The Tale of two ty250 Mono's - pic heavy

21 hours ago, papa al said:

The white frame looks very classy. 

Wow.

Yeah, i like  white too. Around 87-88 the ty's went completely white; frame, s/arm and fork legs. That was a bit too much white, but a white frame does look nicer than the earlier red.

17 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Rattley One: Bent crank?...from former piston meltdown?

# Read my lips, these cranks are from a yz450 knocking out over 3 times the power output. Bent cranks in a ty are unheard of. Unless someone pulls one out of a crank case or refits with a large hammer...

# This bottom end was fine. The small end needle roller was shagged.

# Top end noises rattle.

# Big end noises knock.

# Main bearings rumble.

# This motor also had the loose flywheel stator moving 1/4" fore and aft on the crank taper, but they do not normally make a "rattle", more a "knock".

31 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

# Read my lips, these cranks are from a yz450 knocking out over 3 times the power output. Bent cranks in a ty are unheard of. Unless someone pulls one out of a crank case or refits with a large hammer...

# This bottom end was fine. The small end needle roller was shagged.

# Top end noises rattle.

# Big end noises knock.

# Main bearings rumble.

# This motor also had the loose flywheel stator moving 1/4" fore and aft on the crank taper, but they do not normally make a "rattle", more a "knock".

Nothing is unheard of if your bike has been worked on previously by a Thai.

The probability of that is zero.

Have viewed data now from labs showing that

lithium grease is most water-resistant of available axel greases.

Not water-proof of course.

Still looking for controlled experiments results

on foam-filter oils.

Surely these corps offering $25/liter stuff have their engineers

run some simple experiments measuring this.

Maybe papa e-mail them.

Have you had problems using motor oil on foam-filters

in the past 41 years?

Tons of mechanics 

& vehicle manufacturers

over the past 50 years indicate motor-oil works fine.

papa like 2T.

or 30w.

or 10W40.

Also: having various colored seats means one can swap them out on a whim.

• Like 1

I geuss riding around on a trials bike khon dio doesnt stress air filters...
Or you could just not grasp the properties properly? Its very sticky far more than nomal oils, normal oils always build up at the bottom of the filter therefore leaving the upper part, this does not happen any where near as much with filter oils. Thens the yse of solvents so you get the correcr amount embedded. The bold colors also enable a visual confirmation...I dont need tests to tell me what ive seen and experienced...But hey why not use cooking oil then?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Or you could just not grasp the properties properly? Its very sticky far more than nomal oils, normal oils always build up at the bottom of the filter therefore leaving the upper part, this does not happen any where near as much with filter oils. Thens the yse of solvents so you get the correcr amount embedded. The bold colors also enable a visual confirmation...I dont need tests to tell me what ive seen and experienced...But hey why not use cooking oil then?

An air filter is a superfluity on a trials bike anyway.  You are never going fast enough to kick up any dust.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

An air filter is a superfluity on a trials bike anyway.  You are never going fast enough to kick up any dust.

Right. May as well eave the filter off altogether.

Just kidding.

On YouTube have seen trials bikes entered in hard enduro events.

The air filter on my TY350 gets filthy.

Same as the bike, riding gear, moustache.

The chain.

Filthy.

Can't explain it.

Here is the authentic Yamaha way.

Appropriate for TY250.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, papa al said:

Right. May as well eave the filter off altogether.

Just kidding.

On YouTube have seen trials bikes entered in hard enduro events.

The air filter on my TY350 gets filthy.

Same as the bike, riding gear, moustache.

The chain.

Filthy.

Can't explain it.

Here is the authentic Yamaha way.

Appropriate for TY250.

Have spoke to a few of your former flames in Patts.  

Yep...confirmed...Pappa is a dirty old man...

23 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

White seat.

Yeah, thanx, i honestly never thought of that. White would look well on 'Ol Blu.

However, both bikes are having the same colour seat.

By the way, those speed block tank decals are the MK II version. We are now on MK IV.... and counting....

20170521_115512.thumb.jpg.584ba541e4f87e032ef3842b1d28ccfc.jpg20170521_115526.thumb.jpg.3a590ff994998f85eacd3657cc943cb3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Have read canola oil is real good,

'cept insects may like to eat it.

Yeah i read that too on one of the American dirt bike forums when i was searching for answers. Funnily enough, all the different options were on enduro type, desert racing cross off road sites, where obviously people are changing/cleaning filters daily over a weekend. The trials sites i found were pretty much 100% of sticking the right stuff in with no substitutes.

The Yamaha 85 workshop manual says filter oil only.

My 70's Ossa manual says motor oil....

Hell, i checked, this stuff retails at $17.99 in the States, it's 990 baht a bottle here, that aint gonna break the bank, i doubt i'll use a liter in a year.

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah i read that too on one of the American dirt bike forums when i was searching for answers. Funnily enough, all the different options were on enduro type, desert racing cross off road sites, where obviously people are changing/cleaning filters daily over a weekend. The trials sites i found were pretty much 100% of sticking the right stuff in with no substitutes.

Hell, i checked, this stuff retails at $17.99 in the States, it's 990 baht a bottle here, that aint gonna break the bank, i doubt i'll use a liter in a year.

Pick up two bottles and you can onsell one to Pappa.

2 minutes ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Pick up two bottles and you can onsell one to Pappa.

I'm sure there are more retail establishments in Pattaya selling the stuff, than up here in Udon.

17 minutes ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

You and Pappa al are so serious.  If you knew me in person you would know I am a (little) bit famous for riding bikes...

Yeah, but this is an internet forum dude. We are not sitting round a table face to face having a few beers.

So, yeah, i don't know you in person. But you are welcome round for a cup of tea. Or beer.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, but this is an internet forum dude. We are not sitting round a table face to face having a few beers.

So, yeah, i don't know you in person. But you are welcome round for a cup of tea. Or beer.

I might PM you if/when I am next up your way.  Do you fancy a ride UT-Muk-NakP-NongK-UT?

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, thanx, i honestly never thought of that. White would look well on 'Ol Blu.

However, both bikes are having the same colour seat.

By the way, those speed block tank decals are the MK II version. We are now on MK IV.... and counting....

20170521_115512.thumb.jpg.584ba541e4f87e032ef3842b1d28ccfc.jpg20170521_115526.thumb.jpg.3a590ff994998f85eacd3657cc943cb3.jpg

having looked at the blue bike you have put together two very nice bikes

• Like 2

18 hours ago, moe666 said:

having looked at the blue bike you have put together two very nice bikes

Thank you.

As i get older, i enjoy building bikes and making stuff for them as much as i do riding them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

I might PM you if/when I am next up your way.  Do you fancy a ride UT-Muk-NakP-NongK-UT?

Can do. Post rainy season.

Done that route a couple of times on a bike and several times in a truck. Heading west to Loei and onwards is, IMO a better ride.

I'm a bit of a weirdo, i have few true proper friends, the ones i do have, i hold very dear, and we are very close. Trust them with my life etc. I generally keep myself to myself, and don't suffer fools gladly.

Also comes down to what bike you ride and hence if i'd ride with you. An air cooled Monster is fine, a 1200 water cooled one is not. Ditto sportsbikes or pretty much most multis. Anything old, air cooled, with a bit of class is a bonus.

We may get on like a house on fire, i may want to beat the crap out of you by the end of the day.

No offence intended.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yep when to right amount is applied its not much and so lasts and lasts, I often wring some back into the bottle if I've applied to much

now as far as papa is concerned:

Believe me i've tried everything possible, in an effort to cut costs, but there is simply no substitute for my use.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 1:00 PM, kaorop said:

Good points.

Bought a gallon of Belray 2T oil for the TY350 in Colorado.

It is purple and really viscous & sticky.

Like molasses in the cool/cold mountain temps.

Used it as the foam-filter oil too.

Cut it with gasoline to apply mo bedda.

Used excess onto rag for dressing 

tools and wheelbarrow handles.

Also, The PTT 2T oil initially bought here

papa used to refinish old dessicated wood cabinets.

Worked great.

Better than linseed oil.

Pretty quick drying

and didn't drip off after that.

Not tacky when dried.

Low viscosity, like 10 or 20.

So prolly not optimal for filters.

In theory.