Pattaya Pedestrian tunnels

Destiny1990

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well the 150 meter vehicle tunnel on sukumvit begins to look solid so then a 8-10 meters pedestrians only  tunnel cant be more complicated right?

The tunnel on Suk is at the top of a hill. The entrance to WS is virtually at sea level.

Have you not seen that area when it rains hard? The whole road is under 2 feet or more of water. Put a tunnel there and it will fill up in seconds.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The tunnel on Suk is at the top of a hill. The entrance to WS is virtually at sea level.

Have you not seen that area when it rains hard? The whole road is under 2 feet or more of water. Put a tunnel there and it will fill up in seconds.

Well the Underground  parking garage of the royal garden mall seems to stay dry so why cant a tiny pedestrian tunnel not be?

Stupid idea in time when tourists decline to come to Pattaya every week. Just spent some time with friends in Pattaya and their just closing businesses one by one.....

This town is slowly dying ...

Thanks to all good media advertisement and government regulations  and many other things  they done it to "clean" Pattaya.

Yes, keep cleaning...... but many people also lost work ..

Half of my farangs friends already in different countries ...They 'll never return .

We are the one who keep funding this country for ages with foreign currency.....

Now  we do not care... about your "tunnel with no light on the other end"...

Edited by gigman

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well the Underground  parking garage of the royal garden mall seems to stay dry so why cant a tiny pedestrian tunnel not be?

There is a raised lip between the car park and the road, and that part of the road doesnt flood as much.

:sleepy:

Think again, as to why the tunnel is two months behind. Sure there are many rumors one of them is the wiring in the tunnel ceiling was eaten away guess by what. Plus it is shorter if you use the top portion?

Edited by thailand49

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

You do know that a few years ago they spent 125 million baht in putting cross walks with light control on Beach Road and through out the City, that no one uses today or rarely?

When it comes to the walkway,  at the Beergarden or Bend?  take a look at the distant on both sides, who is going to give up the land to even provide a decent stretch to build one?  Where is the entrances/Exit going to be?  Then due to the distant, the stairs got to be a steep drop. Personally, the main reason Beach road, floating is due to the small drains used, they can't dig deep to put larger one is they have no idea what is below the surface?

34 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

:sleepy:

Think again, as to why the tunnel is two months behind.

Not really behind, in fact arguably a bit early:

On 2/10/2016 at 0:03 PM, NanLaew said:

Depending who was talking at the time, the tunnel had a projected construction time of 27 months to 3 years when it started in Q4 of 2014.

And in fact our TVF experts had predicted a much longer completion time, so this imminent opening comes as a complete shock.:w00t:

On 2/28/2016 at 0:32 PM, Seizetheday said:

I don't think anyone really believes it's going to be finished on time. I'd be surprised if it's finished within 5 years.

And we need to avoid trollish rumor mongering like this:

Sure there are many rumors one of them is the wiring in the tunnel ceiling was eaten away guess by what.

Reason for the recent delay has already been given in another thread, having to do w/ the pedestrian bridge (wheelchair access) and a disgruntled pawnshop owner.

3 hours ago, gigman said:

Stupid idea in time when tourists decline to come to Pattaya every week. Just spent some time with friends in Pattaya and their just closing businesses one by one.....

This town is slowly dying ...

Thanks to all good media advertisement and government regulations  and many other things  they done it to "clean" Pattaya.

Yes, keep cleaning...... but many people also lost work ..

Half of my farangs friends already in different countries ...They 'll never return .

We are the one who keep funding this country for ages with foreign currency.....

Now  we do not care... about your "tunnel with no light on the other end"...

Reading your post i think its something else that is slowely dying certainly not Pattaya.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Not really behind, in fact arguably a bit early:

And in fact our TVF experts had predicted a much longer completion time, so this imminent opening comes as a complete shock.:w00t:

And we need to avoid trollish rumor mongering like this:

Reason for the recent delay has already been given in another thread, having to do w/ the pedestrian bridge (wheelchair access) and a disgruntled pawnshop owner.

Wrong, you must have missed the articles in the Pattaya Mail, along with all the pictures.  The deadline was suppose to be end of February,  the contractor claim the delay was due to the City having them install a elevator at the pedestrian overpass. Then just before Songkran, they said they were going to open it and then after close it to finish the work,  Photo along with story had picture of the electrical inside the tunnel as for not doing this during Songkran.

To me why all the excused, nothing here is ever done on time, I've gotten use to it?  Mai Pen Rai is the saying.  Like the Thais have accepted it everything in due time?

Still waiting for them to finish Soi Siam Country,  was told end of March, what time is it now?  Big new sink hole, outside the Wanasin Market, other end near Soi 13, again new sinkhole,  Soi 21, again new sink hole? 

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

Wrong, you must have missed the articles in the Pattaya Mail, along with all the pictures.  The deadline was suppose to be end of February,  the contractor claim the delay was due to the City having them install a elevator at the pedestrian overpass. Then just before Songkran, they said they were going to open it and then after close it to finish the work,  Photo along with story had picture of the electrical inside the tunnel as for not doing this during Songkran.

I know all about the "hopeful" revised deadlines that were earlier than the original plan. They were trying to rush things then but as is often the case better safe than sorry. You don't really have a point.

To me why all the excused, nothing here is ever done on time, I've gotten use to it?  Mai Pen Rai is the saying.  Like the Thais have accepted it everything in due time?

Still waiting for them to finish Soi Siam Country,  was told end of March, what time is it now?  Big new sink hole, outside the Wanasin Market, other end near Soi 13, again new sinkhole,  Soi 21, again new sink hole? 

Irrelevant off topic rant showing your real purpose is merely to bash.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

I know all about the "hopeful" revised deadlines that were earlier than the original plan. They were trying to rush things then but as is often the case better safe than sorry. You don't really have a point.

Irrelevant off topic rant showing your real purpose is merely to bash.

<REMOVED>

First this thread was started and continue as being humorous and somewhat of a joke.  Then you came and quoted my responses basically turning it into a more serious topic. If you go back and read your own responses to me I don't see how you can turn the conversation into bashing and no relevant?

You first stated the tunnel was on time, then when I corrected your statement you stated " hopeful  revised deadlines "   what is it?  because that is a contradiction to your original statement on time?

I can agree or disagree but it seem in your own words a admission your statement to be incorrect and directly opposite to the Thai city officials who stated the reason for the delay. Would you not consider this to be a fact.

So if you are mistaken let it go, why bash me and say my views are bashing Thais and not relevant when in fact the subject got off topic because of you and the majority of the responses are in fact bashing Thais officials here.

Edited by CharlieH
Comment on moderation removed as per rule 10.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

First this thread was started and continue as being humorous and somewhat of a joke.  Then you came and quoted my responses basically turning it into a more serious topic.

Oh, well, you should have indicated you were joking. We have smilies for that purpose. I use them frequently myself.

If you go back and read your own responses to me I don't see how you can turn the conversation into bashing and no relevant?

Because fixing sinkholes is entirely off topic from both Pattaya pedestrian tunnels and The Tunnel. You may perceive the differences in spelling: s-i-n-k-h-o-l-e vs t-u-n-n-e-l. See that? Where is the schedule you were promised for fixing the sinkholes? Let's see that schedule in print, man.

And responsibilities for sinkholes and The Tunnel are probably delegated differently. ;) Since off topic and irrelevant, there's no purpose to bring them up except to look for reasons to bash. And here's the bash against Thais you wanted to get out: all the excused, nothing here is ever done on time. NOTHING? Nonsense.

You first stated the tunnel was on time, then when I corrected your statement you stated " hopeful  revised deadlines "   what is it?  because that is a contradiction to your original statement on time?

No. Because the firm deadline was already announced as 4Q. They'd hoped to finish earlier than that, and gave what amounts to proposed dates, but announcing a hope to finish earlier in no way abrogated the original schedule, which they are well on track to meet, despite the obstacles. Hence you don't really have a point. If they announced a date to finish a pedestrian tunnel, then thought they might finish it earlier, but didn't, so what. Suppose it were a legal contract. Could they be sued for not finishing earlier than originally promised? No.

So if you are mistaken let it go, why bash me and say my views are bashing Thais and not relevant when in fact the subject got off topic because of you and the majority of the responses are in fact bashing Thais officials here.

As I'm not mistaken, I've nothing to let go of, you see. You've mistaken identifying the purpose of bringing up irrelevancy for bashing you. Nobody told you to talk about sinkholes, not me anyway; so it's probably best to learn how take responsibility for yourself. A lot of posts do bash Thai officials here, true. Happy now?

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Usually tunnels have a observation camera and sufficient lights even in the 8 meter tunnels.look if u so scared getting robbed just stay in u room forever and lock u door geezer.

Beach road already has pedestrian traffic lights. They don't work because the authorities turned them off. What chance your cameras would actually work?

I don't need to stay in my room, but I would never use a tunnel. Prefer to take my chances with the traffic.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Beach road already has pedestrian traffic lights. They don't work because the authorities turned them off. What chance your cameras would actually work?

I don't need to stay in my room, but I would never use a tunnel. Prefer to take my chances with the traffic.

Sorry for u but once the pedestrian tunnels are there than anyone crossing the road there and are not using them and thus blocking the traffic gonna probably  be fined.?.anyway they will fence it of so pedestrians cant cross!

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Oh, well, you should have indicated you were joking. We have smilies for that purpose. I use them frequently myself.

Because fixing sinkholes is entirely off topic from both Pattaya pedestrian tunnels and The Tunnel. You may perceive the differences in spelling: s-i-n-k-h-o-l-e vs t-u-n-n-e-l. See that? Where is the schedule you were promised for fixing the sinkholes? Let's see that schedule in print, man.

And responsibilities for sinkholes and The Tunnel are probably delegated differently. ;) Since off topic and irrelevant, there's no purpose to bring them up except to look for reasons to bash. And here's the bash against Thais you wanted to get out: all the excused, nothing here is ever done on time. NOTHING? Nonsense.

No. Because the firm deadline was already announced as 4Q. They'd hoped to finish earlier than that, and gave what amounts to proposed dates, but announcing a hope to finish earlier in no way abrogated the original schedule, which they are well on track to meet, despite the obstacles. Hence you don't really have a point. If they announced a date to finish a pedestrian tunnel, then thought they might finish it earlier, but didn't, so what. Suppose it were a legal contract. Could they be sued for not finishing earlier than originally promised? No.

As I'm not mistaken, I've nothing to let go of, you see. You've mistaken identifying the purpose of bringing up irrelevancy for bashing you. Nobody told you to talk about sinkholes, not me anyway; so it's probably best to learn how take responsibility for yourself. A lot of posts do bash Thai officials here, true. Happy now?

Last,  you again are so off topic it isn't funny, you never ever address what started things in the first place, instead divert the conversation to cover for your own shortcomings.  Since I'm not allow to speak or response to you freely due to a complaint I will stop and allow the topic to continue from it's original intent. 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sorry for u but once the pedestrian tunnels are there than anyone crossing the road there and are not using them and thus blocking the traffic gonna probably  be fined.?.anyway they will fence it of so pedestrians cant cross!

I won't be holding my breath for that to happen 555555555555555.

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Last,  you again are so off topic it isn't funny, you never ever address what started things in the first place, instead divert the conversation to cover for your own shortcomings.

I merely addressed your excursion into The Tunnel & sinkholes. You may continue to think that sinkholes are on topic. ;)

Since I'm not allow to speak or response to you freely due to a complaint I will stop and allow the topic to continue from it's original intent. 

Excellent idea. If I have to follow the forum rules, then so do you. It's only fair.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:51 PM, Destiny1990 said:

because most construction crews and those doing plumbing do not know what they are doing. 

3 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

because most construction crews and those doing plumbing do not know what they are doing. 

So far every tunnel in Thailand  has been proven fully water proof so for a pedestrian tunnels it should be the same.

On 14/05/2017 at 9:14 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Okay and why they cant make a raised lip or eyebrow for some pedestrian tunnels?

They could if they had the space. A tunnel at that corner would need to be three metres or more below the surface, and you would need perhaps a half-metre lip at the entrance. If you look at the MRT stations in Bangkok (similar problem) the lip is more than one metre.

At that corner there simply isnt enough room to have steps going up half a metre then down three metres on both sides. The entrances to the tunnel would end up quite a long way from where they are needed, and so people would be disinclined to use them. Then you have people with bad knees, like me, who are disinclined to use any stairs. Besides which it's the stationary vehicles that cause the jams, not the people. A tunnel would not make the vehicles move on.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They could if they had the space. A tunnel at that corner would need to be three metres or more below the surface, and you would need perhaps a half-metre lip at the entrance. If you look at the MRT stations in Bangkok (similar problem) the lip is more than one metre.

At that corner there simply isnt enough room to have steps going up half a metre then down three metres on both sides. The entrances to the tunnel would end up quite a long way from where they are needed, and so people would be disinclined to use them. Then you have people with bad knees, like me, who are disinclined to use any stairs. Besides which it's the stationary vehicles that cause the jams, not the people. A tunnel would not make the vehicles move on.

Sorry to hear about your knees.Even without the parked songteaws there is non stop crossings from pedestrians and they are holding up the traffic.Anyway i sure city hall knows exact how to improve the  WS entrance area they probably just waiting for budget approval.

Wrong, you must have missed the articles in the Pattaya Mail, along with all the pictures.  The deadline was suppose to be end of February,  the contractor claim the delay was due to the City having them install a elevator at the pedestrian overpass. Then just before Songkran, they said they were going to open it and then after close it to finish the work,   

The contract was supposed to finish 1st Febuary 2017. 810 days
837,441,000 baht

1495159178341.jpg

27 minutes ago, johng said:

The contract was supposed to finish 1st Febuary 2017. 810 days
837,441,000 baht

1495159178341.jpg

So what construction delays is not specific for Thailand!what worries me more are announced construction projects that never get started and or finished those are the bad onses