Exclusive - Tillerson declines to host Ramadan event at State Department: sources

rooster59

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So Dubai does not count because it contradicts your statements.

I have lived in Egypt for quite some time and do find darksidedog made an excellent post with which I wholeheartedly agree. Does that count?

Dubai is tolerant of other religions, it has to be for commercial reasons! so you can count it if that so pleases you, most predominately Muslim countries are intolerant of other religions.

Nice to hear that you lived in Egypt? sure you are mourning the senseless loss of 26 Coptic lives yesterday, targeted as they were in the "religious minority"

I am thrilled you found the "post" excellent" though do think you are easily pleased? & off course your opinion counts.

Have a continuing "excellent" day :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Dubai is tolerant of other religions, it has to be for commercial reasons! so you can count it if that so pleases you, most predominately Muslim countries are intolerant of other religions.

Nice to hear that you lived in Egypt? sure you are mourning the senseless loss of 26 Coptic lives yesterday, targeted as they were in the "religious minority"

I am thrilled you found the "post" excellent" though do think you are easily pleased? & off course your opinion counts.

22 people were just killed in Manchester. I guess the UK is equally intolerant.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

In both cases the common denominator is islamist fanatics.

Which are muslims, I'll sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. In your post you said "22 people were just killed in Manchester. I guess the UK is equally intolerant." But now you are saying its islamic fanatics, it's good to see you are at last coming around to our way of thinking.

Just now, vogie said:

Which are muslims, I'll sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. In your post you said "22 people were just killed in Manchester. I guess the UK is equally intolerant." But now you are saying its islamic fanatics, it's good to see you are at last coming around to our way of thinking.

No I didn't write that. I wrote "Islamist fanatics." Big difference.

23 minutes ago, CGW said:

Some more teasing and trolling, but no on topic comment. Says it all really.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

I guess debating is not your strong point, lets leave it at that before the mods take action!

If you're referring to the following, it's not an analogy.

"Which are muslims, I'll sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. In your post you said "22 people were just killed in Manchester. I guess the UK is equally intolerant." But now you are saying its islamic fanatics, it's good to see you are at last coming around to our way of thinking."

And if you think there's no difference between "Islamic" and "Islamist" tell that to Donald Trump and consider his speech to the Saudis.

Don't know how long it will take the Muslim haters to get it , if ever but....

Isis is a terrorist organisation using the Islamist banner.  Not all terrorist organisations (there are many of them) use religion as their motivation but this one does.  There are millions of Muslims in the world and it is a growing religion, unlike Christianity that is shrinking daily.  That doesn't make Muslims right and Christians wrong, it is just a fact. 

Ramadan  celebrations at the State department is a 20 year tradition. Other faiths are also celebrated. The State Dept is about diplomacy and getting along with people of different beliefs. 

This cancellation is an admission that anyone that's not their base hates this administration no matter what it does; That Their base are bigots and that this is the way to consolidate the only people they can count on.

If that is their game, the comments on this thread is proof that the administration is spot on.

Extend a hand to all faiths by State Deparment is one thing how many times do the nations of world have to get bitten before facing facts ?Namecalling Trump supporters bigots, the typical lib response when one has no valid position. Meanwhile the Jihadi "religion of peace" warriors carry on. These ones reportedly just shot them women and children in the legs affer killing all the men. How merciful of them. A religion of peace. Nonsense.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/26/donald-trump-grieves-over

9 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Namecalling Trump supporters bigots, the typical lib response when one has no valid position.

Trump calls for ‘total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States’

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on” he said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/12/07/donald-trump-calls-for-total-and-complete-shutdown-of-muslims-entering-the-united-states/?utm_term=.2b1529c3ea1c

The definition of bigotry. Even the Trumpeteers didn't think of that one.

Ban? Heck, even American muslims:

"Trump, in a formal statement from his campaign, urged a “total and complete shutdown” of all federal processes allowing followers of Islam into the country until elected leaders can “figure out what is going on.”

"Asked by The Hill whether that would include American Muslims currently abroad,

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks replied over email: “Mr. Trump says, ‘everyone.’ ”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/262348-trump-calls-for-shutdown-of-muslims-entering-us

He said it definitively. And the Lemmings cheered him.

There're aren't enough spin-doctors on the planet who can change that.

Bigotry.

52 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Extend a hand to all faiths by State Deparment is one thing how many times do the nations of world have to get bitten before facing facts ?Namecalling Trump supporters bigots, the typical lib response when one has no valid position. Meanwhile the Jihadi "religion of peace" warriors carry on. These ones reportedly just shot them women and children in the legs affer killing all the men. How merciful of them. A religion of peace. Nonsense.

If you step back from the rhetoric for a moment and ask yourself, "when did this all start?", you will see it was AFTER Afghanistan was invaded, and then subsequent other Islamic countries. By Russians, Americans and their allies. For whatever reason, millions lost their lives and the originator of those deaths was the non Islamic west.

What precisely would you do if say, Canada (just for a literal example), started bombing US Cities? Would you be angry? Would you want to retaliate?

Now before you get pissed off, step back again. 99.9% of Muslims are as nice as 99.9% of Christians and Jews and Hindi and whoever.

The 0.1% are the people saying it is pay back time. The idea of hosting a Ramadan event is to try to bridge the gap and narrow that number lower. Quite admirable you could say. Those who think it inappropriate, need to understand why it is happening, rather than decry an entire religion.And to try to stop it continuing.

And if you want to rant and scream about the "religion of peace", try googling religious intolerance by the Christians first. Trust me. We have way more to answer for.

This is not to say that for one second I agree with terrorist activity of any kind. But I do understand its origins. Dialogue though, is the way forward.

Edited by darksidedog

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Using the actions of the worst members of a group to tar an entire group. There's a word for that. 

If if you are also a Trump supporter, your post actually helps support my argument. 

Good on him then.

However I'd like to have seen him say something along the lines of "I'll host an Islamic celebration when I can go to church in Riyadh"

For those that don't know, there are NO churches in Riyadh, and even having a Christian service in one's own home would result in severe penalty if found out.

Good enough for them to ban Christianity in Saudi, good enough for the US government not to celebrate Islam in Washington.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good on him then.

However I'd like to have seen him say something along the lines of "I'll host an Islamic celebration when I can go to church in Riyadh"

For those that don't know, there are NO churches in Riyadh, and even having a Christian service in one's own home would result in severe penalty if found out.

Good enough for them to ban Christianity in Saudi, good enough for the US government not to celebrate Islam in Washington.

You do realize you are talking about the country your president choose as his first stop on his first overseas trip and bowed his head when a medal was given to him by a heridary non democratic leader and in several statements lavished more praise then he did when visiting elected leaders in Europe.

Your hypocrisy is off the scale. 

TH 

8 minutes ago, thaihome said:

You do realize you are talking about the country your president choose as his first stop on his first overseas trip and bowed his head when a medal was given to him by a heridary non democratic leader and in several statements lavished more praise then he did when visiting elected leaders in Europe.

Your hypocrisy is off the scale. 

TH 

The topic isn't about Trump.

:offtopic:

3 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Meanwhile the Jihadi "religion of peace" warriors carry on. These ones reportedly just shot them women and children in the legs affer killing all the men. How merciful of them. A religion of peace. Nonsense.

Donald Trump disagrees with you:

"This is not a battle between different faiths, different sects, or different civilizations.

This is a battle between barbaric criminals who seek to obliterate human life, and decent people of all religions who seek to protect it."

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/05/trump-saudi-speech-islam/527535/

42 minutes ago, simple1 said:

For a start the Indonesian government

That's surprising!

They just blocked a Christian from being a state governor on grounds of "blasphemy". I note that there are approximately 8% Christians in Indonesia which is about the same as Muslims in the U.K. I will research how they are treated.