Renewal of UK Driving Licence (heads up)

When you hit 70 you have to renew your UK licence, and every 3 years thereafter.  I did renew online 2.1/2 years ago, but I'm not going to bother again because the Thai licence is easily acceptable, and I really don't want to drive in the UK any more. On visits there in the last few years I've found it more stressful than driving in provincial Thailand.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MW72 said:

Does anyone know if you can apply for the international driving permit online? I always found it a pain to have to get it done in person in the UK. I've not been back for 2 years now so my last one is well out of date. 

Not sure about online application, but you can apply for a UK IDP by post via the AA. I have used this method in the past as I needed it when driving in Egypt up to about 2012. Not applied since then. There may be online options with other organisations.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/apply-for-an-idp-by-post

19 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

When you hit 70 you have to renew your UK licence, and every 3 years thereafter.  I did renew online 2.1/2 years ago, but I'm not going to bother again because the Thai licence is easily acceptable, and I really don't want to drive in the UK any more. On visits there in the last few years I've found it more stressful than driving in provincial Thailand.

I am planning to let my UK licence lapse when I reach 70 in 2 years time since, like you, I would have no particular desire to drive in the UK again. In any case insurance can, I gather, prove a problematical issue for the over-70 driver.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Just wondering. . . I don't drive. but my wife has held a driving licence for 18 months. We hoped to take a summer holiday in the UK and hire a car so she could drive us around.

However, she is adamant that she cannot legally drive in Britain until she gets her "full" Thai licence after holding her licence for two years - which won't be until the end of October.

Is she right - and if she is, does anyone know a get-around to avoid us having to put off our planned UK trip until next year?

Your wife is right. The initial two year Thai licence is a temporary licence and not valid in the UK. If I remember correctly from many years ago my original (one year) Thai licence had temporary licence written on it.

I renewed my UK DL online & had it delivered to my UK address while I was in UK last year.

Note: I was instructed to cut the old one in half and send it back to DVLA as soon as the new one arrived.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
31 minutes ago, transam said:

If I had a prob with UK DVLA I would just tell them I can/will never be accepted or given permanent residency in Thailand even though l am married to a Thai and raised kids, unlike Thai folk coming to the UK, so I keep my UK license...:stoner:

If the argument "We do not have permanent residence in Thailand, therefore we must be treated as resident in the UK" cut any ice with the UK authorities, I daresay we would have been receiving pension increases and free NHS in-patient treatment any time we required it.

In practice, I doubt anyone would have a "prob with the UK DVLA". As the OP has said, it is extremely easy to make an online application for a replacement UK licence, as long as you can supply an address to which they will send the licence. But as another poster said, the application includes a declaration that you are a UK resident, and the penalty for a false declaration is £1000 and/or a spell in chokey. The police may not pursue such an offence, but if you for example got drunk and mowed someone down they might choose to look into matters a little further and get you a longer sentence.

It's "up to you".

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If the argument "We do not have permanent residence in Thailand, therefore we must be treated as resident in the UK" cut any ice with the UK authorities, I daresay we would have been receiving pension increases and free NHS in-patient treatment any time we required it.

In practice, I doubt anyone would have a "prob with the UK DVLA". As the OP has said, it is extremely easy to make an online application for a replacement UK licence, as long as you can supply an address to which they will send the licence. But as another poster said, the application includes a declaration that you are a UK resident, and the penalty for a false declaration is £1000 and/or a spell in chokey. The police may not pursue such an offence, but if you for example got drunk and mowed someone down they might choose to look into matters a little further and get you a longer sentence.

It's "up to you".

Sure, but I am NOT a permanent resident in LOS...They won't let me be one.....

Do they take away a UK chaps pilots flying or ships captain license issued in the UK if he lives in LOS as a non immigrant....?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Do they take away a UK chaps pilots flying or ships captain license issued in the UK if he lives in LOS as a non immigrant....?

I've no idea. It would depend whether a residential qualification was a legal requirement for holding those licences. As far as a Driving Licence is concerned, it most certainly is.

Just now, Eff1n2ret said:

I've no idea. It would depend whether a residential qualification was a legal requirement for holding those licences. As far as a Driving Licence is concerned, it most certainly is.

Everyone took a test....Qualified to use those means of transport...That's my point..

29 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Everyone took a test....Qualified to use those means of transport...That's my point..

I assume you mean european driving licence issued by the UK

From directive   91/439/EEC on driving licences, article 7

1. Driving licences shall, moreover, be issued only to those applicants: (a) who have passed a test of skills and behaviour and a theoretical test and who meet medical standards, in accordance with the provisions of Annexes II and III; (b) who have their normal residence in the territory of the Member State issuing the licence, or can produce evidence that they have been studying there for at least six months.

Just wondering. . . I don't drive. but my wife has held a driving licence for 18 months. We hoped to take a summer holiday in the UK and hire a car so she could drive us around.

However, she is adamant that she cannot legally drive in Britain until she gets her "full" Thai licence after holding her licence for two years - which won't be until the end of October.

Is she right - and if she is, does anyone know a get-around to avoid us having to put off our planned UK trip until next year?

I got my 2 year ( temporary) Thai license in Jan 2017, the lady said it could be renewed for the 5 year license in 1 years time, I questioned that ( via my gf ) and she repeated said statement !!
I thought it very strange that this is available !, I mean who would it benefit ?, except for you of course.
There was a thread a couple of months ago re: insurance on the temporary Thai license when hiring a car in uk, I offered the same solution but got no feedback.
Maybe your wife could call the DLT to see if possible ?

p.s. Doesn't interest me as I still have a couple of years on uk license.
12 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I assume you mean european driving licence issued by the UK

From directive   91/439/EEC on driving licences, article 7

1. Driving licences shall, moreover, be issued only to those applicants: (a) who have passed a test of skills and behaviour and a theoretical test and who meet medical standards, in accordance with the provisions of Annexes II and III; (b) who have their normal residence in the territory of the Member State issuing the licence, or can produce evidence that they have been studying there for at least six months.

Got my three licenses before the member states thingy...:laugh:

9 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes I do understand that workaround, but UK DVLC rules (technically) say that if you leave the UK to live in another country you must surrender your UK license and get one from your country of residence, the fact that most of us don't and that some of you use a UK accommodation address doesn't make it legal.

FWIW I used to be really precious about my UK license but after 15 years I've come to realise that my Thai license is far more useful, it makes renting a car in the UK much much easier since there are no DVLC checks and every car rental agency accepts it without question. It also means I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds and means I don't have to buy rental agency insurance products and that saves a lot of money.

Rubbish, no surrender is necessary. If you surrender it how the hell are you going to get a new drivers licence in another country. Every country I have done that in your valid licence of country of origin is required. No licence you have to start from fresh in the new country ie start from scratch and do all the necessary tests.

2 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Rubbish, no surrender is necessary. If you surrender it how the hell are you going to get a new drivers licence in another country. Every country I have done that in your valid licence of country of origin is required. No licence you have to start from fresh in the new country ie start from scratch and do all the necessary tests.

So...?

15 minutes ago, transam said:

So...?

Obviously you have not a clue on what I was commenting on. The number one rule in life is,  it is better to keep you mouth closed and appear to be a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

Obviously you have not a clue on what I was commenting on. The number one rule in life is,  it is better to keep you mouth closed and appear to be a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Thanks, just wrote that down in my note book....:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, transam said:

If I had a prob with UK DVLA I would just tell them I can/will never be accepted or given permanent residency in Thailand even though l am married to a Thai and raised kids, unlike Thai folk coming to the UK, so I keep my UK license...:stoner:

You apply for permanent residency, you don't get given it, depending on how long you have been married and paying tax in Thailand, maybe you are eligible to apply?

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

You apply for permanent residency, you don't get given it, depending on how long you have been married and paying tax in Thailand, maybe you are eligible to apply?

Nooooo I am not............:stoner:

2 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Er, um you surrender AFTER you get your replacement license, that's not difficult!

2 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Another who does not understand. You do not surrender your licence unless you intend to never drive again DOH!

I thought the discussion was about the rules regarding license renewal rather than how to circumvent them!

Perhaps best to understand factually what those rules, which I think we've done, then let individuals decide how they want to play them rather than trying to sell everyone on the work arounds, which means they technically break the law and that's not your call to make!

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I thought the discussion was about the rules regarding license renewal rather than how to circumvent them!

Perhaps best to understand factually what those rules, which I think we've done, then let individuals decide how they want to play them rather than trying to sell everyone on the work arounds, which means they technically break the law and that's not your call to make!

Talk about getting hold of the wrong end of the stick. I was not replying to anything of that nateure. I replied to a post that someone stated you have to surrender your UK drivers licence when you leave the country. Go back to your Chang!!!!

4 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Talk about getting hold of the wrong end of the stick. I was not replying to anything of that nateure. I replied to a post that someone stated you have to surrender your UK drivers licence when you leave the country. Go back to your Chang!!!!

I was the one who posted the need to surrender your UK license, because of the rules posted in the links provided. Can I suggest you read that link again and better understand what the rules are.

And BTW, I don't drink alcohol.

8 hours ago, GBK said:

Yes you do, but if you call the card company and say your card was stolen the day before the alleged offence you're all clear.

So im ahem, told.

I always report my card lost immediately after handing back the hire car to prevent any potential spurious "afters" from car hire company. They have to chase you rather than the other way round...if they can be bothered.

anyone can buy either an annual or single event insurance excess cover  on line far cheaper than via the company. moneysavingexpert.com will give you links to the best providers in addition to many other tips. Nothing to do with which licence you hold as another implied.

I fell foul of the ol' credit card scam more than a decade ago. It was made obvious by the beeline the woman made for a 1.5" scratch on the drivers mirror that she seemed to notice from 100m away. I was bloody furious as it hadn't happened on my watch & have never put myself in a position where it could happen again. If I ever hire a car again i'll do a full 360 video & get them on camera acknowledging any marks beforehand......without swiping any card.

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Spoken in jest perhaps but true. Holders of overseas licenses can be asked to pay on the spot.

As said earlier I was involved in an accident in the UK a few years ago whilst driving on my Thai license in a rental car, when I made the police report Avon Somerset Police didn't bat an eye when I asked which license they'd prefer - ditto when I got pulled over and ticketed for using my mobile phone whilst driving, on that occasion the police, nice guys both, said they'd prefer to ticker my UK license which they did (and I paid the fine via the internet from Thailand)!

Whatever the fine was it should have been 10 fold MORE

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

Whatever the fine was it should have been 10 fold MORE

Even though this was eight years ago, I've just written to Avon Somerset Police and asked for the fine to be increased, I await their reply!

Well, I've searched and I can't find where I've read that non-resident expat's should surrender their UK drivers license  after moving abroad, there are however a number of other expat forums out there that discuss this very issue and some claim the license should be surrendered - I'm sure we all got that information from the same place but I can't see where.

What is clear though is that the rules state the license cannot be used legally if you now reside in another country, neither can an overseas address be registered on it (and of course, using a false address is also not allowed). And indeed the license itself can't be renewed (legally) if you live overseas, which makes it all but useless, unless you intend to resettle in the UK once again before the expiry date of the license, in which case changing the address to your new one and pretending you've never left would probably work, under the rules.

On related aspects: as a returning expat you would be allowed to use your Thai 5 year license in the UK before having to convert to a UK license. Also, if driving in the UK and in possession of a UK license and a foreign license, the UK license takes precedence, regardless of what you might claim, as long as it remains a valid license.

Edited by simoh1490