Cost of living

9 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Yes, it does depend on where you want to live.

My monthly damages in BKK:

Rent: 55K

Electric: 5-7K 

Water: ~300

Internet/TV: ~1,200

Cell service (wife's and my own) ~1,700

Food: 15-20K (for two people who dine out 4-5 nights per week + groceries.)

YMMV, as they say.

Why would anyone want to pay 55k rent every month?

Crazy, u must hav money to burn or acting like a Bkk HiSo  ??

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, perspectiff said:

Thanks everyone for your generous inputs. I understand the amount is dependent on your choice of lifestyle. Im just curious how most local Thai's are able to survive on an average wage of 30k, 

Im not too concerned about healthcare since I will likely retain citizenship with my native country since im only a couple of hours flight from home and retain its healthcare benefits. I will probably get a travel insurance just in case though.

It seems on average most of you are spending 60k a month, that works out to around 1700 USD. To be honest it's way more than I had expected. Looks like I will need to plan ahead to generate more passive income or operate some form of business while living there.

Don't even consider starting a business here. It will cost you money, not add to your budget. However, if you can perform some work online for people back home, that can generate some income for you. Unless you have the right skill set, I would not count on this.

Local Thais? Many are living on less than 20k per month! But it is easier for them.

I, personally, can live here, even in Bangkok, on 30k per month:

Rent: 10k

Food: 6k

Misc: 4k

Utilities including Internet: 5k

Of course, this does not factor in inflation, which you can count on. Nor does it include the inevitable chunks of flesh demanded yearly by immigration. Nor does  it include many nights out, budget for drinking or smoking, budget for girls, etc. In other words, not an exciting lifestyle. But then, I have been there done that. It gets boring for those with an IQ above room temperature.

As others have said, healthcare is the big variable for those who are not young and healthy or covered by insurance.

Those who are spending multiples of this budget are living very well, and all the better for them. But it is not critical for those who know how to live a more simple lifestyle and are happy to do so. It really depends on your expectations and desires.

20 minutes ago, al007 said:

Govt hospital costs here can be very good and  also affordable

I consider Singapore very expensive, and if you are living there especially if you own real estate early retirement to Thailand is very achievable, but keep your property in Singapore, I believe it is a better and safer bet than Thailand

Some of the very cheap fares between Singapore and Bangkok make exploring and checking our easy and not expensive, and you then judge for yourself first hand

And then there is Malaysia, almost swimming distance

Enjoy yourself sir, in time you will achieve your wishes I am sure, 

Good Luck

Yes living in Singapore is extremely costly, and honestly I've grown fed up of the lifestyle here. Owning a real estate here is part of my strategy too. Likely I will rent out my space here to supplement part of the income living in Thailand. 

You are right about the cheap fares too. I average around 3000 baht for 2 way when i travel off peak to thailand. Ive been to BKK 3 times, Phuket and Chiang Mai twice and each trip has only entrenched me deeper with ambitions of relocation.

Plenty of singaporeans have retired in Malaysia too but its a destination I would rather avoid. The public transport system is a joke and I have a genuine fear of my life every time I set foot there.

and lastly, thank you for your well wishes and kind words I too hope I would be able to achieve this dream soon.

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, perspectiff said:

I second that. I once had a meal at an italian restaurant near phrom phong with my then- thai gf and the meal almost cost me 3k. Whereas there have been days where I just have a nice bowl of fried egg omelette with rice which tastes absolutely divine for 25 baht. But in all honesty its a tough ask for me to totally avoid eating at fancier places. 

As for your second question, I spend between anywhere between 20 - 25k baht in Singapore if I didnt do anything fancy for that month. But with that amount I eat home most of the time and I currently still live with my parents (housing here is incredibly restrictive and extortionate). 

Ideally I would also like to spend around 20-25k a month in BKK after housing. Of course I would love to be able to spend more but it's incredibly challenging to accumulate enough savings or passive income to be able to afford more so Im being conservative here.

If you live on 25k in Singapore, you should be able to live on  less here , for the equivalent lifestyle

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

Don't even consider starting a business here. It will cost you money, not add to your budget. However, if you can perform some work online for people back home, that can generate some income for you. Unless you have the right skill set, I would not count on this.

Local Thais? Many are living on less than 20k per month! But it is easier for them.

I, personally, can live here, even in Bangkok, on 30k per month:

Rent: 10k

Food: 6k

Misc: 4k

Utilities including Internet: 5k

Of course, this does not factor in inflation, which you can count on. Nor does it include the inevitable chunks of flesh demanded yearly by immigration. Nor does  it include many nights out, budget for drinking or smoking, budget for girls, etc. In other words, not an exciting lifestyle. But then, I have been there done that. It gets boring for those with an IQ above room temperature.

As others have said, healthcare is the big variable for those who are not young and healthy or covered by insurance.

Those who are spending multiples of this budget are living very well, and all the better for them. But it is not critical for those who know how to live a more simple lifestyle and are happy to do so. It really depends on your expectations and desires.

Good point.  I think a big cost variable is also dependent on the timing of my move. My general planned destination is BKK if it were to happen between 40-45, and Chiang Mai for anything above that. I believe once in past 45 I would also be sick and tired of all the partying and settle for a quiet life sipping coffee while staring at the mountains. Not to mention the energy levels would have dramatically deserted my body by then. Of course this is all only in theory. If i get hitched in BKK than I might have to stay there for good too.

I have asked my local friend once how any of them survive on 20-25k wage a month and his reply to me was: you can survive. But you can forget about any hobbies. Sounds pretty grim but thats reality I suppose.

1 hour ago, al007 said:

Im just curious how most local Thai's are able to survive on an average wage of 30k,    Well as you say survive, they have very different needs

Remember there are many choices other than Thailand, originally on my list was Cuba, Colombia, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, and many Caribbean islands

30k? most survive on a third of that. 

My wife and I  live well in Phuket on 70k a month. Rent is 18k for a two bedroom home. Currently traveling in Portugal to get out of the heat in May. 

Life is good.

1 minute ago, Pinot said:

30k? most survive on a third of that. 

My wife and I  live well in Phuket on 70k a month. Rent is 18k for a two bedroom home. Currently traveling in Portugal to get out of the heat in May. 

Life is good.

Yeap I suppose 30k is good for a normal lifestyle (minus the portugal of course!) Glad to know you and your wife are enjoying the fruits of your labour =)

13 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Some of these posts on here on how much they spend monthly is just bullshit. Wot are u trying to prove to us. The average amount for any expat living over here is about 40,000b monthly.

I can't say for sure the legitimacy of these claims since I don't belong to the expat community in Thailand. But it is my opinion that some could be more well-off than others, while others don't scrimp on entertainment or food. In any case, thanks for providing me with the average amount (one which I can realistically aim for. haha!) 

Might take me some work but hey, nobody said it was easy.

Cost of living on average is low. Rents are low. Market food is cheap.Electricity and water are cheap. to live it is cheap. What you do with your free time here can change the cost of being here but not the cost of living.

Take my wife and I as an example. Our cost of living is cheap. But we like to go to Pattaya and Bangkok for dining and shopping that drives up our monthly expenses. We keep a son in University at Rangsit this again drives up expenses. Our teenage daughter costs also. Keeping our dogs and cat healthy costs. Home  upkeep etc.

But just plain old cost of living it is dirt cheap.I feel it is hobbies or habits that cost.A guy can live good and be healthy on 30,000 baht a month,but extras cost money. If you fill your time with low cost hobbies it is cheap to be here. If you like to squander it is expensive.

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

Cost of living on average is low. Rents are low. Market food is cheap.Electricity and water are cheap. to live it is cheap. What you do with your free time here can change the cost of being here but not the cost of living.

Take my wife and I as an example. Our cost of living is cheap. But we like to go to Pattaya and Bangkok for dining and shopping that drives up our monthly expenses. We keep a son in University at Rangsit this again drives up expenses. Our teenage daughter costs also. Keeping our dogs and cat healthy costs. Home  upkeep etc.

But just plain old cost of living it is dirt cheap.I feel it is hobbies or habits that cost.A guy can live good and be healthy on 30,000 baht a month,but extras cost money. If you fill your time with low cost hobbies it is cheap to be here. If you like to squander it is expensive.

Absolutely. I'm kinda simple. I don't smoke, I'm perfectly fine without a vehicle, I don't really like to stay in big spaces so a small home is just fine. Of course I do have my vice, but that is borne from solitude having been single for the past 3 years. The life I envisioned would be one where I wake up in the morning and have a light breakfast with robust coffee, and during my free time I'd lke to just spend my hours away surfing the web, taking my dog out for a long walk, and the occasional fishing/camping before returning home for dinner with my wife. 

39 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Because out of Bangkok- see what it gets you- my house is 500sqm - it's magical, and a stunning garden - all I hear is the birds- very good security / services/ maintenance in the village- for 50k

Add cleaning/ ironing/ gardeners- another 12k a month.

Back home this would get you a small flat in a not particularly fashionable part of town.

its just wonderful getting up to a sea of green, peace and quiet- and a large house to bumble around in. 

So why is it crazy ? You can't really own a house and if the roof leaks or something goes wrong - just contact the landlord. If you can afford it-why not? 

To the OP- there have been many threads on budgets- Thailand is not so cheap any more- you really to think carefully about the type of lifestyle you dream about .Countryside ( economical but dull) or city living ( expensive , but gives you a certain amount of culture and fun) 

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Because out of Bangkok- see what it gets you- my house is 500sqm - it's magical, and a stunning garden - all I hear is the birds- very good security / services/ maintenance in the village- for 50k

Add cleaning/ ironing/ gardeners- another 12k a month.

Back home this would get you a small flat in a not particularly fashionable part of town.

its just wonderful getting up to a sea of green, peace and quiet- and a large house to bumble around in. 

So why is it crazy ? You can't really own a house and if the roof leaks or something goes wrong - just contact the landlord. If you can afford it-why not? 

To the OP- there have been many threads on budgets- Thailand is not so cheap any more- you really to think carefully about the type of lifestyle you dream about .Countryside ( economical but dull) or city living ( expensive , but gives you a certain amount of culture and fun) 

That does indeed sound like paradise! Ufortunately I may have to work till im 80 to be able to afford such a luxury.

I know Thailand is not cheap anymore. I have witnessed the rising cost over the years.. But trust me, once you have lived in Singapore, Thailand seems pittance. 

I do hope you can fulfill your dreams as I did, but I was retiring and had holidayed here a couple of years be4 so was able to plan ahead prior to me actual retirement date.

It appears you are much younger as you don't mention retirement and have no pension, etc. I can tell you that lifestyles and location are THE important criterion as others have rightly stated. 

I have lived in Chiang Mai for nearly 9 years, ever since retirement, and still love it here.

The smoke someone mentioned occurs around late Feb until early April and is caused by farmers burning their rice and corn stubble in the main, but also illegal or 'accidental' forest fires facilitating mushroom growing. Local government and army attempts to control it meet limited success but there are farang initiatives taking place which attempt to show farmers, etc how to burn the stubble without producing toxic smoke. This is an ongoing issue but fortunately hasn't affected me personally but those sensitive to smoke with lung or other health issues do find it an issue.

I have change my lifestyle over these 9 years having moved from a rented condo to owning a house; and from hitting the nightlife most nights to only doing so about twice a week, having formed a stable relationship and now I'm married to a Thai national.

Originally I was living it up on an income from between 72 to 65k a month and now I can still live a comfortable life on about 45 to 50k a month which includes running a car, paying the internet, tv access, mobile phone, electric, water bills and dining out in farang restaurants most evenings. 

My husband and I can still afford to travel regularly to neighbouring Asean countries and tour extensively within Thailand, especially when he's working, obviously! 

We also manage trips back to my home country the UK every couple of years and will be doing so again next year with an additional tour of Europe.

Judicious use of a credit card comes in handy - with a view to always paying it off asap!

This latter is, in my opinion, a useful 'back-up' for any unexpected emergencies or unbudgeted expenditure.

Hope the above is useful and best wishes for your savings schedule and any future work plans.

Make a Realistic budget: Food is the smallest Amount:

My Monthly costs for 2 People/ own Car, in Prachuap Khiri Khan:

General :

- House (2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms) & Pool 20.500 B/Month

- Electricity (3 Aircons) & Water 2000

- Inurance sickness and accident, a good One 4000

- Internet 750

- Phone 300

- Gasoline for a medium Car 1500

- Car Insurance 1 Class and Maintenance 1800

- Streettax 50

- Aircon Maintenance 100

General costs 31.000 +/-

Food (mostly Thaifood), Cloths & Entertainment (not that one, I am married :wai:) 23.000 +/-

Over all 55.000 Bath/Month +/-

Edited by ujayujay

My Thai GF and I do not drink, do most of shopping at outdoor markets ( <<== she is a Is an Issan girl ) - EXCEPT eggs, milk and uncooked meat.

Did a experiment for 1 month in Pattaya and BKK to see the least amount of money to spend for a " comfortable " living: 

REQUIRED that we both eat 2 GOOD meals daily and "snacks"!!  One shower each person daily,  entertainment - sightseeing, any free concerts, shows, cable TV and internet, 2 mobiles - 100THB each,  1 rented motorcycle and fuel in Pattaya only,  running water, bottled water, electric.

Starting CASH IN HAND money 30,000THB

Pattaya: Live in small confortable house - 1 large bedroom with separate toilet, Large living / dinning / kitchen combo room, portch and driveway, 4 shade trees protect from sun. Go to beach 3 times a week, use the complex swimming pool, AC 6 hours at night....cost 22,000THB

BKK: Live in small condo - small bedroom, small separate toilet and shower, small living / dinning room, small kitchen and a very small kitchen sink, balcony with washing machine. Use the complex swimming pool, AC 6 hours at night - condo faces the sun most of the day. Superior bus service, close to 5 malls and 3 outdoor markets, NO motorcycle....cost ( had to get 5,000THB additional out of bank ) ...35,000THB

Edited by edwardflory
Addl info

1 hour ago, perspectiff said:

<snip>Looks like I will need to plan ahead to generate more passive income or operate some form of business while living there. <snip>

Hopefully you are making reasonably good money at this point in your life and have a developed saving/investing discipline.  Where are you coming out of?  You mentioned it was nearby, only a few hours from Thailand... but has no old age pension system.

To the passive income talking point, in broad strokes, the portion of my portfolio for passive income is about 1/2 million USD, which produces a fairly consistent $2,200 per month.  Mid-cap, medium risk/growth.

I have other passive income, so to the cost of living question, without any loans/debts/kids/ex-wives, etc. and not including big ticket purchases or long trips abroad, Mrs and I live a comfortable life here on about $2,400 a month.  Sometimes a bit more, sometimes bit less... usually the former, not the latter.  :saai:

I live in Bangkok (suburb) with my wife and two daughters. We spend around Baht 120,000 but that includes electricity, water, four mobiles, TV, two cars (fuel and maintenance), house maid and food. House was bought outright so no payments or rent.

Overall pretty good I reckon

23 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

I do hope you can fulfill your dreams as I did, but I was retiring and had holidayed here a couple of years be4 so was able to plan ahead prior to me actual retirement date.

It appears you are much younger as you don't mention retirement and have no pension, etc. I can tell you that lifestyles and location are THE important criterion as others have rightly stated. 

I have lived in Chiang Mai for nearly 9 years, ever since retirement, and still love it here.

The smoke someone mentioned occurs around late Feb until early April and is caused by farmers burning their rice and corn stubble in the main, but also illegal or 'accidental' forest fires facilitating mushroom growing. Local government and army attempts to control it meet limited success but there are farang initiatives taking place which attempt to show farmers, etc how to burn the stubble without producing toxic smoke. This is an ongoing issue but fortunately hasn't affected me personally but those sensitive to smoke with lung or other health issues do find it an issue.

I have change my lifestyle over these 9 years having moved from a rented condo to owning a house; and from hitting the nightlife most nights to only doing so about twice a week, having formed a stable relationship and now I'm married to a Thai national.

Originally I was living it up on an income from between 72 to 65k a month and now I can still live a comfortable life on about 45 to 50k a month which includes running a car, paying the internet, tv access, mobile phone, electric, water bills and dining out in farang restaurants most evenings. 

My husband and I can still afford to travel regularly to neighbouring Asean countries and tour extensively within Thailand, especially when he's working, obviously! 

We also manage trips back to my home country the UK every couple of years and will be doing so again next year with an additional tour of Europe.

Judicious use of a credit card comes in handy - with a view to always paying it off asap!

This latter is, in my opinion, a useful 'back-up' for any unexpected emergencies or unbudgeted expenditure.

Hope the above is useful and best wishes for your savings schedule and any future work plans.

Thank you for your well wishes! I too hope I can fulfill them. I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip there and have gone back to it many times since. But ive got to say I reserve special affections for Chiang Mai too. 

Well Im in my early 30s so im not sure if you can call that young hahaha but it's never too early to plan for your life goals! Hopefully I could reach the income levels you and your husband enjoys by the time I get to move there too.

Cheers thanks for the wonderful advice!

18 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

My Thai GF and I do not drink, do most of shopping at outdoor markets ( <<== she is a Is an Issan girl ) - EXCEPT eggs, milk and uncooked meat.

Did a experiment for 1 month in Pattaya and BKK to see the least amount of money to spend for a " comfortable " living: 

REQUIRED that we both eat 2 GOOD meals daily and "snacks"!!  One shower each person daily,  entertainment - sightseeing, any free concerts, shows, cable TV and internet, 2 mobiles - 100THB each,  1 rented motorcycle and fuel in Pattaya only,  running water, bottled water, electric.

Starting CASH IN HAND money 30,000THB

Pattaya: Live in small confortable house - 1 large bedroom with separate toilet, Large living / dinning / kitchen combo room, portch and driveway, 4 shade trees protect from sun. Go to beach 3 times a week, use the complex swimming pool, AC 6 hours at night....cost 22,000THB

BKK: Live in small condo - small bedroom, small separate toilet and shower, small living / dinning room, small kitchen and a very small kitchen sink, balcony with washing machine. Use the complex swimming pool, AC 6 hours at night - condo faces the sun most of the day. Superior bus service, close to 5 malls and 3 outdoor markets, NO motorcycle....cost ( had to get 5,000THB additional out of bank ) ...35,000THB

Hahaha real interesting experiment you did there and certainly most helpful for me too! 

Im quite surprised there is a disparity of 13000 baht though. I was expecting it to be much closer.
For 2 person 35k baht is fairly reasonable inclusive of rental, but that being said it was really somewhat on a shoestring budget in terms of personal well-being.

I would suppose if lodging cost is not involved, 30-40k baht would enable one to live comfortably.

18 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Hopefully you are making reasonably good money at this point in your life and have a developed saving/investing discipline.  Where are you coming out of?  You mentioned it was nearby, only a few hours from Thailand... but has no old age pension system.

To the passive income talking point, in broad strokes, the portion of my portfolio for passive income is about 1/2 million USD, which produces a fairly consistent $2,200 per month.  Mid-cap, medium risk/growth.

I have other passive income, so to the cost of living question, without any loans/debts/kids/ex-wives, etc. and not including big ticket purchases or long trips abroad, Mrs and I live a comfortable life here on about $2,400 a month.  Sometimes a bit more, sometimes bit less... usually the former, not the latter.  :saai:

Unfortunately to say, I am not. Tried out some business and it failed so now im starting from zero again =(. I'm from Singapore and we do have a "savings scheme" but its kinda complicated. Basically this COMPULSORY saving scheme forces you to deposit 20% of your wage to a government account called Central Provident Fund (CPF for short). Your employer also has to make contributions for you and its also about 20% thereabouts and the % contribution from them will gradually fall as you age. Basically the CPF you have available when you retire varies since its dependent on your base wages while you were working, and also the balance left after purchasing a government-developed apartment (we call them HDB flat).

The catch is you wont start receiving your money in the CPF until you reach retirement age (I think its 67 years old now? the ceiling has constantly been pushed up so I cant really recall anymore) and you can only receive them in monthly payments based on a formula of how much you have left over how many years its expected to payout. There is no one-time withdrawal of full amounts. I hope I have explained the system in the least complicated way possible.

I'd say to reach a passive income of USD 2,200 in Singapore is not entirely difficult bu its also an amount not many people achieve. Due to our high cost of living, theres really not much left behind to do anything else.

1 hour ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

My rent is 78K. Its the cost of living in a good area in a new shiny new two bed apartment. People have different needs. I know many who do pay more than that, and could pay well in excess of it if they wanted. Its not crazy at all. Different people value different things.

Living in Singapore you don't realize how expensive it's gotten till you stay elsewhere.

I arrived in chiangmai last week for a year's stay. Quite thankful it's off season. Your lease pricing will be higher if you start in October.

So far, my studio costs 5200 with weekly cleaning. There's a gym but no pool. It's 5 min from Kad and 10 to Maya.

The bike costs 2500 a month with petrol 100 a week.

Pool at a nearby hotel with breakfast buffet is 180 but twice a week.

I'm targeting spending at 25k a month but suspect it'll be nearer 30k.

15 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I lived here for several months on 6 baht a day back in the early 80,s, which bought me 2 packets of Mama Noodles, but I would not recommend it to anyone. Things have become better since then !

Hahahahahahha you certainly made my day! (sorry for laughing at your plight but I cant imagine doing the same) 

Glad to hear that Thailand has been kinder to you since then! (vastly I assume!)