Cost of living

1 minute ago, thehelmsman said:

Why are folks say living upcountry is so much cheaper. Besides the fact if you have land you can raise your own food. If you buy your food at markets, Makro.... where ever you choose. Where do you save??? Understand rent may be cheaper, but that's about it.

Just rented a nice room with cable and internet for 4300bht/mo. 1 hr south of Pattaya. I understand up north that money could get you a small house, but what else is going to be cheaper.

The availability of small local markets where produce is even cheaper than larger markets and much closer - less temptation to be lazy and head for a supermarket because they are further away and there are fewer - pharmacies that cater to rural folk and charge foreigners the same prices, the difference can be huge - local shops that serve as a Homepro equivalent where prices are much lower, Homepro is here but just no need to use it. In general, there's more shops of all kinds that are fun and easy to use without the overheads of the big (chain) stores, ditto restaurants.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The availability of small local markets where produce is even cheaper than larger markets and much closer - less temptation to be lazy and head for a supermarket because they are further away and there are fewer - pharmacies that cater to rural folk and charge foreigners the same prices, the difference can be huge - local shops that serve as a Homepro equivalent where prices are much lower, Homepro is here but just no need to use it. In general, there's more shops of all kinds that are fun and easy to use without the overheads of the big (chain) stores, ditto restaurants.

All true, but no need to be far away from the luxuries we sometimes desire. Just moved to Rayong area from deep Isaan. Time will tell.

Just now, thehelmsman said:

All true, but no need to be far away from the luxuries we sometimes desire. Just moved to Rayong area from deep Isaan. Time will tell.

And what you write is true also. But I'm only 22 kms or 20 mins out of Chiang Mai hence those luxuries are there when I want them. The message seems to be that if you get out of the tourist areas and out of the cities, the cost of living becomes much more reasonable without having to suffer any serious trade offs.

1 hour ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Cleaning, Ironing, Gardening

Do it Urself  ?

You still iron clothes :shock1:!

But you bring up a good point.  Personally, its way too hot (and I'm too lazy...) to do my own cleaning.

Quite happy (most of the time - depending on my circumstances) pottering around in the garden in the shade - but have no desire to stand in the sun cutting the grass/getting gored pruning the bougainviillea etc. etc.

So again it boils down to the individuals' choices.

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You still iron clothes :shock1:!

But you bring up a good point.  Personally, its way too hot (and I'm too lazy...) to do my own cleaning.

Quite happy (most of the time - depending on my circumstances) pottering around in the garden in the shade - but have no desire to stand in the sun cutting the grass/getting gored pruning the bougainviillea etc. etc.

So again it boils down to the individuals' choices.

Yes I agree, up to ones personal preferences. But not mine ?

On 5/11/2017 at 7:20 AM, perspectiff said:

Hey thanks for the response. Isn't 55k rental a little too steep? What sort of accomodation do you reside in? I'm looking at something closer to 10-12k a month.

3BR ~225 sq meter condo on Suk Soi 24.

55K is actually a bargain in this neck of the woods.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've 'skimmed' most of this thread, but seem to recall you're thinking of Bangkok?

Your speed reading skills are right. I mentioned that I would like to first try and settle in BKK because I have a very close local friend staying nearby there and it would help be better integrate for the first 2 years. 

But it may not be where I would like to leave long term. I have always loved the lifestyle of Chiang Mai more and it continues to be a better option for me. But I think its good to leave my options open as I havent been to most places you guys have been so I cant say with conviction that I wouldnt like them too. 

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I forgot to add I go to all the movies, I like the Cineplex that has the recliner chairs, I like rooftop bars and live entertainment or just sitting in Lumpini park reading a newspaper.  I have lived in rural Thailand off and on, good for awhile, but I like the concrete under my feet and a Beach close by, which is why I am considering Hua Hin or Jom Tien, will rent a couple months in both places and see which I like best.  Bangkok is expensive for a retiree on a fixed income, if no working investments or not working at all, it can tax even the most healthy bank account.  Bangkok is  not cheap by any means, I speak a fair amount of Thai and go to a lot of odd ball places, and still wind up spending more than I thought I would.  But that's what semi-retirement is all about right - enjoying yourself.:thumbsup:

Apparently one can rent a condo in Jomtien by the month for 10,000 baht/month.

I've given up on going to the cinema, too many films dubbed in Thai. My Thai is reasonable, but not that good. Instead, I bought a MXq android box for my TV, 3000 baht. Free streaming.  I'll never run out of films or TV series to watch.

Each to his own - Bangkok is just too crowded and stinking hot for me.

Just moved to Rayong. Been shopping to outfit the rental with extras. Makro so far is great. Some folks favor the markets, yes I bought a ton of plastic crap there as well. But for better quality, better selection, clean goods....Makro has it all. And I did it all without a budget.

The beach has a great on the sand restaurant, good seafood at good prices. The 3 of stuffed our faces with fresh seafood for 700 bht.

Think I'm going to like it here.

43 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

Just moved to Rayong. Been shopping to outfit the rental with extras. Makro so far is great. Some folks favor the markets, yes I bought a ton of plastic crap there as well. But for better quality, better selection, clean goods....Makro has it all. And I did it all without a budget.

The beach has a great on the sand restaurant, good seafood at good prices. The 3 of stuffed our faces with fresh seafood for 700 bht.

Think I'm going to like it here.

Sounds wonderful. I'm picturing the scenario as I read your post and I'm liking what I see inside my head too.

20 hours ago, perspectiff said:

Your speed reading skills are right. I mentioned that I would like to first try and settle in BKK because I have a very close local friend staying nearby there and it would help be better integrate for the first 2 years. 

But it may not be where I would like to leave long term. I have always loved the lifestyle of Chiang Mai more and it continues to be a better option for me. But I think its good to leave my options open as I havent been to most places you guys have been so I cant say with conviction that I wouldnt like them too. 

Moving to an area where you know somebody (who has lived there a while) is a good idea.  They can 'bring you up to speed' far more quickly.

Every area has its pros and cons - its boils down to the old saying 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

Similarly, its impossible to provide cost of living advice - as it depends so much on each individuals' priorities and 'needs'.  e.g. a large part of my expenditure is on rent, because I love where its located and it matches my 'needs' - whereas others are quite happy living in an apartment and prefer to spend their money on other things.

Some prefer tourist areas (as most things are easily available nearby), but the down-side is that the cost of living will be higher (as will the amount of traffic) than living in a small village in 'the middle of nowhere'.  This is not meant disparagingly, as some people enjoy living 'out in the sticks' where they don't have the problem of heavy traffic and the like.

Interesting thread and of course people will have widely varying living costs mine tend to be between 60k-70k a month

the largest expenses are

1) rent

2) women

3) food

rent is negotiable so get that as low as possible for a standard of living you are happy with

women is a big variable cost some people won't indulge - or claim not too but this is can be a relatively large expense depending how "active" you are - also very negotiable depending how long you are here - if you are going to indulge here my advise is maintain a large phonebook and wait for them to have no customers etc you can get girls that would be 2000-3000 for 1000 this way.

food is also down to you very easy to eat cheaply - I eat mainly thai food with the odd western meal - look for offers / happy hours on western food - I tend to eat in the same restaraunts and they are the ones with a good standard of hygiene and don't give me the shits - you will learn which ones to avoid 

On 2017-5-11 at 5:29 AM, fusion58 said:

Yes, it does depend on where you want to live.

My monthly damages in BKK:

Rent: 55K

Electric: 5-7K 

Water: ~300

Internet/TV: ~1,200

Cell service (wife's and my own) ~1,700

Food: 15-20K (for two people who dine out 4-5 nights per week + groceries.)

YMMV, as they say.

Did you sign the contract the moment you stepped off the flight. Mugged absolutely.  Call the police

On 5/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, perspectiff said:

I am a social drinker so I won't really look for it unless its with company.. even so, I usually only have a couple of beers. But yes my main concern lies in having a partner that I will need to support. 

That will be the main drain on your money. Unless your partner dosnt have kids or family and has a highly paid job that can share living expenses 20k up will be required. Its not only the monthly "salary" that guys give their partners, its the daily living expense, every meal you have she eats also, gaurantee that everytime you go shopping, new clothes, toiletries etc will be added to the basket....oh that salary you pay her...goes straight to the family.....then there will be oh, the kids school needs paying, sick nephew etc etc etc. 

On 5/11/2017 at 3:23 PM, peterb17 said:

Because out of Bangkok- see what it gets you- my house is 500sqm - it's magical, and a stunning garden - all I hear is the birds- very good security / services/ maintenance in the village- for 50k

Add cleaning/ ironing/ gardeners- another 12k a month.

Back home this would get you a small flat in a not particularly fashionable part of town.

its just wonderful getting up to a sea of green, peace and quiet- and a large house to bumble around in. 

So why is it crazy ? You can't really own a house and if the roof leaks or something goes wrong - just contact the landlord. If you can afford it-why not? 

To the OP- there have been many threads on budgets- Thailand is not so cheap any more- you really to think carefully about the type of lifestyle you dream about .Countryside ( economical but dull) or city living ( expensive , but gives you a certain amount of culture and fun) 

To put it in perspective I pay 50K a month and that buys me a somewhat luxurious 75sqm condo in the Asoke area. The facilities are pretty good but you can see the building is beginning to fall apart in places already.

I find the upper end market here similar to buying a fake Rolex. It looks good but you soon realize why it is priced the way it. I mean this for the rental market though. Buying anything here is severely over priced. This unit sells for 12 million you would have to be out of your  mind to buy it for that.

Most friends that visit actually tell me how cheap it is when they look around

Isn't it funny when you simply state what your rent is and people say how outlandish it is? I would probably have gone out where you are but don't plan on hanging around much longer. Furnishing that place is a bit of an expense because it is huge. 55K is nothing for the type of place you have. I mean that in a good way.

My budget is around 140,000 Baht a month. That isn't being careful nor is it me buying sex in the champagne room either. 

I know you can do it on less but I could not imagine trying to survive on anything less than 2,000 Baht a day. Even then life is pretty mundane but if you are easily entertained and not prone to boredom you can live in Bangkok on that.

It must be that time of year we haven't had one of this threads for awhile.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, al007 said:

Yes I too love Thailand , and am lucky enough to have peace and contentment, and enough to live on  very comfortably despite some very large medical bills, I am self insured

I am fascinated on what your home country might be, maybe Singapore !  !!   !!!

will someone explain "self insured" if it means paying for your treatment out your savings then thats not insurance. i hear this phrase regularly here

47 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

will someone explain "self insured" if it means paying for your treatment out your savings then thats not insurance. i hear this phrase regularly here

Ultimately its someones 'get out of the discussion card' when they don't have adequate medical insurance*

*for whatever reasons... for many, the premiums are too high, so they prefer to take their chances pay themselves from their savings, they may even choose public cheaper hospitals. Others may not be able to get insurance at all due to pre-existing conditions etc... or they came here and are too old and the insurance companies reject their application. 

For those who keep in excess of $1,000,000 in their account liquid and readily accessible in the event of a serious issue - I would suggest that they can consider themselves 'self insured'.... other uses of this term are just avoiding the reality and perhaps really mean 'hoping for the best'.... 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately its someones 'get out of the discussion card' when they don't have adequate medical insurance*

*for whatever reasons... for many, the premiums are too high, so they prefer to take their chances pay themselves from their savings, they may even choose public cheaper hospitals. Others may not be able to get insurance at all due to pre-existing conditions etc... or they came here and are too old and the insurance companies reject their application. 

For those who keep in excess of $1,000,000 in their account liquid and readily accessible in the event of a serious issue - I would suggest that they can consider themselves 'self insured'.... other uses of this term are just avoiding the reality and perhaps really mean 'hoping for the best'.... 

Not exactly that. I made a conscious decision about seventeen years ago that I was not going to buy any more private health insurance, this decision followed many years of paying fees for it that had increased every year and eventually become so cost ineffective I had actually become angry at the way the industry was ripping me off - the straw that broke the camels back was seventeen years ago when I wrote a cheque for almost 5k Pounds to Bupa UK to renew my policy and I thought, there has to be a better way. So instead of paying fees to insurance companies I set aside a sum of money that is liquid but I invest and I roll up the principle and interest monthly, the purpose of that fund is to pay my private medical expenses, as and when they arise.

In the seventeen years I've been doing this I've more than doubled the value of the fund to the point where I've now actually reduced it's value because I thought the fund was getting too large. In those seventeen years I've paid out 170k Baht for a cardiac stent (PCI) plus about 82k Baht for diagnostic tests of one sort or another - I don't charge my fund for routine medical things such as doctors visits, health exams or medication I take monthly such as statins and aspirin and there's a lot of subjectivity on my part about what things should be charged and what shouldn't. My basic rule is that the fund will pay for anything that is likely to impact my regular monthly living expenses budget and that seems to work out well. The fund is capable of paying for two major medical events and the residual value of the fund forms part of my Thai and UK wills and will be passed to my heirs when I die.

I don't recommend the above to everyone, it takes a lot of discipline to run and manage plus you need to start off with a healthy sum. But I enjoy all of that and I had the money available when I sold a property in the UK so for me it has worked out well.

9 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Not exactly that. I made a conscious decision about seventeen years ago that I was not going to buy any more private health insurance, this decision followed many years of paying fees for it that had increased every year and eventually become so cost ineffective I had actually become angry at the way the industry was ripping me off - the straw that broke the camels back was seventeen years ago when I wrote a cheque for almost 5k Pounds to Bupa UK to renew my policy and I thought, there has to be a better way. So instead of paying fees to insurance companies I set aside a sum of money that is liquid but I invest and I roll up the principle and interest monthly, the purpose of that fund is to pay my private medical expenses, as and when they arise.

In the seventeen years I've been doing this I've more than doubled the value of the fund to the point where I've now actually reduced it's value because I thought the fund was getting too large. In those seventeen years I've paid out 170k Baht for a cardiac stent (PCI) plus about 82k Baht for diagnostic tests of one sort or another - I don't charge my fund for routine medical things such as doctors visits, health exams or medication I take monthly such as statins and aspirin and there's a lot of subjectivity on my part about what things should be charged and what shouldn't. My basic rule is that the fund will pay for anything that is likely to impact my regular monthly living expenses budget and that seems to work out well. The fund is capable of paying for two major medical events and the residual value of the fund forms part of my Thai and UK wills and will be passed to my heirs when I die.

I don't recommend the above to everyone, it takes a lot of discipline to run and manage plus you need to start off with a healthy sum. But I enjoy all of that and I had the money available when I sold a property in the UK so for me it has worked out well.

That seems like quite a decent way of handling it...  

If you don't mind my asking, what preparations do you have in the event of something much more significant occurring... i.e. the dreaded cancer which requires some repeated and quite expensive treatment (which could easily be more than 5 million baht per year)....  

I suffered a DVT and Pulmonary Embolism while in Borneo... I was medevaced to Singapore on a learjet, spend 10 days in a hospital.... the Bills were astronomical, my insurance covered all this... I was 33 years old... 

I also know of a lady who at 40 years old suffered a rare illness, she was in ICU for a month, bed bound in hospital for 4 months, after release required daily physio - her bills were huge (about 5 million baht), she had no insurance, I think her parents had to help by remortgaging their house. 

That said, I know many more people who have never needed to go to hospital so odds are we're all ok... well most of us. But its taking a big chance unless we have that 'standby' money. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That seems like quite a decent way of handling it...  

If you don't mind my asking, what preparations do you have in the event of something much more significant occurring... i.e. the dreaded cancer which requires some repeated and quite expensive treatment (which could easily be more than 5 million baht per year)....  

I suffered a DVT and Pulmonary Embolism while in Borneo... I was medevaced to Singapore on a learjet, spend 10 days in a hospital.... the Bills were astronomical, my insurance covered all this... I was 33 years old... 

I also know of a lady who at 40 years old suffered a rare illness, she was in ICU for a month, bed bound in hospital for 4 months, after release required daily physio - her bills were huge (about 5 million baht), she had no insurance, I think her parents had to help by remortgaging their house. 

That said, I know many more people who have never needed to go to hospital so odds are we're all ok... well most of us. But its taking a big chance unless we have that 'standby' money. 

I funded the account seventeen years ago with 5 million, today it's contains double that. If that turns out to be insufficient there's always the NHS as a very last resort, I am in fact in the process of re-establishing UK residency albeit that's not the primary purpose - somewhere in all of that is this thing called luck and knowing mine, chances are I'll die in my sleep without spending twopence on medical care (I hope).

Cannot see Gik expenses anywhere in the calculations of people. 

What is the reasonable cost of a Gik living in Bangkok if you have a wife staying at home. 

On 11.5.2017 at 4:00 PM, perspectiff said:

Thank you for your well wishes! I too hope I can fulfill them. I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip there and have gone back to it many times since. But ive got to say I reserve special affections for Chiang Mai too. 

Well Im in my early 30s so im not sure if you can call that young hahaha but it's never too early to plan for your life goals! Hopefully I could reach the income levels you and your husband enjoys by the time I get to move there too.

Cheers thanks for the wonderful advice!

Well early 30s.
Would also say that you can do well with around 40K in Bangkok per month.
If you are a party type and like to play with the girls, then you can add another 60K - 90K per month.

On 2017-5-19 at 4:47 PM, wow64 said:

Cannot see Gik expenses anywhere in the calculations of people. 

What is the reasonable cost of a Gik living in Bangkok if you have a wife staying at home. 

Not sure how many of you does she have on the go?

24 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Well early 30s.
Would also say that you can do well with around 40K in Bangkok per month.
If you are a party type and like to play with the girls, then you can add another 60K - 90K per month.

I enjoy the occasional party and of course, the beautiful women thailand has to offer but i'm kinda planning this somewhere 15-20 years down the road (hopefully earlier if possible). I think by then I will probably put my partying and womanizing habits behind me. 

33 minutes ago, perspectiff said:

I enjoy the occasional party and of course, the beautiful women thailand has to offer but i'm kinda planning this somewhere 15-20 years down the road (hopefully earlier if possible). I think by then I will probably put my partying and womanizing habits behind me. 

If you have this strength ok.
But Bangkok or Chiang Mai are very seductive and alluring in this case.
My first 2 year party in Bangkok as a single man in my late 20ths cost me in today exchange rates around 4 million baht.
Let's say you go to Levels, Thonglor or RCA for a look.
Taxis and drinks cost you 600 baht.
Then you want to look into Mix disco.
Taxi free: Hurray.
Then you'll pop in the 167 cm tall gazelle with long legs, almond eyes and in jeans hot pants.
The first thing she tells you is, that she has just shaved herself fresh, and guarantees you, that you will get not any sleep within the next 5 hours. So after two drinks, a taxi driver who does not turn on the meter and a short-term fun hotel booking, you are another 1300 baht back. The next morning you pay a common breakfast, her entertainment fee and may some taxi money 5000 Baht.
So a nice night for 6900 Baht all together.
Do this stunt 10 times a month (every 3 days) and you are at the extra 70K per month.
Do not underestimate this in your calculation!

Edited by tomacht8

On 5/10/2017 at 6:29 PM, fusion58 said:

... My monthly damages in BKK:  ... Rent: 55K ...

I guess I was doing good in BKK back in 1979/80 getting a stand-alone 3 room wooden house for about 1,200 Baht a month. :) Right up a Soi across from the Indra Hotel/Pratunam area.  My Landlady was a Khun Ying, so no one messed with anything in the nice compound. It might have even had screens on the windows.

49 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

If you have this strength ok.
But Bangkok or Chiang Mai are very seductive and alluring in this case.
My first 2 year party in Bangkok as a single man in my late 20ths cost me in today exchange rates around 4 million baht.
Let's say you go to Levels, Thonglor or RCA for a look.
Taxis and drinks cost you 600 baht.
Then you want to look into Mix disco.
Taxi free: Hurray.
Then you'll pop in the 167 cm tall gazelle with long legs, almond eyes and in jeans hot pants.
The first thing she tells you is, that she has just shaved herself fresh, and guarantees you, that you will get not any sleep within the next 5 hours. So after two drinks, a taxi driver who does not turn on the meter and a short-term fun hotel booking, you are another 1300 baht back. The next morning you pay a common breakfast, her entertainment fee and may some taxi money 5000 Baht.
So a nice night for 6900 Baht all together.
Do this stunt 10 times a month (every 3 days) and you are at the extra 70K per month.
Do not underestimate this in your calculation!

Taxis and drinks 600thb when one cocktail is 250ish++ ?? But paying 5k for a hooker? 

Or you go gym four times a week, buy decent clothes, get 700thb haircut about every 6 weeks and never pay for sex.

Not difficult to even get (complimentary) three way from Mixx/Spicy ... once the girls even didn't know each other