Squealing sound from car brakes

hobz

2 minutes ago, hobz said:

Update,

Back in july honda cleaned the breaks and removed a scratch on one of the brakes. After that the sound stopped completely around 2 weeks. Then it came back more and more again.

Went back to honda again, they cleaned again, only to have noise come back again after a couple of days!

Went back to honda a third time. At this point they said "it's normal, it can happen for the first few brakes when the car has been sitting still for a couple of hours" .. I didn't argue because I don't want to have a bad relationship with these people..

Now what do I do?

Is there some garage in Chiang Mai that I can go to besides the official honda one?

Should I raise this issue further with Honda? How? 

Buy some soft pads and get them fitted....PM JoeW for his thoughts...You can buy soft pads in LOS, cannot think of the name at the mo......

Did they put anti squeal stuff on the pads...?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Buy some soft pads and get them fitted....PM JoeW for his thoughts...You can buy soft pads in LOS, cannot think of the name at the mo......

Did they put anti squeal stuff on the pads...?

Ok, they didnt say anything about putting anti squeal stuff on the pads. Why wouldn't they?? 

If i can find a good garage in cm i can ask them to put the anti squeal stuff..

Update: my Ranger front disks stopped squeaking too. Then a few weeks later, they started again but just for a couple of days and first thing in the morning just like before. Then they stopped again for ages. Nice, shiny rotors too. No dust.

Still quiet right now but waiting for a cooler morning and the humidity to change... [insert yawn emoticon here]

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Update: my Ranger front disks stopped squeaking too. Then a few weeks later, they started again but just for a couple of days and first thing in the morning just like before. Then they stopped again for ages. Nice, shiny rotors too. No dust.

Still quiet right now but waiting for a cooler morning and the humidity to change... [insert yawn emoticon here]

are you trying to mock me? 

4 hours ago, hobz said:

are you trying to mock me? 

Yeah.

But before you get your panties in a bunch, take it to another Honda shop. And don't be all coy about pissing them off if you think they're giving you a runaround answer. By the same token, don't be to stunned if they say it is heat, humidity and 'normal' as well. Who knows, it could be your driving habits too.

Not sure but on their website, there's at least 6 Honda facilities in Chiang Mai.

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yeah.

But before you get your panties in a bunch, take it to another Honda shop. And don't be all coy about pissing them off if you think they're giving you a runaround answer. By the same token, don't be to stunned if they say it is heat, humidity and 'normal' as well. Who knows, it could be your driving habits too.

Not sure but on their website, there's at least 6 Honda facilities in Chiang Mai.

Good idea. Im pretty sure its dust or rust. Because when they clean everything it goes away for a few days at least. And yes, they say its normal and not to worry. I believe them.

But i still cant accept that its impossible to get rid of the noise..

What type of driving habits would promote this type of thing? Breaking hard? Breaking too often? Breaking too little? Never breaking hard? 

8 hours ago, transam said:

Disc brakes do not accumulate dust as drums do, if disc rust, it is scraped off as soon as you use the brakes...So you can dismiss those two points...Anti squeal stuff for the back of the pads was created for issues like yours.

Ok, attached photo of what i hope is something u wanted to see.

It seems like silver

P_20170919_133605.jpg

10 hours ago, transam said:

Disc brakes do not accumulate dust as drums do, if disc rust, it is scraped off as soon as you use the brakes...So you can dismiss those two points...Anti squeal stuff for the back of the pads was created for issues like yours.

Hey trans, a lot of people swear by B Quik. I've never tried them. Do you think they would have the ant-squeal paste that the OP needs to try?

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Ok, attached photo of what i hope is something u wanted to see.

It seems like silver

P_20170919_133605.jpg

Clean, shiny rotors there. Not sure about the orangey-brown edges though. Is that rust on the unused bits of the rotors? High humidity? Rotors not drying out? Rotors from a bad batch of steel that need changing?

Edited by NanLaew

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Clean, shiny rotors there. Not sure about the orangey-brown edges though. Is that rust on the unused bits of the rotors? High humidity? Rotors not drying out? Rotors from a bad batch of steel that need changing?

Haha no idea what any of that is? Its not the brakes?? :)

b-quik is scammers i heard.. Go there to check the brakes and they will try to change the engine, or so ive heard.

I will check if that orange stuff is rust.. It didnt look like rust when i used my eyes.. But in the photo it does... Hmm.....

Edited by hobz

Hi heres some general guidance, some which has already been mentioned:-

- Brakes can squeal , its not a fault as such

- First ensure if it is meant to have shims ( probably), that they havnt been left out. Anti squeal compound will help for sure but dont be surprised if the noise comes back a few weeks later.

-Ditto chamfers on leading edges.

- A change of compound ( different pads) , may well cure it though . Take out the pads and ensure you actually have genuine Honda written on the back !

-In many cases squeal will eventually go , when you least expect it . As well as bedding in the natural dust and gunk accumulation in the caliper around the pads does often stop the noise.

- Braking style? .. Harder works better , its the very gentle braking in traffic jams from cold where you mostly get this problem.

-What is the orange  on the disc? ..Yes it's rust perfectly and is normal , the rust is cleared by the swipe of the pads leaving it just on the edge and around the bell. Brand new discs are mostly plated all over, however not only does the pad take this off ( After first few km from new) but the heat burns it off to, particularly around the disc edge hence a car with 3000km is likely to have surface rust here soon after new ...all fine. After more mileage you get crud build up on edge of disc so you dont see the orange ... just looks dark grey.

- What is the 'graunching' noise when first braking in the morning ? Yes surface rust on the friction surface from overnight moisture in the air ..all normal , first stomp on the brakes should clear it....hope this helps.

Edited by Rolanddrums

3 minutes ago, Rolanddrums said:

Hi heres some general guidance, some which has already been mentioned:-

- Brakes can squeal , its not a fault as such

- First ensure it is meant to have shims ( probably), that they havnt been left out. Anti squeal compound will help for sure but dont be surprised if the noise comes back a few weeks later.

-Ditto chamfers on leading edges.

- A change of compound ( different pads) , may well cure it though . Take out the pads and ensure you actually have genuine Honda written on the back !

-In many cases squeal will eventually go , when you least expect it . As well as bedding in the natural dust and gunk accumulation in the caliper around the pads does often stop the noise.

- Braking style? .. Harder works better , its the very gentle braking in traffic jams from cold where you mostly get this problem.

-What is the orange  on the disc? Yes its rust perfectly and is normal , the rust is cleared by the swipe of the pads leaving it just on the edge and around the bell. Brand new discs are mostly plated all over however not only does the pad take this off ( First few km from new) but the heat burns it off to particularly around the edge hence a car with 3000km is likely to have surface rust here soon after new ...all fine. After more mileage you get grub build up on edge of disc so you dont seee the orange ... just looks dark grey.

-Graunching noise when first braking in the morning ? Yes surface rust on the friction surface from overnight moisture in the air ..all normal , first stomp on the brakes should clear it....hope this helps.

Great post, lots of info to decode and store :) thanks m8

9 hours ago, hobz said:

Haha no idea what any of that is? Its not the brakes?? :)

b-quik is scammers i heard.. Go there to check the brakes and they will try to change the engine, or so ive heard.

I will check if that orange stuff is rust.. It didnt look like rust when i used my eyes.. But in the photo it does... Hmm.....

B-quik are  not scammers but they are a 0business there to point stuff out and make money, your decision to act on stuff or not.

If ANY of you lot have a genuine problem at B-quik you PM me as l have connections, and NO l am not on the payroll.

No problem, Ive just decoded a couple of typos. Worst pads Ive ever used for squeal are Ferodo DS3000 full competition pads .... Just happen to be best braking performance ever to ...ooh well .. this is not recommended or legal on the road anyway, but makes you feel like a braking god with their bite and lack of fade. Interestingly oversize brakes often squeal more on the road than smaller set ups, partly because they struggle to get any heat in them when in traffic etc.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Hey trans, a lot of people swear by B Quik. I've never tried them. Do you think they would have the ant-squeal paste that the OP needs to try?

No idea, but l suppose l could contact my connection and discuss the OP's problem..

For sure they will for starters reface the discs and install new pads. They use Bendix pads, had them fitted to the Vigo and they squeaked a bit when cold until they bedded in over a few hundred KM..

On 2017-05-31 at 9:00 AM, JAS21 said:

Yes ... as do a number of other suggestions... take it back to Honda and let them sort ... don't tell them someone power washed the brakes though. As an aside have you got your english handbook yet?   Mrs J, well actually me, has been waiting a couple of month now for one for her RS Civic ... I'm now getting somewhat unhappy with our dealer as that was part of the deal.

Take it back and let them have a go ... if they fix it fine ... if not ask them to have another go at your six month service.  Trans is probably spot on ... anti squeal compound gone ... 

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals