwards or afford another major op--even if he sold the car.

But he also said it was about more than just money. It was also about the old whither Thailand space monkeys that plague so many of our hapless members and cause them rant until they finally to lose the will to live: little doubt that the country is slowly but surely slipping into some kind of limbo-abyss, while the neighbouring countries – Vietnam, Malaysia, Burma and even poor little Cambodia – are going in the opposite direction.

Finally, and not coincidentally, Mobi also suffered from paranoia so severe as to suggest the possible onset of frontotemporal dementia: We are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed with few or no repercussions.  These days, we farangs are all "fair game", and are pretty much defenceless in the face of a totally corrupt system that's skewed against us. Return to Blighty was indeed the best hope of finding relief and suitable treatment from NHS as needed.

So it all seems quite rational of Mobi and our part is merely to wish him well.

Edited by JSixpack

7 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, not end of story. He didn't plead absolute poverty but he gave the big financial reason in a later post:

But the truth is I'm only one major operation away from total impoverishment, and the only sensible course of action is to return to the UK, where I can receive free health care, get an enhanced pension (frozen for six years) and all manner of other benefits that people of my age are entitled to.

So that's not necessarily so skint. That implies a million baht in the bank besides the 400K needed for the marriage extension. But as he suggests, one major op would use up that 1M or more, leaving little with which to relocate afterwards or afford another major op--even if he sold the car.

But he also said it was about more than just money. It was also about the old whither Thailand space monkeys that plague so many of our hapless members and cause them rant until they finally to lose the will to live: little doubt that the country is slowly but surely slipping into some kind of limbo-abyss, while the neighbouring countries – Vietnam, Malaysia, Burma and even poor little Cambodia – are going in the opposite direction.

Finally, and not coincidentally, Mobi also suffered from paranoia so severe as to suggest the possible onset of frontotemporal dementia: We are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed with few or no repercussions.  These days, we farangs are all "fair game", and are pretty much defenceless in the face of a totally corrupt system that's skewed against us. Return to Blighty was indeed the best hope of finding relief and suitable treatment from NHS as needed.

Decent argument, but if you are close to skint, or in his mind close to skint, and at 73 years of age and no idea where your next penny is coming from and knowing that one major op leaves you penniless, you DO NOT wake up one day and think 'you know what, I'll go and spend a million baht on a car' Not a chance.

Btw, I know Mobi, good bloke and I do wish him well.

8 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Decent argument, but if you are close to skint, or in his mind close to skint, and at 73 years of age and no idea where your next penny is coming from and knowing that one major op leaves you penniless, you DO NOT wake up one day and think 'you know what, I'll go and spend a million baht on a car' Not a chance.

Btw, I know Mobi, good bloke and I do wish him well.

Did he say when he bought the car? Could it have been prior to 2013 when the pyramid scheme collapsed?

On 5/19/2017 at 9:26 AM, tazly said:

How do you know that the previous wives did not have the issues.  Also, lots of peopple have financial problems but do not need counselling.

What does your "virile" in the 60s point have to do with anything....are you having doubts?

Who cares how many wives he has had? In Thailand you can get away with it. Back home, you would have to be very rich. Up to him.

16 hours ago, JSixpack said:

While I may be way off on this, and Mobi may have contributed much money to the British government in the past, seems a bit rich to go back to Britain just to obtain a free operation that would have cost a million or so baht if one didn't want to live there in the first place.

The NHS is broken for a number of reasons, one of which is having to give free treatment to people that contributed nothing. I had to assist with operations for many such people, much to my disgust.

Again, Mobi may have paid a lot of tax in the past- I don't know if so or not.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I may be way off on this, and Mobi may have contributed much money to the British government in the past, seems a bit rich to go back to Britain just to obtain a free operation that would have cost a million or so baht if one didn't want to live there in the first place.

Mobi had the valve replacement done here in BPH... i think.

Edited by Naam

The NHS is broken for a number of reasons, one of which is having to give free treatment to people that contributed nothing. I had to assist with operations for many such people, much to my disgust.
Again, Mobi may have paid a lot of tax in the past- I don't know if so or not.

He's 71, so he paid in for 40 years and has not been using it for the last 30 years.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:40 PM, Mobi said:

Thailand is no longer a great place for foreigners to live. We are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed with few or no repercussions.  These days, we farangs are all "fair game", and are pretty much defenceless in the face of a totally corrupt system that's skewed against us.

Sorry, I know many love him but his is why Mobi's mental state is questionable.  Probably some of you believe this, but come on. His quote "we are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed"...  OFTEN, seriously??  Maybe some on here actually believe this based upon your paranoid/negative posts.  

Farangs Defenseless in this corrupt place??  

Have any of you read up on the LM scam?  Check it out some telling/obvious signs of the demise of that fund.  Madoff type greed hoping for an unreasonable pay day.

I suggested before he get some therapy.  I was serious.  He should get help so he can try to live out the remainder of his life in some sort of normalcy.  I hope he seeks some help soon,  I think his current situation may create a lot of stress.  I assume he can get therapy in his home country now for free, go for it.  I hope he does and at some point in the future, he reports back on here and tells us he is doing well.   God bless you Modi.

Edited by bkk6060

Hmm… just a few random points…

1.    I never claimed I was skint – read my posts – I simply don't have enough money remain in Thailand and take care of my family.

2.    I don't believe I am paranoid about the eroding situation in Thailand, although I personally have never, ever, had one moment of trouble from Thais, or anyone else for that matter. Nevertheless, Thailand certainly isn't the same place it was, and IMHO the writing is on the wall. We shall see.

3.    As for freeloading on the British government… well, let me see… the last year I worked was 1999/200, and for that tax year I paid £75,886 in tax; the following year, although I was retired, I was still on the payroll and paid £132,864  in tax. In 2002 I paid £67,561 tax and in 2003 I paid £55,631.

I continued to pay similar, substantial amounts of tax until 2006 when I went off the payroll. After that, the tax payments slowly tapered down even though during all this time I was living in Thailand. I would estimate that in the 21st century I have paid over ½ million pounds in tax and that doesn't include my, and my employer's, NIC contributions.

I was a high earner for many years, so in my last 20 years of work, it is not unreasonable to assume I contributed more than £1 million to the UK Exchequer during my working life.

I have never had a major operation in the UK and in any case I always had private health care, and for the past 15 years I haven't taken a dime from the British government and my state pension has been frozen which saved them a few bob.

In my view, I'm entitled to get a bit back, now I am in my 70's and my health is not great. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinions.

4. Anyone who psychoanalyses somebody on the basis of what he reads in an internet forum - especially someone who is not medically qualified - probably needs to look to look hard at himself. For the record, I have suffered from bouts of depression for most of my life. I first saw a psychiatrist in the UK some 50 years ago, and had some very useful sessions with two different therapists in Thailand when I was battling the demon booze.

I would never try to claim I am 100% 'normal' - whatever 'normal' may mean, and I accept that someone who marries 6 times and makes and loses several fortunes may have an odd screw loose....:sad:

But I had a lot of fun along the way - probably more than many - and I'm still in there fighting for me and mine...:smile:

Edited by Mobi

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, I know many love him but his is why Mobi's mental state is questionable.  Probably some of you believe this, but come on. His quote "we are often despised, cheated, robbed, raped and even killed"...  OFTEN, seriously??  Maybe some on here actually believe this based upon your paranoid/negative posts.  

Farangs Defenseless in this corrupt place??  

Have any of you read up on the LM scam?  Check it out some telling/obvious signs of the demise of that fund.  Madoff type greed hoping for an unreasonable pay day.

I suggested before he get some therapy.  I was serious.  He should get help so he can try to live out the remainder of his life in some sort of normalcy.  I hope he seeks some help soon,  I think his current situation may create a lot of stress.  I assume he can get therapy in his home country now for free, go for it.  I hope he does and at some point in the future, he reports back on here and tells us he is doing well.   God bless you Modi.

The irony of your rant may lead some here to think that it is you would may need therapy.

You seem fixated on attacking the man with your application of Pseudo-psychology.

Why is that? Perhaps you should seek some help in understanding why you feel the need.

We are not of a hive mind. We can survive beyond a fixed temperature. We can survive within a range of temperatures. Meaning that a range of perspectives can be considered normal. 

Not only that, but Mobi has written clearly and openly about his situation, but yet you still feel the need to cast aspersions.

Why is that? Perhaps therapy would help to change your perspective.

Do you see the simple point that I am trying to make?

Hey, I just wonder about the comment that Farang are "often" despised, cheated, robbed, raped, killed.  "Often" is a lot and means it is common my friend. I have been here a total now of over 1,000 days and have not experienced any of that.

So, I think it is not good to scare monger others about this place. 

Many are here happy and healthy and not victims.

I hope everything works out for you.  Good luck..

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

The irony of your rant may lead some here to think that it is you would may need therapy.

You seem fixated on attacking the man with your application of Pseudo-psychology.

Why is that? Perhaps you should seek some help in understanding why you feel the need.

We are not of a hive mind. We can survive beyond a fixed temperature. We can survive within a range of temperatures. Meaning that a range of perspectives can be considered normal. 

Not only that, but Mobi has written clearly and openly about his situation, but yet you still feel the need to cast aspersions.

Why is that? Perhaps therapy would help to change your perspective.

Do you see the simple point that I am trying to make?

No.  You know nothing about victims and their thinking. The guy is totally screwed up.  Maybe you don't think so because your thinking and life is similar?  Sure yes, but very sad... Nice try go to school or read a book  and come back. The guy is a poster boy for psychological disaster.  But if you don't think so follow his life and lead and report back on your results.  God bless you so much good luck. 

Good luck for the future Mobi.  Hope you keep us updated on your next phase.

I first visited the 'Tainted paradise" in tbe 80's as a backpacker, then in the 90's as a business traveller, and now as an ex-pat worker for tbe last 8 years.  I originally thought I'd want to settle here, but now I'm not so sure.  As you say in your OP, some neighbouring countries seem to have a more promising future.

Good luck and please keep posting. 

2 hours ago, Mobi said:

1.    I never claimed I was skint – read my posts – I simply don't have enough money remain in Thailand and take care of my family.

2.    I don't believe I am paranoid about the eroding situation in Thailand, although I personally have never, ever, had one moment of trouble from Thais, or anyone else for that matter. Nevertheless, Thailand certainly isn't the same place it was, and IMHO the writing is on the wall. We shall see.

3.    As for freeloading on the British government… well, let me see… the last year I worked was 1999/200, and for that tax year I paid £75,886 in tax; the following year, although I was retired, I was still on the payroll and paid £132,864  in tax. In 2002 I paid £67,561 tax and in 2003 I paid £55,631.

I continued to pay similar, substantial amounts of tax until 2006 when I went off the payroll. After that, the tax payments slowly tapered down even though during all this time I was living in Thailand. I would estimate that in the 21st century I have paid over ½ million pounds in tax and that doesn't include my, and my employer's, NIC contributions.

I was a high earner for many years, so in my last 20 years of work, it is not unreasonable to assume I contributed more than £1 million to the UK Exchequer during my working life.

I have never had a major operation in the UK and in any case I always had private health care, and for the past 15 years I haven't taken a dime from the British government and my state pension has been frozen which saved them a few bob.

In my view, I'm entitled to get a bit back, now I am in my 70's and my health is not great. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinions.

4. Anyone who psychoanalyses somebody on the basis of what he reads in an internet forum - especially someone who is not medically qualified - probably needs to look to look hard at himself. For the record, I have suffered from bouts of depression for most of my life. I first saw a psychiatrist in the UK some 50 years ago, and had some very useful sessions with two different therapists in Thailand when I was battling the demon booze.

I would never try to claim I am 100% 'normal' - whatever 'normal' may mean, and I accept that someone who marries 6 times and makes and loses several fortunes may have an odd screw loose....:sad:

But I had a lot of fun along the way - probably more than many - and I'm still in there fighting for me and mine...:smile:

What about the damn car?  Everyone is still tuning into this thread, to find out the answer to one of the greatest mysteries of this century.  Many of us have been unable to sleep a wink due to the suspense!

1 minute ago, Familyonthemove said:

Good luck for the future Mobi.  Hope you keep us updated on your next phase.

I first visited the 'Tainted paradise" in tbe 80's as a backpacker, then in the 90's as a business traveller, and now as an ex-pat worker for tbe last 8 years.  I originally thought I'd want to settle here, but now I'm not so sure.  As you say in your OP, some neighbouring countries seem to have a more promising future.

Good luck and please keep posting. 

Which neighbouring country?  You must be joking!

2 hours ago, Mobi said:

Just as well I qualified my comment that I didn't know then.

I did get annoyed when I had to help people have free operations on the NHS when they had obviously never lived in the UK during their working lives.

I would never try to claim I am 100% 'normal' - whatever 'normal' may mean, and I accept that someone who marries 6 times and makes and loses several fortunes may have an odd screw loose....

:smile: