You be the Judge (Jury and Executioner)

Judge, Jury and Executioner  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, hobz said:

Section 80. For the bicycle riding on the road, road shoulder, or lane 
provided for riding bicycle, the driver riding bicycle must provide:
(1)... (2) ...
 (3) at least one headlight installed in front of the bicycle giving white 
light shining ahead which causes road surface to be clearly seen at least fifteen 
meters away, and shining lower than eye-level of the oncoming conveyance; 
 (4) at least one taillight installed at the back of the bicycle giving red 
light shining backward, or fixing red light reflective material instead, which reflexes 
upon light shined.

Section 84 states that bicycles are subject to section 33. It states that vehicles gotta drive on the left side of the road unless signs say otherwise. Basically.

She is guilty to both violations.

The car driver did nothing wrong unless he admits to reckless driving, admitting he didnt look. Only he and god knows that.

Even if he looked it might not have been possible to see her. Again, only he and god may know that.

After all that ... which way did you vote ...☺

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is her fault. She should have seen you sitting there waiting for traffic to clear and being on the wrong side of the road and on a bicycle should have been more careful. It does look to me like she hit you and not reverse.

On 18/05/2017 at 5:42 PM, transam said:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, your music was the tops......I was a bit head nodding until....:shock1:......

In all honesty I reckon it was down to you....The last thing we do is look left again. Yeh perhaps she was on a pedal bike, was on the wrong side of the road with no lights, but we have been here long enough to expect that stuff.....Think the BiB "here" would side with her....

I agree that it is advisable to check left again before moving off, but NOT doing so does not put a driver in the wrong.....the cyclist was clearly in the wrong by cycling on the wrong side of the road.

Having no lights on motorbikes or bicycles is a common sight here too....but it doesn't make it right. 

I just seen the pole results and the percentage of people who think you were in the wrong.

My God, I think some may be  living too long in Thailand. In all countries it is illegal to drive/cycle on the wrong side of the road and that is the case here.....end of story....period. 

If one is in an accident while doing so how can you possibly blame the person who is doing everything correctly?

By doing so you are granting a licence to law breakers to carry on doing so.

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

I just seen the pole results and the percentage of people who think you were in the wrong.

My God, I think some may be  living too long in Thailand. In all countries it is illegal to drive/cycle on the wrong side of the road and that is the case here.....end of story....period. 

If one is in an accident while doing so how can you possibly blame the person who is doing everything correctly?

I think it is you who's living in Thailand too long.

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is a traffic offence, but doesn't give you the right to hit them with your car.

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

As someone has pointed out, falangs are becoming brainwashed to Thai bad habits and see themselves in the wrong no matter how atrocious the other drive/rider is.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I think it is you who's living in Thailand too long.

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is a traffic offence, but doesn't give you the right to hit them with your car.

Of course it's not a right, neither was it done deliberately. The cyclist through her stupidity put herself in harms way as thousands of Thais do to their detriment every day.

It is common practice in LOS whether on a bike, m/cycle or car/truck to drive on the wrong side of the road, drive with no lights and even run red lights. Yes it's against Thai law but the habits are endemic in the whole of Thailand, that's why traffic deaths are so high, nobody cares and neither do the BiB. For our safety we should understand that stuff to stay vigilant and safe. If the BiB do get involved with a problem you could well get a problem if you have a "nice" insurance policy....

8 minutes ago, Ulic said:

She was riding on the wrong side of the street but you pulled out when it was not clear.

She could have been a pedestrian. Your fault.

No. It was dark, she had no lights and she's on the wrong side of the road, don't know how more wrong she could be.

Just now, transam said:

Correct, but we ain't in farangland...:smile:

Things aren't always fair in the west either. if you have enough money you can often walk on a serious charge, eg OJ, but there is more public scrutiny and accountability, and less corruption.

31 minutes ago, Ulic said:

She was riding on the wrong side of the street but you pulled out when it was not clear.

She could have been a pedestrian. Your fault.

This is a good point, if it had been a pedestrian walking (not running). Then it would have been possible to see the pedestrian to the left before pulling out. It was dark but it was not pitch black.

But pedestrians also have responsibility to be careful.

On 2017-5-18 at 5:42 PM, transam said:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, your music was the tops......I was a bit head nodding until....:shock1:......

In all honesty I reckon it was down to you....The last thing we do is look left again. Yeh perhaps she was on a pedal bike, was on the wrong side of the road with no lights, but we have been here long enough to expect that stuff.....Think the BiB "here" would side with her....

"In all honesty I reckon it was down to you" ...  Don't listen Crossy :tongue:

On 2017-5-18 at 5:48 PM, transam said:

No, just left and right and left again, if all clear proceed...:stoner:

Right, left, then right again... see below :wink:

On 2017-5-18 at 6:11 PM, pgrahmm said:

She's got the right of way unimpeded.....

You didn't really do anything textbook wrong....

Unfortunate timing more than anything else....

"She's got the right of way unimpeded....." That's sarcasm... yes? :clap2:

Your Mistake Crossy was to learn your driving skills and hone your safety routines in a country where riding with no lights, going the wrong way on the wrong side of the road, in the dark is not something we have programmed ourselves to avoid by instinct. In Thailand I have REPEATEDLY been caught out by following ingrained safety routines learned to pass the driving test back home, and not looking for something coming from oblivion.
I "see" Crossy looking right at the "junction", waiting, looking left as the bike and car passes him then right again to check it's clear before moving off... then Wham! The lady on bicycle appears out of the gloom.

Who said  "She's got the right of way unimpeded..."? Certainly looks like she was impeded to me :cheesy:

Crossy followed procedure correctly. Except that in Thailand, I am receiving daily reminders that my procedures are best modified to account for all the crazy ass riders/drivers/pedestrians who will literally "throw" themselves at you from every conceivable angle at the most inconvenient time.

Crossy.... "Not Guilty"!

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No. It was dark, she had no lights and she's on the wrong side of the road, don't know how more wrong she could be.

What is your definition of dark?

In the video I can see the lady even before she comes in front of the head lights, and I can see objects very far in the distance in front of the car, which obviously would not be possible if it were dark.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Mr Cross did you not hear the lady, ring a ding her bell at 2:18 in the video :whistling:

Anyone?

No, neither did I. But looking as Crossy slowly comes out at where the hard shoulder starts and its distance from the solid white line and the movement of the front of the car, his front wheels were already on the hard pavement when he stops waiting for a break in traffic. This means his front bumper would have been pretty much on the solid white line. The stupid lady on the bike chose to go around in front of him, shooting the gap between the front of Crossy's car and the motorbike that just passed which was in turn being passed by a car. She was hit while she was completely in contra-flow.

Classic case of the locals 'me first' attitude and if Crossy hadn't nailed her, someone else probably would... probably still will.

Case dismissed.

9 minutes ago, Marvo said:

I "see" Crossy looking right at the "junction", waiting, looking left as the bike and car passes him then right again to check it's clear before moving off... then Wham! The lady on bicycle appears out of the gloom.

You must be a fortune teller, as I don't see anyone inside the car, and certainly don't see anyone looking in any particular direction.

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

What is your definition of dark?

In the video I can see the lady even before she comes in front of the head lights, and I can see objects very far in the distance in front of the car, which obviously would not be possible if it were dark.

It was dark enough for there still to be street lights and the OP had his lights on as well, as did passing traffic. What's your definition, that you can't see your hand in front of your face?

Edited by giddyup

Just now, janclaes47 said:

You must be a fortune teller, as I don't see anyone inside the car, and certainly don't see anyone looking in any particular direction.

No. Marvo placed quotation marks around the word see as in I "see" which means he didn't actually see anything but is alluding to what he 'sees' from the video.

Pretty reasonable use of English the language and something we have all done when viewing this clip, including yourself. Regarding your somewhat ridiculous claims of being able to "see objects very far in the distance in front of the car" in the video, you are seeing things.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No. Marvo placed quotation marks around the word see as in I "see" which means he didn't actually see anything but is alluding to what he 'sees' from the video.

Pretty reasonable use of English the language and something we have all done when viewing this clip, including yourself. Regarding your somewhat ridiculous claims of being able to "see objects very far in the distance in front of the car" in the video, you are seeing things.

Oh, you mean Marvo is making assumptions to reach his verdict?  I thought a verdict was always based on facts instead.

As for what I see in the far distance, is that I see trees that are at least a few hundred meters ahead, which surely would not be possible if it was dark like half an hour earlier. If you don't see them that it's time to visit Top Charoen.

By the way, I also see the lady in this screen shot when she's not in front of the car yet.

Crossy.JPG.3a29532170e975efeb153b9760d59b0e.JPG

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Oh, you mean Marvo is making assumptions to reach his verdict?  I thought a verdict was always based on facts instead.

As for what I see in the far distance, is that I see trees that are at least a few hundred meters ahead, which surely would not be possible if it was dark like half an hour earlier. If you don't see them that it's time to visit Top Charoen.

By the way, I also see the lady in this screen shot when she's not in front of the car yet.

Correct, a last look left would have prevented the issue.....In LOS we just have to do that...Same as looking in your nearside mirror when turning left....For me it is habit  though, taught that stuff in the UK to get a HGV license...

22 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes, So has everyone else who like yourself has looked at the video as a back-seat driver and not as the actual driver admittedly looking the wrong way at the very last minute before pulling out. She wasn't visible to the driver when he first looked left as she was in the 'dark' and further away and quite possibly obscured by whatever roadside detritus there is on that side. This was discussed fully earlier in the thread.

PS. Did you notice the time stamp on the bottom right hand side? It says 05:56 which is pre-dawn and there's no other way of saying it but is is dark at that time of the morning and not only in Thailand. As mentioned earlier, the big clue is everyone else has their lights on. Except the bicycle lady that the driver didn't see... because it was dark... and she had no lights on...

PPS. Dashcams by nature of the lens apertures used do tend to make things brighter in failing light. If you have one, take a look at how bright the road ahead is even in the gloaming after sunset and before darkness. It's exactly the same pre-dawn.

Edited by NanLaew

On 5/18/2017 at 5:45 PM, giddyup said:

I suppose we're expected to have eyes in the back of our heads as well? Is the falang ever in the right?

looking to he left does not required eyes in the back of your head