People still free to ‘like’ on social media with discretion, ministry clarifies

rooster59

People still free to ‘like’ on social media with discretion, ministry clarifies

By The Nation

3476c6d522c7a45a16c90b063c566afb.jpeg

The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society has clarified that social media users were still free to “like” or share posts as long as they respected other people’s rights. 

The statement was issued on Friday following reports of a policeman being summoned as a witness last week after his Facebook account left a “like” on a message allegedly defaming a senior police officer.

The Chon Buri provincial police issued summons to Pol Sergeant Chakpong Wongchit to be a witness in the case. 

The incident sparked public concern about people’s rights, following the promulgation of the 2017 Computer Crime Act. 

The deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, Somsak Kaosuwan, said the law does not necessarily consider anyone who likes or shares sensitive content to be violating the act, and added that it would be considered on a case-by-case basis. 

He clarified that the public could still express opinions via online channels, provided their comments do not infringe on other peoples’ rights or break any laws.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315095

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-13

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He clarified that the public could still express opinions via online channels, provided their comments do not infringe on other peoples’ rights or break any laws. That leaves things a bit open for clarification  when it comes to Laws and Peoples Rights !

And how exactly is the average person supposed to know if by clicking "like" he is going to piss someone else off, or be breaking a crazy law?

I bet the entire world is laughing at these moronic clowns.

'The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society has clarified that social media users were still free to “like” or share posts as long as they respected other people’s rights'

What rights? The right to not be offended? My god, you'll have a society of children who are terrified to say anything. 

Seems to me that if you wanna go down this road, you'll have to support the poor with legal aid. This way, everyone who has their feelings hurt, can take the other person to court. We wouldn't just want the rich people suing. 

I hope this is a sign of backtracking. 

38 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

When I click the "like" button, maybe I mean

I like how  the journalist wrote the article.

Nothing evil about it.

Don't worry. They won't be going after foreigners who click like. That really would create bring them a world of trouble. 

They're simply looking for the poor and oppressed who they can make an example of. Bullies. 

Unfortunately "likes" don't carry timecodes so is it possible to "like" something that is legal one day and if that topic becomes illegal suddenly (happens a lot in Thailand) does that mean you could be charged with violating the computer/thought crimes act :huh: Safer not clicking on anything it seems. :mellow:

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

'The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society has clarified that social media users were still free to “like” or share posts as long as they respected other people’s rights'

What rights? The right to not be offended? My god, you'll have a society of children who are terrified to say anything. 

Seems to me that if you wanna go down this road, you'll have to support the poor with legal aid. This way, everyone who has their feelings hurt, can take the other person to court. We wouldn't just want the rich people suing. 

I hope this is a sign of backtracking. 

"The right to not be offended". The west chose that route a while back, the offended bus has been rammed for a long time now.

So if I like a photo with a person in a short top I can have a problem. Unfortunately FB dont have dislike buttons, then we could have disliked such a photo, but that would have put the Thai moral police in a spin. I however believe that everyone have the right to knowledge and the right to like or dislike. If I wear a short top and walk down the street everyone have the right to like or dislike my dress code. If I however wear the same clothes in my house then it becomes a private matter. If someone takes a sneaky photo of me in such clothes in my house and publish it I believe that my privacy have been violated. But then again we live in a world where logic dont count for much. 

Their gracious and generous decision to allow us rights violators to continue clicking like despite our  rights abuse records on facebook et al  is truly wonderfull and I say thank you thank you thank you most forgiving and honorable sirs for giving us a second chance. I apologize if in fact I too have violated people's rights which I know you will without fail fight everyday and work so hard to uphold for the nation. Now I feel so ashamed because I may have clicked on something that violated someones rights. Please forgive me. I didn't know until now. Now that I know what is right and wrong I shall, like you, stay on the straight and narrow never to click on something inappropriate which of course is crystal clear now thanks to your recent in depth public statement. Where would we be without the beacon of integrity and morality that is the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society guiding our nation through this stormy and treacherous time?

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And how exactly is the average person supposed to know if by clicking "like" he is going to piss someone else off, or be breaking a crazy law?

That`s a stupid question. If an average person cannot distinguish which posts are going to brass people off and those that won`t, must mean the average persons are all idiots. 

For example; if I click like to a video showing some playful adorable puppies, then that`s not going to offend anyone, but if I post or click like to a post that is demeaning to certain people or the Thai government or those in authority, then that is going to peeeese a lot of people off. I`m trying to explain this to you in the simplest way possible so you`ll understand.

Exactly this k _ _ i land ha ha , dont forget.  

Comical, as ever...
They want only "good" social media and nothing negative.
Well guys it's never going to happen. Especially while you continue doing what your doing.

images.png.3b595fcc028f74c8f5a5b39265c3cd8e.png

What about thumbs up in this forum? Surely below is not too restrictive, and can be applied to any kind of thumbs up. If you are walking down the street, looking at your phone, and you put your left hand up with your thumb extended... there are multiple counts on which they can arrest you.

Sent from my nose.

i wanted click like on your post but was afraid that i was breaking the law

Please sir, is it okay to tell my better half I love her without being sent to prison? or should I just send her emoticons/emojis that stipulate that I rather like her, but only littlebit.

Sometimes we even hold hands, but I'd never write that on a public site

Doh!

You mean they have high powered Generals that decide such stuff?  Next thing our beloved dictator will get a twitter account and send out missives. `140 chars, max max,

Moral is, if you're going to do something then do it in the back of a tuk tuk, but for goodness sake step away from the mouse button.

Edited by Shiver

42 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

That`s a stupid question. If an average person cannot distinguish which posts are going to brass people off and those that won`t, must mean the average persons are all idiots. 

For example; if I click like to a video showing some playful adorable puppies, then that`s not going to offend anyone, but if I post or click like to a post that is demeaning to certain people or the Thai government or those in authority, then that is going to peeeese a lot of people off. I`m trying to explain this to you in the simplest way possible so you`ll understand.

Replace that with 'that is going to pee a tiny group of meglomaniacs off'. This rule is not going to apply for clicking anything demeaning to 95% of Thailand's population.  But who cars about the 95%, huh?

The government is clearly backtracking now. It's hilarious how weak they are when they come up against any form of numbers. 

I have a solution.

Social media should redesign their like-buttons with an automated annotation message: "This user liked the content in a vaguely general and roundabout sense, without committing to a specific statement. The user did not intend to commit or support a criminal act, a loss of face by anyone living or having lived on this planet and its orbits up to a height of (to be determined), or even a disrespect towards a person, an idea, an animal or thing (like various lottery number foretelling logs and pebbles)."

This disclaimer should be for Thailand only, if possible.

2 minutes ago, portroyal said:

You don't like the Governement, you criticise again and again....

why don't move back to your so charming "free" countries ?

Like the Kingdom or leave.

Don't confuse a small minority of people with 'Thailand'. People are criticising the small minority, not the majority. The majority is Thailand.