Thailand railways....

Just spent most of the last two days on train.  Happy to report that the service was very good. Left our home in the south to new digs in the north spent time on 2nd class sleeper, bit on the small side but effective air con, food good, staff friendly and helpful, clean including toilets then 2nd class seated.  Well priced, forced to travel by train because of luggage( partner) I think we spent more on tipping the porters than fares....had one trip before on sleeper from Chiang Mia to bkk and that was memorable for all the right reasons.  So if you are thinking of going by train go for it.....mike 

Good to hear. I rent a car and drive or fly a lot but sometimes I want to enjoy the train or bus. Something nostalgic about the train. When you hear reports about the accommodations it is encouraging to go by train. I am interested in if anyone has taken the train from Bangkok to Khon Kaen as I would like to make that trip someday. 

I did the trip from Khoen Kaen to Bangkok late last year and was a little disappointed. I too enjoy train travel and having enjoyed a trip from Bangkok to Surat Thani thought KK to BK would be as good, it wasn't. I took the daylight run to see the scenery, windows were filthy, seats were very uncomfortable and aircon barely passable, all in all very disappointing.

Having posted a negative review of my last train trip I still want to go from Bangkok to Singapore by rail, then there is always Saigon to London, it can be done!.

11 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Having posted a negative review of my last train trip I still want to go from Bangkok to Singapore by rail, then there is always Saigon to London, it can be done!.

Just did that trip April 26 - 29. Took the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Oops, not the new sleeper compartments, so a bit disappointed. Couple of nights in Bangkok and then...OK, it was a "Bucket List" trip for me and would not fit into my monthly budget but..Hey! I'm old and retired so, I took the Eastern and Oriental Express to Singapore. Three nights and I recommend it highly. Blame it on, "Murder on the Orient Express"!

32 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just did that trip April 26 - 29. Took the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Oops, not the new sleeper compartments, so a bit disappointed. Couple of nights in Bangkok and then...OK, it was a "Bucket List" trip for me and would not fit into my monthly budget but..Hey! I'm old and retired so, I took the Eastern and Oriental Express to Singapore. Three nights and I recommend it highly. Blame it on, "Murder on the Orient Express"!

Hi

what "class" did take ? 

Is there any personal cabin for that kind of trip ?

thanks

2 minutes ago, Foozool said:

Hi

what "class" did take ? 

Is there any personal cabin for that kind of trip ?

thanks

? For CX to BKK, I paid for the sleeper compartment so I could travel solo. On the E & O, I recommend you visit the website or all infraction. Google :Belmond" and the choose your journey, time of year, etc. He again I went as a single in a Pullman compartment. Very pleased...

I've found it's pot luck as to whether a sleeper will fit that description. 

I've been in one where the bogies bounced around due to lack of maintenance, the noise and vibration  meant that sleep was not possible for a second. 

Been on one with icy cold air con that couldn't be adjusted, far from pleasurable. 

Been on one sleeper with healthy cock roaches already occupying the berth. 

I've had one OK  experience  with a good 1st  class cabin that was quiet and reasonably comfortable. 

Still I can never sleep on them, the constant stops at brightly light stations and slamming doors aren't really  conducive to sleep. 

Took the sleeper to and from Chiang Mai... not a bad trip, but I discovered that the mattresses are a bit thin.  Never had a problem sleeping anywhere before... but woke up with a sore hip (I'm a side sleeper) both mornings.  Must be getting old.

I'll continue to use the train on the cheap and seems more environmentally-friendly than flying, but am not sure I am looking forward to my next trip...

My Thai lady and I have taken the train several times from CM to Bkk and then sometimes onto Surat Thani. Like the OP, we road the rails because of too much luggage for air. But we'd do it anytime, luggage problem or not. Leave CM at about 4:00, enjoy a few hours of scenery and then a good night's sleep. Arrive Bkk 5:30 AM. This trip is probably not for everybody but we sure enjoy it. 

Trouble is the Thais regard travelling by train is for the poor. So rolling stock is old and lines are badly maintained. Seems the Chinese are trying to change that and give the Thais something akin to a modern train system. Sometimes it takes some effort to change the mindset. Instead low cost airline's are replacing the awful trains?

14 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Good to hear. I rent a car and drive or fly a lot but sometimes I want to enjoy the train or bus. Something nostalgic about the train. When you hear reports about the accommodations it is encouraging to go by train. I am interested in if anyone has taken the train from Bangkok to Khon Kaen as I would like to make that trip someday. 

My wife and I took the day train from Bangkok to Udon Thani (same line) a couple of years back and we quite enjoyed it. There are nice views going through the hills on the early part of the journey. We booked at the last minute so could only get 2nd class fan. (only two out of the six worked!) so I wouldn't call ''classy'', but it was fun mixing it with the local life. I would suggest booking early and getting an aircon carriage if you want comfort.

All the rolling stock throughout Thailand is being replaced and I read that new trains will be running on this line soon. Might be an idea to hold on until they start running before making your trip north.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

All the rolling stock throughout Thailand is being replaced and I read that new trains will be running on this line soon. Might be an idea to hold on until they start running before making your trip north.

A quick update on that. I've just read that the two night services on the Bangkok Nong Khai line have been replaced with the new rolling stock.

See: http://www.thailandtrains.com/thailands-new-trains/

I can't sleep at night so I took the day train  from Chiang Mai to BKK a few times.  Nice scenery along the way and the trip takes about 10-11 hours.  But bring your own food. And remember long pants and a jacket because it's freezing cold in the air-con train. 

Used to often take the train between Chiang Mai and Bangkok 20 years ago, in the days before budget airlines. Recently took the 6.00pm overnight train,  air-conditioning sleeper from Chiang Mai, good new train, comfortable trip. If the journey matters and not merely the destination, I'd recommend the train.

My friend Ian and i, when we were doing our 90 days, used to catch the the train from Bang Sur to Pedang Besar. We used to go, because the stamps were very much smaller on our PP's. The trip was great.Our train left at 10 am. The train carriages were from the 1940's, made in Tokyo.They had fans and newly installed air con.They were really old fashioned and it was what i imagined the Orient Express was like(only on a less grandiose  scale) There was a bar carriage also.And you could take booze back to your seats. We sat opposite each other and there was a table between us.To kill the time, we would play Kalooki. There were plugs for the shavers and comps. And curtains on the window's.All the smugglers would be waiting at the stations we stopped at and put their contraband on the train, to be picked up further down the line. There was a menu, but food sellers would walk the carriages and get off at the next station.and get the opposite train back.At about 9.30, the carriage man would come round and turn the seats and tables into up and down beds. They were comfortable, but made for Asian people who are shorter than us. The trip was 3 days 2 nights.In the morning we would shower (these were in the toilets, towels provided. The two toilets at either end of the carriage had, 1 European WC and 1 Asian). We would arrive at Pedang  the next morning morning, go through customs and then to have out PP's stamped.The best ride of the trip was the bus ride from Pedang to Hatyai city. It was like a roller coaster, 40 baht for a twenty minute Disney World like the Catastrophy Canyon Ride in Disney world, Florida.Once again there were smugglers and all sorts on the bus. And it was the first time i gave up my seat to a monk so he could sit at the back. Once in the city, we would go to the market and buy hot Chestnuts and fruit to take home.We would then go to a bar we knew, in the part of the city, that had bars (it was opposite a hotel, strangely named "the pink hotel" We would drink a good few Chang

exports and then walk back to the KFC by the station in Hatyai and wait for the train home.They were great trips, and good memories.On one train home, we even got a rebate on our fare money because the air con wasn't working. There was really no need, because the fans were very capable of cooling the carriage. We got 40 baht each passenger.It was like a little holiday. I would love to do it again, but I'm a long way away. I am sure i could remember the directions.

I love the train in Thailand but they stopped drinking on the train now?

This is not an 'OMG a typical farang wants to get wasted on the train, oh no' but that late afternoon/early evening, train starts a movin', get some food when the guy comes around or from the stalls before you get on and a couple of cans of beer as I watch the scenary roll past.

What's wrong with that?

Last year I only took a short train journey in the South or a few hours but saw many signs about no alcohol. Very sad, I enjoyed a few beers with my food but the night kicked in, was a huge part of my love of the trains.

Even in 2nd class sleeper, before they made up the beds, you got a nice big seat there, a huge window next to you. Toilets are there too, zillion times preferable to an overnight bus, for starters. Just like a couple of beers :/

18 minutes ago, Razzler1973 said:

I love the train in Thailand but they stopped drinking on the train now?

This is not an 'OMG a typical farang wants to get wasted on the train, oh no' but that late afternoon/early evening, train starts a movin', get some food when the guy comes around or from the stalls before you get on and a couple of cans of beer as I watch the scenary roll past.

What's wrong with that?

Last year I only took a short train journey in the South or a few hours but saw many signs about no alcohol. Very sad, I enjoyed a few beers with my food but the night kicked in, was a huge part of my love of the trains.

Even in 2nd class sleeper, before they made up the beds, you got a nice big seat there, a huge window next to you. Toilets are there too, zillion times preferable to an overnight bus, for starters. Just like a couple of beers :/

Sad about the no beer thing, that was always an enjoyable part of the trip.It also helped me sleep.Now i seem to remember, we went 2nd class too.

22 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Please try the train, but choose the right destination, it needs to be a distance where you can spend the night on it. As i said in my earlier post, the BangSur to Pedang Besar is an excellent example.

On 2017-5-20 at 6:26 PM, PJPom said:

I did the trip from Khoen Kaen to Bangkok late last year and was a little disappointed. I too enjoy train travel and having enjoyed a trip from Bangkok to Surat Thani thought KK to BK would be as good, it wasn't. I took the daylight run to see the scenery, windows were filthy, seats were very uncomfortable and aircon barely passable, all in all very disappointing.

The night trip up is better than the day trip down.  Done it several times.  If travelling by day in Thailand use the fastest express service and get less stops, better seats and carriages and some food included.  Also less peasant class co-travellers.

7 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

My friend Ian and i, when we were doing our 90 days, used to catch the the train from Bang Sur to Pedang Besar. We used to go, because the stamps were very much smaller on our PP's. The trip was great.Our train left at 10 am. The train carriages were from the 1940's, made in Tokyo.They had fans and newly installed air con.They were really old fashioned and it was what i imagined the Orient Express was like(only on a less grandiose  scale) There was a bar carriage also.And you could take booze back to your seats. We sat opposite each other and there was a table between us.To kill the time, we would play Kalooki. There were plugs for the shavers and comps. And curtains on the window's.All the smugglers would be waiting at the stations we stopped at and put their contraband on the train, to be picked up further down the line. There was a menu, but food sellers would walk the carriages and get off at the next station.and get the opposite train back.At about 9.30, the carriage man would come round and turn the seats and tables into up and down beds. They were comfortable, but made for Asian people who are shorter than us. The trip was 3 days 2 nights.In the morning we would shower (these were in the toilets, towels provided. The two toilets at either end of the carriage had, 1 European WC and 1 Asian). We would arrive at Pedang  the next morning morning, go through customs and then to have out PP's stamped.The best ride of the trip was the bus ride from Pedang to Hatyai city. It was like a roller coaster, 40 baht for a twenty minute Disney World like the Catastrophy Canyon Ride in Disney world, Florida.Once again there were smugglers and all sorts on the bus. And it was the first time i gave up my seat to a monk so he could sit at the back. Once in the city, we would go to the market and buy hot Chestnuts and fruit to take home.We would then go to a bar we knew, in the part of the city, that had bars (it was opposite a hotel, strangely named "the pink hotel" We would drink a good few Chang

exports and then walk back to the KFC by the station in Hatyai and wait for the train home.They were great trips, and good memories.On one train home, we even got a rebate on our fare money because the air con wasn't working. There was really no need, because the fans were very capable of cooling the carriage. We got 40 baht each passenger.It was like a little holiday. I would love to do it again, but I'm a long way away. I am sure i could remember the directions.

You tell a great story with vivid recall. 

As one who enjoys the train, your words were appreciated. 

I look forward to my next Thai train travel. 

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A quick update on that. I've just read that the two night services on the Bangkok Nong Khai line have been replaced with the new rolling stock.

See: http://www.thailandtrains.com/thailands-new-trains/

I have done the overnights a few times and it was a bit of pot luck on the quality of the journey as they had rolling stock of different age groups. 

A few weeks ago we went up to Udon Thani hired a car and did a bit of sightseeing. Never thought about the new rolling stock so it was a pleasant surprise, much better journey. I think all the northbound routes now have the new rolling stock but if going south it would be best to check on the 'Seat61' website. 

If you get the first class cabin having a drink on the train is not a problem.

It should also be noted that you cannot get a train from Bangkok into Malaysia anymore, came to an end last year when the Malaysians electrified the route south from the border. I did the Bangkok - Butterworth a couple of years ago and that was quite good. Now you can only go to the border on the Thai diesel train, cross the border and catch a high speed Malaysian train south.

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have done the overnights a few times and it was a bit of pot luck on the quality of the journey as they had rolling stock of different age groups. 

A few weeks ago we went up to Udon Thani hired a car and did a bit of sightseeing. Never thought about the new rolling stock so it was a pleasant surprise, much better journey. I think all the northbound routes now have the new rolling stock but if going south it would be best to check on the 'Seat61' website. 

If you get the first class cabin having a drink on the train is not a problem.

It should also be noted that you cannot get a train from Bangkok into Malaysia anymore, came to an end last year when the Malaysians electrified the route south from the border. I did the Bangkok - Butterworth a couple of years ago and that was quite good. Now you can only go to the border on the Thai diesel train, cross the border and catch a high speed Malaysian train south.

Great news. Thanks for the update. We're planning to visit Bangkok soon. It'll great to have a comfortable journey. I do love train travel.

And my wife has always said she doesn't like flying so she'll be happy as well.

Edited by Moonlover

27 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Great news. Thanks for the update. We're planning to visit Bangkok soon. It'll great to have a comfortable journey. I do love train travel.

And my wife has always said she doesn't like flying so she'll be happy as well.

I would recommend the first class, worth the extra. It is a lot quieter and very unlikely you cannot walk straight into a toilet, 2 toilets and a shower room in the first class carriage. 

Last time I went 2nd class there was a bunch of backpackers nearby. Sounded like 2 groups had met up, male & female, so you can imagine the rhetoric. I think they had alcohol in their drinks as it got more vocal as the night went on, staff had to tell them a few times to be quiet.

You can book up to 60 days in advance at any rail station. Enjoy the trip. BTW The new rolling stock also has wifi.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I would recommend the first class, worth the extra. It is a lot quieter and very unlikely you cannot walk straight into a toilet, 2 toilets and a shower room in the first class carriage. 

Last time I went 2nd class there was a bunch of backpackers nearby. Sounded like 2 groups had met up, male & female, so you can imagine the rhetoric. I think they had alcohol in their drinks as it got more vocal as the night went on, staff had to tell them a few times to be quiet.

You can book up to 60 days in advance at any rail station. Enjoy the trip. BTW The new rolling stock also has wifi.

Thanks so much for the advice. Glad to read that you enjoyed the trip. Yup, We'll go for 1st class.

Edited by Moonlover

19 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

Re alcohol on trains, stopped because 13 year old girl was raped and killed by rail employee was under influence drugs/alcohol.....sad !

And that was only 2.-3 years ago if I remember correctly .