How far back does the visa exempt alert go?

Looking back through my old passport I see that I had 5 visa exempts between 2002 and 2007. I got a sixth at a land border last month. Will the immigration officers now see an alert when I enter?

I'm going back to the UK next month for a few months but my visa exempt (which I've already extended for a month) expires next week, so there's a two-week gap. Is it worth getting a tourist visa just to avoid any future problems or would it make no difference given I've already got 6 visa exempts?

The 6 entry alert started at zero when it was created around 2 years ago.

They will not get an alert in your case.

There is a limit for visa exempt entries of 2 at land border crossing per calendar year now. If you do another one you will not get any more this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 6 entry alert started at zero when it was created around 2 years ago.

They will not get an alert in your case.

There is a limit for visa exempt entries of 2 at land border crossing per calendar year now. If you do another one you will not get any more this year.

Hi ubonjoe, what about visa exempt entries by air?  I have just had my second one cause I'm now working in Iraq.  I had an METV before that, came in about 8 weeks ago on exempt (stayed about a week - and then gone for 6), and a few days ago on exempt.  There was a slight hold-up at the immigration counter but when I produced a copy of my return ticket to Iraq, all was well and I was waved through.  The think is, I leave here on 25 May and already have a ticket booked back for 10 July.  Do you think it will be a problem?  Shall I get the company to pre-arrange another ticket back to Iraq. The reason I ask is that the company normally books these tickets last minute due to nature of work.

7 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Hi ubonjoe, what about visa exempt entries by air?  I have just had my second one cause I'm now working in Iraq.  I had an METV before that, came in about 8 weeks ago on exempt (stayed about a week - and then gone for 6), and a few days ago on exempt.  There was a slight hold-up at the immigration counter but when I produced a copy of my return ticket to Iraq, all was well and I was waved through.  The think is, I leave here on 25 May and already have a ticket booked back for 10 July.  Do you think it will be a problem?  Shall I get the company to pre-arrange another ticket back to Iraq. The reason I ask is that the company normally books these tickets last minute due to nature of work.

With your history of visa exempt entries there should not be a problem.

By the rules you are required to have a ticket out within 30 days of arrival. The airlines are normally the ones that enforce it.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With your history of visa exempt entries there should not be a problem.

By the rules you are required to have a ticket out within 30 days of arrival. The airlines are normally the ones that enforce it.

Thanks, as always, ubonjoe.   You're dead right. It was Qatar Airways that warned me without a return/onward bound, it would be the airline that would not let me on the plane leaving Iraq. 

Someone I know comes in and out by air 5 or 6 times a year on a visa exempt, for up to 3 weeks at a time.....he's been doing this for longer than the 4 years that I have known him....never had an alert, never questioned....

2 hours ago, Putmak said:

Someone I know comes in and out by air 5 or 6 times a year on a visa exempt, for up to 3 weeks at a time.....he's been doing this for longer than the 4 years that I have known him....never had an alert, never questioned....

That is because there are unknown parameters with this "rule" other than 6 time of entries..

On 5/17/2017 at 9:49 AM, kokopelli said:

Someone I know had been visiting Thailand about 6 times per year, for a 30 day stay,  for many years. On last visit he was told to get a tourist visa next time. 

True! Friend of mine...airline guy...been doing it for 20 years (by air) without a problem. Last year on 6th entry was taken to a supervisor and was told (very nicely) that needed to get a visa for future entries. He complied.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:16 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks, ubonjoe. I'll do a border run and then get my next visa in the UK. Good to know the immigration officers at the airport won't see an alert when I come back.

Ubonjoe  you constantly amaze me with your knowledge on visa requirements , keep up the good work am sure hundreds of people  hold you in high regard, never had to ask you myself as I have a simple retirement visa. Good job.