British woman, 22, who 'could lose leg' after Thailand motorbike crash in race against time to raise £100,000

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well the hospital will want the money or else ....   now she is desperate with her legs, but if it fails the hospital only has one option  ?

It's a scary prospect to be stuck in a hospital with a bill going out of control... it's not as if you can get up and leave. Believe me, once you've stayed over a few nights it's going to cost you an arm and ....

Ok, sorry - enough.

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

They should have warning signs to stay off motorcycles while on holiday, so they can return home in one piece.

They do, but no one bothers to read them until 10mins after they've fallen off!

1 hour ago, jerojero said:

Insurance companies and their policies look to deny payouts at all costs. You think you're covered, then small print loopholes denies your claim. F. A. Holes.

If you want to take out an insurance policy then it is YOUR responsibility to ask all the right questions and read all the small print before signing up for it.

They wrote it and if you qualify then they will pay out.

If YOU missed something and try to claim for it then you will fail and it is no use complaining that nobody told you.

Due dilligence should be applied.

If the policy does not offer what you want, then find one that does,

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you want to take out an insurance policy then it is YOUR responsibility to ask all the right questions and read all the small print before signing up for it.

They wrote it and if you qualify then they will pay out.

If YOU missed something and try to claim for it then you will fail and it is no use complaining that nobody told you.

Due dilligence should be applied.

If the policy does not offer what you want, then find one that does,

True enough, but these insurance companies are very clever and misleading when glossing over the lack of coverage. 

I am currently at the stage now of requesting in a letter coverage for specific incidents to clarify their small print which is a little too vague IMO. 

i.e. falling off the back of a motorcycle taxi, Ski accidents, football accidents / injury etc... 

I've listed specifics as the wording in the policy is open to interpretation and in my opinion too vague. 

The insurance company's drag their heels in responding to such requirements. I suspect figuring they get enough business can't be bothered with an individual who is so specific about the small print and details. 

I could switch my request to another company, sure, but have already looked at a handful who will not respond to such requests. We have to choose new cover before our present cover (which we are not entirely satisfied with) runs out. 

IMO - these companies are not entirely professional in their behavior - we are running out of time and may be forced into a compromise. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

True enough, but these insurance companies are very clever and misleading when glossing over the lack of coverage. 

I am currently at the stage now of requesting in a letter coverage for specific incidents to clarify their small print which is a little too vague IMO. 

i.e. falling off the back of a motorcycle taxi, Ski accidents, football accidents / injury etc... 

Yes, those Motorcycle taxi's are murder - riding down the ski slopes with everyone kicking footballs at you...

What kind of holiday are you planning? Are you taking your own mushrooms?

Edited by ben2talk
Added question...

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

They do, but no one bothers to read them until 10mins after they've fallen off!

I've been reading them since 1981 - never took any notice. Glad I didn't.

19 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If anyone noticed, there is a Public Information Film running in advert time on UK TV warning people NOT to contribute to online pleas for crowd-funding for hospital bills after motorcycle accidents in Thailand as many turn out to be scams.

I have no idea if this case is genuine or not, but I'd check as the insurance for her riding as a passenger has been denied.

Who was driving the bike and why is the insurance invalid?

Look before you leap...

From the Beeb a few days ago:

Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) spokeswoman Susan Crown said: ""The FCO cannot pay medical bills if you are hospitalised abroad, nor can we fly you home.

"Take out an appropriate insurance policy and make sure you know what it covers you for. It may feel like an added expense but it's very worthwhile if you compare it to what you could end up paying if something goes wrong on holiday."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39978665

45 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Yes, those Motorcycle taxi's are murder - riding down the ski slopes with everyone kicking footballs at you...

What kind of holiday are you planning? Are you taking your own mushrooms?

my existing policy excludes cover when taking known hallucinogens.... 

I was referring to the 'policy small print' in the Health Care Policy I am choosing for my family and I. 

The terminology and phrasing is open to interpretation and ambiguity...  thus, at any point in the year, when taking part in any of the activities I mentioned (and many more), I am unable to determine if my medical bills will be covered 100% and have sought clarification, which is not exactly forthcoming from the insurance company.  

When taking out a policy I do not wish to be surprised as this 22 year old British lady has been. I would expect that my policy fully covers me as a passenger in a taxi, I'm not sure if the policy covers me as a passenger on a motorcycle taxi, or when skiing or if participating in competitive sports...  

Whether this is general health insurance or travel insurance the principles remain the same: No one wishes to believe they have paid for extensive medical / health / accident cover only to have the rug pulled out from under their feet over a some misleading and ambiguous terminology... 

Keep clear of those mushrooms - they impact your understanding. 

Edited by richard_smith237

44 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I've been reading them since 1981 - never took any notice. Glad I didn't.

wow, you've been riding motorcycles since 1981... they must be perfectly safe !!!.. 

It would be good if you could contribute something intelligent to this thread. 

why does she have to go home ? and risk all the time, travel and handling and possible infection from people who are not trained to handle them , etc;

thailand does have some pretty weak health care in places but it has some strong ones too; seems better option here

wow, you've been riding motorcycles since 1981... they must be perfectly safe !!!.. 

It would be good if you could contribute something intelligent to this thread. 

I'm sorry, with your huge intelligence can you please point out to me when I pointed out that they are perfectly safe?