Filthy Pattaya wetlands story shocks deputy mayor into clean-up action

webfact

Filthy Pattaya wetlands story shocks deputy mayor into clean-up action

2am.jpg

Picture: STV Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A news story last week about a once pristine area of wetlands for exotic birds that is now a filthy dump shocked the deputy mayor of Pattaya into action.

The story carried by Thaivisa showed pictures of black water, rubbish and encroachment of shacks in the Klong Nok Yang area of the resort.

"I was shocked by the news that I read," said Wichian Phongphanit. "I never thought there would be this amount of trash in an area of nature like this, reported STV Pattaya.

"When I saw it I knew it was time for action."

So Wichian got his middle managers at the Pattaya administration on board and they arrived yesterday with an army of 50 cleaning staff and a lot of equipment to mount a big clean-up.

Now there is signage in the area threatening that any more littering will result in 2,000 baht fines.

The administration is also discussing what to do about the encroachment that has caused much of the trash to be deposited in the area that should be one of the last homes of many wildfowl and small aquatic mammals, not people.

Source: STV Pattaya

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-18

Good to see such prompt action. Now he needs to put someone in charge of that area and get it sorted out with help from a wildlife organisation to restore it to wetlands again, and get rid of the encroachment

Forced into action by a media report. 555.

This guy is the deputy mayor of Pattaya. How long has he lived and worked in the area.?

I'm pretty sure he would have known about the dumping of trash all over the city...or is he blind?

6 hours ago, monspencer said:

This guy is the deputy mayor of Pattaya.

How long has he lived and worked in the area.?

I thought there was a new Pattaya Mayor from earlier this year ?

Edit: Pattaya appoints new Mayor

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-appoints-new-mayor-164777

"Maj. Gen. Anan Charoenchasri was appointed as the new Mayor of Pattaya City"

"It's a dirty job but someone has to do it".... said the mayor. "And you're just the man"  he said to the deputy. You don't have a dog and bark yourself.

Big beach clean up today in Pattaya, supervised by the army, no less. Rumour has it that a daughter of a VVVIP was here today for a swim. 

The whole of Pattaya City, Jomtien, the  whole country is one great big rubbish dump. You don't have to travel far to see that. This guy must never get out of his office chair.

Go to 'dirty thailand'  on facebook for some amazing pictures of all the rubbish to be found here.