Cyclist killed by BMW-driving grad student who ‘didn’t see her’

BMWs are rubbish. Really? A few million owners might not agree.

Owned one. Bought used, and after 4 years mounting repair costs were staggering. Never again. Serviced at major city dealership....saw dozens of new ones there always, for warranty repairs. Routinely got bumped because mine was not warranty work that the dealership charged to German factory.

and the driver possibly did not have a legal license, if one at all.  Anyway BMW drivers are above the law in Thailand so a small fine 10,000 baht fine and away to do it again .  Thainess at its ugliest. 

I am very interested in your bold statement that BMW drivers are above the law..
Can you be more specific? Do you mean X1, X3 ...X6 or series 5,7 ? I really would like to know in which category you put me (M5) and my wife (X3).
If the accident would be caused by a pick up, would the brand really matter? I see reckless drivers in all types of cars...Anyway, enjoy your Mitsubishi Atrage or similar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm a Bangkok cyclist of eight years. My contention at this juncture is that the Thai roads are not to be shared by cyclists and motor vehicles. What do you want to bet that the victim in this case did not have a rear-view mirror on her bicycle, as is the case with most cyclists? Situational awareness, especially from behind and evasive action is better than being fatally surprised by a motor vehicle. R.I.P. to the victim and my condolences.

I refuse to ride my bike on the roads here  The cars come so close and i dont want to be hit by one Sad part is  they would not even stop if they did hit you Its the Thai culture again Me Me me and i want to be first there

20 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

I refuse to ride my bike on the roads here  The cars come so close and i dont want to be hit by one Sad part is  they would not even stop if they did hit you Its the Thai culture again Me Me me and i want to be first there

Avoiding the roads is a good idea, but very constraining. I have come "borrow" the roads by using them when traffic is slow or minimal. At all times on the road, I watch religiously what is approaching from behind and will bail off the road if I don't like what I see coming. This requires at least one rear-view mirror on the bike - something that most cyclists, especially the Thai, eschew (I guess) for reasons for style over safety.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, elgordo38 said:

Ah yes the newbie expert has arrived to set us all straight. Welcome to the club. You got your feet wet on this one and your answer made sense unlike some posts. 

hmm, is this like scientology or something? what is required of me. give them most of my money and listen to them talk <deleted> about aliens? can I just marry a bar girl and give her all my money and listen to her talk <deleted>. what's the rules? i'm new here. need expert advice

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

hmm, is this like scientology or something? what is required of me. give them most of my money and listen to them talk <deleted> about aliens? can I just marry a bar girl and give her all my money and listen to her talk <deleted>. what's the rules? i'm new here. need expert advice

We all became experts the hard way trial and error. Sorry no short cuts in life. What works for one does not neccessarily work for another. If your Happy enough what else counts for anything. I think your trying to get my goat a bit but that is all right. Carry on learning.

Just now, elgordo38 said:

We all became experts the hard way trial and error. Sorry no short cuts in life. What works for one does not neccessarily work for another. If your Happy enough what else counts for anything. I think your trying to get my goat a bit but that is all right. Carry on learning.

wasn't trying to get your goat. just thought it was a humorous reply. i'm a very simple person

Just now, Happy enough said:

wasn't trying to get your goat. just thought it was a humorous reply. i'm a very simple person

No anger taken I too am a simple person. Amazed at some of the technical experts on here they blow my mind. 

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, elgordo38 said:

No anger taken I too am a simple person. Amazed at some of the technical experts on here they blow my mind. 

turns out you were right. reading most of the comments on here is kind of sad. live people. really. that's what you're here for.