Hunt on for stolen UK cars

rooster59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, todlad said:

Of course it's not Muggi1968.

How did I conclude that you must be a bar hopper? Read what you said, think about it, realise it was not the smartest thing you could have said! You said "Then you're failing to see the much bigger picture and seriously failing to understand how things work here"

The bigger picture

failing to see

how things work here

It's just TV speak for I heard someone saying that, I'll repeat it. You might have anecdotal evidence for some cases that you could use to gainsay what I am saying; but sustained, deep and detailed evidence? I doubt that very much.

Sounds like you just spouted anecdotal evidence, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

End the high taxes on 'luxury cars' and let the Thai market price reflect the global average and these problems will evaporate. They are only caused by frustration and desire to buy something that is readily available at a reasonable price in other markets. But ridiculously taxed here to 'protect' the Thai car industry - Patently rubbish as it is nothing but a revenue gathering exercise.

I find myself wondering if it is really about collecting money from high taxes and to protect the Thai car industry.

I think it is kept like this partly so the poor know who has the money and to get out off their way and the rich get to drive about advertising they have money !! After all the rich wouldn't want just every normal person driving around in a merc ,  bmw , etc then they would have to think off another way to show they have money !!

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

imagine you bought one of these things, paid cash and the authorities come and take it permanently; better sue the seller 

If you can find them, or if connected, forget it. 

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

imagine you bought one of these things, paid cash and the authorities come and take it permanently; better sue the seller 

Sue who?? He is in JAIL, If the price was lower than normal, you know something is up, that is all on you and if you pay cash?? Something is up!!!

14 minutes ago, gios50hk said:

Happy in what way? More crime and higher levels of crime?

Can you please point to the stats. that show the crime increase and the levels of such. Do confuse the increase of detection with an overall increase.  

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

I doubt they will go back to the UK, but the insurance companies might want a say in the matter.

For sure they not go back. Maybe the insurance companies got back the worth of the cars in the UK. The noun is for thailand.

Edited by snowgard

1 hour ago, todlad said:

Of course it's not Muggi1968.

How did I conclude that you must be a bar hopper? Read what you said, think about it, realise it was not the smartest thing you could have said! You said "Then you're failing to see the much bigger picture and seriously failing to understand how things work here"

The bigger picture

failing to see

how things work here

It's just TV speak for I heard someone saying that, I'll repeat it. You might have anecdotal evidence for some cases that you could use to gainsay what I am saying; but sustained, deep and detailed evidence? I doubt that very much.

You are correct, I have utterly failed to provide any such evidence, and certainly wouldn't be able to do so here in a public forum in any case due to the people involved and the laws here.

However, I stated "my" opinion (as most people here do), I didn't state facts.

I simply disagreed with the original poster who thinks that things have improved or are "improving" here when to my eyes it's patently obvious it's getting worse on any number of issues or fronts.

And as an aside, I don't drink and I haven't been to a bar for more than 3 years, but if that makes me a bar hopper, no problem.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Asked why Customs released cars with so-low declared prices out, Kulis said the agency would generally believe and accept the prices as stated in the submitted invoices from importers.

wow.. that's amazing. But they will stop Phones and other electronics sent here... what a joke

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

uhhh ... leme a lookie ahear ... yes i want one of do's and one of do's pretty yellow ones .... hmmmm..  maybe a green one also , . yep dat be it .....

Screenshot (19).png

18 minutes ago, Tatsujin said:

You are correct, I have utterly failed to provide any such evidence, and certainly wouldn't be able to do so here in a public forum in any case due to the people involved and the laws here.

However, I stated "my" opinion (as most people here do), I didn't state facts.

I simply disagreed with the original poster who thinks that things have improved or are "improving" here when to my eyes it's patently obvious it's getting worse on any number of issues or fronts.

And as an aside, I don't drink and I haven't been to a bar for more than 3 years, but if that makes me a bar hopper, no problem.

Everything you say is opinion or conjecture and of course we are all entitled to express them. How can you reject Muggi1968's post, then? In his opinion he feels things are improving here. Moreover, if you had asked him why he felt that instead if rubbishing him, that would have been better don't you think?

Cloak and dagger: you know about heinous crimes and criminals but if you told me you'd have to kill me. Is that one crime or a whole multitude of crimes? Enough to write off the entire country?

A point I make frequently is this: TV bar hoppers insist on filling in the blanks even where there are none. These people know all about brown envelopes, they know these cars will be spirited back onto the Thai market, they know that the British insurers have no interest in any of these cars ... you didn't say that but there are others here who already have.

A bar hopper is a generic term as you know.

16 minutes ago, todlad said:

Everything you say is opinion or conjecture and of course we are all entitled to express them. How can you reject Muggi1968's post, then? In his opinion he feels things are improving here. Moreover, if you had asked him why he felt that instead if rubbishing him, that would have been better don't you think?

Cloak and dagger: you know about heinous crimes and criminals but if you told me you'd have to kill me. Is that one crime or a whole multitude of crimes? Enough to write off the entire country?

A point I make frequently is this: TV bar hoppers insist on filling in the blanks even where there are none. These people know all about brown envelopes, they know these cars will be spirited back onto the Thai market, they know that the British insurers have no interest in any of these cars ... you didn't say that but there are others here who already have.

A bar hopper is a generic term as you know.

So I'm wrong for saying/implying the original poster is blinkered, but it's ok for you to call me a bar hopper. Got it.

And no, "bar hopper" is not a generic term, it's a specific derogatory term used to describe people who sit on bar stools drinking all day, who rarely interact with the locals outside said bars or their Isaan wife/gf, and whose opinions are worth little as they have a very blinkered approach to "what" Thailand is all about.

34 minutes ago, Tatsujin said:

So I'm wrong for saying/implying the original poster is blinkered, but it's ok for you to call me a bar hopper. Got it.

And no, "bar hopper" is not a generic term, it's a specific derogatory term used to describe people who sit on bar stools drinking all day, who rarely interact with the locals outside said bars or their Isaan wife/gf, and whose opinions are worth little as they have a very blinkered approach to "what" Thailand is all about.

I am a TV regular been here 7 years and never sat on a bar stool once. You are confusing some of us with somebody else. Rather hard to type sitting on a barstool. 

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As the vehicle importers allegedly quoted much lower prices, it was estimated that the cars – including brands such as Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin and Ferrari – evaded the high customs duty of 300 per cent which could mean the country suffered Bt3 billion in lost revenue.

There's absolutely no way that the importers managed to swing unusually low-priced luxury cars past Customs. Granted that possibly Bt 3 billion didn't make it into the governments coffers but it didn't stay in the importers bank accounts either.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Asked why Customs released cars with so-low declared prices out, Kulis said the agency would generally believe and accept the prices as stated in the submitted invoices from importers.

The hell they do.

15 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Wot glasses u looking through?

There is more truth and honesty on this forum in one day than in a month from the government!

Make mine a single malt!

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I can see quite a few 500 baht fines coming up here plus a national shortage of brown envelope paper.

Does  Customs have an inactive post policy?

Yes. It is called "The Royal Thai Customs".

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Good luck with that!

Yould be better advised to park it up and keep a low profile till this all passes over (it will of course). You never know, a well connected influential person may notice you driving around, take a shine to it and arrange its "confiscation"

Acquiring a "supercar" through such "informal avenues" will be a lot cheaper than buying one from a dealer (not that they have any stock anymore), and will I suspect prove jolly popular is certain circles for a while.