Refrigerator

Aforek

Hello, 

3 months ago, after reading many opinions from TV members about " which aircondition to buy ", I got a Daikin inverter one, and because I am 

very satisfied, I come here to ask the same opinion, but this time about a refrigerator two doors, because mine is too small

I think of one with inverter technology, because it saves energy  : which brand ?  Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi ...?

I don't want too much sophisticated , just open, close the door as usual, enough for me 

Lazada has many, not expensive ( 10000 bahts ) ; the cheapest I saw somewhere else cost about 12-12000 bahts 

thanks for your opinion 

I have a Panasonic, smaller model about 5000 baht. My only suggestion would be to get one with auto defrost, mine has a button you push and it essentially turns off the fridge and you must the drain the drip tray manually, Not too much work but must remember to do at least every couple of weeks or it ices over.

Have larger, about 18 CF models, from Samsung, Panasonic and Hitachi currently but only inverter model is the Panasonic.  Samsung required service a few times (with parts only available from Singapore so delay) but overall works well and seems to keep cool even in hot weather (like now).  Hitachi had built in ice maker that failed and has never been able to cope with hot temperatures well (soft ice cream on hot days).  Panasonic is newest (few years) but no problems and works well.

We have a bottom freezer Panasonic. My wife is short and a bottom freezer suits her. Panasonic was the only brand offering the bottom freezer. It is a pretty large unit and has been entirely trouble free for about 8 years. 

My condo has an old Toshiba, push button to defrost. That is a pain and I will be buying another soon. Probably another Panasonic double door frost free.

I'm not totally convinced about the energy savings of an inverter vs a modern non-inverter fridge (aircons yes, fridges??).

I have tried a (ok brief) search for a proper, controlled, side-by-side comparison, nothing found. Maybe there's a reason?

10 minutes ago, Gary A said:

We have a bottom freezer Panasonic. My wife is short and a bottom freezer suits her. Panasonic was the only brand offering the bottom freezer. It is a pretty large unit and has been entirely trouble free for about 8 years. 

My condo has an old Toshiba, push button to defrost. That is a pain and I will be buying another soon. Probably another Panasonic double door frost free.

Thanks all  for your replies; Panasonic seems good, Lazada sells some with frost free system and inverter ( about 12000 bahts ) ; I take bookmarks and will show to my GF 

for the question of inverter, my electricity bill shows that my A/C, for about 130-140 hours works, I pay about 200 bahts more, so I think it's efficient , at least for A/C, why not for fridges ? 

Edited by Aforek

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

for the question of inverter, my electricity bill shows that my A/C, for about 130-140 hours works, I pay about 200 bahts more, so I think it's efficient 

I'll guess that's about a 10,000 BTU aircon then (depends upon what you set temperature is).

We had an old Mitsubishi refrigerator at the house which was a manual defrost. It was entirely too small. After we bought the MUCH larger Panasonic, I can't say that we noticed the electric bill being any higher. Of course the door gaskets on the Mitsubishi had seen better days. I am sold on inverter air cons but since new refrigerators are amazing efficient, I doubt I would pay extra for an inverter.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I'm not totally convinced about the energy savings of an inverter vs a modern non-inverter fridge (aircons yes, fridges??).

Me neither. Consumption is so low that any saving would be minimal anyway.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I have tried a (ok brief) search for a proper, controlled, side-by-side comparison, nothing found. Maybe there's a reason?

Not directly apple/apple I agree but my cost tags are:

Hatachi non inv 2008, 19.7cf, 619.77 Baht

Panasonic -- inv 2012, 19.2cf, 460.63 Baht

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

I also have a Panasonic with the freezer part at the bottom. I am not short and so this arrangement is vastly superior to having the freezer (which is rarely opened) at the top and having to constantly crouch down on the floor to get anything out of the fridge. I'm amazed that more manufacturers dont put the freezer part at the bottom as this was the number one selling point for me.

My unit has auto-defrost and LED lights that (supposedly) will last forever. It cost around 7500B on promo at BigC about 4 years ago.

Edited by KittenKong

58 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'll guess that's about a 10,000 BTU aircon then (depends upon what you set temperature is).

it's an 8.5000 BTU ( small room ) ; 28 ° instead fo 40 ° 

we replaced the old mitsubishi air con with a daikin inverter, the savings were really big, we also replaced our old fridge with a samsung inverter side by side, no problems at all and it does a great job. The earlier inverter models had problems but the latest models work much better, just depends on how much you want to spend, ours is a bigger model and was 26,000 baht, you do all your temperature adjustments etc on the outside of the door and everytime you open/close the door you can see the temps of both sides, Also bought  samsung inverter microwave recently as well, wife is very happy with all the purchases and agrees they all work very well, they also have long warranties on the inverters so only time will tell

Edited by seajae