$$When was the last time you got RIPPED off$$

Rc2702

TV is a funny place and most if not all are in the same boat (in Thailand)

I'm looking for those that don't mind sharing a few laugh at yourself stories, you know the stories no one seems to share on here unless of course your a newbie.

I've been ripped plenty here and I'm sure its not over. Got charged 200 baht for a 1km samlor/tuktuk ride by a 97 year old driver with one eye.

On a weekly basis I'm buying two tins of beans for 39 baht a hit I'm just haemorraging baht .

So go on delve to those forgotten tines and give us some of your moments when you were truly ripped off in thailand 

Edited by Rc2702

I got fined for not paying at a toll on highway from Hua Hin to Bangkok.

I did pay but didn't get a receipt, I remember not getting a receipt and thinking it strange but by this time I was back on the highway heading for home and wasn't ( or couldn't I should say) gonna go back.

The toll was 40 baht and the fine 50 baht.

My gf's brother says this is a common scam by the toll booth operator especially when they see someone from Farangolandia who is unlikely to ask for a receipt ( aka me ! )

59 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How would you know it was the last time?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Because I'm pretty good when it comes to costs mogandave and I knew he was ripping me but given the chap was 97, 98 now I just laughed and paid. First part of language I learned was the numbers for this very reason. Anyway do you have something to share?

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I got fined for not paying at a toll on highway from Hua Hin to Bangkok.

I did pay but didn't get a receipt, I remember not getting a receipt and thinking it strange but by this time I was back on the highway heading for home and wasn't ( or couldn't I should say) gonna go back.

The toll was 40 baht and the fine 50 baht.

My gf's brother says this is a common scam by the toll booth operator especially when they see someone from Farangolandia who is unlikely to ask for a receipt ( aka me ! )

Biset khap. Receipt please. That's a tin of beans worth that.

Because I'm pretty good when it comes to costs mogandave and I knew he was ripping me but given the chap was 97, 98 now I just laughed and paid. First part of language I learned was the numbers for this very reason. Anyway do you have something to share?

1. It's only the last time if you never get ripped-off again.
2. You may have been ripped-off any number of times and not known it.

Back in 2008 when I was a newbie my GF(?) suggested we go to an elephant show, we hired the baht bus and drove around for about an hour, I thought we were well out of town. He said he would wait for us because the zoo had a shooting range and being the driver he got free shots. Upon completing a lengthy trip home in which he stopped for fuel and the hairdressers (?) he said the baht bus for the day was 800 baht and he conveniently didn't have change for my 1000. 

After several years I see that same zoo on Theprasit road, less than 10km from the hotel I was staying at the time. Of course now the area is more developed than before and doesn't look rural.

Back around 2000 I had to visit the landlord's office. Driver wanted to flat-rate 100, I insisted on the meter. Traffic was hideous and the fare on the meter ended up at 140.

I showed him...

Just now, mogandave said:

Back around 2000 I had to visit the landlord's office. Driver wanted to flat-rate 100, I insisted on the meter. Traffic was hideous and the fare on the meter ended up at 140.

I showed him...

Often the reason they don't use the meter is to cheat the cab company not the passenger. Had a cab driver fall asleep in heavy traffic in Indo once.

Fell for the "flat rate" no-meter taxi swindle on my first visit to BKK.

The driver charged 200 baht to take me from Nana to Thonglor Soi 8.

I think I actually had the last laugh insofar as I paid the equivalent of six USD and this fool seemed to think he'd really gotten over on me.

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

1. It's only the last time if you never get ripped-off again.
2. You may have been ripped-off any number of times and not known it.

If you don't know you were ripped off I dare say your not going to be discussing it. 

In HK, I had a weekly Curry lunch group - six of us would have lunch and beer and the bill was always in Chinese but very cheap. One time the guy who got the bill, looked at it and said 'no it's too much!', the waiter looked shocked and ran off, I asked our guy what was wrong, he said 'I don't know I just fancied checking'. The waiter came back apologizing profusely ' we have a new cashier, he charge you for two teas too many' - ' but we didn't have tea', 'oh excuse me' - 5 mins later he came back with the bill in English and told us they hadn't charged enough!

I was undercharged once at a restaurant I frequented most everyday for a a couple years.

I pointed it out, and the waiter misunderstood and started to argue and got the manager. The manager figured it out and gave the the waiter the what-for I felt a little bad, big that waiter apologized every day for a month.

You seem unsure. Jot down your expenditures and I'll give you a hand.

Unsure about what, your ability to both read AND comprehend?

As anyone can be cheated without their knowledge, no one has any way of knowing when they were last cheated, they only know the last time realized they had been cheated.

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Unsure about what, your ability to both read AND comprehend?

As anyone can be cheated without their knowledge, no one has any way of knowing when they were last cheated, they only know the last time realized they had been cheated.

Your over analysing the question. Thinking too much. It's a simple question others seem to be able to answer. When was the last time you knowingly (just for you) got ripped off?

Your over analysing the question. Thinking too much. It's a simple question others seem to be able to answer. When was the last time you knowingly (just for you) got ripped off?

Last time I filed my taxes?

I honesty do not remember the last time I felt cheated.

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

How would you know it was the last time?

Funny - I read "last" to mean, most recent... not that it will be the last - - anyone who rides with a 98 yr old half blind samlor driver - - well, you can't tell what might become of them next... 

By far the worst ripoff was in Australia 2006. The then PM Howard sneaked in a medicare levy of $500 for income in excess of $50,000pa.

I earned 50,300 and lost $500. Would have been better to have a few days off work without pay.

To make it worse its only a boring tax story to tell, not something more interesting or humorous like the stuff that happens in Asia.

On 2017-5-26 at 9:48 PM, kenk24 said:

Funny - I read "last" to mean, most recent... not that it will be the last - - anyone who rides with a 98 yr old half blind samlor driver - - well, you can't tell what might become of them next... 

Bit rich that I mean your kinky ken, Ken.  3 birds on the go 77 years young. The guy just appealed to me. 97 working hard still and even ripped me off in the process and to this day we share a wry smile when we cross paths no harm done at all. If he asked for more I probably would have paid up.

Bit rich that I mean your kinky ken, Ken.  3 birds on the go 77 years young. The guy just appealed to me. 97 working hard still and even ripped me off in the process and to this day we share a wry smile when we cross paths no harm done at all. If he asked for more I probably would have paid up.

So how is it you figure you got ripped off anyway?