Two women injured as motorbike hits pickup head-on on Patong Hill

webfact

Two women injured as motorbike hits pickup head-on on Patong Hill

Eakkapop Thongtub

1494827883_1-org.jpg

Phuket rescue workers at the scene on Patong Hill this morning. Photo: Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation

PHUKET: -- Two women were rushed to hospital this morning after the motorbike they were riding ploughed head-on into a fully loaded pickup truck heading up Patong Hill.

The women were heading eastbound down the steep descent toward Kathu when their motorbike struck the front of a Toyota pickup truck heading up the hill at about 6:30am, reported Kusoldharm rescue workers.

The accident occurred in front of the Patong City sign popular with tourists for taking souvenir photos.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-women-injured-as-motorbike-hits-pickup-head-on-on-patong-hill-62157.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-15

There is a video(dash cam from the pickup truck) and graphic photos in the Thai news.  The ladies clearly were in the wrong lane and hit the pickup head-on.  There was nothing the pickup driver could of done to avoid it.  Luckily he had a dash cam. 

1 hour ago, YaiJung said:

There is a video(dash cam from the pickup truck) and graphic photos in the Thai news.  The ladies clearly were in the wrong lane and hit the pickup head-on.  There was nothing the pickup driver could of done to avoid it.  Luckily he had a dash cam. 

How dare you let the truth get in the way of Armchair CSIs and their theories! Shame on you. :shock1:

I went past around 0900, there was still crap all over the lane and a solitary traffic cone to warn other motorists.

As an aside there were at least 6 'China buses' creaking up the hill before the 9am cutofff and people were cutting that bend as usual. It pst me off when one clapped out bus was trying to chug past another, blocking both lanes, as usual.

Edited by Psimbo

3 hours ago, YaiJung said:

That's why we have dash cameras in our cars.

4 hours ago, YaiJung said:

Link please -  I searched but not find ..... yet.

6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Motorbikes typically stay left under braking going down the hill.  She looks to be on the uphill side of the road.

when their motorbike struck the front of a Toyota pickup truck heading up the hill

They were obviously going downhill.

22 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Link please -  I searched but not find ..... yet.

This one (somewhat graphic).

They were on the wrong side and speeding like you should not do except you are a professional racer. Too fast and loosing control in the curve swerving over the continuous yellow line.

NOTHING to blame on the pickup driver.

EDIT: sorry, "injured". I pronounced them dead already.

That must be heavy injuries.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, tomwct said:

The ladies were going home after a rough night of drinking.

At least hard to find an explanation why they should ride at 6:30 AM in terrible weather.

No sunrise to watch I guess.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

At least hard to find an explanation why they should ride at 6:30 AM in terrible weather.

No sunrise to watch I guess.

Weather not so bad.  Just no 'customers' to service. Or maybe just a short time gig and off home.

Just now, LivinginKata said:

Weather not so bad.  Just no 'customers' to service. Or maybe just a short time gig and off home.

You are right. Don't know where I saw the terrible weather (maybe just due to the "dull" video).

All looks dry.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

the pickup is clearly on the wrong side of the road, the motorbike could have been passing a slow moving lorry in low gear 

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.  I drive that hill often.  2 lanes uphill, one lane down hill.  Bike out of control - watch the video.  End of armchair detectives story .... period.

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

They were obviously going downhill.

yes and the truck was obviously on the wrong side of the road as I have said already

and for the person that made the smart comment..............you are obviously not from Phuket....why should that make a difference, I have been to Phuket and all over Thailand

If it was up to me based on the horrendous track record and horrendous death toll on Phuket roads I would impose an absolute  strict 30kph speed limit on the whole Island with extreme penalties for those that  don't conform.....there are just too many people losing their lives on the island, it has got to be the worst in Thailand by a country mile

30kmph all day every where no exceptions strictly enforced  .......countless lives saved and an added 10mins to anyones journey 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

yes and the truck was obviously on the wrong side of the road as I have said already

and for the person that made the smart comment..............you are obviously not from Phuket....why should that make a difference, I have been to Phuket and all over Thailand

If it was up to me based on the horrendous track record and horrendous death toll on Phuket roads I would impose an absolute  strict 30kph speed limit on the whole Island with extreme penalties for those that  don't conform.....there are just too many people losing their lives on the island, it has got to be the worst in Thailand by a country mile

30kmph all day every where no exceptions strictly enforced  .......countless lives saved and an added 10mins to anyones journey 

it makes a different, 2 lane up hill, 1 down hill

as LIK said watch the video, no blame for the pick up driver

5 hours ago, smedly said:

How can the truck be on the wrong side of the road? {now have video proof that it was not}

You do understand the meaning of the solid yellow line divider i presume, same meaning as 'all over Thailand"

Though mostly ignored like all safety  advisory aids it is still there in plain sight.

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This one (somewhat graphic).

They were on the wrong side and speeding like you should not do except you are a professional racer. Too fast and loosing control in the curve swerving over the continuous yellow line.

NOTHING to blame on the pickup driver.

EDIT: sorry, "injured". I pronounced them dead already.

That must be heavy injuries.

Good luck.

Stupid girls

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Truck on the wrong side?

Sorry, but either new monitor or new glasses needed.

Two lanes up, one lane down divided by a continuous yellow line.

What's in question here?

Exactly correct, I drive that road often. going down one lane, going up hill 2 lanes.  Ladies looks like going far too fast and chatting, could not make the left hand bend, if they made that bend then next sharper right hand bend would has seen them off the road, not to mention the next sharp left bend.  All downhill trafic has to slow down to navigate those 3 bends safely.

43 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Freeze the clip at 17 seconds, both the girls are laughing like its a day out at the beach...

And with no crash helmets too ...guess they weren't needed at the beach...

14 hours ago, smedly said:

I would not be surprised that most of those who got themselves into driving troubles are from Esarn and the Central Plains with little experience driving in mountainous terrain.