british passport certified copy question

I need to get my british passport translated to Thai as I have to add my name in the tabien baan for reasons of renewing my recently expired Thai drivers license. This translation also has to be stamped by the MFA. Is there a way to make this document without gong to the british embassy?

There are a number of companies near the embassy who will get things translated and can arrange to get the translation certified by the MFA, the British Embassy won't do that anyway. I'm assuming that you don't need to get the passport certified as a being a true copy.

I don't know where you live, but I've used this company to get things translated and, on occasions certified, they're in Bangkok expresstranslationservice

EDIT - I've just read your other post where you say that the MFA have advised you that you have to get your passport certified as being a true copy, if that is indeed their requirement then you may have no option, is it the Embassy fee that's concerning you or the need to pitch up there? The translation company in the vicinity may take care of the process for you.

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

There are a number of companies near the embassy who will get things translated and can arrange to get the translation certified by the MFA, the British Embassy won't do that anyway. I'm assuming that you don't need to get the passport certified as a being a true copy.

I don't know where you live, but I've used this company to get things translated and, on occasions certified, they're in Bangkok expresstranslationservice

I was at Chaeng Wattana (Thai passport building) yesterday where I asked them to translate and MFA approve my passport and they said I had to go to the british embassy first to get the passport certified as being a true copy. I found this odd hence why I'm asking here if it is the only way to do so. The Khet office only needs a MFA stamped translation. Surely if a company (your reccommendation) can do it then it means I do not need to certify it at the british embassy.

You will note that after I read your other post, I added an edit to my post.

I'm not actually recommending that agency, I'm just saying that I've used them and they did the job for me, though not what you need doing, I'm sure there are other companies equally as good.

10 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You will note that after I read your other post, I added an edit to my post.

I'm not actually recommending that agency, I'm just saying that I've used them and they did the job for me, though not what you need doing, I'm sure there are other companies equally as good.

Sorry, my mistake for saying you were reccommending the company. I should have said the one you used before. 

Yes, it's the fee as well as how you sometimes don't get all the information needed. This has happened to me several times throughout the years with different departments.

I still find it odd that a company can do this service (translate and MFA stamp) whilst at the same time MFA person said I need to go to the embassy. Thats why I asked for some advise/ experience here. Thanks for your input oldgit. 

I tried to get my passport translated and certified last week. And they told me, to go to my embassy first. Get certified copy at embassy first. Then get it translated and certified. So I went my embassy and they told me, that they CAN'T certifiy (stamp and sign) my passport, because it would be just a copy of passport. And they CAN'T certify copies. I went back to thai ministry, they again refused translate and certify my passport without bringing certified copy from my embassy. I went back to embassy and they again refused certify copy of my passport.

I never got certified copy of my passsport... . No idea how to get it. Enjoy!!!

The British Embassy can and does certify British Passport copies and is the only one that MFA will accept.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

OP, if you really need to get a yellow Tabien Baan (As unless you are a PR, then you cannot be entered on to a blue Tabien Baan) then I don't see that you have any choice but to pay for this service from the Embassy, don't forget to make an appointment first as well.

Edited by Mattd

Would it not be easier to simply get a letter from immigration & not bother with the Tabien Baan?

And In tribute to the late John Noakes I respectfully add "Here's one I prepared earlier:smile:

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

I tried to get my passport translated and certified last week. And they told me, to go to my embassy first. Get certified copy at embassy first. Then get it translated and certified. So I went my embassy and they told me, that they CAN'T certifiy (stamp and sign) my passport, because it would be just a copy of passport. And they CAN'T certify copies. I went back to thai ministry, they again refused translate and certify my passport without bringing certified copy from my embassy. I went back to embassy and they again refused certify copy of my passport.

I never got certified copy of my passsport... . No idea how to get it. Enjoy!!!

And your nationality is...?

I had mine done at the British Embassy, photocopied and stamped as a certified true copy. Typical British Government rip-off, photo-copy a passport page, stamp it, and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.

For translation services, as you come out of the embassy turn right, go up to the traffic lights, turn left and cross the road and there is a brilliant translation service there that will do the translation AND legalisation for you at reasonable rates. Call back after 3 days or so to collect. The good thing about them is if they've got it wrong they'll put it right at their own expense. See map and street view below. Also stamp from translators on one of the documents..

I've also got both translation done and the red and green legalisation stamp certifying the translation done at the District Offices at Chang Wattana  (on the main road before the overpass and flying a dirty great Thai flag so you can't miss it. There are loads of translation touts there who will take your photo-copies and translate them and you can go upstairs and pay the fees and get the legalisation done.

Translate.jpg

Translator.jpg

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

The British Embassy can and does certify British Passport copies and is the only one that MFA will accept.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

OP, if you really need to get a yellow Tabien Baan (As unless you are a PR, then you cannot be entered on to a blue Tabien Baan) then I don't see that you have any choice but to pay for this service from the Embassy, don't forget to make an appointment first as well.

Not a PR, married to a Thai and on a spouse visa. If there's no choice then so be it, that is really what I want to know. But it puzzles me how a company can offer this service and do it for you without going to the embassy. This doesn't make any sense. 

Yes, noted that appointment has to be made.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Would it not be easier to simply get a letter from immigration & not bother with the Tabien Baan?

And In tribute to the late John Noakes I respectfully add "Here's one I prepared earlier:smile:

Drivers license dept did not give me that option. This is the one at Nong Chok. I will find out again but I think getting my name in the tabien baan might be more convenient in the long haul if more matters pertaining to my address comes up.

1 minute ago, bkkexplorer said:

Not a PR, married to a Thai and on a spouse visa. If there's no choice then so be it, that is really what I want to know. But it puzzles me how a company can offer this service and do it for you without going to the embassy. This doesn't make any sense. 

I think that Oldgit was referring to a translation company going to the Embassy on your behalf.

If it is for a driving licence, then why not do as evadgib suggests, it would be far easier so long as you are making 90 day reports to CW immigration?

"I had mine done at the British Embassy, photocopied and stamped as a certified true copy. Typical British Government rip-off, photo-copy a passport page, stamp it, and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege."

Yes, seems like a rip off just to photocopy and stamp, hence was asking for alternates. thanks for your input.

3 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

Drivers license dept did not give me that option. This is the one at Nong Chok

Really, that would be a first if it is correct, I've never heard of DLT not accepting a residence certificate from Thai immigration.

Just now, Mattd said:

I think that Oldgit was referring to a translation company going to the Embassy on your behalf.

If it is for a driving licence, then why not do as evadgib suggests, it would be far easier so long as you are making 90 day reports to CW immigration?

Besides oldgit's reference, I also made queries to another company and they said they offer this service without quoting the fee of going to the embassy. This is why I'm puzzled. If that is true, then I'm missing something.

Just now, bkkexplorer said:

Besides oldgit's reference, I also made queries to another company and they said they offer this service without quoting the fee of going to the embassy. This is why I'm puzzled. If that is true, then I'm missing something.

I would be surprised and wary if MFA would accept this, there are some MFA approved translation services, not sure if these are allowed to certify a passport as a true copy.

1 minute ago, bkkexplorer said:

They didn't mention it as an option, not saying its not true.

I am 99.99% sure it is a viable option and the one used by most, a lot of Foreigners here either cannot be bothered or are not able to get a Yellow Tabien Baan.

12 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I am 99.99% sure it is a viable option and the one used by most, a lot of Foreigners here either cannot be bothered or are not able to get a Yellow Tabien Baan.

I'm sure you're right, not doubting you. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, you never get the full information at relevant offices. Thats why thaivisa is my go to for more info.

Edited by bkkexplorer
phone call to vehicle dept made just now... You are 100% correct Matt, they confirmed this is an option.

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I would be surprised and wary if MFA would accept this, there are some MFA approved translation services, not sure if these are allowed to certify a passport as a true copy.

The service offered included translation and MFA approval. Yes, i'm surprised that the company offered the service after having heard what MFA said.

@cliveshep

I had mine done at the British Embassy, photocopied and stamped as a certified true copy. Typical British Government rip-off, photo-copy a passport page, stamp it, and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.

HMG set the prices worldwide.

Doing it in person enables them to confirm that the holder is the person in the ppt and that it remains valid; I therefore cannot understand how 3rd parties are able to do it as others have claimed. In the absence of further details it is fair to assume theirs is duff info that has been superseded.

The OP should also note the difference between 'Certified True Copy' and 'Statutory Declaration' as I suspect he's leaning towards the latter.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

20 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

You have it wrong. YOU have to trot along to the Embassy having first made your appointment. They take your passport from you and do the certified copy and hand both back to you after a short wait.

THEN you take it to the translation company. If you use the one I recommended they will do the legalisation for you at Chan Wattana and call you when docs are ready to collect. Alternatively they will post them to you. If you married in the UK you'll also need legalised translations of apostilled copies of your birth and marriage certificates which have to go to the Thai Embassy in London for inspection and stamping before you can get them translated and legalised in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

After all the replies on my question it seems that a visit to the embassy is the only way for MFA to accept my translation of a certified copy, which I fully understand why. Thanks for all your inputs.

In that case you may find this useful :smile:

Edited by evadgib

23 minutes ago, evadgib said:

@cliveshep

HMG set the prices worldwide.

Doing it in person enables them to confirm that the holder is the person in the ppt and that it remains valid; I therefore cannot understand how 3rd parties are able to do it as others have claimed. In the absence of further details it is fair to assume theirs is duff info that has been superseded.

Yes, indeed the FCO sets the fees worldwide, I have to remember that whenever I use Consular Services at the Embassy not to make sarcastic comments to the staff behind the glass, they are normally pretty good, don't set the fees and their daily wage is probably less than the service I'm buying.

I had my passport certified when I got married late last year, and was able to use it again to open a bank account in the IOM, the wording actually is "This is a true copy made by me of an original British passport, presented to me by THEOLDGIT, identified by British passport number 123456789".

The wording suggests to me that it needs to be presented in person by the passport holder, and this is what I did and then the agent got it translated and signed off by the MFA.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

BUMP - Following on from this thread rather than starting a new one: 

I too will be renewing my Thai Drivers License. Instead of using the Affirmation of Residence document I figured it time to get the Tambien Baan (Yellow Book).

As such I will do the following: 

1) Obtain a Certified Copy of my Passport (from the British Embassy - Appointment has been booked)

2) Go out to Chaengwattana - Get the Certified Copy of My Passport Translated into Thai

3) Get the Thai Translation of my Certified Copy of My Passport certified by the MFA (3rd floor Chaengwattana office)

4) Make an appointment with the Amphur office.

5) Submit Documents:

- Marriage Certificate

- Thai Translation of my Certified Copy of My Passport certified by the MFA

- Actual Passport

- Blue House Book (in Wife's Name)

- Wife's ID Card

- I think we also need a Thai Witness, so I'll take my Thai Brother in Law with me. 

Question: stage 1 - Do I need to take anything with me other than my Passport to the British Embassy to get the certified copy of my Passport? i.e. Do I need to bring my own Colour Photocopy of my Passport or do the Embassy do that? Just the ID page, or every page of the passport? etc...

Have I missed anything ???

For anyone who lives in Rayong the transport office is not accepting the yellow book or pink foreigners ID card and is forcing everyone to go to Map ta Phut immigration office for a registration certificate at 500baht a pop. I thought it was supposed to be free (wait one week or pay immediately) but apparently Rayong immigration even has it's own desk for this service now (times must be hard).