Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe - source

webfact

52 minutes ago, Trouble said:

This has now been news for two days.  Parts of some memo supposedly written by Comey and read over the phone to a news reporter.  Everyone in a panic like it is the end of the world.  Let the Congressional investigators get the memo and let's see what it says, in it entirety. Then hopefully Comey can comment about it and we can make a judgement.  Until then it's all just a way to perpetuate the daily news cycle. Seems like it will all boil down to whether Trump comments, if made, were made in such a way the he hoped by firing Flynn that the issue would not damage Flynn too much and that the FBI could "let it go" or whether Trump asked Comey directly to stop the investigation.  Big difference to me. 

What I can't understand is why the Flynn investigation is taking so long.  It seems there are over 100 FBI agents working full time for over two months on this and as yet they seem no closer to ending the investigation.  How much time does it take for them to determine Flynn's business activities and see what he was doing. He did have a business and had every right to engage with Russia and Turkey. Seems like there was no secret about this.  Does not seem like this issue is his association with the Russians, but possible failure to disclose receiving funds for speaking engagements which was no secret to begin with. Not like he was trying to hide anything.  Everyone in the DIA seemed to know he had the engagements so what's the big issue? Either he did disclose or didn't. It was either intentional or inadvertent but certainly not any big secret from those in the know. How many times could he have travelled and consulted with the Russians, Turks, etc.  Seems like the work done for the Turks was not as extensive and some reports are trying to make it.  

Its the same with the alleged Russian intervention in our election. Just how long is it going to take to do the investigation and come to some kind of conclusion?  First off, if people in the DNC and the Clinton campaign had been honest stewards of the election process and not written emails showing their bias and ill conceived strategy then the Russians, if it was them, would have had nothing to give to Wikileaks. When people are honest there are no back stories.  Rather than the press continuing to fire the flames for viewership/readership ratings, they should be asking the Senate, House, and FBI when they will complete the investigations and why it is taking so long.  It's kind of pathetic that three bodies are all conducting the same investigation and none of them can make any headway after months and months.  

By the time Haldeman had resigned during Watergate it was another 15 months before Nixon was finished. This will take at least as long to find the real story.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I don't know if Comey's memo is the smoking gun because if Trump had asked him directly to stop investigation he is required to report that to Justice dept which he did not. But I think it establishes a troubling pattern of behavior and thinking which is why Comey documented it. Trump will likely skate on the issue but this neuters him and his agenda for the next year at least. I think some resignations soon to come and Flynn likely to be the only man hung out to dry but later pardoned by Trump anyway. But when 2018 rolls around the situation may dramatically change. It's all about Congressional control at this point IMHO.

Flynn has already asked immunity. He ain't going down to protect Trump. 

1 minute ago, pegman said:

Flynn has already asked immunity. He ain't going down to protect Trump. 

I doubt they will grant him immunity because I don't think he knows anything about Trump's backroom dealings with Russia (if they exist). But Trump will without a doubt pardon anyone involved while he is in office. The key is 2018...but I doubt the DEMS can pull it off....they may win a fe w seats but 25 years of poor management has left them hapless during redistricting.

It's not the original crime(s), it's the cover up.

Tony Schwartz has an interesting op-ed piece...

I wrote ‘The Art of the Deal’ with Trump. His self-sabotage is rooted in his past.

Why does President Trump behave in the dangerous and seemingly self-destructive ways he does?

Three decades ago, I spent nearly a year hanging around Trump to write his first book, “The Art of the Deal,” and got to know him very well. I spent hundreds of hours listening to him, watching him in action and interviewing him about his life. To me, none of what he has said or done over the past four months as president comes as a surprise.

*Edited for Fair Use*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/05/16/i-wrote-the-art-of-the-deal-with-trump-his-self-sabotage-is-rooted-in-his-past/?utm_term=.6977ecd422f1

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use

Another Flynn bombshell...

Trump Team Knew Flynn Was Under Investigation Before He Came to White House

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn told President Trump’s transition team weeks before the inauguration that he was under federal investigation for secretly working as a paid lobbyist for Turkey during the campaign, according to two people familiar with the case.

Despite this warning, which came about a month after the Justice Department notified Mr. Flynn of the inquiry, Mr. Trump made Mr. Flynn his national security adviser. The job gave Mr. Flynn access to the president and nearly every secret held by American intelligence agencies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-national-security-adviser.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Calls Grow in Congress for Comey to Testify

"WASHINGTON — Fallout from President Donald Trump's alleged attempt to meddle in the investigation into a former White House aide played out on Capitol Hill Wednesday with a growing chorus of elected officials calling for former FBI Director James Comey to testify on Capitol Hill while talk of possible impeachment seeped into the conversation."

"And as Republicans and Democrats continued to debate the need for outside oversight of the Russia probe, Justice Department officials said late in the day that Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has appointed former FBI Director Bob Mueller as special counsel overseeing the investigation."

"Signaling a shift among Republicans earlier Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a shrewd tactician who usually stays above the fray, called for Comey to testify Wednesday."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/paul-ryan-we-need-facts-russia-investigation-n760756

And yet ANOTHER Flynn bombshell...

Flynn stopped military plan Turkey opposed – after being paid as its agent

One of the Trump administration’s first decisions about the fight against the Islamic State was made by Michael Flynn weeks before he was fired – and it conformed to the wishes of Turkey, whose interests, unbeknownst to anyone in Washington, he’d been paid more than $500,000 to represent.

The decision came 10 days before Donald Trump had been sworn in as president, in a conversation with President Barack Obama’s national security adviser, Susan Rice, who had explained the Pentagon’s plan to retake the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa with Syrian Kurdish forces whom the Pentagon considered the U.S.’s most effective military partners. Obama’s national security team had decided to ask for Trump’s sign-off, since the plan would all but certainly be executed after Trump had become president.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article151149647.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

3 hours ago, Trouble said:

What I can't understand is why the Flynn investigation is taking so long.  It seems there are over 100 FBI agents working full time for over two months on this and as yet they seem no closer to ending the investigation.  How much time does it take for them to determine Flynn's business activities and see what he was doing. He did have a business and had every right to engage with Russia and Turkey. Seems like there was no secret about this.  Does not seem like this issue is his association with the Russians, but possible failure to disclose receiving funds for speaking engagements which was no secret to begin with. Not like he was trying to hide anything.  Everyone in the DIA seemed to know he had the engagements so what's the big issue? Either he did disclose or didn't. It was either intentional or inadvertent but certainly not any big secret from those in the know. How many times could he have travelled and consulted with the Russians, Turks, etc.  Seems like the work done for the Turks was not as extensive and some reports are trying to make it.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/flynn-stopped-military-plan-turkey-opposed-—-after-being-paid-as-its-agent/ar-BBBfpOc

Meanwhile, in an act of frustration, Turkey's goon squad attacked some protesters right in Washington D.C.. I'm sure they got Mr. Flynn's approval to do so diba? God Bless You and OO. A hell of a way to avoid health care reform...once again. What's President Trump going to do for the next three plus years?

If people want to understand Trump and his methods they must read art of the deal. The liberals are being tossed around like toys along with the main stream media. He is slowly outing who he calls the swamp dwellers from both parties. The hysterics against him from the left are playing right into his hands. All this Russia nonsense will prove just that. Nonsense. As if the U S never interfered with other countries elections. Obama in London calling against brexit for example. The show is fun to watch with still three and a half years to go. 

Trump never wrote art of the deal.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Meanwhile, in an act of frustration, Turkey's goon squad attacked some protesters right in Washington D.C.. I'm sure they got Mr. Flynn's approval to do so diba? God Bless You and OO. A hell of a way to avoid health care reform...once again. What's President Trump going to do for the next three plus years?

34 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

It was more about a tax cut for the top 1% than about healthcare. As for Trump my guess he will be spending a good part of his term pacing in his cell. Your friend in the Pacific North-West is giddy about it already.

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

If it's true that the President asked the non-partisan FBI director to drop a criminal investigation, it might be obstruction of justice. 

I hate to ruin your lovely Thai day with some Comey under oath testimony, but here it is. On May 3rd Comey stated under oath that he has never been asked to stop an investigation.  

Chew on that for a while.  I'll wait for the non-response.

Oh, just noted your description of non-partisan for Comey.  He was affiliated as an attorney with the Clinton Foundation.  Hardly non-partisan.  

Edited by TonyClifton

15 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think that there is a very good case to be made already for convicting Trump on an obstruction of justice charge:18 U.S. Code § 1505  :

1725. Protection Of Government Processes -- Obstruction Of Pending Proceeding -- 18 U.S.C. 1505

Section 1505 of Title 18, United States Code, as amended by the Victim and Witness Protection Act of 1982, forbids anyone from corruptly, or by threats of force or by any threatening communication, influencing, obstructing, or impeding any pending proceeding before a department or agency of the United States, or Congress. In 1996 Congress enacted a clarifying amendment to 18 U.S.C. § 1515, which defines the term "corruptly" as used in section 1505 to mean "acting with an improper purpose, personally or by influencing another, including making a false or misleading statement, or withholding, concealing, altering, or destroying a document or other information." False Statements Accountability Act of 1996, Pub. L. No. 104-292, §3, 110 Stat. 3459, 3460.

Rush to judgement?

Should you not wait till the charge has substance before prosecuting.

BTW, just who is going to order the prosecution based on an anonymous source? Certainly not a real lawyer.

The GOP is not going to impeach, and the Justice Department isn't going to prosecute without evidence, no matter how much the Trump haters want it.

10 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I hate to ruin your lovely Thai day with some Comey under oath testimony, but here it is. On May 3rd Comey stated under oath that he has never been asked to stop an investigation.  

Oh, just noted your description of non-partisan for Comey.  He was affiliated as an attorney with the Clinton Foundation.  Hardly non-partisan.  

Also, the acting Director of the FBI also said under oath that Trump had not exerted any influence over the investigation.

Seems the Trump haters have no case, not that that is going to stop the fake news and the calls for impeachment.

Given that I wanted Trump to stick a finger in the Washington establishment's eye, it's all going well.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also, the acting Director of the FBI also said under oath that Trump had not exerted any influence over the investigation.

Seems the Trump haters have no case, not that that is going to stop the fake news and the calls for impeachment.

Given that I wanted Trump to stick a finger in the Washington establishment's eye, it's all going well.

Are you sure as your claim is not indicated in the transcript. McCabe actually said "I'm sorry. Sir, I can't comment on any conversations the director may have had with the president".

Edited by simple1

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

Justice Department has announced the appointment of a Special Counsel to oversea the "Russia Probe". The appointee is Robert Mueller, a former prosecutor who served as the FBI director from 2001 to 2013.

I think they didn't believe a special counsel would be appointed, and were just using it as a stick to beat Trump, and I now expect the Dems to come up with all sort of reasons why he is not a good choice, despite respecting him up till now.

Also, if he doesn't find anything against Trump they will be saying it is a whitewash.

They got what they said they wanted, but I doubt that will shut them up about the Russia connection. The investigation could take years, and there will be no leaks, only silence.

18 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

For someone who claims to be a lawyer, you seem remarkably obtuse about language.  The name of the topic is:

"Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe - source"
The name of the topic is not "Trump ordered Comey to shut down Flynn Probe"
Here's how the NY Times headlined their article:
"Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation"

As for Comey being affiliated with the Clinton foundation, can you provide a link that proves this?  And, of course, "affiliated" is a very loose, inclusive word.

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Are you sure as your claim is not indicated in the transcript. McCabe actually said "I'm sorry. Sir, I can't comment on any conversations the director may have had with the president".

Do you trust the WaPo to publish the true transcript of the acting FBI director speaking to congress?

MCCABE: As you know, Senator, the work of the men and women of the FBI continues despite any changes in circumstance, any decisions. So there has been no effort to impede our investigation today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/11/full-transcript-acting-fbi-director-mccabe-and-others-testify-before-the-senate-intelligence-committee/?utm_term=.e040e47d83b3

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think they didn't believe a special counsel would be appointed, and were just using it as a stick to beat Trump, and I now expect the Dems to come up with all sort of reasons why he is not a good choice, despite respecting him up till now.

Also, if he doesn't find anything against Trump they will be saying it is a whitewash.

They got what they said they wanted, but I doubt that will shut them up about the Russia connection. The investigation could take years, and there will be no leaks, only silence.

A number of assumptions - we will see how events unfold. Whatever your personal opinion of Trump is, for me he comes across as incredibly spiteful and negative in word and actions for a person who holds the title, President of the USA. Not a good look...

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

For someone who claims to be a lawyer, you seem remarkably obtuse about language.  The name of the topic is:

"Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn probe - source"
The name of the topic is not "Trump ordered Comey to shut down Flynn Probe"
Here's how the NY Times headlined their article:
"Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation"

As for Comey being affiliated with the Clinton foundation, can you provide a link that proves this?  And, of course, "affiliated" is a very loose, inclusive word.

LOL. So you yourself are saying that Trump did not ORDER a stop to the investigation. Storm in a teacup.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. So you yourself are saying that Trump did not ORDER a stop to the investigation. Storm in a teacup.

Sure. When his boss asks you to do something wrong, there's no pressure there. It's no different than, if his secretary had asked him to do it.  

To show obstruction of justice you need to show that there is a series of acts that could all be construed as being part of a plan to corruptly obstruct the process.  There are several things Trump has done that clearly can be construed that way.  That would be a good base for grounds  for impeachment

Edited by ilostmypassword

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you trust the WaPo to publish the true transcript of the acting FBI director speaking to congress?

MCCABE: As you know, Senator, the work of the men and women of the FBI continues despite any changes in circumstance, any decisions. So there has been no effort to impede our investigation today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/11/full-transcript-acting-fbi-director-mccabe-and-others-testify-before-the-senate-intelligence-committee/?utm_term=.e040e47d83b3

A very different context to claiming Trump had not attempted any influence as McCabe said he will not shed light on any conversation held between Trump and Comey in the public domain. Have to wait and see what Comey says in his upcoming open session with Congress - should clarify matters one way or the other.

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

A number of assumptions - we will see how events unfold. Whatever your personal opinion of Trump is, for me he comes across as incredibly spiteful and negative in word and actions for a person who holds the title, President of the USA. Not a good look...

LOL. From the tirade it would seem that everyone thinks every president before Trump was a good man 55555555555555555555

The list of presidents in my lifetime contains a few possible war criminals, crooks, a couple of womanisers, liars, an incompetent, a nonentity, one that resigned before impeachment and one that was impeached, but is now regarded as a "good" president.

Seems to me that Trump is actually a pretty typical president.

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

A very different context to claiming Trump had not attempted any influence as McCabe said he will not shed light on any conversation held between Trump and Comey in the public domain. Have to wait and see what Comey says in his upcoming open session with Congress - should clarify matters one way or the other.

Yes, what a good idea- let's wait and hear it from the man himself before rushing to judgement on anonymous source's leaks.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you're saying that this quote is not correct? That the Washington Post is purposely misquoting what was said? Because they know that no one is going to check them for accuracy?  Bizarre.

16 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Sure. When your boss asks you to do something wrong, there's no pressure there. It's no different than, if his secretary had asked him to do it.  

To show obstruction of justice you need to show that there is a series of acts that could all be construed as being part of a plan to corruptly obstruct the process.  There are several things Trump has done that clearly can be construed that way.  That would be a good base for grounds  for impeachment

Several ALLEGED things. Proof never counts for anything in a witch hunt- if the baying mob says it is so, they must be right.

Edited by thaibeachlovers