rain, rain, rain

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always used to come end of May and start of June. It tended to rain more at the start of June, but would tend to be near dawn and dusk; very heavy but brief. 

I remember watching the start of the 2010 World Cup in the old World of Sport bar on Naklua Rd. There was an almighty thunderstorm for about half an hour that took out the power for a few minutes. 

I have witnessed some belters upcountry, where it is often welcomed after prolonged dry weather.

So much water was needlessly wasted during Songkran; so it is probably no bad thing to get a bit extra now.

23 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I thought when I left home that was the end of small talk about the weather.

Too many of us Brits here for that to die out completely.

I have never seen this much rain in May, which has normally been toward the last part of the hot season!  This is not the start of the recognized rainy (SW Monsoon) season - recent rain has come from the east or southeast. The climate changes quite a bit here every year now.

53 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

The climate changes not only here, but practically everywhere, except Washington DC under President Trump. Climate change according to Trump is fake news. Why not ask him to travel to the North Pole ( he could possibly build a hotel there...), or to some islands , which may or may not disappear in years to come.

OP was about Pattaya weather! I am quite aware of global climate change. You ask Donald, if you can get through.

Songkran started as and still is the celebration of the start of the rainy season. We have just been in a cyclic drought period pretty much Worldwide for some years. This is not a lot of rain. Enjoy this as the food basket of Thai agriculture is thirsty. Apparently you have never seen serious rain as in Panama.

10 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Songkran started as and still is the celebration of the start of the rainy season. We have just been in a cyclic drought period pretty much Worldwide for some years. This is not a lot of rain. Enjoy this as the food basket of Thai agriculture is thirsty. Apparently you have never seen serious rain as in Panama.

Songkran marks the beginning of the traditional Thai New Year, not the rainy season. When the seasonal weather was stable up to about 20 years ago, April and early May used to feature very brief thundershowers, typically in the hot mid-afternoon period. Otherwise it was the hottest time of year with blue skies.

What has been the recognized rainy (or southwest monsoon) season prevailed over most of Thailand from mid-May to mid-October, except the south where the season is extended. In recent years the onset of the monsoon has been delayed several times and the monsoons themselves have been mostly weaker. although often extending into November.

The OP is about Pattaya in early May, not Panama. I have seen serious tropical rainfall all over the world, thanks. 

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Rain where ? Few hours only. You call this rain ?

Short but heavy rainshowers  are the norm in Pattaya.

Same on the islands. I loved sitting on the balcony watching the cliffs disappear as the storm grew heavier, then reappearing as it passed over. Only lasted a couple of hours at most and then it was sunny again.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Has anyone that has been in Pattaya more than a couple of years seen this much rain in May before?

I don't recall more than the odd day now and then, but this is several days in a row.

yes, in may 2006 we had rain at least every other day.

Since the bad storms in 2011, the seasons have gone into free-for-all mode.  Before then, you could almost set your watch by the rainy season.  This year has been the worst for rain and wind; I can't remember it being so windy as it has been the past few months.

About 10 years ago, I lived in Samut Prakarn.  The house had an upstairs patio area.  When it rained, I would be on the patio, wearing a pair of shorts, and a beer in one hand.  The neighbours thought I was round the twist, but I used to love it.  The only thing I miss about England, apart from family, is the rain.  I would even love to wake-up one morning, and have to scrape the ice from the windscreen, but there's more chance of the Red Bull case being concluded.

Now, I wash the car when it rains, saves me from rinsing it off.  One of the neighbours took a photo of me washing the car in the rain, so I gave him a moonie.  I'm waiting for him to post it on facebook, so I can have him for defamation; ****in pervert.

38 minutes ago, Fallangpakwan said:

In my 36 years working mainly in Bangkok/Chonburi/Rayong area cannot recall the rain and regular thunderstorms we have been having in these last 2 months; always the odd bit here and there  but not like this.

Thanks for the backup. Thought I was on my own again! 

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I thought when I left home that was the end of small talk about the weather.

the weather is like the Thai driver in front of you......

you never know what he will do .....but it will sure be a surprise

In the 16 y i live here..........

i saw a rain season where it rained 5 days in six months..........

also some years where it rained nearly every day from april till november.....

Some tips: if you wash your car ....it will rain next day (even in januari)

if you have a party outdoors with a grilled pig.....watch the sky !!!( new years eve no exception)

never take the rain suit out of you motorcycle......you will regret it. 

In 2011 the rainy season started in March and by the middle of the year the supply chain was starting to break down. Supermarket shelves were virtually empty of canned and bottled goods, particularly beer. My nephew came over from Canada and we couldn't get into Bangkok for flooding. Don Muang was closed down and a large percentage of the country was under water.

Is this year going the same way? Its certainly not normal. I have been here Dec/Jan for nearly 20 years and have never known it rain so much in January.

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

I am sorry but the rain is our fault  ,if i water the garden ,it rains ,if the wife washes the car it rains , God is watching and he has a beef with me .:saai:

i love rain! can i make an arrangement with you and your wife to give the car a wash on odd days and you water the garden on even days?

2 hours ago, Naam said:

i love rain! can i make an arrangement with you and your wife to give the car a wash on odd days and you water the garden on even days?

I have spoken to him , and asked can he space the downpours out a bit , but he seems to delight in just sending it day after day at the moment and the garden is getting to much , i don't know what it is ,but i've pissed him off big time i reckon .

and its pouring down again .

20 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I have spoken to him , and asked can he space the downpours out a bit , but he seems to delight in just sending it day after day at the moment and the garden is getting to much , i don't know what it is ,but i've pissed him off big time i reckon .

and its pouring down again .

i don't want to be unreasonable pertaining to the amount of rain. heavy cloud cover and a short drizzle every two hours would make me more than happy.