No More Nescafe: AirAsia introduces gourmet meals to please passenger palates

snoop1130

No More Nescafe: AirAsia introduces gourmet meals to please passenger palates

By Coconuts Bangkok

87452.JPG

Photo of popular Indonesian dish, nasi goreng with fried chicken, is posted to AirAsia’s Facebook page.

AirAsia, last year’s winner for the title of World’s Leading Low-Cost Airline, is upping their game when it comes to in-flight meals.

Specializing in warm, Asian-focused cuisine, their new choices even include healthy vegetarian options.

The airline now has over 90 international dishes, with about 20 available on any single route. AirAsia wants to bring gourmet-quality food to their low-cost flights, reported Bangkok Post.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/no-nescafe-airasia-introduces-gourmet-meals-please-passenger-palates/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-5-25

Gourmet food, straight from roadside warung.... I do like Padang food and all that, but hardly qualifies as "gourmet"

Some of the best coffee is from Indonesia (Celebes, Sumatra, Java, etc).. but sometimes on visits to local families etc they would "honor" me by giving me Nescafe. Power of advertising

37 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Pants On Fire. Misleading at best. Photo is from where?  Website has no nasi goreng.  What they have is served up in a typical mini-bento box. 

nlcb.png

Read the caption under the photograph. Amazing what info you can find if you bother to read carefully first.

Obviously the pic isn't of the meal served in flight.

6 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Read the caption under the photograph. Amazing what info you can find if you bother to read carefully first.

Obviously the pic isn't of the meal served in flight.

Thanks,  but I did try to verify but didn't know which of the 76 Air Asia FB pages it was on.

Please advise were you found it

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The airline now has over 90 international dishes, with about 20 available on any single route.

20 available dishes on a domestic(!) AA flight.

How could you handle that on 45 to 60 min fligths.

If a member could provide a photo please.

A lot seems missing in the report.

Not only that, the airline now offers fresh brewed coffee on flights longer than 90 minutes and may add premium coffees in the future.

"90 minutes" gives a hint.

Last year, the carrier made just 7 percent of their revenue from onboard food sales, but the number is rising and they see an opportunity to increase it even more.

Also don't even expect that is included in any low cost flight.

"Sales" is the keyword.

A German LLC also sells food on long haul from Bangkok.

Basic "chicken/beef/pasta" stuff for 800 to 1000 Baht.

57 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Pants On Fire. Misleading at best. Photo is from where?  Website has no nasi goreng.  What they have is served up in a typical mini-bento box. 

nlcb.png

Website last week has Nasi Goreng as a meal option.

10 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I'll avoid Air Asia at all cost. Never had good experience with their flights. Delays, poor service.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I do a number of AirAsia flights each year, and never late, always arrive on time. I am not in favour of there being 'no insurance' for oldies, and their rigid 'no refunds' if you're too ill to fly.

It's an economy flight, and we get what we pay for.

I do a number of AirAsia flights each year, and never late, always arrive on time. I am not in favour of there being 'no insurance' for oldies, and their rigid 'no refunds' if you're too ill to fly.
It's an economy flight, and we get what we pay for.

You are very lucky I guess. I just had a flight last month and one passenger who had checked in bag decided not to board the flight and they removed the checked in bag which costed everyone on board 1 hour of wasted time.

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

20 available dishes on a domestic(!) AA flight.

How could you handle that on 45 to 60 min fligths.

If a member could provide a photo please.

A lot seems missing in the report.

The article is lacking in info, the Coconuts writer may not be familiar with how AirAsia works.

The 20 meal options per single route refers to all those available for pre-ordering on their website. The options change depending on the route you book.

Of course for shorter sectors there is a very limited choice available, and often no hot meal options if they haven't been booked in advance.

There simply is no way to have a full array of 20 different full meals available on most sectors, both due to length of flight and minimal turn around time on the ground

Juan B Tong - trying to get the link for you, but Facebook is stuck on a redirect to my home country AirAsia page while I'm on my mobile. It's clear though that the picture is one of those enticing 'for display only' shots, so you're quite right about it being a tad misleading. You're not going to get that delicious looking banana leaf spread plonked down on your tray table 

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

You are very lucky I guess. I just had a flight last month and one passenger who had checked in bag decided not to board the flight and they removed the checked in bag which costed everyone on board 1 hour of wasted time.

That can happen on any airline, anywhere. My own experience has been pretty good with AirAsia (and I use them often, in addition to other regional carriers)

I can recall maybe 2-3 delays of up to an hour over the past 5 years and one of several hours where the aircraft became tech in the air and we had to return to KL for a change of aircraft

AirAsia is pretty good

i'm probably very lucky with a rival low-cost airline (the one that roars). been flying with them about 1-2 times a month over the past year. never had a delayed or cancelled flight. can't say the same thing for airasia. prior to boarding, i often hear announcements of flight delays and cancellations from... you guessed it... airasia. my usual route takes no more than an hour, so i don't care much about in-flight meals.

6 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

my usual route takes no more than an hour, so i don't care much about in-flight meals.

Could not agree more.

Nice to have a little snack, juice, water and coffee/tea on ThaiSmile but could do without.

17 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

The 20 meal options per single route refers to all those available for pre-ordering on their website. The options change depending on the route you book.

Now that makes sense.

Similar to the German LLC that I referred to (Eurowings).

Order and pay with the booking.

And that's long haul, 12h.

Pay or bring your sandwiches.

I have had food poisoning only once in my life despite the fact that I have eaten Bkk streetfood and roadside food on trips all thru Thailand. I have eaten in Singapore and Hong Kong too. The only time I got food poisoning was on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Bkk. After a 1 hour stop in Singapore they served dinner. We had 2 choices and one was Nasi Goreng, my Thai partner took one bite and said yeauk and did not eat it. I thought it tasted ok and ate it. I was very ill before we passed thru immigration in Bkk and was in the loo going both ends for ages. I was ill for 4 days and ended up being taken to hospital in Nakhon Nayok where I was given 1 tiny pill and some electrolytes I was fixed almost immediately and was craving food long before we got home where I ate a very large meal. Nasi Goreng hs been off my menu ever since. That picture looks nothing like Nasi Goreng as nasi Goreng is just combination fried rice with a fried egg on top.

2 hours ago, muffy said:

Eat before the flight :post-4641-1156694572::post-4641-1156694572:

Exactly...and is it really essential to eat on a 90 minute flight? Unless you're actually unwell and MUST have regular food then either eat before or after. The whole point of budget airlines is that you pay less and cut out the non-essentials. 

I'd be happy if they simply served any food. Flight from Phuket to Chiang Mai the only option was instant noodles, they told me they only have proper meals on international flights.

Not true, you can pre-order during the booking process.
Anyway, I don't understand why someone needs proper food during a 90 minute flight...
You get what you pay.
If you want full service than fly with Thai Airways and pay the double price.
I'm happy with any LCC and their policy because I can save on the flight ticket