Phuket driver’s arm severed in accident while delivering tourists to airport

webfact

Phuket driver’s arm severed in accident while delivering tourists to airport

Eakkapop Thongtub

1495601853_1-org.jpg

The driver, Thawin Chaiponrit, 51, had his left arm severed in the accident. Photo: Maikhao rescue workers

PHUKET: -- A man, who police have yet to confirm whether or not was working as an illegal taxi driver, had an arm severed in an accident while driving two Iraqi tourists to Phuket International Airport this morning (May 24).

The accident happened on Route 4026, which connects Phuket Airport to the island’s main artery, Thepkrasattri Rd, at 7am.

Police and rescue workers arrived to find a wrecked black Toyota Fortuner at the bottom of a five-metre-deep ditch after it had struck a roadside power pole.

The driver, Thawin Chaiponrit, 51, was trapped inside the vehicle.

Rescue workers used hydraulic cutters to free Mr Thawin and sped him to Thalang Hospital.

After five minutes of searching the undergrowth, rescue workers also found Mr Thawin’s severed left arm and rushed that to hospital also.

Iraqi tourists Mohammed Ali Alaa Hasan, 23, and Imran Shafiq, 32, escaped with only minor injuries, confirmed Lt Col Thanakarn Auchanaratsamee of the Sakoo Police.

Full story:  http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-driver-arm-severed-in-accident-while-delivering-tourists-to-airport-62276.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-24

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The power pole just jumped out onto the road.

These guys never learn do they ?

Looking at the wreck the 3 of them are lucky to be alive  even if armless

I never cease to be amazed at how many power poles are just lying in wait for unsuspecting riders/drivers.

They seem to be the number one enemy in Phuket.

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

An arm is frequently severed in an accident when the driver has his arm extended outside the window and the vehicle overturns.  Keeping your arms and legs inside the vehicle a safety tip that is rarely mentioned. 

Drivers most of the time sit on the right side of the vehicle to drive in Thailand. If this drivers arm was out the left hand side window, well blow me, he must have had a verrry long arm indeed. Strange comment indeed.

12 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Drivers most of the time sit on the right side of the vehicle to drive in Thailand. If this drivers arm was out the left hand side window, well blow me, he must have had a verrry long arm indeed. Strange comment indeed.

It doesn't say which arm he lost (and you can't tell from any of the photos).  I assume it is the right arm, which was extended outside the vehicle's right-side window and he was operating the steering wheel with his left hand (if he had his hand on the wheel at all).  And my remark is based on the fact that I was a PI lawyer, and probably handled over 100 upper extremity amputation cases.

It doesn't say which arm he lost (and you can't tell from any of the photos).  I assume it is the right arm, which was extended outside the vehicle's right-side window and he was operating the steering wheel with his left hand (if he had his hand on the wheel at all).  And my remark is based on the fact that I was a PI lawyer, and probably handled over 100 upper extremity amputation cases.

Good PI Lawyer !!
It clearly states left arm in the OP !!

27 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Maybe don't mention the PI Lawyer bit. "  After five minutes of searching the undergrowth, rescue workers also found Mr Thawin’s severed left arm and rushed that to hospital also.    "

1 hour ago, Tuk Dua said:

As it was his left arm that was severed, it obviously wasn't hanging out the window at the time of the accident.

Maybe his left arm is very long and was hanging out the nearside widow!!

5 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

OMG ! 

6 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I think your reading comprehension skills need serious improvement. And the mention of your PI lawyer skills is just a bit pretentious. I feel you must have failed a lot.....

14 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

An arm is frequently severed in an accident when the driver has his arm extended outside the window and the vehicle overturns.  Keeping your arms and legs inside the vehicle a safety tip that is rarely mentioned. 

When a vehicle overturns the force of inertia will force occupants without restraints through glass and ejections and amputations will occur.

The arms can be inside the vehicle and often when seatbelt restraints are used, the force of inertia will push arms through the glass to be amputated.  

Multiple rollovers causes roof and pillar crush that will also amputate arms as they are tossed around. Often surgical amputation is necessary post crash.

While riding in a bus, the isle seat away from the window in the middle of the vehicle is the safest.

17 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

IT SAYS LEFT ARM.

4 hours ago, Kabula said:

When a vehicle overturns the force of inertia will force occupants without restraints through glass and ejections and amputations will occur.

The arms can be inside the vehicle and often when seatbelt restraints are used, the force of inertia will push arms through the glass to be amputated.  

Multiple rollovers causes roof and pillar crush that will also amputate arms as they are tossed around. Often surgical amputation is necessary post crash.

While riding in a bus, the isle seat away from the window in the middle of the vehicle is the safest.

Safer !